HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011-2012 Rangers - Lineup

Old
04-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
2011-2012 Rangers - Lineup

The season is over. We might as well discuss the future!
I believe the Rangers are slowly improving as a team. They do have a lot to learn from these playoffs and our playoffs 2 years ago. Both playoff appearances had a few things in common:
1. A clear lack of scoring ability - We only scored 8 goals in 5 playoff games in this series. I believe we did not do much better 2 years ago.
Solutions -
A. Gaborik - Keep him healthy by playing him with 2 guys who can do all the dirty work for him in Boyle and Callahan.
B. Kreider - if he is ready, give him a chance!

2. A horrible powerplay - 1 for 22 on the PP? That will rarely allow a team to win a playoff series, regardless of who you are playing!
Solutions -
A. Del Zotto - He had a typical sophomore slump. It happens. Give him another shot next season!
B. Continue to work on puck movement

3. Lack of a true #1 PP Quarterback - Guys like Staal, Girardi, McCabe and Gilroy are not ideal Dmen for the PP. The are decent for a 2nd PP unit maybe, but not for the 1st PP unit. We simply dont have a Green or even a Carlson.
Solutions:
A. Del Zotto - I really do believe that he could be a key PP guy for us. He is capable of making those long tape to tape passes that none of our other D can do!
B. Gilroy - Keep him! For all the hate he gets on these boards, he was probably our best puck-moving dman in the playoffs! He was the our only dman to be able to get through the neutral zone and into the Caps zone at least a few times per game.

4. Lack of a Transition Game - We tend to have a very hard time getting out of our own zone due to a lack of crisp,quick passing and crisp skating.
Solutions:
A. Del Zotto, Gilroy - Again, get these guys more involved on the PP.
B. Change D pairings - Staal with Girardi is a very defensive pairing, same for Sauer with McDonaugh. You want an offensive dman with a defensive dman...like Leetch with Beukeboom type of thing. When you have 2 defensive dmen together, they both will continuously try to just give the puck to each other...neither will feel comfortable moving up the ice! We had this issue against the Caps in all 5 games!

Those are the main problems I see. I think our D defensively for the most part is solid. Lundqvist was great as always. All 4 problems I pointed out have 1 thing in common: Offense. Therefore, we definitely need to make some changes to improve in that area.

Here is the lineup I want to see in 2011-2012:
Gaborik - Boyle - Callahan
Dubinsky - Stepan - Wolski
Fedotenko - Anisimov - MZA/Kreider
Prust - Drury - Avery
Christensen,Boogaard

Staal - Del Zotto
Girardi - Gilroy
Sauer - McDonaugh

Lundqvist
Biron

Let go of the following:
Frolov - totally useless all year
Prospal - I love him, but he looked tired and old in the playoffs. He gave his all , but its time for us to make room for the kids.
McCabe - Did ok, but did struggle at times in the playoffs and would probably cost us too much to keep anyway. Much rather play Del Zotto!
Eminger - If he comes cheaply, maybe keep him as a 7th dman. If not, then again give a guy like Valentenko a shot.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:29 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

vCash: 500
2 things:

1) We already have 500 offseason/next season threads

2) Boyle as our first line center must be a joke.

04-23-2011, 09:30 PM
gers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
The season is over. We might as well discuss the future!
I believe the Rangers are slowly improving as a team. They do have a lot to learn from these playoffs and our playoffs 2 years ago. Both playoff appearances had a few things in common:
1. A clear lack of scoring ability - We only scored 8 goals in 5 playoff games in this series. I believe we did not do much better 2 years ago.
Solutions -
A. Gaborik - Keep him healthy by playing him with 2 guys who can do all the dirty work for him in Boyle and Callahan.
B. Kreider - if he is ready, give him a chance!

2. A horrible powerplay - 1 for 22 on the PP? That will rarely allow a team to win a playoff series, regardless of who you are playing!
Solutions -
A. Del Zotto - He had a typical sophomore slump. It happens. Give him another shot next season!
B. Continue to work on puck movement

3. Lack of a true #1 PP Quarterback - Guys like Staal, Girardi, McCabe and Gilroy are not ideal Dmen for the PP. The are decent for a 2nd PP unit maybe, but not for the 1st PP unit. We simply dont have a Green or even a Carlson.
Solutions:
A. Del Zotto - I really do believe that he could be a key PP guy for us. He is capable of making those long tape to tape passes that none of our other D can do!
B. Gilroy - Keep him! For all the hate he gets on these boards, he was probably our best puck-moving dman in the playoffs! He was the our only dman to be able to get through the neutral zone and into the Caps zone at least a few times per game.

4. Lack of a Transition Game - We tend to have a very hard time getting out of our own zone due to a lack of crisp,quick passing and crisp skating.
Solutions:
A. Del Zotto, Gilroy - Again, get these guys more involved on the PP.
B. Change D pairings - Staal with Girardi is a very defensive pairing, same for Sauer with McDonaugh. You want an offensive dman with a defensive dman...like Leetch with Beukeboom type of thing. When you have 2 defensive dmen together, they both will continuously try to just give the puck to each other...neither will feel comfortable moving up the ice! We had this issue against the Caps in all 5 games!

Those are the main problems I see. I think our D defensively for the most part is solid. Lundqvist was great as always. All 4 problems I pointed out have 1 thing in common: Offense. Therefore, we definitely need to make some changes to improve in that area.

Prust - Drury - Avery
Christensen,Boogaard

Staal - Del Zotto
Girardi - Gilroy
Sauer - McDonaugh

Lundqvist
Biron

Let go of the following:
Frolov - totally useless all year
Prospal - I love him, but he looked tired and old in the playoffs. He gave his old , but its time for us to make room for the kids.
McCabe - Did ok, but did struggle at times in the playoffs and would probably cost us too much to keep anyway. Much rather play Del Zotto!
Eminger - If he comes cheaply, maybe keep him as a 7th dman. If not, then again give a guy like Valentenko a shot.
if brian boyle is our first line center we are in big big trouble

gers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:34 PM
John Torturella

In terms of Del Zotto, long tape-to-tape passes dont directly translate into powerplay success. Plus, teams know thats what Del Zotto tries to do, therefore limiting its effectiveness. It can be weapon, if he learns to be less predictable.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
I disagree.
Boyle was one of our leaders in the regular season with 21 goals. He had the most shots on goal against the Caps and was our best Center against the Caps. It was his first playoff experience ever so clearly he was a bit nervous. I believe if he works on getting his shot up a bit, he will continue to score 20-30 goals per season.

Also, we clearly do not have a pure #1 Center. Dubinsky, Anisimov and Stepan are also all more like #2 Centers. So you might as well put Gaborik with a guy like Boyle who can do all the dirty work so Gaborik doesnt get injured. Against the Caps, the few times Boyle was on the ice with Gaborik, Gaborik ended up wide open when Boyle went to the net. Its a very good combination.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:35 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Boyle first line C? What creativity does he have?

My lineup is:

Dubinsky--Richards--Gaborik

Kreider--Stepan--Callahan

Hagelin--Anisimov--Thomas

Prust--Boyle--Avery

Staal--Girardi

McD--Sauer

MDZ--Emminger (Mcllrath crosses fingers)

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post

My lineup is:

Prust--Boyle--Avery

Staal--Girardi

McD--Sauer

With that specific personel, I'd go with:

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Ansimov - Callahan
Hagelin - Stepan - Thomas
Avery - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
Del Zotto - Eminger

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:58 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post

My lineup is:

Prust--Boyle--Avery

Staal--Girardi

McD--Sauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
With that specific personel, I'd go with:

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Ansimov - Callahan
Hagelin - Stepan - Thomas
Avery - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
Del Zotto - Eminger
I think you guys have waaayyy too many kids in the line up.

I think Wolski may still stick around. I also expect one of Prospal/Fedotenko to be back, and maybe even MZA over one of the other people who are considered stretches to make the team.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
I think you guys have waaayyy too many kids in the line up.

I think Wolski may still stick around. I also expect one of Prospal/Fedotenko to be back, and maybe even MZA over one of the other people who are considered stretches to make the team.
Like I said, with the personel he picked. I didn't like his lines.

Old
04-23-2011, 10:01 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Like I said, with the personel he picked. I didn't like his lines.
Agreed, but a couple years down the road I like the look of that team

Old
04-23-2011, 10:02 PM
satrabyk

Wait im reading the OP first solution write play Gaborik with Boyle and Callahan to keep him healthy. LMFAO. This is insane man. Do u honestly think that line would produce? Better yet u think that is a solution? lol. Ok i read on a little and it gets worse W2 on our second line LMFAO again. YOu must be a 10 year old kid posting some video game line-up. Please get real man. And to say Frolov was totally useless also shows your hockey IQ. Frolov would have helped this team in the playoffs more than most of our forwards.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:05 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Prospal - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Hagelin - Stepan - Zuccarello/Ryder
Fedetenko - Boyle - Prust
Veteran UFA 13th forward

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
Del Zotto - Valentenko/Gilroy/UFA

I would try and package one of Anisimov or Stepan + for an elite offensive defenseman.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:06 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Veteran UFA 13th forward

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer

I would try and package one of Anisimov or Stepan + for an elite offensive defenseman.
Ewwwww Ryder

Old
04-23-2011, 10:07 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

If he's cheap, I think he's a pretty solid 3rd line option for a year, as a stop gap.

