HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Off Season Talk Thread

Old
04-23-2011, 10:38 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Something about seeing Jokinen on the back of a ranger jersey again might trigger something dark and dangerous in my subconscious.
But this one can score in shootouts:

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:39 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Something about seeing Jokinen on the back of a ranger jersey again might trigger something dark and dangerous in my subconscious.
Jussi Jokinen is a solid 2 way 50+ point winger.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Oh, I'm well aware.

But of this year's UFA class, I can count the number of players I think would significantly improve this team on one hand. Jokinen is not one of em.

hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
But this one can score in shootouts:

It's not even about shootouts. The guy is pretty skilled while having a very good defensive acumen in his game.

Old
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
I'll be damned if we have Jokinen and his convicted sex offender look back on this team.

I also do not want Wisniewski here. Like others have said before, he reeks of one year wonder.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:42 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Oh, I'm well aware.

But of this year's UFA class, I can count the number of players I think would significantly improve this team on one hand. Jokinen is not one of em.
Gagne is right? Sometimes I wonder what some of you watch.

Gagne doesn't have the legs anymore. Now I did mention Gagne for a reason as he may come the cheapest of the other names.

Old
04-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Ke11y96

Jussi Jokinen is a good idea him or Tomas Fleischmann would be a nice cheap under 3 million dollar left winger for that top line duty if thats the route we have to go..

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:43 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
I'll be damned if we have Jokinen and his convicted sex offender look back on this team.

I also do not want Wisniewski here. Like others have said before, he reeks of one year wonder.
?? Jussi Jokinen, not Oli Jokinen.

For Gods sake...

Old
04-23-2011, 10:45 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
Jussi Jokinen is a good idea him or Tomas Fleischmann would be a nice cheap under 3 million dollar left winger for that top line duty if thats the route we have to go..
I like Fleischman too, but didn't he encounter a serious health issue and may be out for some time?

Old
04-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Gagne carries the potential to. Its unlikely, but he could return to 30-40 goal form.

Richards, Markov are the immediate impact guys who could help us. Gagne could. Guys like Jokinen, Connolly, Laich, ect I am scared of a dreaded long term bad deal for an average player and would avoid if possible.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

McIlrath, MDZ, Werek, All our draft picks this year, Valentenko, Kundratek...to me they are all on the table to get an impact first line winger to go with Gabby and Richards (if we sign Richards)

If we don't sign Richards, go with the kids.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:47 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I like Fleischman too, but didn't he encounter a serious health issue and may be out for some time?
Yeah it's even a life threatening conditioning he has, I think. It's a blood thing.

Old
04-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
?? Jussi Jokinen, not Oli Jokinen.

For Gods sake...
lol my bad. I just saw "Jokinen" and shuddered.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:48 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Gagne carries the potential to. Its unlikely, but he could return to 30-40 goal form.

Richards, Markov are the immediate impact guys who could help us. Gagne could. Guys like Jokinen, Connolly, Laich, ect I am scared of a dreaded long term bad deal for an average player and would avoid if possible.
We all know about Richards. If you read, we're talking about players outside of Richards. Richards alone isn't enough.

Sorry, but Gagne will never reach the 30-40 goal mark ever again. Also, the fact that you mention Connolly, Laich, and Jokinen in the same sentence is pretty sad. Laich doesn't have the skill Jokinen has. Connolly is way too fragile and soft.

The only guy I can agree with you about is Markov...but b/c of his injury history I want a reasonable contract if we look at him.

I personally feel we get an impact player on draft day, followed up by signing Richards.

Old
04-23-2011, 10:49 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Yea as a top line LW I would be more than comfortable giving it to Jokinen.

He can not only score, but he also is a pretty good passer. I think he would be really good on a wing with Richards.

04-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Laich doesn't have the skill Zherdev does. But Z was passed over by 29 teams for basically free. Every team in the league would take Laich for that price.

This team isn't built for skill wingers right now in the Jokinen mold, or otherwise. This is why I have suggested Gaborik dealt for Brown, Wolski removed, and the return of Fedotenko. We are a cycle team. Lets get more physical player that can score like Callahan and Dubinsky.

