HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Rangers - Lineup

Old
04-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Ke11y96

vCash: 500
Fleischmann/Trade - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Hagelin/Grachev/Kreider - Stepan - Thomas/Zuccarello/UFA/Trade
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McD - Sauer
Del Zotto - McIlrath/Gilroy/UFA/Trade

Lundqvist - Biron

Tort's never wanted to break up feds, boyle, prust but had to cause fedotenko was the closest thing to cally so starting next season he'll but that trio back together.

It'll be a two slot race for the lw and rw slots on the 3rd line. I def believe one of those three prospects take the 3rd line lw spot. The rw slot may be Zuccarello's to lose or maybe the see if Thomas can give it a go, or look elsewhere.

Top Lw I hope they go for a trade and get some skill if not Fleischmann is by far my top choice for a UFA pick to fill that roll. He'll be healthy and hopefully over his blood clots, he's under 30, and can finish and pass and muck it up in the corners he's a perfect fit for those other two.

I don't think they go get a dynamic puck moving defenseman unless to acquire a top flight left wing they dangle Del Zotto. If they dangle DZ I expect them to attempt to get Kaberle, or Ehrhoff. Then it'll be a training camp battle to see who gets the 6th spot on defense McIlrath or Gilroy.

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Wolski Richards Gaborik
Dubinsky Anisimov Cally
Hagelin Stepan Zucca/FA
Feds Boyle Prust

Staal Mcdonagh
Girardi Mdz
Sauer Gilroy/Valentenko

Lundqvist
Biron

Offense

Have to keep the Pack Line and the Boyle line together, they were our most effective lines.

We have our young 3rd line with hardworking, creativity, and playmaking skills.

Finally a 1st line Richards and Gaborik will be deadly, and unless you can trade Wolski, hes just too talented not to try on that line. If he cant excel in that spot then you trade him.

Defense

It seems in the NHL now you need to have a PMD/offensive with a defensive dman. Staal and Mcdonagh can do it all, both offensive and defensive.

Girardi and MDZ, Girardi is the epitomy of a defensive dman and he can help cover up for mdz while mdz takes care of the offense.

Sauer and whoever is his partner that can play offense or both ways would work very well too.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:50 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
Fleischmann/Trade - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Hagelin/Grachev/Kreider - Stepan - Thomas/Zuccarello/UFA/Trade
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McD - Sauer
Del Zotto - McIlrath/Gilroy/UFA/Trade

Lundqvist - Biron

Tort's never wanted to break up feds, boyle, prust but had to cause fedotenko was the closest thing to cally so starting next season he'll but that trio back together.

It'll be a two slot race for the lw and rw slots on the 3rd line. I def believe one of those three prospects take the 3rd line lw spot. The rw slot may be Zuccarello's to lose or maybe the see if Thomas can give it a go, or look elsewhere.

Top Lw I hope they go for a trade and get some skill if not Fleischmann is by far my top choice for a UFA pick to fill that roll. He'll be healthy and hopefully over his blood clots, he's under 30, and can finish and pass and muck it up in the corners he's a perfect fit for those other two.

I don't think they go get a dynamic puck moving defenseman unless to acquire a top flight left wing they dangle Del Zotto. If they dangle DZ I expect them to attempt to get Kaberle, or Ehrhoff. Then it'll be a training camp battle to see who gets the 6th spot on defense McIlrath or Gilroy.
That is my most realistic lineup also with additions of Avery or Fro signed to cheaper contract.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:56 PM
darko

Dubinsky - Richards - Gaborik
Wolski - Anisimov - Callahan
Hagelin - Stepan - Prospal
Feds/Avery - Boyle - Prust
Zucca

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
MDZ - Eminger

Would like to see Feds and Prospal back next season. Eminger too. Hagelin is the only rookie next season. No Kreider and definitely no Thomas. We might get another rookie on D however (Tank). Hopefully Drury retires (I can see that happening). Dubi/Richards/Gabby/WW/Ani/Cally is a pretty decent top-6.

