Notices

2011 Draft Discussion (June 24-25)

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Static

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Static
I think we need to draft a center. We've drafted a lot of wings in the last couple drafts, and Holland/Bonino may not be the 2nd line center we are looking for. The center is the most important forward position and our prospect depth lacks quality at that position.

Old
03-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Varius

I would not be opposed to packaging our 1st rounder with other stuff to try and acquire a guy to play with Fowler, or a true 2nd-line C.

If we do use it, I'd say get BPA but with preference to a C. Definitely no G in first round and while a big shutdown defender would be great, the really good ones will probably be gone already by the time we pick and anyone after that, we can probably find a similar version in a later round.

Old
03-10-2011, 03:58 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 50
Not confident about Holland or Boinino. So I'm fine with a C for any forwards taken. Besides, it's easier to shift a C to LW anyways. That way we can possibly fill either C or LW, since RW looks pretty well covered.

I always get in arguments with the "BPA" people. I agree with them in theory, but I feel that there is almost never a clearly best player available. Usually it's a tier of a few guys who are pretty equivalent. Then you might as well go by positional need in your prospect pool. Basically choose the guy in the best tier available who best fills a positional need.

If position didn't play a large part we wouldn't have drafts like 2010.

Old
03-10-2011, 04:04 PM
DuckshaveaRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Not confident about Holland or Boinino. So I'm fine with a C for any forwards taken. Besides, it's easier to shift a C to LW anyways. That way we can possibly fill either C or LW, since RW looks pretty well covered.

I always get in arguments with the "BPA" people. I agree with them in theory, but I feel that there is almost never a clearly best player available. Usually it's a tier of a few guys who are pretty equivalent. Then you might as well go by positional need in your prospect pool. Basically choose the guy in the best tier available who best fills a positional need.

agreed you take the BPA in the position you need the most, no point taking BPA if you have guys at the same level or who can do the same role

Old
03-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Gibson Les Palms

Always take the centreman. That's all I will say.

Regardless of who or what type of player they draft, Bob has to get a 2nd line centre to fill in the hole for a few years.

Old
03-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

don't think we need to worry about drafting another goalie, unless it's a fleury, martin brodeur like prospect that just somehow gets passed over.

getting a solid center/ left wing. (left hand shot would be awesome if we get a guy who can play at age 20)

never wrong going for Defence, although Anaheim has kind of gone wrong over the years with some of the d men they drafted.

Bob just needs to trade for a better goalie, and hope Bobkov becomes NHL ready. he's young, and did he not win the WJC?

Last edited by Seanconn*: 03-10-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old
03-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Selanne138

if Victor Rask falls to the second round Id like to take a chance on him. Hes fallen for a while, but I think the talent is there, worth a 2nd round pick IMO for a possibly elite center prospect.

Old
03-11-2011, 02:13 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Ducks need some forward depth so draft a forward with first and second round picks (center and lw preferably) unless some skilled defenceman falls to us like last time.

Old
03-11-2011, 06:46 AM
DuckshaveaRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varius View Post
I would not be opposed to packaging our 1st rounder with other stuff to try and acquire a guy to play with Fowler, or a true 2nd-line C.

If we do use it, I'd say get BPA but with preference to a C. Definitely no G in first round and while a big shutdown defender would be great, the really good ones will probably be gone already by the time we pick and anyone after that, we can probably find a similar version in a later round.
so i think i right in saying that no one is really against us moving picks too fill some holes such suggested above using the 1st to try get a 2nd line C and maybe moving the others so i that case what do people see our picks being used for /getting. maybe our 5th for a Konopka ?

Old
03-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post

If we(the fans) were drafting you'd be right, as to us there probably isn't a clear BPA. However, for the team, they definitely know who that BPA is, and there is one(to them, at least). I definitely agree with it, because a lot can change in a few years and who knows if that positional need is still there in a few years. For example, Montreal took Price, the BPA, when goaltending was far from a need, and it has played huge dividends for them. Considering that, and the fact that you need to secure the best asset, BPA is always the way to go.

Another great example of teams not going BPA and it costing them could be just last year. All those teams went for things they felt they needed over Fowler, and many of them look pretty dumb for doing so. And thank God Murray wasn't going to fall in line and decide he needed more physicality(Forbort) on the blueline or something like that.

Old
03-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Markus078

It finally comes down to my prefered players for the upcoming draft. In the range where we will most likely darft I would love to see either

Jamie Oleksiak, Mark Scheifele or Sven Bartschi (if available but I doubt)

Oleksiak would be awesome. That size + the upside, just great. I think that playing in college will inrease the possibiltiy of drafting him. I'm sure McNab has him on his list and will tell our scouting staff. I think he could be the ideal partner for a player like Fowler while I think Sbisa will end up with Schultz one day.

Old
04-18-2011, 09:23 AM
DuckshaveaRPG

maybe a later round pick ive heard about is Maxim Shalunov

Old
04-18-2011, 09:31 AM
DuckshaveaRPG

and also maybe use a late round pick for Nikita Kucherov hockeysfuture say

Kucherov is another player which isn't much known outside of Russia but can become a top level player in the next couple of years. He's had better numbers than Alexander Khokhlachev, who's having an excellent year in the OHL and is most likely going to be drafted high in June. Kucherov is a small-sized, prototypical Russian winger who is very technically sound, with great skating and a very large bag of tricks. He also has a good knack in sitting on the weak side during powerplays to wind up his excellent one-timer, a quality that will allow him to score plenty of goals at any level. The captain of his team, CSKA juniors in the Russian junior league, Kucherov is having a sensational season with 42 points in just 27 games, impressive numbers no matter the league. The left-handed right winger is also a very active player when the opposition retains the puck as he likes to forecheck and press the puck carrier. If he will put on some muscle, Kucherov might find himself in the NHL quicker than most could expect.

Old
04-18-2011, 09:32 AM
DuckshaveaRPG

they said this about Maxim Shalunov

As tradition dictates, the top players coming from Russia for the 2011 NHL Entry Draft is a forward, Maxim Shalunov. The 17-year-old right winger possesses a very nice set of skills including a strong shot and undeniable skating abilities that allow him to be a dangerous player whenever he touches the ice. His impressive combination of size and speed makes him a tough player to deal with. That also means that his game could translate with relative ease to the North American ice surface and different style. This summer Shalunov has been one of the few bright spots for Team Russia at the Ivan Hlinka tournament. He contributed with two goals and one assist to Team Russia's final fifth place. Shalunov has what it takes to play a top-six role in the NHL one day, but he needs to have a good U18 WJC in April to be drafted high

Old
04-18-2011, 09:33 AM
DuckshaveaRPG

do pepole have a problem with drafting Russians ?

Old
04-18-2011, 09:41 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

I was actually disappointed we didn't use a later pick to pick up Kabonov [spelling?] I don't really like using high picks on them, but a lot of them in the lower rounds can often be low risk / high reward.

It's more their mindset then skill IMO

Old
04-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckshaveaRPG View Post
Absolutely.

Unless there's someone on the Malkin/AO level available, I don't want Ducks to draft any russians in the first 4 rounds.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:59 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

I devalue Russians because of the KHL. It's a high paying alternative in their home country, so you have to worry that they will stay at home. Even guys like Radulov, who came over to play in the Q and who claimed to want to play in the NHL. I don't care about the excuses like "no heart" or "don't care about winning the Cup." That's racist bull. So picking Russians is fine, you just have to factor in a possible "decreased likelihood to play in the NHL" when deciding where to rank them.

In general you have to worry about headcases, Russians, other Europeans, and North Americans alike. Kabanov is just that kind of example, with repeated run ins with multiple teams. Sure they may mature. But more likely they won't. Only use low picks on them. Even a 3rd is too high for Kabanov IMO.

Old
04-18-2011, 07:22 PM
wesott11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckshaveaRPG View Post
Yes. Definite yes. The typical Russian player isn't like north american player. Not to stereotype all Russians but they have tendencies of laziness. Zherdev and frolov come to mind. Of course there are plenty of great players that have a great impact on their teams but I'm just not up to taking risks on russians In the first two maybe three rounds.

Plus there's usually contract disputes bringing some of these guys over, even IF they come over.

Let's stick with north Americans and an occasional Scandinavian here and there.

Old
04-18-2011, 08:53 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesott11 View Post
Yes. Definite yes. The typical Russian player isn't like north american player. Not to stereotype all Russians but they have tendencies of laziness. Zherdev and frolov come to mind. Of course there are plenty of great players that have a great impact on their teams but I'm just not up to taking risks on russians In the first two maybe three rounds.

Plus there's usually contract disputes bringing some of these guys over, even IF they come over.

Let's stick with north Americans and an occasional Scandinavian here and there.
lol... a b it of racial stereotyping there haha

seriously though, if we draft a russian, he better have the work ethic and compete level of a pavel datsyuk.. i lvoe that guy even if he does play for the DRW... i dont care if hes not as skilled as a pavel because to hope for that is hard but i want that constant effort and hounding the puck carrier when he doesnt have the puck

Old
04-18-2011, 09:14 PM
wesott11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
lol... a b it of racial stereotyping there haha

seriously though, if we draft a russian, he better have the work ethic and compete level of a pavel datsyuk.. i lvoe that guy even if he does play for the DRW... i dont care if hes not as skilled as a pavel because to hope for that is hard but i want that constant effort and hounding the puck carrier when he doesnt have the puck
Haha dammit I probably should have kept it simple like 'they better have great work ethic'. I'm fine with signing Russians, just drafting them.

Also how many north American players have had 'transfer issues?' Russia has a very talented pro league and I don't know about all of you but I personally would take less money to play close to home.

Was that any better/less racist sounding???

Old
04-23-2011, 12:57 PM
DuckshaveaRPG

i think we should go BPA in 1st round
2nd round try fill a gap maybe a shut down D like Jamie Oleksiakbut he prob go before this
3rd a goalie
3rd take a flyer on Kucherov i be very happy with this
3rd BPA
5th round either trade it or maybe get a Goon dont really mind what you do with it

Old
04-23-2011, 09:10 PM
caliamad

I've heard its not a great draft. I'd love to package the 1st + a propsect for a legit 2nd line center that can win faceoffs, play some defense, and be a good pair for Bobby Ryan.

Old
04-24-2011, 01:57 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Absolutely.

Unless there's someone on the Malkin/AO level available, I don't want Ducks to draft any russians in the first 4 rounds.
Agreed. Look at what the CBJs have gotten for using high picks on Zherdev and Filatov.

Old
04-24-2011, 02:01 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

For those of you saying to package the 1st round pick for a 2nd line center...a lot depends on Selanne. If he comes back then Koivu centers the 2nd line one more year. Summer 2012 Blake and Koivu's contracts are off the books and the 2nd line will look a lot different in 12-13.

July 2012 is when Murray can really go shopping.

On the other hand...Etem-Holland-Palmieri might be ready for 2012-2013.

Closed Thread