HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

POTG & GBR: ECQF Game 5 @ Washington Capitals

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: ECQF Game 5 @ Washington Capitals
Sean Avery 13 15.48%
Brandon Dubinsky 1 1.19%
Matt Gilroy 2 2.38%
Dan Girardi 7 8.33%
Henrik Lundqvist 47 55.95%
Ryan McDonagh 1 1.19%
Brandon Prust 1 1.19%
Michael Sauer 1 1.19%
Marc Staal 2 2.38%
Wojtek Wolski 1 1.19%
Other 8 9.52%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Hey, much respect to the Rangers team. If you throw in Callahan, Richards, and maybe another young scoring forward or so, and I think you've really got something.

Henrik really is better than all the hype, and he's a joy to watch.

I'm certain we'll see your young nucleus keep building and only continue to improve.
And to you. Your lineup has fire, but is in a much more controlled state than before. Looks like a much more playoff-friendly club.

I can't say I'm rooting for you, Buffalo is my next pick in the east, but if you won it would be well deserved.

04-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

As for the NYR board in general... it was an entertaining season.

I thought we had a pretty good team here, but we weren't able to dominate with our specialty; the cycle, like I thought we could.

Couple things going forward...

1. The power play needs to improve. Either Richards or Markov could improve that. Maybe even Christian Thomas if we are lucky.

2. We need to have a more consistent top line. Dubi-AA-Cally and Feds-Boyle-Prust would be better when they are not counted on to be our top lines.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Our core players were never the problem this year. That is one of the best aspects here. Just about everyone took a step forward, and two rookie dmen (including Sauer who I touted) were better than anyone ever expected or imagined.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
LA doesn't deserve to be there, but other than that, it's pretty clear that several top-5 draft picks can certainly help towards building a team, although Atlanta, Columbus, and Florida say hi.
this is very accurate post.
nyr have plenty of heart and enviable goaltending, but who knows why a 3 - 0 lead is blown when it wasn't all year. coaching maybe???

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:28 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
no excuses. Everyone knows Hank is good, but he isn't great! he doesn't come up big in big games! He melts. All i'm saying is that Miller stole two games for his team, and that's what a great goalie does.

we needed Henrik to stand on his head this series to win. Miller has for his team, who are very similar to the NYR.
Henrik could stand on his head all he wants but when the offense scores 0 goals...

Should he have anticipated a cleared puck bouncing off of Chimera right onto the goal line? How about a puck deflected off of Johansson's shaft right into the net? The 2v1 today where he had no chance?

He needs help. No goalie can win a game alone when the team was basically shutout for 2 games, only scores one goal in another game and has a massive meltdown for the other game - speaking of which he kept them in for 2 OT periods until a huge fluke play ended the game.

By the way, Buffalo scored 12 goals. We scored 8... Big difference. And we have absolutely no PP. That's a huge problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
At the end of the day, the Caps have Oven Chicken. If they didn't they'd be an average team or worse. So, yes those high picks do pay off.
Without Ovi they would still be a very good team.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:40 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Exactly. As much as people want to get on Arty, or Dubi, or whoever for this season nobody with a brain should be able to deny that they've all grown and have taken big steps in their development.

A top line on this team and we're set.
The point made is not that we were angry and want them traded its more due to the lack of compete level between those two guys who essentially are the guys we relied on during the season for chances and they didnt show up in the playoffs. Sure growing is great but winning is better. Hopefully next year we can see them played under a true first line and have that pack line healthy, they could be very effective.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:46 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
POTG: Cannot see how it can go to anyone except Henrik.
Man, he must feel down. He's not a guy who takes this easily.
Now Henrik is a guy you pay money too, even with goaltending becoming closer he has that superstar ability and mentality and loves to bring it this time of the year and prove himself and his team. Those are guys you want on your team. I still think Stall must have been injured as wasent the same after he returned. Hopefully he can het back to his top D man Status next season to add to our superstar player, Henrik.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:57 PM
lbrowne

I expected alot more of Drury this series. I barely noticed him.

It pains me to say it really does, actually kills me to type this but the ship has finally sailed on Chris Drury as captain of the New York Rangers.

I was really cheering for him, I was.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:03 AM
KenGuru

I dont understand why you guys love Brian Boyle. 0 goals and 0 assists in the playoffs. The man is just a huge teddybear on skates. I dont care how many blocks he has. Forwards are suppose to make goals. Its incredible that Torts give him so much ice-time.
And Stepan have also been totally invisible the hole playoffs.

KenGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 05:19 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

I ask, cause you know...

Would it have made any differense if EC was sent down and mza played in the final 3 games instead ?

EC was along with Gaborik "just there" collecting ice time, I know that mza played badly the last game but he's the rookie trying to learn.

Stepan was as invinsible as the rest of them, but he skates by without us questioning or bad mouthing him like some here did to mza...

I think both Steapan and mza will have a better year next year...

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:51 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post
Stepan was as invinsible as the rest of them, but he skates by without us questioning or bad mouthing him like some here did to mza...
I think both Steapan and mza will have a better year next year...
Not sure what it is with Stepan but he it seems he has to work on his skating. He always looks like he is back on his heels and very light on his skates. Not strong at all.

He had 3 years to develop since he was drafted. However, it is obvious Stepan has skill and the smarts to play in this league for a long time. Just keep getting stronger and improve that skating which can be improved (ask Boyle)

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:12 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provolone View Post
People ragging on hank.

This was the only series where neither goalie imploded. Do you people even watch other teams games? And we all know why Neuvirth didn't blow up, he had boyle backhands coming at him at a blistering 26mph.

These stats: GAA 2.08 Save% .922 (not including todays game), Win playoff series on any other team.

Sorry, but he was great this series.
Well, if you look at the stats of all regular 2011 playoff goalies, Henrik's GAA (7th) and SVPCT (10th) are very pedestrian.

I'll say this -- whether it's coaching or the defense or the backchecking, Henrik has only won 2 playoff series in 7 tries.

You cant say he "stole" Atlanta. The Rangers were the better team from the top down.

And you cant say he "stole" New Jersey, although he did make some big saves throughout the series. Both teams were evenly matched and at no point were the Devils dominating to the point where you thought Lundqvist had to steal the show. The Madden penalty shot was in a Game 5 with his team in the lead.

In this series, I have mixed feeling about Lundqvist. He had a 3rd period lead in the very crucial Game 1 and the even more crucial Game 4. Usually, the money goalies make those stand up.

Meh. Whatever. The team played OK under the circumstances. I really cant blame Henrik or applaud him. Just another April in Rangerland.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:12 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

See my avatar? There's part of the issue for sure. Gabby was disengaged, floating, and useless.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Well, if you look at the stats of all regular 2011 playoff goalies, Henrik's GAA (7th) and SVPCT (10th) are very pedestrian.

I'll say this -- whether it's coaching or the defense or the backchecking, Henrik has only won 2 playoff series in 7 tries.

You cant say he "stole" Atlanta. The Rangers were the better team from the top down.

And you cant say he "stole" New Jersey, although he did make some big saves throughout the series. Both teams were evenly matched and at no point were the Devils dominating to the point where you thought Lundqvist had to steal the show. The Madden penalty shot was in a Game 5 with his team in the lead.

In this series, I have mixed feeling about Lundqvist. He had a 3rd period lead in the very crucial Game 1 and the even more crucial Game 4. Usually, the money goalies make those stand up.

Meh. Whatever. The team played OK under the circumstances. I really cant blame Henrik or applaud him. Just another April in Rangerland.
People gave me **** for saying Lundqvist doesn't have a Richter-like godmode yet for big games.

I still think he doesn't. He may be the better overall goalie, but I just don't see him closing the door when he needs to.

People always say "nothing the goalie can do about that one," "It's not his fault!" but in reality in a big game sometimes you have to stop those.

Case in point, Thomas last night during double OT, he stops a 2 on 1 and the Bruins end up winning it. If that had gone in, no one would have faulted Thomas. There would have been "nothing he could do about that, it was 2 on 1" but guess what, he did do something about it.

Maybe Henrik did not get the benefit of a quick whistle in game 1, but if he had control of the puck and it wasn't just sitting under him like an egg, Ovechkin doesn't poke it home.

I am happy with Henrik overall, and he is a phenomenal goaltender, but I want to see god mode when it matters. Not during a regular season goaltending duel with Fatso.

Edit: Maybe I am asking too much, and the Rangers offense should just not suck, but I think one of the best goaltenders in the world has it in him.

Disintegrated MCL
rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:41 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Wolf View Post
See my avatar? There's part of the issue for sure. Gabby was disengaged, floating, and useless.
Hahaha, nice.

Old
04-24-2011, 09:24 AM
NYRKindms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
People gave me **** for saying Lundqvist doesn't have a Richter-like godmode yet for big games.

I still think he doesn't. He may be the better overall goalie, but I just don't see him closing the door when he needs to.

People always say "nothing the goalie can do about that one," "It's not his fault!" but in reality in a big game sometimes you have to stop those.

Case in point, Thomas last night during double OT, he stops a 2 on 1 and the Bruins end up winning it. If that had gone in, no one would have faulted Thomas. There would have been "nothing he could do about that, it was 2 on 1" but guess what, he did do something about it.

Maybe Henrik did not get the benefit of a quick whistle in game 1, but if he had control of the puck and it wasn't just sitting under him like an egg, Ovechkin doesn't poke it home.

I am happy with Henrik overall, and he is a phenomenal goaltender, but I want to see god mode when it matters. Not during a regular season goaltending duel with Fatso.

Edit: Maybe I am asking too much, and the Rangers offense should just not suck, but I think one of the best goaltenders in the world has it in him.
Hank made an almost identical save on Ovie on the breakaway in the 2nd OT in game 4 right before they lost.

He was in god mode for most of the games running up to the playoffs. He doesn't have a team who can bail him out ever.

A real crease clearing defenseman = no goal in game 1

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
Hank made an almost identical save on Ovie on the breakaway in the 2nd OT in game 4 right before they lost.

He was in god mode for most of the games running up to the playoffs. He doesn't have a team who can bail him out ever.

A real crease clearing defenseman = no goal in game 1
If he stops one of the three prior to the OT they would not have even been there.

Old
04-24-2011, 10:06 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:

Watch any of the games?

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:17 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:

You mean the Richter godmode in 1992 when he blew a 3 goal lead including one from Center Ice that started the Pens comeback? The Rangers shold have won the cup that season.

Please the comparisons to Richter need to stop, the teams in front of him had a ton more talent than the teams Henrik has had.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:

What goalie doesn't stop that? It was shot back into him towards the middle of the crease...

Compare it to the 2 on 1 goal Hank gave up to Semin. Semin shot it top shelf to the opposite side of the net that the pass came from. Thomas wouldn't have stopped that.

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:42 AM
msv957

Quote:

Hank was good this playoff series but not great. However, I do believe Hank has it in him to at least lead a team deep in the playoffs and then perhaps win a Stanley Cup.

It just seems with all the excuses being thrown around these boards than Hank needs to be in the "perfect" situation such as the team needs a #1 center, or the refs screwed us, or fluky goals and etc. Hank is the highest paid goalie in the NHL and he did not raise the level of his game in the playoffs.

There are a lot of really good goalies in the NHL and Hank is definately one of them. Debates about regular season Vezina nominations are worthless as there is a more important issue here is that Hank needs to get hot at the right time in the playoffs and carry a team deep in the playoffs.

There is no denying that Hank is the foundation of this team and has been a real good player for a while now. All GM's would gladly have Hank as their #1 goalie. It is time he takes his game to another level.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line Monster View Post
What goalie doesn't stop that? It was shot back into him towards the middle of the crease...

Compare it to the 2 on 1 goal Hank gave up to Semin. Semin shot it top shelf to the opposite side of the net that the pass came from. Thomas wouldn't have stopped that.
no one would have stopped that ****

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Anderson

not even worth it.

Last edited by Anderson: 04-24-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:54 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Watch any of the games?
All of them. The point some of us are trying to make is that the Rangers werent dominated in this series. The play was pretty even. Lundqvist wasnt a man on an Island, sans for the 1st period of Games 1 and 5 and the OT in Game 4.

It chaps my ass when people say that whole "Poor Henrik" garbage. If Henrik is going to be considered a leader and focal point of the team, then he needs to take on some blame when they lose.

They didnt lose this series because of Henrik, but he wasnt as big a factor as he was when this team was clawing for a playoff birth.

Old
04-24-2011, 12:07 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
You mean the Richter godmode in 1992 when he blew a 3 goal lead including one from Center Ice that started the Pens comeback? The Rangers shold have won the cup that season.

Please the comparisons to Richter need to stop, the teams in front of him had a ton more talent than the teams Henrik has had.

In Games his team's been faced with elimination, he's 1-5. Richter has a better reputation and track record, even without 1994