Old
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Veteran UFA 13th forward

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer

More or less. Hagelin definitely belongs on the 3rd line with Stepan. If no better option is available, then yes to Prospal for one more year.

Old
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I don't like Vinny P on the top line, he's more of a playmaker than a scorer. I want a top 6 forward if we're doing any trading.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
I disagree.
Boyle was one of our leaders in the regular season with 21 goals. He had the most shots on goal against the Caps and was our best Center against the Caps. It was his first playoff experience ever so clearly he was a bit nervous. I believe if he works on getting his shot up a bit, he will continue to score 20-30 goals per season.

Also, we clearly do not have a pure #1 Center. Dubinsky, Anisimov and Stepan are also all more like #2 Centers. So you might as well put Gaborik with a guy like Boyle who can do all the dirty work so Gaborik doesnt get injured. Against the Caps, the few times Boyle was on the ice with Gaborik, Gaborik ended up wide open when Boyle went to the net. Its a very good combination.
1. Boyle is not skilled
2. Boyle does not have vision
3. Boyle cannot keep up with Gaborik
4. Gaborik would go to europe if he was put with Boyle, not that it would be a such a bad thing haha.
5. It does not matter how big u are, hes not i.e Perry so he will not create space for him. If anything Prust creates the most space on the ice for guys than any Ranger, wait Boyle happened to play with Prust.

Old
04-23-2011, 10:08 PM
I Am Classless

Gaborik - Richards - Callahan
Dubinsky - Stepan - Zuccarello/Wolski
Fedotenko - Anisimov - Kreider/Hagelin/Zuccarello
Prust - Boyle - The Triumphant Return of Alex Frolov (recast as a grinder, the role in which he actually looked useful)
Christensen

Staal - Del Zotto (cross fingers)
McDonagh - Girardi
Sauer - Valentenko
Gilroy

Lundqvist
Biron

If Gaborik and Richards perform in line with their career numbers and if we see a strong season from one of Del Zotto or (really grasping for straws here) Gilroy, we will not be a bad offensive hockey team.

I Am Classless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:10 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Veteran UFA 13th forward

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer

Now this lineup makes a little more sense, minus Vinny P hes clearly finished. Avery slides into the 13 forward role if he takes a pay cut and wants to stay.

Old
04-23-2011, 10:12 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
More or less. Hagelin definitely belongs on the 3rd line with Stepan. If no better option is available, then yes to Prospal for one more year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I don't like Vinny P on the top line, he's more of a playmaker than a scorer. I want a top 6 forward if we're doing any trading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Now this lineup makes a little more sense, minus Vinny P hes clearly finished.
I only threw him on there because I couldn't think of anybody who would be a better fit. Maybe if Kreider decides to sign, he could play 3rd line, and Hagelin could get a chance there, he sounds like a pretty versatile player.

Old
04-23-2011, 10:13 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Now this lineup makes a little more sense, minus Vinny P hes clearly finished.
Vinny's not "clearly finished."

He just does not fit the role of a scorer.

In fact, to be honest I'd want him to center a bottom 6 line instead of Boyle and move Boyle to the wing.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Ke11y96

Quote:

In fact, to be honest I'd want him to center a bottom 6 line instead of Boyle and move Boyle to the wing.
I really gotta go against this thought process, most of the year the stories were "Prospals gonna retire, Season ending surgery..." Then outta no where he's suited to play? I think he's done plus his skating is bad real bad much worse then what he gave last year..Safe to say Prospal played out one more season and his gonna call it quits, there's not way his knee could go another full season.

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:27 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Prust - Drury - Avery
Christensen,Boogaard
That line up, with those two guys in those spots and drury in the lineup gets us at best just as far as we did this year. Kreider probably won't even be in camp. And let's be realistic here Brian Boyle IS NOT a cup winning teams #1 center on any team.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:29 PM
I Am Classless

We don't need a playmaking center! We just need a really, really big center

I Am Classless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:30 PM
satrabyk

Quote:

No way i take Vinny P on the third or fourth line over other guys we could put there. Young or Vet anyone but not him, hes too slow.