If we dont get Richards, then I'd like to see Stepan-Anisimov-Prospal-Boyle down the middle.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:56 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I'll throw my fantasy lineup into the ring here, don't ask me if it fits under the cap, no idea, but would be nice. Maybe Grachev, Zukes, Hagelin, Kreider, etc make it and play on the third, but if not, resign Feds. Won't happen but fun to make a lineup you can live with.

Brunette-Richards-Gaborik

Scoring line, effective wingers, elite center, PP QB (Brunette good on PP)

Callahan-Anisimov-Dubinsky

Guts n glory line, skilled, but physical - tough matchup for any team

Wolski-Stepan-Rookie

Skilled, but responsible third line can chip in offensively, develop a rookie

Prust-Boyle-Torres

Physical, grinding line, keeps other team honest

Staal-Girardi

top shutdown pair, physical, can log heavy ice time

Sauer-McD

Another tough physical pairing able to shut down opposition second lines

DZ-Pitkanen

Above average D pair, great vision, puck movement, excellent shots from the point, great pairing for PP

Gilroy, Shane O Brien, Grant Clitsome

Depends on what the Rangers prefer, Gilroy for puck movement, SOB for physical play, Clitsome for solid D and booming shot

Lundqvist-Biron

One of the best tandems in the NHL, capable of stealing any game at any time.

Players lost, waived, traded, moved:

Eminger, Fedetenko, Prospal, Christensen, Frolov, Drury, Avery

Synopsis:

Correct top line issue, add a scoring winger, add two offensive D, improve transition game (via puck moving D), and address physical element on bottom line, add rookie to lineup, and improve third D pairing. Too bad it would never fit under the cap

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:02 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Didn't think of Brunette.

He's pretty much a sturdier version of Prospal at this point. I would entertain him as a stop gap.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:02 PM
satrabyk

How people want W2 back is beyond me.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:12 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
The season is over. We might as well discuss the future!
I believe the Rangers are slowly improving as a team. They do have a lot to learn from these playoffs and our playoffs 2 years ago. Both playoff appearances had a few things in common:
1. A clear lack of scoring ability - We only scored 8 goals in 5 playoff games in this series. I believe we did not do much better 2 years ago.
Solutions -
A. Gaborik - Keep him healthy by playing him with 2 guys who can do all the dirty work for him in Boyle and Callahan.
B. Kreider - if he is ready, give him a chance!

2. A horrible powerplay - 1 for 22 on the PP? That will rarely allow a team to win a playoff series, regardless of who you are playing!
Solutions -
A. Del Zotto - He had a typical sophomore slump. It happens. Give him another shot next season!
B. Continue to work on puck movement

3. Lack of a true #1 PP Quarterback - Guys like Staal, Girardi, McCabe and Gilroy are not ideal Dmen for the PP. The are decent for a 2nd PP unit maybe, but not for the 1st PP unit. We simply dont have a Green or even a Carlson.
Solutions:
A. Del Zotto - I really do believe that he could be a key PP guy for us. He is capable of making those long tape to tape passes that none of our other D can do!
B. Gilroy - Keep him! For all the hate he gets on these boards, he was probably our best puck-moving dman in the playoffs! He was the our only dman to be able to get through the neutral zone and into the Caps zone at least a few times per game.

4. Lack of a Transition Game - We tend to have a very hard time getting out of our own zone due to a lack of crisp,quick passing and crisp skating.
Solutions:
A. Del Zotto, Gilroy - Again, get these guys more involved on the PP.
B. Change D pairings - Staal with Girardi is a very defensive pairing, same for Sauer with McDonaugh. You want an offensive dman with a defensive dman...like Leetch with Beukeboom type of thing. When you have 2 defensive dmen together, they both will continuously try to just give the puck to each other...neither will feel comfortable moving up the ice! We had this issue against the Caps in all 5 games!

Those are the main problems I see. I think our D defensively for the most part is solid. Lundqvist was great as always. All 4 problems I pointed out have 1 thing in common: Offense. Therefore, we definitely need to make some changes to improve in that area.

Here is the lineup I want to see in 2011-2012:
Gaborik - Boyle - Callahan
Dubinsky - Stepan - Wolski
Fedotenko - Anisimov - MZA/Kreider
Prust - Drury - Avery
Christensen,Boogaard

Staal - Del Zotto
Girardi - Gilroy
Sauer - McDonaugh

Lundqvist
Biron

Let go of the following:
Frolov - totally useless all year
Prospal - I love him, but he looked tired and old in the playoffs. He gave his all , but its time for us to make room for the kids.
McCabe - Did ok, but did struggle at times in the playoffs and would probably cost us too much to keep anyway. Much rather play Del Zotto!
Eminger - If he comes cheaply, maybe keep him as a 7th dman. If not, then again give a guy like Valentenko a shot.
So next year we won't score any goals either? No way I want to come back with the same set of centers as this year.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
Boyle

While I can understand that some here may not want Boyle on the 1st line, I dont get how anyone can say he is not skilled?

He finished 4th on the Rangers with 21 goals...he did that while mostly playing in a bottom 6 role with little ice time. I would say that does show that he is a skilled player. If put in a top 6 role, its also reasonable to say that he can score more than 21 goals.

He is also clearly not just a big Center. He drives to the net very well and has some nice moves. He skates very well for a big guy. During the regular season he also showed that he does have a pretty hard shot with some accuracy. In the playoffs he just didnt get the puck high enough for some reason. Despite only 14 assists in the regular season, I noticed that he improved his passing as the season went on. In the playoffs , even Torts said that Boyle and Fedotenko were our best forwards.

I feel that everyone really underrates this player on these boards. He is just scratching the surface of what he can do as power forwards take longer to develop. Is he the next Corey Perry? Of course not. Can he put up 25-30 goals a season and play in a top 6 role? I believe he can.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:19 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
While I can understand that some here may not want Boyle on the 1st line, I dont get how anyone can say he is not skilled?

He finished 4th on the Rangers with 21 goals...he did that while mostly playing in a bottom 6 role with little ice time. I would say that does show that he is a skilled player. If put in a top 6 role, its also reasonable to say that he can score more than 21 goals.

He is also clearly not just a big Center. He drives to the net very well and has some nice moves. He skates very well for a big guy. During the regular season he also showed that he does have a pretty hard shot with some accuracy. In the playoffs he just didnt get the puck high enough for some reason. Despite only 14 assists in the regular season, I noticed that he improved his passing as the season went on. In the playoffs , even Torts said that Boyle and Fedotenko were our best forwards.

I feel that everyone really underrates this player on these boards. He is just scratching the surface of what he can do as power forwards take longer to develop. Is he the next Corey Perry? Of course not. Can he put up 25-30 goals a season and play in a top 6 role? I believe he can.
Did you just say Brian Boyle can put up 25-30 goals a year LOL.

Gaborik needs a playmaker, it's clear he can't do it himself (judging by how he keep getting knocked off the puck) and Boyle is definitely not a playmaker.

I am convinced that Boyle will top out a 15 goals and I really think that was a fluke year, imo I don't think he looked very good the final 3rd of the year.

04-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
Did you just say Brian Boyle can put up 25-30 goals a year LOL.

Gaborik needs a playmaker, it's clear he can't do it himself (judging by how he keep getting knocked off the puck) and Boyle is definitely not a playmaker.

I am convinced that Boyle will top out a 15 goals and I really think that was a fluke year, imo I don't think he looked very good the final 3rd of the year.
hold on, so a guy who scores 21 goals in just his 2nd full season in the NHL while averaging just a bit over 15 minutes per game is going to top out at 15 goals if given more minutes and more experience? You do also realize that he is only 26, was a former 1st round pick and is still developing as a player?

With your logic, Stepan will top out as a 15 goal scorer too?

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:30 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
hold on, so a guy who scores 21 goals in just his 2nd full season in the NHL while averaging just a bit over 15 minutes per game is going to top out at 15 goals if given more minutes and more experience? You do also realize that he is only 26, was a former 1st round pick and is still developing as a player?

