HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks sign free agent D Sebastian Erixon

Old
04-21-2011, 05:03 AM
B-rock

vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind the Canucks re-signing Salo on the cheap, to be a #6 d-man, if he wants to be back and would be willing to take a cheaper salary. He's been great in the playoffs again.

Then, when he goes down with his usual 20-30 games, it provides a good opportunity to try out our prospects like Erixon. Similar to what happened this year with Tanev getting in to play 25 or so games. Great for development.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:27 AM
Vajakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
I wouldn't mind the Canucks re-signing Salo on the cheap, to be a #6 d-man, if he wants to be back and would be willing to take a cheaper salary. He's been great in the playoffs again.
Agreed. Not sure if Salo is ok with that though, he might want more than one year deal and around same number of money he currently makes, something that Gillis won't be offering. Might end up similar to Öhlund, where he leaves to a more desperate team that offers him a crazy contract.

One year at 2 million (maybe 500k bonus if he plays 70+ games or something) and I would sign him. That would be 1.5 million lower than his current cap hit. That money could be spent on Ehrhoff and maybe Bieksa, 1 million raise for Ehrhoff and 0.5 for Bieksa. That is if Gillis wants Bieksa back, I'm kind of 50/50 on Bieksa still.

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:43 PM
thefeebster

Well his contract has been added to Capgeek - $770K, 2 Years.

Moose defense is very full, bursting at the seams really. I am wondering how that shakes up, possible loans to other AHL teams or some heading to forsaken ECHL (if we even have an affiliate now)?

Also found this on the Calgary board when they thought this article was about Tim Erixon.

Peter Forsberg was asked to name one young player in the SEL that impressed him the most this season, the only player he named was Sebastian Erixon.

http://dagbladet.se/sport/1.2534221-...k-s-backtalang

Hope that he can come over early in the summer like Tanev did last season to train. Both of them could use some more muscle.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:59 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
Because it is fun? And we'll see how the top 6 looks next year; it is many players who might disappear.

Besides, Erixon isn't exactly a young prospect, born 1989 and selected for the national team playing right now (might be bumped of the roster after the first round of the NHL play off though).

When it comes to Swedish players they have up until recently stayed in Sweden up until they get a shot in NHL (e.g.: Naslund, Sundin, Alfredsson, Forsberg, Lidstrom).

Now we got more and more prospects coming from for example Sweden who are real prospects, who need a year or two in AHL (e.g. Edler). But I would really like to point out that it isn't a rule that all players should go through AHL. A conditioning stint can be ok, talking games and not seasons.

A guy who have been good (some would say excellent) in SEL as Erixon (or Omark in KHL) and has reached the age of being a senior could without pass directly into NHL (we have some good examples mentioned above). If he does not succeed the odds are that he probably leave rather than stay in AHL (e.g. Andersson this season) as AHL isn't that much better an option than SEL or KHL anyway.

So with this said, I think that it is wise to not be rigid in the treatment of players. This is not a game about fairness (everyone should do a stint in the Manitoba Moose player's bus), it is about decision-making and evaluation and one way to deal with all players is nor decision-making or doing evaluations. Finally, no he might not make the top 6, but I do not see him playing a full season in AHL as sure-fire.
I'd be willing to bet big that Gillis doesn't plan on having him as an option on the NHL team next year... it would be very unlike him to sign a 21 YO dman and insert him into the lineup in a top-6 spot. Since he's become GM, he's made it pretty clear that he wants to build around an experienced mobile defense and places a lot of value on the overall depth of the franchise.

This seems like a move to add a young dman in the #9-12 spots, who has the potential to move up. He could get icetime to fill in for injuries (like we saw with Tanev last season), but I'd bet that he plans on working him through the system for at least a year. This has been a very big part of the Gillis regime - to have patience with their prospects and develop them in their own system.

With 3 of the current top-6 guys hitting UFA, expect at least 1 to be re-signed, and the rest of the spots filled by UFA vets or trades. I doubt even Tanev goes into next season any higher than #7-8 on the depth chart himself and he had a pretty good rookie season.

My guess:
one-way:

1- Edler
2- Ehrhoff (re-signed)
3- Hamhuis
4- Ballard
5-UFA?
6- Alberts (re-signed)/UFA?
7-Rome
----
two-way:

8-Tanev
9-12-Erixon, Sauve, Connauton, Andersson? (signed, coming over?), etc..

Erixon, IMO, is more a replacement for Lee Sweatt on the depth chart, than a player who will fill a full-time top-6 role.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 12:48 AM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
My guess:
one-way:

1- Edler
2- Ehrhoff (re-signed)
3- Hamhuis
4- Ballard
5-UFA?
6- Alberts (re-signed)/UFA?
7-Rome
----
two-way:

8-Tanev
9-12-Erixon, Sauve, Connauton, Andersson? (signed, coming over?), etc..

Erixon, IMO, is more a replacement for Lee Sweatt on the depth chart, than a player who will fill a full-time top-6 role.
Don't forget Ryan Parent. I feel he deserves a shot.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blane Youngblood View Post
Don't forget Ryan Parent. I feel he deserves a shot.
Yes, please...Replace Rome with Parent. Knock that bozo down the depth chart.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Aquiace
The Goggles!

He's pretty small. He'd better be one helluva skater and a good playmaker or he won't last 5 games in the NHL.

According to his profile, he signed a 3-year contract last year with Timra. I'm not that familiar with how the transfers would work. Can anyone give me a brief explanation?

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:21 PM
JamesBond*

The sweet thing about this deal is that if the Canucks manage to screw up this playoff series, at least they will have signed Erik Sebastian. I can take comfort in that.

JamesBond* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 883
People here overate Tanev so much...

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:24 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
People here overate Tanev so much...
Yeah, but seriously, would you trade Tanev for Doughty? Be honest.

Old
04-24-2011, 04:14 PM
jammyrft

Tanev show's promise but lets not completely overrate him here. Yes he has poise and skates smooth but he's lacking a big shot and physical play which could make for a short career unless he continues to grow. I'm not saying he won't make the big club or saying he will I just think we're penciling him in too early.

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:59 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
Tanev show's promise but lets not completely overrate him here. Yes he has poise and skates smooth but he's lacking a big shot and physical play which could make for a short career unless he continues to grow. I'm not saying he won't make the big club or saying he will I just think we're penciling him in too early.
if people were pencilling him in top 4 next year that is plainly overrating him but in the 6-8th role hardly. Sure he's no lock but he's shown he can play that role.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 05:21 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
if people were pencilling him in top 4 next year that is plainly overrating him but in the 6-8th role hardly. Sure he's no lock but he's shown he can play that role.
He's better than Pronger was in his prime.

Old
04-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Aquiace
The Goggles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
He's better than Pronger was in his prime.
Wait, what?

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote