HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stepan: Playoffs MIA

Old
04-24-2011, 09:07 AM
jniklast

vCash: 500
That's why making the playoffs is important. The young players get some valuable experience moving forward.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
The worst forward? Not even close. This entire thread is idiotic.
this^ He played fine, not great but he was okay.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:45 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Or Gaborik, juss sayin'
Gaborik wasn't available half the season. and with Torts runnin the show, he'll see maybe 30 games on the same line as Gaborik, since he likes to switch it up so friggin much...

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:45 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Has Seguin even played a game in the playoffs? This supposed wonderkid isn't even getting a sniff of action. I'm not knocking him since it's probably because the Bruins are contenders and no one expects anything from rookies. I'm just happy that Stepan is getting experience, pretty much my feeling about the core of this team right now.
Seguin has not gotten a jersey for a game in the PO's, he also has been a healthy scratch a few games. Stepan averaged 4 more minutes TOI this season than Seguin.
And Stepan was one of only a few NYR to play all 82 games.

He has to add some bulk, but he isn't the only one...all in all a really good rookie season for the kid.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:53 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I can't wait until the people who rarely frequent this board disappear again. Between the guy who said he wasn't going to watch game 5 to the guy who blames Lundqvist for the Caps loss to this guy calling Stepan M.I.A.
At least it should be an interesting summer.

I can't wait for the draft and July 1st. Not because I want a bunch of free agents, but because it should be interesting to see what happens with Richards.

I also can't wait for the World Championships (Kreider), Prospect Camp, and Traverse City.

Should be interesting to see what happens with Drury, too. Could be somewhat of a soap-opera.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:01 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshirt4lyfe View Post
That's why it was a good thing for us to make the playoffs, let these guys experience the atmosphere so that the next time around they're ready for it.
Dubinsky had twice "experienced the atmosphere" going into this series. Did he appear "ready for it"? Frankly, he was more impressive in his very first playoffs than he was in this one.

Sorry, but this whole "get-the-kids-playoff-experience" thing is grossly overrated.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

i like how when you criticize stepan people defend him by saying "what were you expecting?? a conn smythe winner??"

no one ever expected him to win the conn smythe we're just pointing out that he was pretty invisible. i think we've all agreed that its because he was completely gassed over an 82 game season + playoffs.

its understandable and i look forward to seeing what he brings next year.

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:32 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Dubinsky had twice "experienced the atmosphere" going into this series. Did he appear "ready for it"? Frankly, he was more impressive in his very first playoffs than he was in this one.

Sorry, but this whole "get-the-kids-playoff-experience" thing is grossly overrated.
On Dubinsky--agree and disagree. Tortorella changed him back to a center--put Gaborik on his line and gave him a staggering amount of ice time. His numbers other than the ice time are not that great and dependent somewhat on Gaborik finishing which didn't happen. Faceoffs Dubinsky was definitely not good. More than anything I think it proves he's better as a left winger--he gets more and better chances and he shoot more.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

That's the thing with kids coming from the collegiate ranks, they just don't play as many games as the kids playing Juniors. He's a hell of a player and I am excited to see him next season. Hopefully he get's in with MDZ and goes to train with Gary Roberts.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:51 PM
dynamoovechkin

Step will improve, he will bounce back. Sure, he may have been gassed, but every playoffs some third line guy scores a big goal or has a big game that turns a series around. I was just so hoping that Step would be that guy flying under the radar. Didn't happen, and I kept expecting it to.

Kid's got a bright future, and a solid place on this team moving forward. No way in hell should we even think about moving him.

I am just disappointed that he wasn't around the puck much and just not noticeable in this series.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:23 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I can't wait until the people who rarely frequent this board disappear again. Between the guy who said he wasn't going to watch game 5 to the guy who blames Lundqvist for the Caps loss to this guy calling Stepan M.I.A.
This. I think Stepan and the other kids got a good look at playoff hockey against a very intimidating opponent.

They now realize how tight checking the games are and I actually noticed Stepan forechecking more aggressively in this series. Other shifts he seemed a bit out of sorts and unable to keep up in our end.

If anything this thread needs to be created about the list of players who didn't show, not just one of our rookies.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:31 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I agree with you to an extent, Sting, but I don't think he completely abandoned everything that made him an attractive prospect. In fact quite the opposite. As a 20 year old rookie he was constantly making smart, heady plays. Yes, he wasn't a ridiculous playmaker but you say it as if he didn't create plays at all. Many of his goals were a result of him knowing where to be on the ice and putting in rebounds. I hope you didn't expect him to come into the NHL and look like his college and WJC self. Give him linemates who can hit the twine and I expect this argument will be moot.

He slowed down as the season wore on but with a 40 point rookie season he was IMO one of our best players this year and will be into the future.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:06 PM
NYRangers4Life1994

Send a message via AIM to NYRangers4Life1994 Send a message via MSN to NYRangers4Life1994
Stepans playoff performance is irrelevant to his bright future. Look how Lundy did in his first playoff stint... horrible...

With that aside. Stepan is young and has a ton of time to improve. I am not annoyed that he was MIA. As for that other guy who was MIA all season long, he has no excuses, right Mr. Gaborik?

NYRangers4Life1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Stepan was totally dead by the time the playoffs rolled around. Did you notice his skating? While he's not a speedster by any means, he was embarrassingly bad in the playoffs. Probably just fatigue.

Now, if you want to be concerned about someone's playoff performance, I would point fingers towards Anisimov. He had 1 fluke goal the entire series, no assists, and was overall not that great in my opinion. I know he's streaky, but if we're going to move forward with Anisimov, I think he has to really show something next season or I don't think Sather is going to retain him for much longer.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:35 PM
The Mouth

he didn't show much in the playoffs but i dont care. kid is gonna be a real good ranger.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:46 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

rookie. ran out of gas. pretty much everything everyone else has posted.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Could be somewhat of a soap-opera.
Its been for years !

All my children, Days of our lives, General Hospital - all apply to this years team

As for Stepan, he'll be fine, but maybe relying on a kid right out of College wasn't such a hot idea.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:52 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Stepan was totally dead by the time the playoffs rolled around. Did you notice his skating? While he's not a speedster by any means, he was embarrassingly bad in the playoffs. Probably just fatigue.

Now, if you want to be concerned about someone's playoff performance, I would point fingers towards Anisimov. He had 1 fluke goal the entire series, no assists, and was overall not that great in my opinion. I know he's streaky, but if we're going to move forward with Anisimov, I think he has to really show something next season or I don't think Sather is going to retain him for much longer.
This was also only Anisimov's second year and first playoffs. He did a pretty good job improving on his points totals from year one, and he's not the only guy on the Rangers who struggled in the playoffs.

People really need to find some patience eventually...

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Yet when mza ran out of gass and was a rookie too, you guys cursed him out for having a couple of bad games...

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post
Yet when mza ran out of gass and was a rookie too, you guys cursed him out for having a couple of bad games...
Well, I didn't personally, but yes people expect every young player/prospect to have an immediate impact and for them to always be trending upwards, completely disregarding anything other than points and *****ing if a guy struggles a little. Rookie defenseman scores 37 points, struggles the next year, he's useless and it's time to trade him while his value is high. Young player starts off well and struggles at the end of the season when the games are tighter and he's tired, then the player is obviously flawed and the Rangers should look into trading him.

It's just how it is around here. People expect instant results and completely consistent play all of the time out of these young players and it just doesn't work that way

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Well, I didn't personally, but yes people expect every young player/prospect to have an immediate impact and for them to always be trending upwards, completely disregarding anything other than points and *****ing if a guy struggles a little. Rookie defenseman scores 37 points, struggles the next year, he's useless and it's time to trade him while his value is high. Young player starts off well and struggles at the end of the season when the games are tighter and he's tired, then the player is obviously flawed and the Rangers should look into trading him.

It's just how it is around here. People expect instant results and completely consistent play all of the time out of these young players and it just doesn't work that way
agreed. MDZ is still an important part of the future of this team, and Stepan is too.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

Agreed.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:04 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
He played twice the number of games he's been used to. Just ran out of gas, happens to most first year guys from college.
This is really all that needs to be said, here.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:15 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
He played twice the number of games he's been used to. Just ran out of gas, happens to most first year guys from college.
About sums it up. See you next year.

/Thread

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:29 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Agreed.
Sauer, McDonagh, Boyle, Anisimov, Gilroy, Prust, Stepan, and Zuccarello all played in their first series.

Zuccarello wasn't ready and got sent back down.

The rest of them played major minutes at critical times of the series and they make up one third of this hockey team.

One third of this team experienced their first NHL playoffs and you don't think that's important? Really?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote