HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Updated-Drury won't retire. Will soak the Rangers for buyout $

Old
04-24-2011, 11:38 AM
UAGoalieGuy

vCash: 500
I would be the happiest man in the world if Drury retired and Redden walked away from his contract this summer.

Highly doubt both will happen, though.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
If Rangerboy stops posting on HF I'll retire - Chris Drury

Ya see RB, its not that easy

And you guys saying "he has plenty of money", do YOU live in the real world or what?
I would easily stop posting on this board if it meant Chris Drury would retire.

Four options.
1a) Let him play out his final year on the 4th line, meaning we're screwed another year from becoming competitive.
1b) Do the Nylander treatment the Caps did, strip Drury of his captaincy and put him in the stands until he agrees to waive his NTC, or for the rest of his contract. If he agrees to waive it, put him in Hartford, since he is impossible to trade.
2) Buyout. It's a possibility, since the cap hit wouldn't be that large and the money would be there to sign Richards. Not that I think I would be happy with signing Richards, he doesn't look the same since his injury (just like Gaborik).
3) Drury retires. Everybody cheers and this team has a fighting chance to become competitive.

I recommend all options except 1a. At this point, he's a waste of money and roster space. Then I would rather pay him his millions to sit in the stands and eat popcorn.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Go ahead Dru.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I would easily stop posting on this board if it meant Chris Drury would retire.

Four options.
1a) Let him play out his final year on the 4th line, meaning we're screwed another year from becoming competitive.
1b) Do the Nylander treatment the Caps did, strip Drury of his captaincy and put him in the stands until he agrees to waive his NTC, or for the entire year. Then put him in Hartford, since he is impossible to trade.
2) Buyout. It's a possibility, since the cap hit wouldn't be that large and the money would be there to sign Richards. Not that I think I would be happy with signing Richards, he doesn't look the same since his injury (just like Gaborik).
3) Drury retires.

I recommend all options except 1a. At this point, he's a waste of money and roster space. Then I would rather pay him his millions to sit in the stands and eat popcorn.
Good Post.

The problem(s) may be that he won't waive his NTC and he still thinks that he has gas in the tank.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghenrik213 View Post
Good Post.

The problem(s) may be that he won't waive his NTC and he still thinks that he has gas in the tank.
Then 1b until he gives up or his contract expires. I'm not so sure Drury would be fine with just sitting watching hockey for an entire year. If you make that very clear to Drury even in the post season, it would be very demoralizing for him. "You won't play another game for this team under your current contract and that's final. These are your options. Your move, ex-captain."

If he really thinks he has gas left in his tank, sitting in the stands would probably kill his NHL career anyway. What sane GM would sign Drury in 2013, if he has been eating popcorn for a year, where his coach wouldn't even want to dress him on the 4th line? Perhaps he can earn a cheap contract on some bottom dweller.

Would that make Drury impossible to re-sign? Definitely, he would never want to play here again. But I don't think anyone frigging cares, he's a total non-factor for any team that wants to be competitive. He could be replaced by any 4th liner.

Last edited by Chimp: 04-24-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:52 AM
3Four3

You mean to tell me he's NOT signed until 2020?

What the hell are you waiting for, Sather?!

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:52 AM
eco's bones

From Drury's angle--if he wants to continue playing somewhere else then there is no point in retiring--it pretty much would come down to being bought out. The retirement option is just better for the Rangers so I would hope it would come to that. As an example Prospal is here after being bought out by Tampa two years ago.

There's no point in vilifying Drury for choosing what he thinks is best for himself--however I find it hard to believe that any team is going to sign him for any significant amount of money based on his last couple seasons here, his injury history and his age. One can look at Prospal again or even Fedetenko--two players who bring a lot more to the table--and got about a $1 mil when they initially signed with us. So the next question is would it be worth it for Drury to beat the bushes--uproot himself from the area for another NHL team--to go to a camp not knowing like Fedetenko did?--and whereever that might be. I don't see doing that as an easy choice on his part even if it means he cashes in on a buyout.

What was Modano's dog eating?

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:56 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

You no doubt buy him out. It's a cheaper hit this season, more expensive next year. With the cap seeming to be increasing every year, it'll only benefit the team next year and the year after. Drury gets his 5 Million and the team gets someone who can contribute more then him. It's a win-win in my book.

If he is bought out for the 5 million he has left, would people be opposed to bring Drury back onto the team for the veteran minimum? He's be getting paid like a 4th liner being on the 4th line. You could still use his high faceoff percentage at not nearly the same cost. I'd like him to be a player like that. You could also then also turn him into a 13th forward if he really starts to deteriorate.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:00 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post

If he is bought out for the 5 million he has left, would people be opposed to bring Drury back onto the team for the veteran minimum? He's be getting paid like a 4th liner being on the 4th line. You could still use his high faceoff percentage at not nearly the same cost. I'd like him to be a player like that. You could also then also turn him into a 13th forward if he really starts to deteriorate.
If we buy him out we're not allowed to re-sign him again under the CBA.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:29 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Who on this board would walk away from $5MM? I rest my case.
I'm willing to bet no one on the board has made 30 million over the last 4 years. And that's not counting all the money he made before coming to the Rangers.

You can't compare professional athletes to regular people. Naslund walked away from 3 million. Redden has 16.5 mil left on his contract and is on record as considering walking away from it so he can play in the NHL again.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:50 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Nothing wrong with a player playing out his contract. He is only making the amount of money he was promised. No more, no less. That's what contracts are for. I am pretty sure that everybody would be really pissed if Stepan came out and said that he made too little so he needs more to play next year. It works the same way in reverse. A contract is a contract even if the player is making less than he's worth. Petitioning a player to retire after he has been given the contract is a bit silly and quite a bit selfish.
Totally correct. But at the same time there is nothing wrong with a player acknowledging that he is no longer able to play at a level needed to compete in this league, and gracefully exiting stage left. While nobody was forced to give him the contract he got, the reality is he was compensated quite well for a very modest performance these past several years. To continue to collect a paycheck that is most assuredly undeserved going forward would be disrespectful to his teammates and the organization that treated him so well. Chris has always struck me as a classy individual, and I have to believe he will seriously consider retirement. If he doesn't he gets bought out and life goes on.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Sarava

I wonder if the Rangers would move him to the Hawks in exchange for Campbell? The benefits for both sides are obvious and I suspect the NYR might be on his list of 8 teams he will go to.

The Rangers can't score goals to save their lives and nothing ignites scoring better than a high end puck moving defensemen. The Hawks benefit is freeing up cap space to pursue forward depth, because they would either bury him in the minors (assuming he doesnt have a NMC) or buy him out. Campbell is redundant on the Hawks because of Duncan Keith.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:14 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I wonder if the Rangers would move him to the Hawks in exchange for Campbell? The benefits for both sides are obvious and I suspect the NYR might be on his list of 8 teams he will go to.

The Rangers can't score goals to save their lives and nothing ignites scoring better than a high end puck moving defensemen. The Hawks benefit is freeing up cap space to pursue forward depth, because they would either bury him in the minors (assuming he doesnt have a NMC) or buy him out. Campbell is redundant on the Hawks because of Duncan Keith.
Doubtful. Drury has 1 year remaining on his deal...Campbell is locked up for 3 more, and at an even higher cap hit!

Old
04-24-2011, 01:16 PM
beastly115

Quote:

No chance. The idea is to get rid of Drury completely. Not trade him for an even worse contract.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:19 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Totally correct. But at the same time there is nothing wrong with a player acknowledging that he is no longer able to play at a level needed to compete in this league, and gracefully exiting stage left. While nobody was forced to give him the contract he got, the reality is he was compensated quite well for a very modest performance these past several years. To continue to collect a paycheck that is most assuredly undeserved going forward would be disrespectful to his teammates and the organization that treated him so well. Chris has always struck me as a classy individual, and I have to believe he will seriously consider retirement. If he doesn't he gets bought out and life goes on.
He can still play in this league. You can do worse as a fourth line center at the NHL level. It's not as if the guy is an ECHL-caliber player at this point.

He's neither said nor done anything to lead me to believe that he no longer wants to play. If he still wants to play NHL hockey, and can still play NHL hockey, why would he retire?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Marc Staal

No one in their right mind would trade for this overpaid bum.

He is not going to retire so only other option is to buy him out.

Marc Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He can still play in this league. You can do worse as a fourth line center at the NHL level. It's not as if the guy is an ECHL-caliber player at this point.

He's neither said nor done anything to lead me to believe that he no longer wants to play. If he still wants to play NHL hockey, and can still play NHL hockey, why would he retire?
is he though? he only out produced Boogaard by 3 assists this season despite playing nearly triple the amount of minutes. in points per minute Boogaard actually out performed him. and we'd all agree Boogaard is just about scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of 4th line productivity.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:23 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

Well that's the key. If he still has a "cranky" knee then maybe it doesn't matter that he wants to play.

Old
04-24-2011, 01:25 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I just don't see how if this club wants to make moves to become a contender that Drury can still be on this roster.

Sad because Drury's a good guy but true.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:28 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I just don't see how if this club wants to make moves to become a contender that Drury can still be on this roster.

Sad because Drury's a good guy but true.
No, he can't be. If he doesn't retire he has to be bought out. There are no other options unless the team wants to write off 2011-2012.

Old
04-24-2011, 01:32 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
is he though? he only out produced Boogaard by 3 assists this season despite playing nearly triple the amount of minutes. in points per minute Boogaard actually out performed him. and we'd all agree Boogaard is just about scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of 4th line productivity.
As a fourth line center his primary job is not going to be to provide offense. It's going to be to play responsible defensive hockey, kill penalties, and win draws. All of which he can do at a level adequate to perform in the NHL. I don't know how anyone can dispute this, really, unless it's just because they hate him.

Boogaard is just about the worst offensive player you could dress. However, he doesn't have a job because of his offense. He has a job because of his fighting ability. Now we can debate whether or not someone should be given a job based solely on fighting until the cows come home, but I don't think anyone will dispute the need for guys that play defense, kill penalties and excel on faceoffs.

A number of people had made the statement that Chris Drury is now Blair Betts at seven times the price. Well, Blair Betts is still an NHL player. As is Chris Drury.

Is he an NHL player for us? We don't need him, no. And I don't want him. But that doesn't mean that there aren't a number of teams that could use his services, which is my point--he's still a guy capable of playing in the NHL.

If Chris Drury became a UFA tomorrow, there'd be plenty of teams interested in bringing him in to play in their bottom six. Do you doubt this? Drury is washed up as an offensive contributor, but that doesn't mean he's done.

Old
04-24-2011, 01:42 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Well that's the key. If he still has a "cranky" knee then maybe it doesn't matter that he wants to play.
Maybe. People said that Mike Peca should just retire after he destroyed his leg. He wanted to play and hung on for a couple more years as a decent bottom six guy.

Old
04-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
No chance. The idea is to get rid of Drury completely. Not trade him for an even worse contract.
No doubt that Campbell's contract is a bit rough. But adding him would probably improve your team's offense dramatically. Soupy hasn't been a #1 defensemen in a few years and has reverted to a little more of a defensive dman with the Hawks. He had the best +/- on the Hawks this year and was the 10th best in the NHL.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:48 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
No doubt that Campbell's contract is a bit rough. But adding him would probably improve your team's offense dramatically. Soupy hasn't been a #1 defensemen in a few years and has reverted to a little more of a defensive dman with the Hawks. He had the best +/- on the Hawks this year and was the 10th best in the NHL.
We need a veteran defenseman, but not at Campbell's price. The bulk of the money we spend this offseason will be to upgrade the forward corps.

Old
04-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
It is a puzzle. Beat writers have been rather coy at the suggestion of a Drury retirement.

Also, calling it a "Naslund" is a bit unfair. Marcus was to make only 3 mil in his deferred year with a 4 mil cap hit, and was just coming off of a 20+ goal campaign.

Chris Drury has 14 goals in two years of hockey, where he has occupied a combined 14 some odd million of cap space.