HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stepan: Playoffs MIA

Old
04-23-2011, 10:53 PM
ReverbAndDelay
In on the Kill Taker

vCash: 500
Is he a bit on the slow side? Sure. Did he totally fizzle out towards the end of the season/play offs? Absolutely. However I think we'd be insane to let this kid go anywhere. The talent is there. He isn't a fearful player, either. I see great things from this kid. So maybe he needs to work on his skating in the off season, fine. However he got tons of experience this season which should only serve to make him even better next.

ReverbAndDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:55 PM
chip chipperson*

he isnt the reason why we lost, so i dont care because he is a rookie

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:51 PM
lbrowne

I need the OP and anyone else who's not sure to look up other present day GREAT players and their first playoffs.

21 3 3 6 2

4 1 0 1 0
12 2 2 4 4

9 1 2 3 2

11 3 3 6 22

Some might not be great in peoples minds, but to me they are top tier, top 6 players.

So please, really give it a rest about Stepan. Please. Unless you want to go back to the mercenary days.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:54 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
I need the OP and anyone else who's not sure to look up other present day GREAT players and their first playoffs.

21 3 3 6 2

4 1 0 1 0
12 2 2 4 4

9 1 2 3 2

11 3 3 6 22

Some might not be great in peoples minds, but to me they are top tier, top 6 players.

So please, really give it a rest about Stepan. Please. Unless you want to go back to the mercenary days.
You are aware that there's a difference between not being impressed with his playoffs and wanting him gone right?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:55 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

I'm actually surprised he didn't get gassed earlier. This was a learning year for a lot of our guys. Our team is SO young.

McDonagh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Kid played every single game this year. Cant say its not surprising for him to run out of gas.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:57 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Wisconsin did NOT play this style of hockey either.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:06 AM
satrabyk

Well when your a rookie and hardly anyone other forward can do anything in the playoffs you dont usually carry the team. As i said i was mostly disappointed with Dubi this playoffs, he was MIA. I guess expectations got a little high on my part.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:26 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Of all the ridiculous threads I expected to see, I did not think I'd see one this ridiculous.

What, are we that sad that we were expecting a rookie to lead us? NO one ever expects your average rookie (especially fresh out of the NCAA) to lead a team into and through the playoffs. It's not realistic. His cardio is nowhere near where it should be yet. He's a damn rookie.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:31 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Of all the ridiculous threads I expected to see, I did not think I'd see one this ridiculous.

What, are we that sad that we were expecting a rookie to lead us? NO one ever expects your average rookie (especially fresh out of the NCAA) to lead a team into and through the playoffs. It's not realistic. His cardio is nowhere near where it should be yet. He's a damn rookie.
I'll say it again. With my reading of this thread no-one expected him to lead us or tear it up, just be slightly more noticeable. No-one is suggesting he should be traded, demoted, shot or anything else, jeez.....

Old
04-24-2011, 12:36 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
who was he playing with though? who are these natural finishers we had him paired with? Wolski and MZA? pfffttt.
that's the problem. he's got nobody to pass to. he could become the #1 center of the future if he's able to play his game. get him a goal scorer and we're talkin beautiful things happening here. hopefully that guy is either Chris Kreider or Christian Thomas

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:43 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FultonReed View Post
that's the problem. he's got nobody to pass to. he could become the #1 center of the future if he's able to play his game. get him a goal scorer and we're talkin beautiful things happening here. hopefully that guy is either Chris Kreider or Christian Thomas
Or Gaborik, juss sayin'

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:01 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
who was he playing with though? who are these natural finishers we had him paired with? Wolski and MZA? pfffttt.
First of all, he played with a lot of different players throughout the season. But that isn't even the issue, because you wouldn't know how much they could or couldn't finish, because he almost always looked for the shot first.

I understand that they aren't great finishers, but I don't understand why you would spend an entire season, the player's ROOKIE season, teaching him how to play a much dumber, less efficient game than the one that endeared you to him in the first place, especially when what he's already good at is EXACTLY what the team is missing.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:14 AM
tomobson

even earlier in the season i was not impressed with stepan's skating, it's the same with zucc. they don't have that stride that most players have. it always seems like they're working extra hard for the same results other players achieve with a more effortless stride. hopefully that underhill woman, not sure on the name, can work some more magic on our players.

tomobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:41 AM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
You are aware that there's a difference between not being impressed with his playoffs and wanting him gone right?
You are aware that even making this post insinuates on part of the OP wants to move him? Or you think not?

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:41 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
First of all, he played with a lot of different players throughout the season. But that isn't even the issue, because you wouldn't know how much they could or couldn't finish, because he almost always looked for the shot first.

I understand that they aren't great finishers, but I don't understand why you would spend an entire season, the player's ROOKIE season, teaching him how to play a much dumber, less efficient game than the one that endeared you to him in the first place, especially when what he's already good at is EXACTLY what the team is missing.
i think he was taking what was given to him. hes a smart player, they were giving him the shot, so he was taking it.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:50 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

20 goal, 40 point rookie season.

First NHL playoff experience. Was he supposed to be Conn Smythe worthy?

This is why making the playoffs this year was so vital. Its another step in the process. Get the young players a taste. Keep the veteran guys hungry for more.

With each step in the process taken, the team and organization progresses closer to its goal; winning the Stanley Cup and maintaining sucess for a long period of time.

Stepan knows what he needs to work on, he's a bright kid. I sure he will work on his stride, strength, and faceoffs over the summer.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:24 AM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

it would of been nice if he produced more toward the end and in the PO but really I was pretty satisfied with what he showed this year. Looking forward to see what he brings next year. No sophmore slump please.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:42 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Frankly, the only player to show up the whole series was Lundqvist. I can't think of a single player that showed up every game in the series. Boyle was MIA. Dubinsky was MIA for most of it. Anisimov? Gaborik? Both MIA.
I think Feds did a lot of really good, smart things in the series. Consistently throughout the series he battled hard and created something. Id say he was pretty solid. Mentions should go to Prust as well.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:04 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
You are aware that even making this post insinuates on part of the OP wants to move him? Or you think not?
I certainly think not. IMO there is nothing in the OP or any other post which even hints that people want to move him. everyone seems to be in agreement that Stepan had a good rookie year, but, although his playoff performance wasn't great it can be explained away due to him being a rookie.

Just because a thread is started on a young player that doesn't pump them up, it doesn't mean that anyone wants to see them traded.

Old
04-24-2011, 05:03 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

He got the rookie fever....gassed cause of the amount of games played...

I'm more surpriced others here didn't give him the "mza treatment" - you know where you curse the rookie out for playing badly in spite of getting a point in every game despite little ice time...

Stepan was "just there" on the ice...not doing much at times, but outside of Lundqvist and Staal who contributed positively ?

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:11 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

I can't wait until the people who rarely frequent this board disappear again. Between the guy who said he wasn't going to watch game 5 to the guy who blames Lundqvist for the Caps loss to this guy calling Stepan M.I.A.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:26 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
No, there is only black and white on these boards. If you say that a popular player didn't play well for one game or series, it means you hate him and think he sucks worse than anyone who has ever played the game. If you say something positive about an unpopular player, it means you think he is better than Messier and has more heart than Graves. It's sort of like high school.

Anyway, I like Stepan as well and has hoped for more from him in the playoffs. But the NHL is a big adjustment for these kids. They just don't get the kind of room they used to. But this is the process we have to go through if we are in fact going with the youth movement.

04-24-2011, 08:51 AM
eco's bones

Simply put--Stepan finally hit the wall. Traverse City + 5 pre-season games + 82 regular season games +5 playoff games--somewhere around 95 games about twice what he's ever done before and against stronger and more physical competition.

He does need to work on filling out and getting stronger and it would help him if he could at least add another half step in speed--even so I don't see what there is to complain about. He had an excellent beginning to a pro career--jumping straight from college to the NHL and putting up 45 pts. in his first season.

He just ran out of gas which happens to most every player in their first pro season who goes from college into the NHL.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:05 AM
DutchShamrock

Has Seguin even played a game in the playoffs? This supposed wonderkid isn't even getting a sniff of action. I'm not knocking him since it's probably because the Bruins are contenders and no one expects anything from rookies. I'm just happy that Stepan is getting experience, pretty much my feeling about the core of this team right now.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote