HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

John Tortorella Discussion (Update: Torts extended 3 years)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-24-2011, 10:30 AM
  #876
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
You don't fire a coach who gets the most out of his team. End of story.
Totally agree with this benign statement.

When applying it to Torts' 2+ years as Rangers coach, Im not so sure he has.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 10:32 AM
  #877
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
You mean you don't think this was a cup caliber team?!
I seem to remember a time, when the last coach was fired, where the general consensus was that Torts would be the guy that would "take the team to the next level."

That hasnt happened. And now, the lack of talent excuse becomes a viable one. Hypocrites abound.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 10:47 AM
  #878
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Don't blame Torts for McCabe being placed in his lineup.
Who am I allowed to blame for playing McCabe almost the entire 2 mins of every power play that continued to fail? Sather? John Amirante? Bobby Granger?

TomLaidlaw is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 10:47 AM
  #879
Section 409
FANATIC
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I seem to remember a time, when the last coach was fired, where the general consensus was that Torts would be the guy that would "take the team to the next level."

That hasnt happened. And now, the lack of talent excuse becomes a viable one. Hypocrites abound.
So, because other people over exaggerated what a coach can do, the Rangers should have gone on a deep run as an 8th seed?

Or is it that they should have been a higher seed despite injuries to key players, and a lack of talent?

Section 409 is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 10:53 AM
  #880
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
So, because other people over exaggerated what a coach can do, the Rangers should have gone on a deep run as an 8th seed?

Or is it that they should have been a higher seed despite injuries to key players, and a lack of talent?
Nope, this season, Torts had the team right about where they should've been in my opinion. I wont kill him/them for almost choking away a playoff spot because of the injuries and whatnot (something that was a bit overblown, by the way).

Last season, with an on-fire Gaborik, I thought he did an awful job - his personality, his performance behind the bench....everything was just brutal.

Two seasons ago, his team blew a 3-1 lead in part because he got suspended for game 6 for attacking a fan.

Not the kind of performance that warrants a no brainer extension in my opinion.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 10:54 AM
  #881
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 18,512
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Good move, we have to build on what we set this year.

Those who wanted him fired (had no chance of happening, but..) what exactly would that accomplish?

We took a step forward this year, and its time to build on that. You do that by keeping the coach, improving the team and taking the next step.

Starting over with a new coach/system would do nothing good for us

Fire Sather is online now  
Old
04-24-2011, 10:59 AM
  #882
Section 409
FANATIC
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Nope, this season, Torts had the team right about where they should've been in my opinion. I wont kill him/them for almost choking away a playoff spot because of the injuries and whatnot (something that was a bit overblown, by the way).

Last season, with an on-fire Gaborik, I thought he did an awful job - his personality, his performance behind the bench....everything was just brutal.

Two seasons ago, his team blew a 3-1 lead in part because he got suspended for game 6 for attacking a fan.

Not the kind of performance that warrants a no brainer extension in my opinion.
Last season was just a bad team, I was surprised they made it to the last day of the season.

Two seasons ago, I never felt safe in that series, because even in games the Rangers won the Caps were in the Rangers zone thee entire game. Not so say his stunt in game five wasn't stupid, but I honestly do not think they win that series either way.

Section 409 is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 11:02 AM
  #883
Marc Staal
 
Marc Staal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Good move.

Those who wanted him fired...how about some stability? There comes a point when you have to question the talent on the team and not always the coaches.

Lets see if Sather can put some talent on this team this offseason and then see how Torts does with them. (adding Richards, healthy Gaborik back to form).

Im so sick of hearing people blame the coach when we have a team made of mostly 3rd/4th liners.

Marc Staal is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 11:03 AM
  #884
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,485
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Who am I allowed to blame for playing McCabe almost the entire 2 mins of every power play that continued to fail? Sather? John Amirante? Bobby Granger?
who was he supposed to put out there?

Brian Boyle is online now  
Old
04-24-2011, 11:07 AM
  #885
Marc Staal
 
Marc Staal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
who was he supposed to put out there?
C'mon now...you know we had Pronger sitting on the bench.

Marc Staal is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 11:08 AM
  #886
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
Last season was just a bad team, I was surprised they made it to the last day of the season.

Two seasons ago, I never felt safe in that series, because even in games the Rangers won the Caps were in the Rangers zone thee entire game. Not so say his stunt in game five wasn't stupid, but I honestly do not think they win that series either way.
Theyve all been bad teams since Jagr left. But again, in early 2009, I came on hfboards to countless posts championing safe is death, and opining how Torts would be the guy to take this team to the next level, how he was going to unlock the offensive potential that was being surpressed by the former coaching staff.

And today, I see a lot of those same posters going "Yea, its not Tort's fault, we just dont have the talent." But....Torts was supposed to be the guy that turned chicken**** into chicken salad. Why is this excuse viable now when the team has had just as bad (and probably worse) personnel problems going back to 2008?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 11:08 AM
  #887
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people
 
Brendan Shanahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
I am ecstatic. The right move. He has been fantastic with the kids and works well with what we have already.

Brendan Shanahan is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 11:10 AM
  #888
JeffMangum
Herrrooooiiinnnn
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 54,488
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
who was he supposed to put out there?
Golden God Steven K. Eminger.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 11:12 AM
  #889
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov
 
Jarkko Immonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,103
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Yes! I love this. Torts is our guy, gotta have some stability while the youth grows. Anyone that think this is a win now team is a moron.

Jarkko Immonen is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 11:14 AM
  #890
Section 409
FANATIC
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Theyve all been bad teams since Jagr left. But again, in early 2009, I came on hfboards to countless posts championing safe is death, and opining how Torts would be the guy to take this team to the next level, how he was going to unlock the offensive potential that was being surpressed by the former coaching staff.

And today, I see a lot of those same posters going "Yea, its not Tort's fault, we just dont have the talent." But....Torts was supposed to be the guy that turned chicken**** into chicken salad. Why is this excuse viable now when the team has had just as bad (and probably worse) personnel problems going back to 2008?
And again, I don't care what posters said about Tom Renney in 2008. I was not here, and what was said then is irrelevant to what is happening now. My point is that people pin too much on coaches, he's done fine.

Section 409 is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 11:15 AM
  #891
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,111
vCash: 373
Torts took some big steps this year and was very patient. He didn't act like an ass which was pretty nice but I think he was a little too tame.

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 11:18 AM
  #892
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,632
vCash: 500
Henrik hates Torts. When he said "They(Caps) were a better team than us" he didn't just mean the players on the bench. Not great situation in my eyes, but what do I know?

Dolansatherhead you get it right everytime, how can I doubt this call?

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 11:19 AM
  #893
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
And again, I don't care what posters said about Tom Renney in 2008. I was not here, and what was said then is irrelevant to what is happening now. My point is that people pin too much on coaches, he's done fine.
Fine is safe.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 11:21 AM
  #894
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain
 
Ryan McDonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,626
vCash: 500
basically how i feel is that i don't want him fired but i wouldn't care if he was

Ryan McDonut is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 11:21 AM
  #895
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
who was he supposed to put out there?
Anyone else.

I don't care if the GM trades for a guy and tells you he is going to help your power play. As a coach you have to realize when something isn't working. You have to try anything else. When your powerplay is 1 for 30 it is time to try something else.

McCabe is a traffic cone with a big shot who is an abomination at even strength. He no longer has the mobility to create his own shot and open up shooting lanes. Which is why 8 out his 10 shots from the point went into the opposing teams shin pads and out of the zone. The only thing McCabe can do is shoot a one timer off a perfect pass from a PP QB who has mobility. The Rangers don't have that. So McCabe became useless for us.

The fact that our brain trust decided he should be the one carrying the puck up the ice for us on the PP was equal parts hilarious and sad.

TomLaidlaw is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 11:25 AM
  #896
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,847
vCash: 500
I'm not a big Torts fan. I hated Renney for his boring style and personality, as much as I hate Torts for just being a ******.

Neither of them were good tacticians. Renney was obsessed with the 4th line and was horrible at matching lines. Torts rides his horses to death and thinks swapping out 4th liners will have an impact on the game.

I think keeping Torts is a big step in luring Brad Richards here, possibly with less money being offered than other teams. If that's the case, i can deal with him for another half season.

GWOW is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 11:27 AM
  #897
BrianNYR
Registered User
 
BrianNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
Anyone know what he gets paid?

BrianNYR is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 11:28 AM
  #898
BringBackLibertys
Registered User
 
BringBackLibertys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Middlesex, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
Who cares, doesn't come out of our pocket or go against the cap...

BringBackLibertys is offline  
Old
04-24-2011, 11:29 AM
  #899
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 22,747
vCash: 500
Well that increases the chances of signing Brad Richards

boredmale is online now  
Old
04-24-2011, 11:29 AM
  #900
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,612
vCash: 50
Sounds good. I like Torts and I feel he will be an important cog if this teams future success.

Bob Richards is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.