HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What needs to be done this offseason?

Old
04-24-2011, 12:03 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
First thing before July 1st is clear the following off the roster these following players are very lil difference makers for this team and look at what they take up!

Drury - 7.05 Buyout/Retire
Wolski - 3.8 Trade
Avery - 1.938 Buyout
Boogaard - 1.625 Retire/Trade/Overseas
Christensen - .925 Trade

Their cap total is 15.338 just removing them gives this team such flexibility now I know its not that much if we had to buyout at least avery and Drury but still plenty of cap to be had if Sather moves these bodies!
Clearing them and then someone like Gilroy to give us some extra cap room, and then signing Richards and another impact guy would be huge.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Ke11y96

Just messing around all hypothetical of course..

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Brad Richards ($6.800m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.500m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.850m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.500m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.662m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Evgeny Grachev ($0.816m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.500m) / Brian Boyle ($1.250m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.550m)
Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m) / Dylan McIlrath ($1.370m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,374,999; BONUSES: $1,225,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $2,025,001

Nash for MDZ, Kreider, Wolski, 1st, and 2nd of this year.

Now there has to be a bit of luck to pull this off..

Drury - Retires
Dont resign - Frolov, Prospal, Eminger or McCabe
Trade Christensen for a late pick.
Avery is bought out I hope RangerBoy is right when saying its only a cap hit of like 667,777 so that would leave us with just over 1.3 mill in capspace.
Boogaard retires.
Trade or dont resign Gilroy.

*Now we could buyout Drury and Avery but then wouldn't be able to sign an experienced puck mover which we would need because MDZ went in the Nash deal. We would have to have something on the last pairing like Vtank - Gilroy to work it out capwise.

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:34 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

Drury - Retires
Avery is bought out I hope RangerBoy is right when saying its only a cap hit of like 667,777 so that would leave us with just over 1.3 mill in capspace.
Boogaard retires.

*Now we could buyout Drury and Avery but then wouldn't be able to sign an experienced puck mover which we would need because MDZ went in the Nash deal. We would have to have something on the last pairing like Vtank - Gilroy to work it out capwise.
I love. We can dream..

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:40 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If I could make a deal around McIlrath for an offensive force I would jump at the opportunity.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:49 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

McIlrath aint making the NHL, that'll be Kundratek or Valentenko or a guy like Eminger in that spot...but i love your thinking...thats exactly the kind of thing we should be doing.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:33 AM
Ke11y96

Another thing is two guys with solid contracts given their production that have been rumored to be at least be on the potential movement is Martin Havlat and Brent Burns. I would take either one given our needs. Its probably damn near impossible to land both but 4 more years at an even 5.0 million for Havlat is a good deal. He's not a power forward like Nash but averages same amount of points and imo much more creative. Burns speaks for himself a big guy with a great shot, excellent skating and puck movement him and Staalzy would be incredible. Imagine a top five of..

Havlat - Richards - Gaborik

Staal - Burns

I know those aren't exactly physical demons but they sure would be tough to get the puck from...

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:53 AM
Zuuuuc

What I would like to see for the opening night roster in October
Wolski - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinksy - Anisimov - Callahan
Zuccarello - Stepan - Avery
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McD - Sauer
Del Zotto - Grizzled vet/shutdown/sandpaper type Dman

Lundqvist
Biron

I think it could work, especially if Richards can return Gaborik and Wolski to what they were in the 09-10 season and not the shells we saw this season

Zuuuuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:16 AM
UAGoalieGuy

For so reason I think Wolski would flurish playing with Richards. There are four spots open, imo, if the Rangers sign Richards. I think if Avery keeps playing like he did in the playoffs, you keep him.

Wolski - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov/Stepan - Callahan
XXXX - Stepan/Anisimov - XXXX
Avery - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
Sauer - McD
XXXX - XXXX

On the third line there will be a battle between Thomas, Hagelin, MZA, Christiansen, and if the Rangers decide to bring Feds back on a tryout again, him.

On D, the top 4 are set. Then I would like to see MDZ and V-Tank on the third pairing if one of them could transition to the right side. Either that or a vet-shutdown d-man should be brought in for that 3rd pairing RD position.

Last edited by UAGoalieGuy: 04-24-2011 at 04:39 AM.
UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:42 AM
GarretJoseph*

I'm not holding my breath on Kreider, Hagelin, Bourque, Thomas or Werek. McIlrath will play in the NHL and will be good at that but us Ranger fans will expect more from him due to his high draft position.

I'm a long time Ranger fan and can honestly say prospects no longer excite me unless they are no miss prospects and we don't have a single one of them. The days of Lundmark, Jessiman, Cliche, Korpikoski, Dawes, Baranka, Prucha, Brendl, Malhotra & Sanguinetti should still be fresh in some of the younger Ranger fans around here. They were all supposed to be big time scorers or play-makers, or PPQB's or shut down defensemen or top two way forwards. Not one of them panned out for us.

I have my doubts now about Grachev even making it and if we keep screwing around with Del Zotto he'll be traded not before long. The only player we had that was IMO gonna be a sure hit was the russian kid Cherepanov (RIP)

Next year is huge for A.A and also for Boyle (to see if he can keep it up).. also as much as everyone raves about Dubinsky and Callahan, what exactly have they shown besides being excellent 3rd liners, decent 2nd liners? Gaborik is starving for the puck out on the ice and nobody can play at his skill level. No wonder it looked like he gave up this season. Christensen? Please, what an insult. If we are lucky, Callahan will turn into a poor mans Ryan Smyth (when he was good with the Oilers, captain, lots of heart, 30 goal scorer) and Dubinsky believe it or not looks like a younger Prospal, a **** tease to say the least. Prospal had two great seasons (79 & 80 points) and the rest were filled with 50 points here and there. Dubinsky looks like he's going down that path fast. The more I think about it, Dubinsky would be lucky to see 80 points, he'd have to be playing with Richards & Gaborik to even see that.

This team is all meat & potatoes. I don't see any scoring/set up skill and the skill I do see isn't going to carry this team. We have some kids on the roster that a lot of teams would love to have, I say trade 3 of them with a pick & prospect for a top top skilled player, I can't remember the last team that won a stanley cup without 2 or 3 or more highly skilled forwards and 1 great puck moving defenseman.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:47 AM
GarretJoseph*

And BTW, I was reading the Hawks board and it seems they are willing to move Campbell (a PPQB) for Redden... It does speak volumes of what they think of Campbell at the moment and while I may reject that deal (only because Redden's salary isn't a cap hit at the moment) I would consider Campbell for Drury and say Wolski :-)

Old
04-24-2011, 07:15 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I'm not holding my breath on Kreider, Hagelin, Bourque, Thomas or Werek. McIlrath will play in the NHL and will be good at that but us Ranger fans will expect more from him due to his high draft position.

I'm a long time Ranger fan and can honestly say prospects no longer excite me unless they are no miss prospects and we don't have a single one of them. The days of Lundmark, Jessiman, Cliche, Korpikoski, Dawes, Baranka, Prucha, Brendl, Malhotra & Sanguinetti should still be fresh in some of the younger Ranger fans around here. They were all supposed to be big time scorers or play-makers, or PPQB's or shut down defensemen or top two way forwards. Not one of them panned out for us.

I have my doubts now about Grachev even making it and if we keep screwing around with Del Zotto he'll be traded not before long. The only player we had that was IMO gonna be a sure hit was the russian kid Cherepanov (RIP)

Next year is huge for A.A and also for Boyle (to see if he can keep it up).. also as much as everyone raves about Dubinsky and Callahan, what exactly have they shown besides being excellent 3rd liners, decent 2nd liners? Gaborik is starving for the puck out on the ice and nobody can play at his skill level. No wonder it looked like he gave up this season. Christensen? Please, what an insult. If we are lucky, Callahan will turn into a poor mans Ryan Smyth (when he was good with the Oilers, captain, lots of heart, 30 goal scorer) and Dubinsky believe it or not looks like a younger Prospal, a **** tease to say the least. Prospal had two great seasons (79 & 80 points) and the rest were filled with 50 points here and there. Dubinsky looks like he's going down that path fast. The more I think about it, Dubinsky would be lucky to see 80 points, he'd have to be playing with Richards & Gaborik to even see that.

This team is all meat & potatoes. I don't see any scoring/set up skill and the skill I do see isn't going to carry this team. We have some kids on the roster that a lot of teams would love to have, I say trade 3 of them with a pick & prospect for a top top skilled player, I can't remember the last team that won a stanley cup without 2 or 3 or more highly skilled forwards and 1 great puck moving defenseman.
I agree, it is difficult to project what prospects will make it big in the NHL. Grachev was the golden boy 2 years ago, Kreider was last year and this year it is Thomas. For all we know, a player like Hagelin shines at the NHL level and etc.

Ouch with the memories of Lundmark, Brendl, Jessiman, Malhotra, Korps, Sangs Dawes, Prucha and etc. All these prospects were hyped up as the future looked so bright!..

With all that said, this team does have a very good nucleus playing well at the NHL level. Staal, Girardi, Cally, Dubinsky, Stepan and etc look to be very good for a long time. Slats needs to be be patient while also at the same time do his usual wheeling and dealing with trades that always seem to be "steals".

Adding a UFA such as Richards will only help this team. It will get Gaborik going at the 35-40 goal level again.

This team is real close to making some serious noise for a long time. A lot of pieces are in place.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:28 AM
cenas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Especially Callahans prorated 65 point pace is way more than what an excellent 3rd liner produces. There were only about 30 guys who hit that mark..

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:21 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by asakuj View Post
Especially Callahans prorated 65 point pace is way more than what an excellent 3rd liner produces. There were only about 30 guys who hit that mark..
If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle....

Callahan's skill set isn't getting any better IMO. He's getting stronger (fully grown into his body now) and he's getting smarter (more experienced) but Cally is a grinder with a nice shot. Like I said, he's a poor mans Ryan Smyth (oiler days) for me. Great heart, good leader, tough as nails, will give his body for the cause, can hit 30 goals but he hasn't done that yet. I also stated he's a decent 2nd liner. He's worth a lot more to the Rangers than to a lot of other teams.

If he becomes like Smyth which I can only hope he does, he'll become a good first liner or a great 2nd liner. He's not that now.

Old
04-24-2011, 08:34 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Kovalchuk > Richards >>>>> Drury, Gomez
Kovalchuk has more talent and I guess you can argue that makes him a better player, but anyone that doesn't believe Richards is a better component for winning teams is in denial. I'd rather have Zetterberg or Datsyuk over Malkin, but I think Malkin is an overall better talent.

I was against Gaborik and Kovalchuk. But I'm all for getting Richards. I shouldn't even have to go in depth on this, some guys are amazing players and other guys help you win. I said in prior years to wait for the core, have patience and strike a free agent when the time is right for both the team and the situation. I think this is that time.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:40 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Kovalchuk has more talent and I guess you can argue that makes him a better player, but anyone that doesn't believe Richards is a better component for winning teams is in denial. I'd rather have Zetterberg or Datsyuk over Malkin, but I think Malkin is an overall better talent.

I was against Gaborik and Kovalchuk. But I'm all for getting Richards. I shouldn't even have to go in depth on this, some guys are amazing players and other guys help you win. I said in prior years to wait for the core, have patience and strike a free agent when the time is right for both the team and the situation. I think this is that time.
I wanted Kovalchuk because he was available and there wasn't even a guarantee Richards (*or any other #1C) would hit UFA in the foreseeable future (the fact Kovalchuk is younger also makes him more attractive -- although not entirely, in light of the contract he signed).

That being said, Richards fits this team a lot better than Kovalchuk would've. Richards fills both of the team's biggest holes: #1 playmaking center and PP QB. If you have to overpay to obtain that, so be it.

EDIT: There are zero #1Cs slated to become UFAs in 2012. In 2013, Crosby and Getzlaf "could" become UFAs, but I think it's very, very unlikely that their respective teams don't re-sign them. They're both just too important to their franchises.

In the modern NHL, stars just don't become UFAs unless they want out of their current environment or carry significant baggage. Pounce when you have a golden opportunity like this. Maybe it doesn't work out, but it's the best chance we have to take the next step without gutting our core, and even if we were willing to gut our core to bring in elite talent, there is no guarantee that we could find a trade partner willing to move elite talent in return.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:53 AM
NorthlandPro

The bottom 6 need to have the 3 S, size, speed & snarl. Hagelin fits in with Boyle and Prust. I would look to trade / sign players like Chris Neil and Mike Rupp for the 4the line. We have to make a decision on MDZ. He has the talent, no doubt, but does he have hockey smarts? If the analysis is that he doesn't have the smarts and will continue to make the same stupid mistakes over and over then this is the off season to trade him for a piece we need, i.e. a scorer. We need a D man that can move laterally and stretch the penalty killers to creating shooting lanes and who can shoot. We need a first line center and Richards is the only one out there for free. The other choices are either via a trade or if there is some team out there that is in cap hell that you could sign to an offer sheet and either do the picks for or come to an agreement on a trade. Parise in NJ is an example. They still have contracts that count whether the player plays or retires, no trade, no movement and others that are just plain hard to move. If nothing else anyone signing him to a sheet puts the screws to them. It could actually force NJ or any team in that situation to dump other players or agree to let the player go.

Last edited by NorthlandPro: 04-24-2011 at 08:58 AM.
NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetBigWangs View Post
As a neutral observer, he's what I saw in the series.

There was a lot of 'try' from the NYR but not much execution. Your guys handled the puck like it was a grenade. You couldn't break out of your zone or enter theirs. You need skill guys that can help make their lines better even if you have to sacrifice a little bit of physicality. I'd look into guys like Tanguay, Vrbata, and/or Cole. Part with Frolov/Prospal. Maybe make a bid on Erhoff.

Also, watch for Malkin early in the season. If he shows signs that his recovery is going okay, I'd trade Gaborik + picks/prospects to get Malkin. He's the type of guy that can carry an offense you don't have. He has an NTC but wouldn't he waive it to go to Pitt?

Bury Boogard like Redden and let an NHL ready prospect play in the bottom-6. Is MDZ ready for the NHL? If so start him off in the bottom pair.

Shift lines if you can get Malkin and he looks good 10-15 games into the season.

From Capgeek to start the season

FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.500m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.500m) / Radim Vrbata ($3.000m)
Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Alex Tanguay ($2.100m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.500m)
/ Brandon Prust ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
Matt Gilroy ($1.750m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.250m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m)

GOALTENDERS

SALARY CAP: $62,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,675,000; BONUSES: $1,487,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $325,000
or maybe the rangers can trade gaborik and some picks to the wings for datsyuk & zetterberg? your nuts if you think shero would trade malkin for anyone not named ovechkin, to a division rival no less.

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:59 AM
number71*

Center - Richards
Puck Moving Defence - Erhoff or Wisniewski

Trade Drury (get him to waive NTC by not playing him)

number71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:00 AM
gump116

Sign Richards. Bring back Prospal and Fedotenko on one year deals. Trade for Burns: I'd offer Thomas, McIlrath, Wolski (cap purposes), and this year's 1st. I think this team contends for the cup:

FORWARDS
Vaclav Prospal ($2.480m) / Brad Richards ($7.800m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.500m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.850m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.000m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.662m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($2.000m) / Brian Boyle ($1.525m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Brent Burns ($3.550m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.500m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)

GOALTENDERS

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,230,000; BONUSES: $1,487,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $1,170,000

gump116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:22 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

Drury - Retires
Boogaard retires.

The Rangers and Stars would share an Avery buyout if the Rangers went in that direction.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:34 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Wolski bought out? He is only what... 23 or 24 years old? I wouldn't buy him out, give him another chance next season.

And at this point just hold Drury for one more season then his contract expires. Doesn't make sense to buy him out at this point. Plus, buying out Drury and Wolski would only leave several million $ in dead cap space.

Sign Dubinsky to $2.5-3, sign Callahan for $2.5-3, sign Fedotenko to a 1-year $1 million deal, sign Anisimov to a $1-1.5 contract, if Boyle asks for anything more than $1.5 million than let him walk. If Prospal is willing to jump on board for $1 million again then do it. Re-sign Frolov if he comes at a price tag of $1 million.

Let go of Eminger, Gilroy, McCabe, and potentially Frolov. Move Avery.

Sign Brad Richards to a reasonable contract ($5-6 million), and acquire Joni Pitkanen.

Prospal - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Wolski - Stepan - Zuccarello
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
Del Zotto - Pitkanen

Lundqvist
Biron

Extras; Drury and Christensen can exchange time with Zuccarello and Boyle. I'm sure we won't see MZA or Boyle play a full 82 games next season. Frolov can potentially be an extra too. We can see, potentially Grachev will get into the line up but I'm not too confident in that. We'll see if Kreider is ready. Hopefully he is. All I do is hear about this kids potential. On defense we can see where McIlrath is with his development.
I think Carl Hagelin will fight for a roster spot to. Bet it will be a fight whether he or Zucc will start as a Whale.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
Bring back Marek Malik.
this

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetBigWangs View Post
As a neutral observer, he's what I saw in the series.

There was a lot of 'try' from the NYR but not much execution. Your guys handled the puck like it was a grenade. You couldn't break out of your zone or enter theirs. You need skill guys that can help make their lines better even if you have to sacrifice a little bit of physicality. I'd look into guys like Tanguay, Vrbata, and/or Cole. Part with Frolov/Prospal. Maybe make a bid on Erhoff.

Also, watch for Malkin early in the season. If he shows signs that his recovery is going okay, I'd trade Gaborik + picks/prospects to get Malkin. He's the type of guy that can carry an offense you don't have. He has an NTC but wouldn't he waive it to go to Pitt?

Bury Boogard like Redden and let an NHL ready prospect play in the bottom-6. Is MDZ ready for the NHL? If so start him off in the bottom pair.

Shift lines if you can get Malkin and he looks good 10-15 games into the season.

From Capgeek to start the season

FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.500m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.500m) / Radim Vrbata ($3.000m)
Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Alex Tanguay ($2.100m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.500m)
/ Brandon Prust ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
Matt Gilroy ($1.750m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.250m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m)

GOALTENDERS

SALARY CAP: $62,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,675,000; BONUSES: $1,487,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $325,000
Michael Sauer? sorry but this just seems like a pipedream

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

We need a young top liner with skill. I am open to packaging a deal around anyone not named Lundqvist.

A short time ago, I'd be listing all guys I enjoy watching as untouchable like Sauer, Cally, Staal, Dubi, etc. But this series has shown me we need that guy so bad we have to part with the pieces to get him.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

No one can predict what this teams going to look like besides the returning players and the most likely addition. (Richards)

I think we`re going to see more trades this year. UFA market is slim.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote