HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Updated-Drury won't retire. Will soak the Rangers for buyout $

Old
04-24-2011, 09:33 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
It's that he can't rebound and be useful, but he's unlikely to ever live up to his cap hit at this point.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
It's that he can't rebound and be useful, but he's unlikely to ever live up to his cap hit at this point.
He is falling apart man, and he is done. He can not accept that, along with most guys who's skill level drops at an earlier age.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:41 AM
McDonaghisGod
Speed kills

Drury is finished. All he is doing is wasting cap space at this point.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Janerixon

To get Richards they need to either buyout Drury or buyout Wolski and probably trade one of Anisimov or Boyle. This is a no brainer to me, get rid of an overpaid 4th liner who scored 1 goal all season or buyout a kid with a ton of potential who needs some work and trade one of our promising young centers? Drury will be bought out, that opens up 3 million plus in cap space and with Frolov coming off the books and the increase in the cap Richards needs to be brought in to get us an elite 1st line center and someone who can run the PP. If Sather buys out Drury and only brings in Richards this off-season will be a success IMO. Get it done!

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:59 AM
NYRJE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Frankly, the fact that Torts was playing guys like Christensen and Wolski over playoff performer-veteran-clutch player Chris Drury speaks volumes of what Torts thinks of Drury. In our most dire times, Torts elected to go with 2 of our most inconsistent players over one that's been in high pressure situations many times in his career and shown that he's able to handle the pressure. Either that or Torts is just an idiot.

NYRJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:08 AM
OverTheCap

I don't think he'll retire and more likely than not he'll have to be bought out. Even with a bum knee, he was winning faceoffs and killing penalties. He can still play as a 4th line center in this league and I'm sure some teams would be interested. I think his desire to play and compete in this league outweighs any concern about "doing the right thing" to alleviate the Rangers' cap situation.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I don't think he'll retire and more likely than not he'll have to be bought out. Even with a bum knee, he was winning faceoffs and killing penalties. He can still play as a 4th line center in this league and I'm sure some teams would be interested. I think his desire to play and compete in this league outweighs any concern about "doing the right thing" to alleviate the Rangers' cap situation.
I agree, he was the only player on the team that could actually win a draw against the Caps. I just don't think he has much left in him.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:19 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Naslund did it.

No offense to Dru, who i like, but he's done.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Right, cause the chump change he's made in the last 13+ years of his playing career just barely was enough to feed his dog.

Spare me the bleeding heart BS.

He's got more money than he will ever need.
Thanks for saying it. That reminded me of when Owens held out on the Eagles and said something along the lines of, "I need to feed my family".

Section 409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:31 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Right, cause the chump change he's made in the last 13+ years of his playing career just barely was enough to feed his dog.

Its funny that you said that because back during the lock out, there was a interview with Mike Modano and he was complaining how 15K a month couldn't even support his dog. lol.

Back on topic. I like Drury but his contract isn't helping us go forward. With that said, if he chooses not to retire, do you 1. wait the last year out or 2. buy his contract out and have a extra cap hit for the next 2 years.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
I think drury will wait a little while, just as naslund did, and then see how he is doing, maybe rest for a couple weeks and then start pushing himself and see how he is. If he feeling like he cant do much anymore he will retire...i would expect something saying he is retiring or something by the end of june

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Chalfdiggity3

My honest opinion is that everyone knows that he cant compete in the NHL anymore. He can win faceoffs but thats about it. I think he knows he cant play anymore and will try to rehab in the offseason but will discover his body is just to rundown. He will retire and the rangers will gain the 7m in capspace.

Also i do believe that with all the statements during this season of Redden wanting to play back in the NHL or over in Europe, he will be gone too. He has repeatedly stated he is NOT interested in playing in the AHL and that you are not defined by the amount of money you make but by what level of competition you are playing at. I do believe we will lose him too in the offseason.

Something tells me this offseason we will gain back around 13million in capspace, along with being able to rid ourselves of unnecessary players.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:50 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Jason Smith retired September 2009 with one year remaining on his contract. Gave up $2.6M in salary. Smith hurt his knee the previous season and did not feel he could contribute anymore.

Drury can still win face-offs . Too bad the NHL doesn't have a role similar to a DH so Drury wouldn't have to skate,pass and shoot. A designated face-off man.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 04-24-2011 at 10:58 AM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMMV View Post
Its funny that you said that because back during the lock out, there was a interview with Mike Modano and he was complaining how 15K a month couldn't even support his dog. lol.

Back on topic. I like Drury but his contract isn't helping us go forward. With that said, if he chooses not to retire, do you 1. wait the last year out or 2. buy his contract out and have a extra cap hit for the next 2 years.
Imagine some of these guys lived in the real world?

Old
04-24-2011, 10:58 AM
savebyrichter35

Not that I'm necessarily advocating this, but do you think if Drury has the desire to finish his stint in NY and play one more year here, he'd be willing to restructure his contract so that he makes significantly less next year, allowing us to spend more?

savebyrichter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:59 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post
Not that I'm necessarily advocating this, but do you think if Drury has the desire to finish his stint in NY and play one more year here, he'd be willing to restructure his contract so that he makes significantly less next year, allowing us to spend more?
Contracts cannot be restructured.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:00 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post
CBA prohibits renegotiating contracts.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I loved Drury as a player and a leader, but as others have said, hes cooked at this point in his career. Just too much tread on those tires. And I hate to bring this up now, but its a fate that is waiting for the beloved Ryan Callahan in the next 8-10 years.

But anyway, I think its sickening that the fanbase is going to villify Drury is he refuses to retire and is forced to be bought out. Its a signed agreement, and not about "doing the right thing." It would make a hell of a lot more sense to turn your venom towards the idiot that gave him the deal.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
Thanks for saying it. That reminded me of when Owens held out on the Eagles and said something along the lines of, "I need to feed my family".
That was Latrell Sprewell with the Knicks

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ThisYearsModel

Who on this board would walk away from $5MM? I rest my case.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

If Rangerboy stops posting on HF I'll retire - Chris Drury

Ya see RB, its not that easy

And you guys saying "he has plenty of money", do YOU live in the real world or what?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
That was Latrell Sprewell with the Knicks
It was also Owens.

Old
04-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Nothing wrong with a player playing out his contract. He is only making the amount of money he was promised. No more, no less. That's what contracts are for. I am pretty sure that everybody would be really pissed if Stepan came out and said that he made too little so he needs more to play next year. It works the same way in reverse. A contract is a contract even if the player is making less than he's worth. Petitioning a player to retire after he has been given the contract is a bit silly and quite a bit selfish.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:25 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Nothing wrong with a player playing out his contract. He is only making the amount of money he was promised. No more, no less. That's what contracts are for. I am pretty sure that everybody would be really pissed if Stepan came out and said that he made too little so he needs more to play next year. It works the same way in reverse. A contract is a contract even if the player is making less than he's worth. Petitioning a player to retire after he has been given the contract is a bit silly and quite a bit selfish.
Valid points.

Petition to Glen Sather. Please BUY OUT Chris Drury.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Valid points.

Petition to Glen Sather. Please BUY OUT Chris Drury.
That would be your correct answer, in my opinion. If the organization feels that Drury has nothing left to contribute, then pay their way out of his contract and call it a day. Drury didn't make the mistake of signing himself to a fairly lucrative contract for his skill set and his decline, if not hastened, was somewhat predictable. You don't force a guy to make this decision, you make it for him. Especially when in negotiations, this year on the contract being there probably helped seal the deal for him being signed. Fair is fair. Cut him a check, shake his hand, and move forward.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote