HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Gaborik.

Old
04-24-2011, 03:17 AM
slovakfan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
To NYR: Joe Thornton, Dany Heatley, Joe Pavelski, 1st round pick;

To SJ: Marian Gaborik, Erik Christensen, Kris Newbury, 5th round pick.
ROFL

slovakfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:23 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

You don't trade when value is low and you don't trade the only skill and talent in our system. Gabby has always had off years every other year. He'll bounce back next year.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:34 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:

I hope you forgot the because in no way does SJ do this.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:40 AM
HAPPY HOUR

What are Gabbys numbers since he got punched in the head 50 or so times by that rat Carcillo??

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 814
Olesz for Gaborik?

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:56 AM
number71*

Have Richards passing to Gaborik and gabby becomes a fan favorite

number71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:06 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
gaborik will not be traded. period.
The ONLY way Gaborik will not be traded is if someone won't take him. Not if the deal isn't good enough, but as in Brian-Rolston-pass-through-waivers-twice-won't-take-him.

The Rangers (not us - the management which includes Sather and Tortorella) are fed up with him. They know he cannot perform in New York. He can't handle the bright lights and there is too much temptation.

You are way off when you think this is 'just a down year'. The fans or the media haven't touched him and he still cannot perform. What do you think will happen when this continues next year? The Rangers are not waiting to find out.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
The ONLY way Gaborik will not be traded is if someone won't take him. Not if the deal isn't good enough, but as in Brian-Rolston-pass-through-waivers-twice-won't-take-him.

The Rangers (not us - the management which includes Sather and Tortorella) are fed up with him. They know he cannot perform in New York. He can't handle the bright lights and there is too much temptation.

You are way off when you think this is 'just a down year'. The fans or the media haven't touched him and he still cannot perform. What do you think will happen when this continues next year? The Rangers are not waiting to find out.
This is a whole lot of nonsensical conjecture. "Cannot perform in New York?" The guy was well over a PPG and accounted for 25% of our offense last season. This kind of impulsive "analysis" is exactly what's wrong with this fan base.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:41 AM
NYRJE

Quote:

This would be one of the most lopsided trades in history and would definitely get Doug Wilson the firing squad.

NYRJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
This is a whole lot of nonsensical conjecture. "Cannot perform in New York?" The guy was well over a PPG and accounted for 25% of our offense last season. This kind of impulsive "analysis" is exactly what's wrong with this fan base.
Quoted For Truth.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canjo View Post
Suppose for 2 seconds (and this is gonna sound crazy) we dont get richards, then what? nearly every pro-Gabby stance here has had something to do with him and Richards, I realize there is a good chance we get him, but you are all acting like its a guarantee that if we keep Gabby, Richards will be here to center him.

put it this way- if Richards didnt exist, if we were absolutely not going to get him next year (or someone like him), would you keep Gabby in the hopes that he bounces back on his own?
He has in the past. Why would next year be any different?

Old
04-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I was looking for a word for some of this nonsense as I read through the thread - I think you hit the nail on the head with "impulsive."

Looking longterm, unless we get an established top line talent back in return, which we probably wouldnt at this point, then what is the point of trading Gaborik? Especially when all signs point to the Rangers making a big push for Richards.

The young players form a nice foundation, but this team isnt going anywhere is it cant commit to a plan for it's top end players. Gaborik did it all by himself last season, and couldnt pull off the same superhuman feat last season. Does this really surprise anyone?

I think pairing Gaborik with a running mate like Richards is a much better plan than jettisoning Gaborik, signing Richards, and then having the fanbase ***** at Richards when he inevitably cant do it all by himself either.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

If we sign Richards, I'd try him again next year. Remember, he just had an 86 point season last year. If we get Richards he might gel with him or he might not. Who knows? At worst case scenario we trade him at the deadline next year.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:06 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Fair enough.

48 points in 62 games is not well-over a PPG. In fact it's much less. 1 goal in his last 55 shots which includes games down the stretch and the playoffs when the team needed him most and, most importantly, when the light shines the brightest.

I have no problem with people trusting their gut and not looking at the facts, but don't tell me he's a force at $7.5mil when he's an absolute no show for the last month of the season.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers21 View Post
I don't know why everyone is so down on Prospal. Sure, he may not be the best on Gabby's line, but 23 pts in 29 games is nothing to sneeze at. Guy still brings more energy and enthusiasm than most players. Give him 2nd or 3rd line duties and he'll be fine.

And of course, Richards centering Gabby, maybe even putting Prospal on the other wing.
I agree, Prospal and Gabby have shown chemistry in the past. So I wouldn't get rid of him.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:08 AM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
He has in the past. Why would next year be any different?
He has bounced back from what? Being on IR? This is a new precedent for Gaborik. Since he became a point per game player, post lockout, this is the first season Gaborik has gone under a point per game. You dont find this a little alarming? Everyone says he will bounce back. What makes you so sure? If he is the same floating, can't hit the net unless it's the islanders or edmonton player, there is no shot at bouncing back. If he doesn't bounce back, we are in deep trouble.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
He has bounced back from what? Being on IR? This is a new precedent for Gaborik. Since he became a point per game player, post lockout, this is the first season Gaborik has gone under a point per game. You dont find this a little alarming? Everyone says he will bounce back. What makes you so sure? If he is the same floating, can't hit the net unless it's the islanders or edmonton player, there is no shot at bouncing back. If he doesn't bounce back, we are in deep trouble.
If we get rid of the only elite talent we have, the organization is in even deeper trouble.

Ill bet on Gaborik bouncing back, especially if we get him some help.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
What makes you so sure he isn't going to bounce back? One bad season? If he had 2 or 3 bad seasons in a row I could understand your argument.

Old
04-24-2011, 11:24 AM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
What makes you so sure he isn't going to bounce back? One bad season? If he had 2 or 3 bad seasons in a row I could understand your argument.
If he has another bad season, his value is zero and we are likely stuck with that brutal contract till the end.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Stepanformayor*

Gabby was suppose to be an offensive leader this year. The fact that he was invisable all year was the single biggest reason this team did not succeed..IMO Torts did a great job with the young talent, and with what he was given.Which is not much. Again IMO this team has a very bright future..
Gabby doesn't want to be here. Get rid of him Now! Don't let him be an influence on the young guys anymore than he already has. Trade him asap.. A bag of pucks and a water bottle sounds fair to me.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:37 AM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

It was an off year for Gaborik but getting rid of him if you're trying to bring in Richards doesn't make any sense to me. People are so afraid of another 7 million dollar bust, which is understandable with the Rangers track record of late, that I think they are overreacting a bit.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:54 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

If we don't get Richards, then trade Gaborik.

San Jose for Joe Pavelski and Devin Setoguchi.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:05 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Fair enough.

48 points in 62 games is not well-over a PPG. In fact it's much less. 1 goal in his last 55 shots which includes games down the stretch and the playoffs when the team needed him most and, most importantly, when the light shines the brightest.

I have no problem with people trusting their gut and not looking at the facts, but don't tell me he's a force at $7.5mil when he's an absolute no show for the last month of the season.
Last season means the year the Rangers didn't make the playoffs, not this past one where we did. He did account for 25% of the teams goals. He had a lot of bad luck happen to him this year. He got hurt twice, and it seems he never was consistent. He was very consistent the year before. He also had Vinny Prospal to play with for 82 games last season. This year he was playing with different lines every other game. Get him someone he can play with over an 82 game season and you'll see the same player you saw in 09-10.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:09 PM
dynamoovechkin

No way do you trade your only world class offensive talent on a team that struggles to score goals. OK, he got injured, we all knew it was gonna happen, and we played reasonably well in his absence.

What I saw this year was, his skating game was not the same as it had been. He has this hesitation move where he stops skating for a bit allowing the defender to put himself into a position where Gabby can shift into second gear and blow by the guy. Never saw that, or even the play behind the net where he uses his speed to gain separation from the defender and open up some passing lanes with the puck on his backhand.

Also, what frustrated me the most was Gabby has this awesome deception on his shot where he can move east-west, or shake and bake to get room to get his shot off. He is great at getting the shot through- not so this year- maybe a residual effect of the shoulder.

And finally, the sniping aspect was gone. Sure he has an awesome release, but more often than not the shot went high or right into the goalies chest. He couldn't really pick a corner all year long, which is what snipers do. That's what we're all talking about in terms of him having an off year.

Gabby will be fine, and he will not be dangled in trade talks. But I'm still gonna remember when he took the puck away from Henrik in overtime with no one around, and a fluky bounce give Jason friggin' Chimera a gift wrapped game winner. That one hurt Gabby, and I'm still pissed at you for it.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:12 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
You don't EVER EVER EVER trade when someone's value is low.

Now is not the time to trade him.
that's FANTASY HOCKEY.

FANTASY.

why does everybody use this ridiculous fantasy hockey argument for actual roster moves????

Stats do not equal value in the real world.

The market is dictated by the willingness of GM's to see the possibilities fo adding a player, moving a contract, moving a player at price, etc. A superstar having an off season might have more value in the open market than one having a full blown superstar season, for any number of reasons. More teams might feel they can get involved with offers and drive up the offering price. The team that has said superstar might be more willing to move player within conference or division due to his low productions and therefore increasing the eligible pool of suitors and upping the return.

Any GM can feel that player can instantly jump into their line-up and benefit their surrounding players.

sell high, buy low is for fantasy hockey, and has little bearing on the reality of the NHL

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote