HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Gaborik.

Old
04-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Yes trade our talent. Who will Richards pass to next year?

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:04 PM
John Torturella

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
i hope henrik dubi cally and staal never have a bad year after putting up great numbers the years before. god forbid a guy has a bad year while he plays with ec on his line.

let him play with richards next year, if he puts up the same numbers as this year i would agree that it would be nice if he could be moved.
The above named players are completely different. Gaborik brings along a special set of circumstances. He is paid mega bucks, injury prone and may be on the down side of his career. Those players have earned their keep here. A bad year for them would be just that. Gaborik is a player we could not afford to have a bad year. Our hopes at going deep in the playoffs rested mostly on him and Henrik. Henrik held up his part of the bargain. Gaborik? Well we all know what happened there. My point is that if you dont trade Gaborik for value now, you could very well be stuck with another very bad contract for the next 3 years.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
The above named players are completely different. Gaborik brings along a special set of circumstances. He is paid mega bucks, injury prone and may be on the down side of his career. Those players have earned their keep here. A bad year for them would be just that. Gaborik is a player we could not afford to have a bad year. Our hopes at going deep in the playoffs rested mostly on him and Henrik. Henrik held up his part of the bargain. Gaborik? Well we all know what happened there. My point is that if you dont trade Gaborik for value now, you could very well be stuck with another very bad contract for the next 3 years.
From what I've seen, Gaborik has no value now so we should definatley attempt a Richards experiment.

Old
04-23-2011, 10:18 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
From what I've seen, Gaborik has no value now so we should definatley attempt a Richards experiment.
There's always a sucker in the league.

Sather should talk with Burke. We could end up with their 1st rounder.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
There's always a sucker in the league.

Sather should talk with Burke. We could end up with their 1st rounder.
Maybe we could trade him to Montreal. They seem to enjoy sucking up our garbage.

Old
04-23-2011, 10:21 PM
In The Flesh

I'm on record saying I didn't want Gabby from the beginning so I believe I can fairy say I want him gone. Not my kind of player. I know he's a top winger in the league when he's healthy/shows up. But that's the problem, it's barely 50/50.

Trade him to LA for something decent.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Ke11y96

There's no point to trading this guy absolutely none..look at the 29 other teams and see what "star player" would be given up for Gaborik..Plus getting a prospect and draftpicks only puts this team waaay behind of where they're currently at..I know everyone thinks we could end up with more young talent but we could also end up with the hugh jessimens of the world, or filatov that hasn't shown up yet on the NHL scene. Let him rebound he clearly enters next season with a lot to prove and hopefully Brad Richards feeding him the puck..

*Now getting a stud left winger to play with those two should be talked about but not trading him.

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

he's been a premiere player his entire career. everyone has down years. this is the exception, not the rule. he'll be back.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:22 PM
darko

I wouldnt trade him for 2 reasons.

1. As bad as he was this season I cant forget what he done for us last season. He practically put the team on his back (from offensive point of view). Accounted for around 20% of our offense.
2. If we can somehow bring in Richards (and keep our guys), I'd love to see what Richards and Gaborik can do together.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Could you imagine nabbing Schenn, 2012 1st, and say Kadri/Kulemin/Lupul For Gaborik +

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:26 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I'd like to see if 37 year old Andrew Brunette is interested in coming to the big apple for a run with Gaborik.

Brunette-Richards-Gaborik

2010-2011 Minnesota Wild NHL 82 18 28 46 16

Those are some good numbers for a 37 year old LW.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:26 PM
nyrangers21

I don't know why everyone is so down on Prospal. Sure, he may not be the best on Gabby's line, but 23 pts in 29 games is nothing to sneeze at. Guy still brings more energy and enthusiasm than most players. Give him 2nd or 3rd line duties and he'll be fine.

And of course, Richards centering Gabby, maybe even putting Prospal on the other wing.

nyrangers21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:27 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
Could you imagine nabbing Schenn, 2012 1st, and say Kadri/Kulemin/Lupul For Gaborik +
Why is there a + after Gaborik?

Gaborik alone will fetch us that. Sather knows when to catch these GMs while they're tripping on LSD and peyote.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I wonder if Los Angeles would give us Brayden Schenn plus Tyler Toffoli for him. Schenn is a blue-chip prospect and Toffoli is a high-risk, high-return prospect like Christian Thomas, but better. We could also throw in Wolski for the two of them.

It would make us significantly worse in 2011-12, but it would make us tremendous in a couple of years.

- Either Schenn or Stepan will become a first line Center.

- Either Toffoli or Thomas will become a first line RW.

And we have a whole bunch of LWs (Kreider, Grachev, Horak), in addition to Dubi who's already borderline first liner.

Combined with our other forwards (Callahan, Anisimov, Boyle, Prust, Zuccarello, Bourque, Weise, Werek, etc) and a great defense we seem to be building, this team will contend by the 2012-13 season. And unless we deal a lot of youth for age like we did in the early 90s, I bet this team will remain a contender for a decade straight.

I really think that dealing Gabby now will set us up big time.

Last edited by Beacon: 04-24-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:32 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
1st henrik did not have a good series, no ranger did. by that i mean no body elevated their game.

2nd, down side of his career? how do you put up his numbers last year and then all of a sudden one bad year means your on the downside of your career? wasn't last year one of his best ever?

3rd, your right gaborik is different than those players, he has more talent than all of them (not henrik) and showed it last year. his injury history is pointless to discuss since he has only missed what, less than 15 games as a ranger? now that he has a bad year all of a sudden his injury history card gets thrown around like crazy. its a bad year, its over look foward to next year when he can hopefully play with richards. he is allowed to have a bad year aswell.

4th, before i am misquoted and words get shoved into my mouth, i am not happy with gaborik at all. but i am not ready to quit on him. last season gives him one more year, if he has the same numbers as this year, that is a different story

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
Brad Richards would not be an experiment. It would be a major commitment for the next 5 to 7 years, probably for a player who would be on the decline for the bulk of that contract. It would be a typical Ranger move though.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:55 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

gaborik will not be traded. period.

look, teams know how to beat us. pressure the pp. total pressure for 2 minutes when ever we are man up. we havent got the passing skills nor the shooters to do any damage on the pp. once you shut down the pp, at even strength you shut down the gaborik line and we are toast.

gaborik is the only way we attract a guy like richards to come here. move gaby, and no one will come here and we are back to square one, playing kids and unable to score goals. been there done that. imagine this years team without gaby ?

not only do we keep gaby, but we must add talent to our top 6. dont give me kreider or thomas. not next year. they wont help us as rookies enough to get us over the hump. look at stepan, he played well this year but he wore out. we need a veteran player with smarts and skill.

gaborik needs to play with someone who can open space for him. when he has time and space hes deadly. he didnt this year, at all. in fact gaby tried to create his own space and look what happened. he lost his mojo. he was clueless with the puck.he passed up shots, over handled the puck and took the puck to bad places ending up on his back hand behind the net with no place to go. opposing teams shut him down and alot was due to gabys own doing. hes a shooter and a skater not a passer and playmaker. the gaby we saw this year we cannot see again next year.

he doesnt belong behind the net with the puck and he shouldnt be cycling. he should be skating and shooting. he needs a centerman to get him pucks and create time and space for him to operate. anyone saying he doesnt need a true #1 center wasnt watching him this season.

you saw a frustrated and out of sync gaby this whole season. partly due to torts and his (necessary) scheme, and i still say those 2 dont like each other, and mostly gabt was ineffective due to slats not getting him a pivot to play with.

im clearly on the richards bandwagon. we need an infusion of talent and richards gives us that and more. hes the guy to get us to the next level. he can help improve the pp and give us a true first line with him centering gaby and dubi.

so, trading gaborik does nothing for this team moving forward. adding someone to play with him does.

this team showed me they can not only compete but win. if we had richards and a powerplay that was even slightly better, we beat washington,

we arent far off. we need richards next season and gaby.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Canjo
AVA

Suppose for 2 seconds (and this is gonna sound crazy) we dont get richards, then what? nearly every pro-Gabby stance here has had something to do with him and Richards, I realize there is a good chance we get him, but you are all acting like its a guarantee that if we keep Gabby, Richards will be here to center him.

put it this way- if Richards didnt exist, if we were absolutely not going to get him next year (or someone like him), would you keep Gabby in the hopes that he bounces back on his own?

Canjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
Brad Richards would not be an experiment. It would be a major commitment for the next 5 to 7 years, probably for a player who would be on the decline for the bulk of that contract. It would be a typical Ranger move though.
By experiment I meant attempting to create a tandem between the two. It could be potentially terrible but maybe Richards will find good chemistry with someone else.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
gaborik will not be traded. period.

look, teams know how to beat us. pressure the pp. total pressure for 2 minutes when ever we are man up. we havent got the passing skills nor the shooters to do any damage on the pp. once you shut down the pp, at even strength you shut down the gaborik line and we are toast.

gaborik is the only way we attract a guy like richards to come here. move gaby, and no one will come here and we are back to square one, playing kids and unable to score goals. been there done that. imagine this years team without gaby ?

not only do we keep gaby, but we must add talent to our top 6. dont give me kreider or thomas. not next year. they wont help us as rookies enough to get us over the hump. look at stepan, he played well this year but he wore out. we need a veteran player with smarts and skill.

gaborik needs to play with someone who can open space for him. when he has time and space hes deadly. he didnt this year, at all. in fact gaby tried to create his own space and look what happened. he lost his mojo. he was clueless with the puck.he passed up shots, over handled the puck and took the puck to bad places ending up on his back hand behind the net with no place to go. opposing teams shut him down and alot was due to gabys own doing. hes a shooter and a skater not a passer and playmaker. the gaby we saw this year we cannot see again next year.

he doesnt belong behind the net with the puck and he shouldnt be cycling. he should be skating and shooting. he needs a centerman to get him pucks and create time and space for him to operate. anyone saying he doesnt need a true #1 center wasnt watching him this season.

you saw a frustrated and out of sync gaby this whole season. partly due to torts and his (necessary) scheme, and i still say those 2 dont like each other, and mostly gabt was ineffective due to slats not getting him a pivot to play with.

im clearly on the richards bandwagon. we need an infusion of talent and richards gives us that and more. hes the guy to get us to the next level. he can help improve the pp and give us a true first line with him centering gaby and dubi.

so, trading gaborik does nothing for this team moving forward. adding someone to play with him does.

this team showed me they can not only compete but win. if we had richards and a powerplay that was even slightly better, we beat washington,

we arent far off. we need richards next season and gaby.
we need a 3rd player too if we want to go from pretenders to contenders.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:01 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canjo View Post
put it this way- if Richards didnt exist, if we were absolutely not going to get him next year (or someone like him), would you keep Gabby in the hopes that he bounces back on his own?

Absolutely.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Absolutely.
ditto. 1 bad season does not a career make.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
How about we get him a better center to play with over the offseason?

Everyone wanted to stand pat at the deadline, thats what we did. We all knew we needed a center to do some damage in the playoffs. I'm not sure why anyone is so mad about losing to the higher seed team in five games. We also lost Cally at the end there so that took away one of our best shooters.

Get a center Rangers and we will be ok.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

You don't need an elite player for Gabby. You take a "guaranteed" 60 point player for him and run, IMO. A guy who rarely plays less than ~78 games and is good for ~60 a year is better than a guy who plays anywhere from 10-80 games and will give you 20-90 points. Especially considering the one is going to probably cost around 4M to Gabby's 7.5M. You could still go after Richards - he doesn't need ELITE wingers to produce. And there's absolutely ZERO proof to the theory that Gabby needs an elite center to break him out of his slump either.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:32 AM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

Gaborik has had one down year and everyone is ready to get rid of him?

How about we get some actual talent to play alongside him so he can do what he does best: float to the open areas of ice and wait for a pass. If you want to crucify Gaborik because of defensive lapses this year, go ahead. But expecting him to put up monster numbers trying to play the dump, grind, and cycle game that this team plays is ludicrous.

We play the way we do because we lack the skill to play any other way. Gaborik needs talented linemates to play with. He isn't the kind of player that is going to create on his own. He needs time and space to get off his lethal shot, and the linemates and style of play of this team isn't giving that to him. He is easily neutralized if he doesn't have space, and teams know this. 90% of the shots Gaborik attempted this season were either blocked or deflected.

Give Gaborik a talented centerman to play with, and someone like Dubinsky on the left wing for puck possession and board work, and I think you'll see him flourish.

We shouldn't give up on Gaborik after one down season, especially when we haven't given him the tools he needs to succeed.

TheGrapesOfMcIlrath is offline   Reply With Quote