But frankly, I'm not confident in my own suggestions at this point. I'm just glad I am not Sather, because there are some hard decisions coming up.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:54 PM
beastly115

We need a capologist to run the numbers. I know we can fit Richards in but what other contracts would have to be moved out to acquire (trade) another 5M+ top line player? We're honestly running out of albatross contracts, aside from Drury obviously.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:56 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
We need a capologist to run the numbers. I know we can fit Richards in but what other contracts would have to be moved out to acquire (trade) another 5M+ top line player? We're honestly running out of albatross contracts, aside from Drury obviously.
Capgeek lets you do it yourself. The big question is are you factoring in a Drury buyout or retire....

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Yeah I've read up a bit about that I believe it was blood clots in his lungs but all reports say he'll be perfectly fine for next season. Over on the Colorado board they want him back big time, and after watching a few games of him on Duchene's line he'd look good with Richards and Gaborik.

Old
04-23-2011, 10:58 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
Laich doesn't have the skill Zherdev does. But Z was passed over by 29 teams for basically free. Every team in the league would take Laich for that price.
I think Laich will cost an upward of 3.5-4m, though, he's a very respected player league-wide, and his reputation + his numbers could get him a HUGE payout. I think he could look good on a line with Richards and Gaborik, as he has some skill, but he would just cost too much for what he actually brings.

Quote:
This team isn't built for skill wingers right now in the Jokinen mold, or otherwise. This is why I have suggested Gaborik dealt for Brown, Wolski removed, and the return of Fedotenko. We are a cycle team. Lets get more physical player that can score like Callahan and Dubinsky.
We're a cycle team because we don't have skill. If we could put together a top line of Jokinen-Richards-Gaborik, that line would not play the grinding style, they'd just let the other 3 lines do that, and I think that would work excellently.

And we don't need Brown, he's another grinder. We already has a better version in Callahan.

Quote:
But frankly, I'm not confident in my own suggestions at this point. I'm just glad I am not Sather, because there are some hard decisions coming up.
I'm worried as to what Sather is going to do this summer.

Old
04-23-2011, 10:59 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Oh, and another suggestion: Shane Doan. If Phoenix moves, he's made it publically clear he does not want to go to Winnipeg. I would love him on a line with Gaborik and Richards, and he's on a really solid contract. It actually is a perfect fit.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:00 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:

The reason this team plays the grind game is because we don't have enough skill in the lineup. We dont have enough guys to play the puck possession game. We had a certain extent of that during the Jagr era. That's the reason we play the chronic cycle/grind game, not because that's our system but b/c we lack the skill up front. Tort's system is puck possession hockey. Where when you have the puck is the best form of defense. That means the other team doesn't have the puck. His style isn't dump and chase while fighting for your life along the boards. Go watch some of the Tampa Bay cup games....it's all puck possession hockey.

Once Torts has more skill injected into the line-up via trade and UFA he'll have our top 6 play his safe is death puck possession game. The bottom lines can grind all they want.

Jokinen would be a step in the right direction. You're adding offense/skill while still a individual who knows the defensive side of the game too. However, again, I think we make a move for an impact player on draft day. By the time the summer is over I expect 3 impact guys on this team. The unknown winger that's acquired on draft day, Richards, and Gaborik(if not traded)

Old
04-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Ke11y96

Quote:

See I just listened to Torts' post game conference and you hear him say something like it took Washington time to get the skill required to be soo efficient at scoring. We aren't there yet he says and goes on to elaborate that we have to play a certain way to win given how this team is constructed kinda thing. So I don't think the coaching or management staff are satisfied being a cycling team but its what they have to do for now to have their best shot at winning. The more skill we acquire the more I think Torts' coaches the way he first wanted the team playing the whole "Safe is Death" mentality.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:02 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Oh, and another suggestion: Shane Doan. If Phoenix moves, he's made it publically clear he does not want to go to Winnipeg. I would love him on a line with Gaborik and Richards, and he's on a really solid contract. It actually is a perfect fit.
This, but I'm afraid of the price though.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Yeah I heard about that and Doan would be an unreal pick up that didn't Sather have interest in years back?? What does a package to acquire Doan look like I'm sure it'll hurt...