HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Gaborik.

Old
04-23-2011, 09:32 PM
John Torturella

vCash: 500
Trade Gaborik.

I'm done with this guy as a Ranger. I know a good amount of posters may disagree. I had been pretty supportive of him all season. I understand he hurt his shoulder which may have had some effect. But its time for him to go before its too late.

His injury history is deeply concerning. You have to get rid of him when you can get value for him. Now is the right time because everyone thinks he just had a down year. Was it a down year or is his body so broken down that we may never see the superbly talented player we had last year? He floated around the ice all season. If that was due to injury, this is just bad. If he can not play hard now, what is he gonna be like in 2 years?

We have an injury prone, big contract player, who floats around, doesnt fit the system we play, didnt show up in the playoffs or down the stretch, who in all likelihood will only break down even more as time goes by.

It would be a good decision to at least see what you can get for him this summer. If we can get a fair offer for him, Id say pull the trigger. What would it take for you guys to trade him?

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Ail
k.

It would take not getting someone for him to play with who isn't Christensen and Prospal. No disrespect to Vinny P.

04-23-2011, 09:33 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

You don't EVER EVER EVER trade when someone's value is low.

Now is not the time to trade him.

04-23-2011, 09:35 PM
iamaranger

Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
if we get good value out of it...sure

if we cant, hold on to him and hope he bounces back/or can gel with richards if we get him

iamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:36 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
You don't EVER EVER EVER trade when someone's value is low.

Now is not the time to trade him.
Who is to say his value isnt at that highest it will be right now? I know we are all hoping for a rebound. But if that doesnt happen, your really screwed. No one is gonna take on that contract for a player two years removed from living up to it.

Old
04-23-2011, 09:38 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Who do you possibly think they can get back that will improve this team by trading Gaborik?

Because you can't just say trade him for the sake of trading him, who would you plan on getting to improve the team?

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:40 PM
3Four3

To NYR: Joe Thornton, Dany Heatley, Joe Pavelski, 1st round pick;

To SJ: Marian Gaborik, Erik Christensen, Kris Newbury, 5th round pick.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Richard Brads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Who is to say his value isnt at that highest it will be right now? I know we are all hoping for a rebound. But if that doesnt happen, your really screwed. No one is gonna take on that contract for a player two years removed from living up to it.
if management has decided they are willing to trade him, they give him til 1/4 mark of the season next year. if he starts cold, his trade value at that point is not any lower than it is now. if he starts hot, it goes up. unless they can hose someone in the offseason of course, then IMO, that'd be their strategy.

IMO, i think if you get richards you get him to play with gaborik, so right now it's a wait and see.

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:41 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
Who do you possibly think they can get back that will improve this team by trading Gaborik?

Because you can't just say trade him for the sake of trading him, who would you plan on getting to improve the team?
Any young player on a reasonable contract that fits the mold of this team. It will be instant improvement. If there is a market for Gomez's contract, Im sure we can do ok with Gaborik.

Old
04-23-2011, 09:41 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

You trade Gaborik if you're getting an elite top liner in return.

You're not.

X-Richards-Gabby next year.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:42 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJobs View Post
if management has decided they are willing to trade him, they give him til 1/4 mark of the season next year. if he starts cold, his trade value at that point is not any lower than it is now. if he starts hot, it goes up. unless they can hose someone in the offseason of course, then IMO, that'd be their strategy.

IMO, i think if you get richards you get him to play with gaborik, so right now it's a wait and see.
The thing is the salary cap makes it difficult to make a trade with Gaborik's salary in the middle of the season. If they trade him it'll likely have to be an offseason deal, more likely before the draft.

Old
04-23-2011, 09:44 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
You trade Gaborik if you're getting an elite top liner in return.

You're not.

X-Richards-Gabby next year.
You cant expect an elite top line player for an enigma. You dont know what you are getting out of Gaborik. Perhaps you can get a second line roster player a high pick and a prospect that could become a top line player.

Old
04-23-2011, 09:44 PM
I Am Classless

We don't need any kind of player more than we need the kind of player Gaborik is and can be at his best.

We'd love to have an Anze Kopitar or an Evander Kane or something, but those guys aren't for sale. Moving forward with Gaborik and Richards is a calculated risk which, yes, has a chance of failure, but unlike the Gomez/Drury/Redden debacle, has a chance of success.

I Am Classless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:45 PM
OverTheCap

I'd like to see what Gaborik does with Richards. But if Gaborik still plays like he did this year or is injured for most of the season, we are in deep ****.

It wouldn't hurt if Sather gauged interest to see what's out there. But I don't think the return will be all that great... probably looking at a slightly better return than what we received for Gomez.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Richard Brads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
The thing is the salary cap makes it difficult to make a trade with Gaborik's salary in the middle of the season. If they trade him it'll likely have to be an offseason deal, more likely before the draft.
that's a good point, i agree. though if they want to roll the dice and assume gabby will start hot a team will make room for him if they can.

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I like how a lot assume we're getting Richards. I know it seems highly possible, but c'mon... Really? Let's get to July 1st... No, to the draft.

Last edited by Florida Ranger: 04-23-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I personally give him one more year to, assuming we sign Richards, try to gel with him.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:48 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagel Bites View Post
We don't need any kind of player more than we need the kind of player Gaborik is and can be at his best.

We'd love to have an Anze Kopitar or an Evander Kane or something, but those guys aren't for sale. Moving forward with Gaborik and Richards is a calculated risk which, yes, has a chance of failure, but unlike the Gomez/Drury/Redden debacle, has a chance of success.
The thing is Gaborik being at his best is far from a guarantee. Dont get me wrong. Any team could use Gaborik at his best. But that is a question mark, at best right now.

Old
04-23-2011, 09:48 PM
pwoz

I don't care who is traded or who isn't. All I want is a top 5 in-the-league power play!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:49 PM
ReverbAndDelay
Old Time Hockey

Here's how I see this going.

During the off season, we're going to acquire someone big, be it Richards or someone of his caliber. He'll play on the top line with Gaborik.

If Gaborik has a kick ass season up to the trade deadline, then he'll more than likely remain a Ranger. If he manages to do jack **** up until then, you'll see him carted off for draft picks and some marginal talent.

In all honesty, if he were gone tomorrow, and we got something decent in return, you wouldn't see me broken up about it.

ReverbAndDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
To NYR: Joe Thornton, Dany Heatley, Joe Pavelski, 1st round pick;

To SJ: Marian Gaborik, Erik Christensen, Kris Newbury, 5th round pick.
Sather hangs up.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Chalfdiggity3

If you trade Gaborik maybe we can get something from the Kings. Like their 1st 11' and 12', a top prospect (toffoli) and Simmonds.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:53 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
No Gaborik = no richards = this team being set back half a decade.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:54 PM
chip chipperson*

i hope henrik dubi cally and staal never have a bad year after putting up great numbers the years before. god forbid a guy has a bad year while he plays with ec on his line.

let him play with richards next year, if he puts up the same numbers as this year i would agree that it would be nice if he could be moved.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:57 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
It would take not getting someone for him to play with who isn't Christensen and Prospal. No disrespect to Vinny P.
What is there to disrespect i know Gaborik has not played hockey the right way but even he were to change Prospal is just not capable of creating space for him and being a top line center. I knew this last year when i specifically made a thread Saying "DONT RESIGN PROSPAL", i mean it was clear to me late last season when the team was trying to make the playoffs that he had no wheels, to slow, to weak and not good enough, same story this year but even worse. He may have had some good years but hes been finished for a few years regardless of points.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote