HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kyle Clifford

Old
04-24-2011, 12:15 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

vCash: 500
No love for Simmonds???

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:39 PM
itstheo54

Clifford now has more goals than Kopitar had in the Playoffs last year and has played 1 game less.

itstheo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:55 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=815820

Some good stuff in this thread started about Clifford prior to training camp.

18 fights this season. A few more than I thought he'd get into this season. Pretty impressive number for a rookie.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:05 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
He's the closest player I've seen that is as tough and as good of a player as Rick Tocchet was.
Maybe not the same scoring touch, but he is nails tough and no one on the sharks wants a piece of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
"I will eat your children"

Ruff Ruff
The cute kid with the sharks jersey and white hockey helmet sitting in front of us at the aquarium last night said that that the guy wearing the number 13 jersey scared him! Something about the look in his eyes. I didnt have the heart to tell the kid that he would also eat his house pets and break all his toys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKings4ever View Post
Who would have ever thought Clifford would be leading the team in goals through 6 games in the playoffs, this guy is coming up big - we need him and Richardson to keep it going if we are going to get through in 7.
If TM doesnt see just how important giving ice time is to guys who produce well then, I just dont know what to say. Clifford is a beast. Now if Simmonds can remember how he played last year, watch out.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:32 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
He's the closest player I've seen that is as tough and as good of a player as Rick Tocchet was.
A little too early to compare him to Tocchet, but I like it.

I feared and loved Tocchet as a flyer and absolutely did backflips when the kings acquired him. I believe Granato said that Tocchet was the "best teammate ever".

I could do without the eye gouging though.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Johnny Utah

Tocchet might be too far fetched. He scored 40 goals in juniors and within 3 NHL seasons cracked the 20 goal mark.

Tocchet also barely lost fights and could hold his own with Probert, Clark, etc. He was never TKO'd or KO'd.

One website has his all time fight record at 101-17-58. 101 wins and 17 losses. Rick Tocchet was one of the all time toughest.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:11 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

I see the line of Clifford Richardson simmonds as the kings version of mccarty draper maltby for years to come.

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:12 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

If the Kings are going to win this series, it'll be because of the Clifford-Richardson-Simmonds line. The Sharks have had no answer for it all series long. You need a successful 3rd line to do damage in the playoffs, and the Kings have that in spades.

(Quick continuing to channel Patrick Roy will be a key component as well, but that's for another thread. )

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Nose of Sutter

I hope we can re-sign Richardson and keep this line together, it's maybe the best line through this series and for sure the best on the Kings

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:13 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... It's unbelievable what I've seen in this series, not only from Clifford - who, at 20, looks to have the World by the tail - but from Richardson. I think I'm probably more stunned at what Richardson is doing, honestly. Here is a guy that was healthy-scratched time and time again during the season, becoming almost an afterthought in Murray's mind, and he's turned himself into an invaluable center of the best line on the team.

As for who Clifford reminds me of, or what he projects out to be ... I really can't say, because I honestly don't know what to make of a player based on a 10 to 11 game stretch, especially when it's been so different from the 70 games that preceded it.

Clifford's first 70 games: 5 goals, 11 points, -11, 61 shots, 8.1 shooting %
Clifford's last 11 games: 5 goals, 8 points, +2, 16 shots, 31.3 shooting %

I'm almost 100% sure that the Clifford-Richardson-Simmonds line will remain intact at the beginning of next season; only injury or retardation would prevent that from happening. And, no matter what happens in this series, the real test of this line will be how they're able to sustain their production and energy over the course of a long season. I hope we're not looking at something that turns out to be a fluke, and another one of those charming little footnotes of Kings history where ten years from now we're asking each other "Remember how hot that line was? How did THAT happen? Funny, huh?"

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 05:59 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Tocchet might be too far fetched. He scored 40 goals in juniors and within 3 NHL seasons cracked the 20 goal mark.

Tocchet also barely lost fights and could hold his own with Probert, Clark, etc. He was never TKO'd or KO'd.

One website has his all time fight record at 101-17-58. 101 wins and 17 losses. Rick Tocchet was one of the all time toughest.
I think I'm the only person who has a Kings Tocchet jersey, loved him. Not sure if Clifford will come close to those numbers, probably not given the era of hockey is much different but I can see KC developing into an up and coming power forward. I haven't seen a name thrown out where I agree that is the guy Clifford plays like, probably too early. Just wait til he puts on his man weight.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
I'm wondering if Kyle can become a Tkachuk-type player.
Not the softest pair of hands, but effective around the net and tough.

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:21 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

If I remember correctly, Tocchet was only 6'2 and about 195lbs to 200 lbs. The guy wasn't that big by today's standards.

Last edited by The Black1963: 04-24-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old
04-24-2011, 09:28 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

His line and Quick are why we're still in this series right now.

DocWest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
DL and company has done an amazing job amassing this talent. It makes you think that there is something to this big and gritty approach they take to developing the base of the team.

The one thing I fear is Clifford's fighting style though. He openly admits and obviously shows that he doesn't defend himself, he leaves himself open to counter punches, and then he goes out and fights heavy weights using that same style... I love Clifford and the fact that he fights, but its an unnecessary risk, and I hope his hockey future isn't affected by it at any point.
Clifford is the man, but I agree that he needs to fight a lot less. He is now very important to the team and its' success. If he wants a long career, he needs to fight less and skate away more often.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Johnny Utah

For Clifford to fight less, Westgarth has to play more. Just like Chris Neil, who's fighting tailed off toward the end of this year because of Francis Lessard and earlier last year with a healthy Matt Carkner.

Old
04-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
For Clifford to fight less, Westgarth has to play more. Just like Chris Neil, who's fighting tailed off toward the end of this year because of Francis Lessard and earlier last year with a healthy Matt Carkner.
If Westgarth plays like he has since the all star break next season , he can play 82 games for LA.

He has been a solid 4th liner. Hasn't been a liability on the ice.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:58 AM
markisonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
If Westgarth plays like he has since the all star break next season , he can play 82 games for LA.

He has been a solid 4th liner. Hasn't been a liability on the ice.
I agree. I find myself enamored sometimes with the thought of rolling out four scoring lines, but Westgarth has proven himself the past 20 games or so. If he can keep up this level of play, he deserves to be on the fourth line.

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Clifford-Richardson-Simmonds
Smyth-Stoll-Brown
Parse-Lewis-Westgarth

Not a bad lineup. Sure do wish the Kings still had Kopi.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
I agree. I find myself enamored sometimes with the thought of rolling out four scoring lines, but Westgarth has proven himself the past 20 games or so. If he can keep up this level of play, he deserves to be on the fourth line.

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Clifford-Richardson-Simmonds
Smyth-Stoll-Brown
Parse-Lewis-Westgarth

Not a bad lineup. Sure do wish the Kings still had Kopi.
This might yet be the line up next year. Loki and Schenn might spend the year in the AHL.

I would think the Kings add a player as a spare #13 forward. No one on Manchester can really fill that role. Do they add like a J. Ruutu, Nichol, Drew Miller, C. Adams as a spare part? Or let Dwight King occasionally rotate with whoever...

Old
04-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
I was making the same comparison last game. Reminds me of Tocchet in a lot of ways. One of my most favortie players growing up.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:55 PM
fyrescorp

Just to add another player comparison to the mix, how does Clifford compare to an early Adam Deadmarsh?

fyrescorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 05:27 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrescorp View Post
Just to add another player comparison to the mix, how does Clifford compare to an early Adam Deadmarsh?
... If Clifford pots 20-25 goals next season, we can talk about that one a little. Until then, the comparisons to Tocchet and Deadmarsh are WAY out of line.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... It's unbelievable what I've seen in this series, not only from Clifford - who, at 20, looks to have the World by the tail - but from Richardson. I think I'm probably more stunned at what Richardson is doing, honestly. Here is a guy that was healthy-scratched time and time again during the season, becoming almost an afterthought in Murray's mind, and he's turned himself into an invaluable center of the best line on the team.
yeah, i agree. richardson has been amazing, and not just in the playoffs. it's like he never missed a beat this year when he was scratched. so so so much hustle and drive. his ability to force turnovers is awesome, and has been the catalyst for a lot of great scoring chances in this series, not to mention the ones that have directly resulted in goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
I'm almost 100% sure that the Clifford-Richardson-Simmonds line will remain intact at the beginning of next season; only injury or retardation would prevent that from happening. And, no matter what happens in this series, the real test of this line will be how they're able to sustain their production and energy over the course of a long season. I hope we're not looking at something that turns out to be a fluke, and another one of those charming little footnotes of Kings history where ten years from now we're asking each other "Remember how hot that line was? How did THAT happen? Funny, huh?"
agree wholeheartedly. my thinking about third lines in general seems to be changed as a result of these guys. i mean, clifford and simmonds can hit like freight trains, and i'll be damned if richie isn't at least trying to do the same, but it's really the speed and the tenacity, and especially the forecheck, that has come to define this third line for me. it's amazing, and i really want it to be kept together too. but you're absolutely right about the fluke thing, too. although i wouldn't be too terribly pissed if their production dropped off (seeing as they're leading the scoring, and it shouldn't have to be that way), it definitely would suck if they stopped hustling as much, forechecking as effectively, or clicking as much as they have been. if that goes away along with the production, then we have a problem, i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
His line and Quick are why we're still in this series right now.
this, times a million. love these guys.

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:20 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

To me, 20 goals isn't so far fetched, even under TM's system.

Clifford is finally playing with some players that have some skills and more importantly, speed in Richie.

Old
04-25-2011, 08:14 PM
itstheo54

if this line stays together next year, where will Stoll be? 4th line... If we expect schenn for be 2nd line i wonder how this line works with stoll instead of richardson? could be better, they would win a ton! of faceoffs and their speed would still be pretty fast.

itstheo54 is offline   Reply With Quote