With your logic, Stepan will top out as a 12 goal scorer?
Ok, but that still doesn't prove the point he has no business centering a line with Gaborik. Boyle is good for using his size to crash the net and get those dirty goals, he is a bad playmaker. Is one year where he scores 25-30 a possibly? yes, but there is no way I see him being a goal scorer of that ilk.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i just dont see any way in hell Boyle scores more than 10 goals next season....I think he was very flukey in the first part of the season and his offense absolutely evaporated down the stretch. He just had a longer stretch of Aaron Vorositis.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i just dont see any way in hell Boyle scores more than 10 goals next season....I think he was very flukey in the first part of the season and his offense absolutely evaporated down the stretch. He just had a longer stretch of Aaron Vorositis.
I agree in the spirit of the post. I say Boyle hits 11-12 goals next year.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:43 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Nope, he clearly is going to score 45 goals next year, and develop Nicklas Backstrom-like passing abilities.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Here's my plan:

1) Wait for MDZ to develop as our PP quarterback.

2) Wait for Thomas, Kreider, Zuccarello, Fasth, Horak, Bourque and/or Grachev to develop. At least a couple of them should become very good offensive players, which will take care of our offense.

3) Draft a few more guys like Kreider and Thomas in the first round, plus guys like Fasth and Horak in later rounds. Most of them will turn into busts, but those who make it will become offensive difference-makers we need.

4) Don't do anything rash in preparation for 2011-12. Stay the course. Wait for Avery and Drury to come off the books a year later. The same summer Wolski is a free agent, so either he won't be re-signed or he'll get less money (or he'll have a monstrous season next year). This will give the Rangers a lot of cap room, even after signing their RFAs.

We can then sign someone in the summer of 2012 or 2013 if there's a glaring hole.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:46 PM
darko

Quote:

10 goals/20-odd points from a 4th line center. I can live with that.

Boyle could thrive on the wing however. Possibly a 20 goal winger playing with a center with solid/good passing skills.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:47 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Here's my plan:

1) Wait for MDZ to develop as our PP quarterback.

2) Wait for Thomas, Kreider, Zuccarello, Fasth, Horak, Bourque and/or Grachev to develop. At least a couple of them should become very good offensive players, which will take care of our offense.

3) Draft a few more guys like Kreider and Thomas in the first round, plus guys like Fasth and Horak in later rounds. Most of them will turn into busts, but those who make it will become offensive difference-makers we need.

4) Don't do anything rash in preparation for 2011-12. Stay the course. Wait for Avery and Drury to come off the books a year later. The same summer Wolski is a free agent, so either he won't be re-signed or he'll get less money (or he'll have a monstrous season next year). This will give the Rangers a lot of cap room, even after signing their RFAs.

We can then sign someone in the summer of 2012 or 2013 if there's a glaring hole.
The only problem with this plan is you're doing a lot of waiting and hoping. There would be a lot of "ifs" and a lot of questionable variables. With that said Hank is not getting any younger.

That's why I think Richards is the right move. It speeds up the process some, still stays the course, and removes some question marks.

We need to move fast because we don't know how long Lundqvist has, and if we wait for all these kids to develop then Hank might be past his prime.

You'd basically be leaving no room for mistakes, time-wise.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
10 goals/20-odd points from a 4th line center. I can live with that.

Boyle could thrive on the wing however. Possibly a 20 goal winger playing with a center with solid/good passing skills.
thats pretty much what i see him as...strong 4th line center, plays a good 2-way game, and kills penalties. as long as his salary doesnt go over 1.5mil, ill take it. hes young, and we'll need all his family members to buy up the crazy expensive tickets the Rangers will charge

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:58 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
Prospal-Anisimov-Callahan
Fedotenko-Stepan-MZA
Hagelin-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Valetenko-Cheap veteran UFA defenseman

Package Girardi with a top prospect and/or pick and one of Anisimov/Boyle/Stepan (preferably Boyle) for an elite offensive defenseman.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:26 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Kreider. Richards. Gaborik
Dubinsky. Anisimov. Callahan
Thomas. Stepan. Grachev
Hagelin. Boyle. Prust

Staal. Girardi
McDonagh. Sauer
Del Zotto. McIlrath

Lundqvist
Biron

ex: Fedotenko. Gilroy

Kreider. Richards. Gaborik
A line with speed that plays well on the rush. And run 'n gun. Once in the zone all three can pass and both Kreider and Gaborik like to get open to receive passes and shoot. Richards has the ability to set guys like that up.

Dubinsky. Anisimov. Callahan
They have chemistry. They play a hard forechecking game. Get the puck deep and control it on the boards. Go to the net.

Thomas. Stepan. Grachev
Thomas and Stepan were together at Traverse City and had chemistry. Stepan and Grachev have been put together at Traverse City and prospect camp. Thomas is listed as a RW but he plays the left side on the PP due to his shot and like any sniper with a great release you like them on the off wing to receive the quick pass and shoot. Stepan and he being right handed and Stepan being more of a playmaker its a good fit. Grachev providing size and grit as well as skill.

Hagelin. Boyle. Prust
Boyle and Prust are obvious. Great chemistry. Hagelin is a responsible, fast, skilled player that could add a dynamic to the line and make them a threat at even strength. Hagelin could also contribute to the PK and presumably the shootout as well.

Special teams are EVERYTHING in this league right now. If you are not dominant in special teams situations you will not go far.

Special teams includes the Power Play, Penalty Kill, Shootout, and 4v4.

All the new aditions here improve the overall skill of the lineup, and improve special teams, most notably the Power Play by adding Richards, Thomas, and Kreider. Grachev as well who has the size and strength to be asked to fill the role of screening the goaltender on the Power Play. They may be young and inexperienced, but that's part of progress and building a team with enthusiasm. Also, its necessary both because cap restrictions dictates and for progression.

McIlrath provides a stay at home physical presence for Del Zotto. If he can't handle the Pro game yet, he can be sent back to the WHL within the 9 game period. If Del Zotto needs more developing at the AHL level, then Valentenko can get a shot with Gilroy.

With very little spare cap space this summer after extending Dubi, Cally, Arty, Sauer, and Boyle, as well as signing Richards, it is absolutely necessary to continue injecting youth into the lineup at a cheap rate and adding some naive spunk, moxy, and skill to the lineup.

Keep Fedotenko for veteran presence. But he doesn't need to be a full time player. He can rotate when kids need a rest/reboot and when injuries occur.

We need to find a way of clearing Drury, Avery, and Wolski from the salary cap. Wolski has undeniable skill but he's wildly inconsistent both in production and compete level.

OUT: Drury, Avery, Boogaard, McCabe, Prospal, Christensen, Wolski

IN: Richards, Kreider, Thomas, Grachev, Del Zotto, McIlrath, Hagelin

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:49 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Vaclav Prospal ($2.480m) / Ville Leino ($0.800m)
Ryan Callahan ($2.300m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.850m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m)
Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Alexander Frolov ($3.000m)
Brandon Prust ($0.800m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Brian Boyle ($0.525m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($0.500m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Joni Pitkanen ($4.000m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $47,642,500; BONUSES: $637,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $11,757,500

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:25 PM
EJS280

Leino-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Hagelin-Stepan-MZA
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Pitkanen
Girardi-Sauer
McDonagh-Del Zotto

Lundqvist
Biron

No clue if it fits with Drury retiring, most likely not, but thats a team I would actually want to watch.

EJS280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
More or less. Hagelin definitely belongs on the 3rd line with Stepan. If no better option is available, then yes to Prospal for one more year.
I agree, I love that kids game.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJS280 View Post
Leino-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Hagelin-Stepan-MZA
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Pitkanen
Girardi-Sauer
McDonagh-Del Zotto

Lundqvist
Biron

No clue if it fits with Drury retiring, most likely not, but thats a team I would actually want to watch.
I don't think we'll be able to afford Pitkanen and Leino. Especially since we need to sign Dubi and Cally

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote