HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Bruins showing they are playoff built and deep.

Old
04-23-2011, 07:42 AM
22Brad Park

vCash: 500
Bruins showing they are playoff built and deep.

I never usually start a thread ,but have been seeing threads popping up all over this place questioning different players and who should play type thing.I am not gonna say any player should be in over another but i will say,I am darn well proud of way they are fighting back vs Montreal and proving their depth as shown by the Ryder,Peverley and Kelly line in last game.I think the Bruins are going to win this series and get stronger as playoffs go.I hope the rest of you will just settle in and cheer this lineup that just won 2 tough games in a very tough building this time of year.GO BRUINS ,

Sorrry about title,i did not know what else to put it under,figured its talk before tonites game so feel free mods to list it properly .Go bruins!

Last edited by 22Brad Park: 04-23-2011 at 07:47 AM.
22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:47 AM
panny2727

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
I never usually start a thread ,but have been seeing threads popping up all over this place questioning different players and who should play type thing.I am not gonna say any player should be in over another but i will say,I am darn well proud of way they are fighting back vs Montreal and proving their depth as shown by the Ryder,Peverley and Kelly line in last game.I think the Bruins are going to win this series and get stronger as playoffs go.I hope the rest of you will just settle in and cheer this lineup that won 2 tough games in a very tough building this time of year.GO BRUINS ,
you have reinforced the point of my negativity thread. I am done questioning who should be in. I am going to enjoy the game tonight without critiquing the entire thing. Seguin has earned a right to play a game in my opinion but so has all thus far. Tough to be the coach sometimes. He will get a chance at some point.

panny2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:51 AM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by panny2727 View Post
you have reinforced the point of my negativity thread. I am done questioning who should be in. I am going to enjoy the game tonight without critiquing the entire thing. Seguin has earned a right to play a game in my opinion but so has all thus far. Tough to be the coach sometimes. He will get a chance at some point.
whoever plays will be needed to man up.I am cheering them all on to victory.I am just so proud of the way they came back last game and killed that late penalty.I think this team has matured and are ready for next step now.Montreal is not beating them,

Old
04-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Best team in the East for sure.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:52 AM
stolimanmike

To do what we just did speaks huge volumes of what this team can do. As much as I love my team, I NEVER would have bet that we would win games 3 AND 4 in MTL. On Thursday night, a friend of mine asked me what I would be like if we won the Cup - that's how pumped and surprised I was (been hammered ever since!).

As was spoken in a previous thread: NOW, Game Five is the most important game. And so on, and so on, and so on ...

Gosh, I wish I could be there; make noise, boys

stolimanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:08 AM
howaryuh

Montreal's speed is one huge obstacle for this team to overcome. Win the next two of three and not that it's going to easy by any stretch, but at least we'll matchup better no matter who else.
While Seguin is not playing, it's good to know he is ready to step in should an injury occur.
I'd like to see Thomas settle down a bit and start dominating throughout the game. Not that I'm complaining, he has come up with big saves when the team needed them in the last two games.

howaryuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:14 AM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by howaryuh View Post
Montreal's speed is one huge obstacle for this team to overcome. Win the next two of three and not that it's going to easy by any stretch, but at least we'll matchup better no matter who else.
While Seguin is not playing, it's good to know he is ready to step in should an injury occur.
I'd like to see Thomas settle down a bit and start dominating throughout the game. Not that I'm complaining, he has come up with big saves when the team needed them in the last two games.
Bruins have em running scared now Hitting and smarts slows down speed.We all gonna see it tonite !!!

Old
04-23-2011, 08:20 AM
stick9

Winning two in Montreal is certainly a substantial feat. But lets not be hasty. They've only won two games against a team they should beat.

Even after two road wins, there are still some major questions from management all the way down.

Not too high, not too low.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:21 AM
howaryuh

Quote:
Bruins have em running scared now Hitting and smarts slows down speed.We all gonna see it tonite !!!
+1. Aside from the Ryder/Peverley/Kelly line coming up huge, the adjustments in defensive positional play has improved. I read one of the habs players saying there is no way the B's could win 4 in a row. Oh yeah???? Go B's Go!!!

howaryuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:25 AM
GuinnRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Winning two in Montreal is certainly a substantial feat. But lets not be hasty. They've only won two games against a team they should beat.

Even after two road wins, there are still some major questions from management all the way down.

Not too high, not too low.
Agreed. The Bruins have led for exactly 60 of 240 minutes (that's 1/4 for non-math folks) in this series...and they're the 3 seed.

They are lucky to be tied, when in fact given talent level of Habs team they face, they should be faring much better.

GuinnRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnRocks View Post
Agreed. The Bruins have led for exactly 60 of 240 minutes (that's 1/4 for non-math folks) in this series...and they're the 3 seed.

They are lucky to be tied, when in fact given talent level of Habs team they face, they should be faring much better.
The habs have more talent.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Cid

Quote:
I never usually start a thread ,but have been seeing threads popping up all over this place questioning different players and who should play type thing.I am not gonna say any player should be in over another but i will say,I am darn well proud of way they are fighting back vs Montreal and proving their depth as shown by the Ryder,Peverley and Kelly line in last game.I think the Bruins are going to win this series and get stronger as playoffs go.I hope the rest of you will just settle in and cheer this lineup that just won 2 tough games in a very tough building this time of year.GO BRUINS ,

Sorrry about title,i did not know what else to put it under,figured its talk before tonites game so feel free mods to list it properly .Go bruins!
While I am still pumped from the last game and 2 wins in Montreal, I can't say I think we will go deep in the playoffs, playing the way we have been.

I've been watching all series and I have to say it pains me as a Bruin's fan to say this, but we've looked the worst of all 16 teams. I'm not counting Phoenix because Detroit is still just so far ahead of the rest of the game.

It was a hell of a comeback in the last game but that first half of the game was one of the most atrocious showings I have seen in a long while. The collapse in the 3rd period of game 3 and the lackluster performances on home ice, leave me feeling this team just isn't built playoff deep ready. I think we will get out of this series, but what comes next scares me.

We still have yet to fix season long problems. Our top line is nowhere to be seen. And that is a problem cause your best players are who win you cups. You can't expect Ryder/Kelly/Peverley to steal every game. Our powerplay is non existent, and this to me is out most pressing concern. Thomas has shown his weakness with rebound control on hard low shots. And smaller fast teams are STILL, after 3 years, giving our defense fits. Lastly, not sure if a full 60 minute effort will ever be seen with this team.

Love this team as much as the next guy, and think we can take Montreal out with a big win tonight on home ice. But the mistakes and performance leading up to this game scare the bejeebus out of me going forward. We really need to settle it down, get our big boys going, play a full 60 minutes, find a way to get our powerplay to score and control opposing teams speed.

It's a long road ahead and we have the potential for sure but I need to see more consistency out of this team and they NEED to WANT IT MORE.

Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:27 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnRocks View Post

I don't think you give enough credit to the Habs talent. They did finish only 7 points behind you without their top 2 defenseman for most of all of the season.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Killer B
Honey Badger

For the most part, the Bruins have not played very well. I think we are very fortunate to be tied 2-2.
That being said, there's something to be said about a team that "finds a way to win" when they're not playing great. If this team can start to put it all together (great goaltending, limit the defensive
misteaks, get some of our forwards clicking), then this team could do some real damage...

Please put it all together for 14 more games....

Killer B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:17 AM
22Brad Park

I am gonna say this one more time,Boston is a team built for playoffs.They are big strong and deep.HaBs are a fast team with lots of skill.I keep seeing posts not givning them any respect but they beat out Caps last yr and Pens who were top seeds.Teams rise to challenge in playoffs and they have one of hardest places to win in playoffs.The Bruins are showing me guts thsi series.Nit many teams in NHl have speed habs have.Boston is not a fast team yet here they are adapting and ahead in series with shot to win on Tuesday.

Old
04-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
I am gonna say this one more time,Boston is a team built for playoffs.They are big strong and deep.HaBs are a fast team with lots of skill.I keep seeing posts not givning them any respect but they beat out Caps last yr and Pens who were top seeds.Teams rise to challenge in playoffs and they have one of hardest places to win in playoffs.The Bruins are showing me guts thsi series.Nit many teams in NHl have speed habs have.Boston is not a fast team yet here they are adapting and ahead in series with shot to win on Tuesday.
Way too easy to say this after the team overcame a 0-2 deficit. We all are very, very please with the way this team fought back. We have no choice but to be proud of them. That said, the first two games exposed some weaknesses and believe it or not, these weaknesses are still there. The Bruins were able to take that 3-2 lead because, finally, some players decided to produce. I said, before the series begin, that the Bruins were a one line scoring team. They were in the first two games and you saw the according result: 2 losses. You have to be very, very careful, here, because this offense can suddenly " shut down " and score one goal in the next 2 games. Inconsistency is one of your worst enemy in the playoffs.

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Grasshopperking
Oh salad days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
The habs have more talent.
How do you figure?

We have a much deeper, versatile team, a perennial Norris candidate, a Vezina winner and nominee this year, a fantastic 2 way forward in Bergy, a skilled playmaker in Krejci... i can go on and on.
I know it's typical to overrate your team and maybe I am, but I feel like these guys deserve more credit than that. They won the division, they fought back from a 2 game deficit. They've been playing with heart and desire.
I don't know how anyone could say with a straight face that the Habs are a more talented bunch when we've dominated the play in the majority of these games.
Please elaborate because I don't see it

Grasshopperking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:51 AM
ODAAT

One of the biggest improvements, and one which I am sure I`ll get shot down for here for suggesting from the anti CJ crowd is Claude himself. Last season, 2nd OT, he woulda insisted upon and thrown out the 4 lines as per usual, last night, not close to it, anyone even see Soupy/Thornton or Paille out there for anything other than the odd shift to give the other 3 a breather?? Not me.

CJ`s TO timing has been great in the last few games too.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:55 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopperking View Post
How do you figure?

We have a much deeper, versatile team, a perennial Norris candidate, a Vezina winner and nominee this year, a fantastic 2 way forward in Bergy, a skilled playmaker in Krejci... i can go on and on.
I know it's typical to overrate your team and maybe I am, but I feel like these guys deserve more credit than that. They won the division, they fought back from a 2 game deficit. They've been playing with heart and desire.
I don't know how anyone could say with a straight face that the Habs are a more talented bunch when we've dominated the play in the majority of these games.
Skill/speed/passing ability which I suppose is part of the skill dept. the Habs have Gionta/Cammy/Kostitsyn (when he feels like playing)/Plekanec and Gomez who`s a tool but is skilled.

Our top 5 for arguments sake is DK (who moves with absolutely no urgency) uber skilled but is far from consistent in using it, Horton (streaky scorer who hasn`t found yet a playoff groove), Looch, a power forward who hasn`t played powerful with the exception of last night , Bergy (who`s the best rounded 3 zone player).

Outside of that, Pevs (who I think will be fantastic next year as he`ll be more comfortable) and Ryder/Rex who ya never know what you`ll get out of the former and Rex is Rex.

On paper, skill set, not even close IMO, the Habs have much stronger skill set in their top 5 than the Bruins.

Old
04-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Shaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
One of the biggest improvements, and one which I am sure I`ll get shot down for here for suggesting from the anti CJ crowd is Claude himself. Last season, 2nd OT, he woulda insisted upon and thrown out the 4 lines as per usual, last night, not close to it, anyone even see Soupy/Thornton or Paille out there for anything other than the odd shift to give the other 3 a breather?? Not me.

Not going to lie I was absolutely shocked when he was rolling 3 lines throughout OT. It was pleasantly surprising.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopperking View Post
How do you figure?

Watching last night's game it should be clear there isn't much of a difference talentwise between these 2 teams. They both depend on their goaltenders a lot. Moving on against better teams they will need to cut down on the miscues in order to advance.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:05 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Not going to lie I was absolutely shocked when he was rolling 3 lines throughout OT. It was pleasantly surprising.
More subtle moves too, in his own end, having Bergy take almost all of the faceoffs regardless if it was with DK/Horton on the wings. Little things that have shown this fan, CJ has been far less rigid with his stance on same old, same old. IMO, he has outcoached Martin.

The Habs had their chances, but anyone notice how often ALL the Habs did was flip the bloody puck out?? Other than that, they incorportate a 1-4 attack, take away the boards on offense, and a 1-4 defensive trap in the neutral zone, followed by all 5 guys collapsing in their zone which isn`t at all uncommon.

Martin has made exactly zero adjustments, CJ has, and although the B`s are hardly running away with things, Martin has been outcoached IMO.

Old
04-24-2011, 09:09 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Watching last night's game it should be clear there isn't much of a difference talentwise between these 2 teams. They both depend on their goaltenders a lot. Moving on against better teams they will need to cut down on the miscues in order to advance.
Your right, Montreal is a team who waits for opportunities, rarely do thier chances come on something they have created (despite the Halpern goal where they won a board battle) whereas I see the B`s as a team who tries to win the battles in the offensive zone.

Montreal does nothing but flip the puck out of their own zone repeatedly, hope a d-man mishandles the puck, or makes an ill timed pass then transition themselves.

Old
04-24-2011, 09:13 AM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post

Thornton, Campbell and Paille didn't have a single shift in either of the OT periods.

I was shocked. (In a very good way).

Last two games Claude has finally showed some adaptation and balls. I'm loving it.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

This team has responded well after the two home losses an have made the right adjustments.

That said, the PP and first line need to start clicking. It's absurd that Boston could potentially win this series without scoring a powerplay goal.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote