HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Draft

Old
04-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

vCash: 500
I kinda wish the NHL would go to the NBA type lottery.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
See? Why couldn't that happen to us last year? We look like we're getting the 1st pick all year, make a late playoff run to screw over those chances, then DON'T win the lottery...
Whatever rationale, I am glad it didn't happen. We'd probably have Brett Connolly or Ryan Johansen now instead of Jeff Skinner. I don't think the organization would have had the balls to take him 3rd overall.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Well, at least we didn't lose a spot. 12 is not that bad, hopefully Murphy pulls a Fowler.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Whatever rationale, I am glad it didn't happen. We'd probably have Brett Connolly or Ryan Johansen now instead of Jeff Skinner. I don't think the organization would have had the balls to take him 3rd overall.
Maybe, but I wouldn't have thought that they had the guts to take him at 7, either... But hey, they said he was 3rd on their list after Taylor and Tyler, so who knows? We probably would've taken Gudbranson, though. I'm glad it didn't happen either, I'm entirely pleased with last year's draft, but had I not known who we'd pick and who he'd turn out to be, I'd be pissed if I knew that NJ'd do the same thing next year.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Axel View Post
Well, at least we didn't lose a spot. 12 is not that bad, hopefully Murphy pulls a Fowler.
Amen. I want another Kitchener Ranger after our last one. Bring me Landeskog or Murphy. Right meow.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
See? Why couldn't that happen to us last year? We look like we're getting the 1st pick all year, make a late playoff run to screw over those chances, then DON'T win the lottery...

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:16 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I don't see how Landeskog gets past the Devils if he's there at 4. Swedish? Check. Two-way forward? Check. ****in' Devils.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Axel View Post
Last year, we were hoping Fowler pulled a Fowler

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:31 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Not necessarily true. I remember hearing from someone I trust pretty well on this one that he was either #3 or #4 on the Canes big board. Aside from the top two, he was by far the highest forward on the board. So it was likely either Skinner or possibly Gud to begin with.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Oogie Boogie

I would so laugh if they would of had to forfeit over their 1st round draft pick this year.

Oogie Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:18 PM
totaltank

I wish the Canes had the stones to reach for the guy they really wanted at No. 3 in 2005, but alas ...

Of course, we'd have ripped 'em a new one if they did.

Last edited by totaltank: 04-12-2011 at 11:29 PM.
totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:39 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
I wish the Canes had the stones to reach for the guy they really wanted at No. 3 in 2005, but alas ...

Of course, we'd have ripped 'em a new one if they did.
Yeah no kidding. That one's really coming back to burn us. Pity that Anaheim didn't do us a favor by making the split in the scouting staff on who to take a non-issue.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Tank King Jimmy
DO LESS BETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Yeah no kidding. That one's really coming back to burn us. Pity that Anaheim didn't do us a favor by making the split in the scouting staff on who to take a non-issue.
Who were we looking at in 05? Mark Staal?

Tank King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:10 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonfortheHart View Post
Who were we looking at in 05? Mark Staal?
bingo

I would have loved the pick. I'm sure some would have been pissed off about it but it would have been a perfect pick for what we needed at the time and still need.

Old
04-13-2011, 05:29 AM
bleedgreen

No one would've agreed with Staal at 3 at the time. As much as I dig jj, idve had no problem with it now. I probably would've been pissed draft day if we took Staal that early though. Would've screamed bloodlines. M Staal is the poo though. As much as I like jj, Staal is a better all around, steady force.

I think Murphy is the kind of d we would take in the first, though we would throw him to the wolves early.

As for the lottery, we can thank Alexandre daigle and the woeful inaugural senators squad for that ridiculous game we play every year. Instead of the lottery, fine the team you think tanked or make them give up a pick. If you suck, you should be rewarded. Period. It all equals out in the end. The senators paid the price for tanking by getting the guy they wanted. His contract alone imo led to the 95 lockout and the rookie cap. They paid him more the Gretzky I believe, though that was quickly corrected. It may have been lemieux. Anyway the agents had a field day with that comparable to work with. Changed the whole pay landscape in months.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 04-13-2011 at 05:39 AM.
bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 07:35 AM
Sens1Canes2

You think that Sens team tanked? Lol take a look at the roster, and your mind should change.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Mossy Oak
Noted.

vCash: 50
I would've always been ok with a Marc Staal pick, though it definitely would have been a bloodlines move, even if it proved to be the right one today. However, back at the time of the pick Marc was looked upon as a bit more of a project and it was thought he wouldnt have much of an offensive aspect to his game. Jack Johnson was compared to the second coming of Dion Phaneuf at the time, which was huge. Even going back i'd likely still take Johnson based on what we knew that day. Johnson was viewed as an all around defenseman, a potential Chris Pronger of this era. Big, nasty, physical with a great offensive game. At the time he appeared as a franchise defenseman. Generally speaking, you don't pass that package up for a projected defensive defenseman. I think we made the right decision that day based on what we knew that day. 6 years later, i'd take Staal and not think twice about it.

With that said, had we of drafted Marc, there is no doubt in my mind JR would have slapped the rush tag on him. I have no doubts about that. Would it have hurt him? who knows, but it likely wouldn't have been good for him because he wasn't ready. The Rangers did it the right way with Marc, gave him 2 more years in the OHL, got to play in two WJC too. Not in a million years do I think we would have done that. For the sake of Marc's career, it's probably best JR didn't get his hands on him. I've personally always felt that way.

04-24-2011, 05:57 AM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

We should take Mika Zibanejad, the kid is legit.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:01 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanson View Post
We should take Mika Zibanejad, the kid is legit.
There's a few centers I want there, he's one of them. The others are Mark McNeill and Mark Scheifele.

Of course, if Murphy, Couturier, or Strome falls to our pick that's another matter entirely, but I don't see them falling to #12.

Old
04-24-2011, 08:23 AM
LuckyLuke87

No offense but there's no chance Murphy will fall out of top 10. He will never fall past Bruins at 9 if he lasts that long (which I higly doubt). He suits their needs incredibly. That kid is simply too good to be passed over by teams in desperate need of puck moving defenseman (Bruins, Jackets, maybe Isles). And from people who watch junior hockey closely and watch him play regularly, Murphy is the most talented offensive defensemen in 10 years at least. He's showing how talented he is at U18 right now.

LuckyLuke87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:22 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLuke87 View Post
No offense but there's no chance Murphy will fall out of top 10. He will never fall past Bruins at 9 if he lasts that long (which I higly doubt). He suits their needs incredibly. That kid is simply too good to be passed over by teams in desperate need of puck moving defenseman (Bruins, Jackets, maybe Isles). And from people who watch junior hockey closely and watch him play regularly, Murphy is the most talented offensive defensemen in 10 years at least. He's showing how talented he is at U18 right now.
Oh I have no doubt that he's going before #12. IMO (and a lot of other peoples as well) there's a pretty clear distinction between the top 8 prospects this year, which includes Murphy, and the next tier. That's not to say that the next tier doesn't have star potential (I really like Siemens from that group) but it's not quite as certain. It's a lot like 06 when it was pretty clear that the top 5 were Erik Johnson, Jordan Staal, Kessel, Backstrom, and Toews.

Old
04-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Scorvo

Any chance we trade up or trade away the pick? I remember reading an article where one of our scouts(macdonald I think it was) said he wasn't too high on this draft.

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:21 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Trade up? not overly likely

Trade the pick? quite possible, especially if there's a team looking to offload some salary at the draft for cap purposes and has a dman we're after.

Old
04-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Trade up? not overly likely

Trade the pick? quite possible, especially if there's a team looking to offload some salary at the draft for cap purposes and has a dman we're after.
I am having trouble thinking about a defender worth the 12th overall pick that would be:

1. Worth the 12th overall pick.
2. Available.
3. Paid a reasonable salary.
4. For at least a few seasons.

I highly doubt we deal the 12th overall unless we're moving up, to be honest. This team is rife with moves made via "connections", and if one of the Kitchener players passes the sniff test by the organization we're certainly armed well enough to move up considering our prospect depth and roster depth. I thought we may have considered it last year had we not been fairly certain we were going to get our guy anyways with the 7th, but this year it's even more of a no brain decision to move up if you have a guy slotted pretty high and he falls into the range of a team less convinced. I think the wheelhouse for Landeskog is probably the 4th or 5th overall and the 7th or 8th overall for Murphy. If either of them slip to that point, you have to think that JR is on the phone trying to make something work. Especially on Landeskog as he's exactly the type of complimentary player that we could really use. And face it, how many times have we seen a top prospect attend a Hurricanes game to see his buddy play? The nepotism practically makes itself on that pick.

But again, it's all conjecture. JR may be so cocky after the Skinner pick that he tries to pull another rabbit out of his hat on draft day and ends up cocking the pick. I would actually say we're somewhat overdue for a first or second round goaltender selection if there were any worthy of slot merit.

Old
04-24-2011, 01:10 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:

But again, it's all conjecture. JR may be so cocky after the Skinner pick that he tries to pull another rabbit out of his hat on draft day and ends up cocking the pick. I would actually say we're somewhat overdue for a first or second round goaltender selection if there were any worthy of slot merit.
First round there aren't any that are even close.

But the second round, there's a ton that should get consideration from our scouts IMO: John Gibson (US U-18), Chris Gibson (Chicoutimi), Samu Perhonen (Finland), Magnus Hellberg (Sweden). I think we're overdue to take a shot at another dman as well, and ther are plenty of them around #12 worth looking at.

I'm fairly OK with JR keeping the pick and even taking a gamble with it. Gamble being more the Mark Scheifele, Jamie Oleksiak type picks. Please no Tyler Biggs unless it's in the 2nd round.