HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

POTG & GBR: ECQF Game 5 @ Washington Capitals

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: ECQF Game 5 @ Washington Capitals
Sean Avery 13 15.48%
Brandon Dubinsky 1 1.19%
Matt Gilroy 2 2.38%
Dan Girardi 7 8.33%
Henrik Lundqvist 47 55.95%
Ryan McDonagh 1 1.19%
Brandon Prust 1 1.19%
Michael Sauer 1 1.19%
Marc Staal 2 2.38%
Wojtek Wolski 1 1.19%
Other 8 9.52%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Blue Line Monster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
All of them. The point some of us are trying to make is that the Rangers werent dominated in this series. The play was pretty even. Lundqvist wasnt a man on an Island, sans for the 1st period of Games 1 and 5 and the OT in Game 4.

It chaps my ass when people say that whole "Poor Henrik" garbage. If Henrik is going to be considered a leader and focal point of the team, then he needs to take on some blame when they lose.

They didnt lose this series because of Henrik, but he wasnt as big a factor as he was when this team was clawing for a playoff birth.
The only reason they weren't dominated is because of Hank.

Did you notice how many breakaways or 2 on 1's or even good chances the Rangers got on the Caps this series?

Now if you flip it the other way Hank had to stop A LOT more good chances. I'd say 3-4 breakaways, a bunch of 2 on 1's, shots from much more talented players than we can even dream of... and even after those chances he stopped there were the Caps goals, which were mostly perfect cross ice passing plays..

This is what mostly everyone else saw(everyone except the 4 hank bashers), which is why the main board threads were filled with "poor Henrik" posts and such..

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:15 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Hank was good this playoff series but not great. However, I do believe Hank has it in him to at least lead a team deep in the playoffs and then perhaps win a Stanley Cup.

It just seems with all the excuses being thrown around these boards than Hank needs to be in the "perfect" situation such as the team needs a #1 center, or the refs screwed us, or fluky goals and etc. Hank is the highest paid goalie in the NHL and he did not raise the level of his game in the playoffs.

There are a lot of really good goalies in the NHL and Hank is definately one of them. Debates about regular season Vezina nominations are worthless as there is a more important issue here is that Hank needs to get hot at the right time in the playoffs and carry a team deep in the playoffs.

There is no denying that Hank is the foundation of this team and has been a real good player for a while now. All GM's would gladly have Hank as their #1 goalie. It is time he takes his game to another level.
Pretty much sums up how I feel.

I love Henrik and what he's done for us fans after the horrid pre-lockout days, but I'd like to see him carry us to at least the CF one year. Both Beezer and Richter did it with mediocre teams.

The 1986 Rangers were almost a carbon copy of the 2011 Rangers. Lots of good, yound 2nd and 3rd liners with a few veterans and a young but experienced defense.

In fact, the 1986 Rangers didnt have a 30-goal scorer. Totally unheard of in the High-scoring 1980s. Beezer was the reason why we went to the CF, plain and simple.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:20 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line Monster View Post
The only reason they weren't dominated is because of Hank.

Did you notice how many breakaways or 2 on 1's or even good chances the Rangers got on the Caps this series?

Now if you flip it the other way Hank had to stop A LOT more good chances. I'd say 3-4 breakaways, a bunch of 2 on 1's, shots from much more talented players than we can even dream of... and even after those chances he stopped there were the Caps goals, which were mostly perfect cross ice passing plays..

This is what mostly everyone else saw(everyone except the 4 hank bashers), which is why the main board threads were filled with "poor Henrik" posts and such..

Theres a difference between "dominated" and "outscored".

The Caps didnt dominate the series. They outscored the Rangers.

Nobody is bashing Henrik. Saying he didnt play as well as he should have is being factual.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:

Nobody is bashing Henrik. Saying he didnt play as well as he should have is being factual.

If being trapped in the defensive zone constantly and giving up a ton of good chances and breakways while not creating any offense ourselves isn't being dominated then I don't know what is.

Last edited by Blue Line Monster: 04-24-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
I come in peace as a Leaf fan. Just wanted to say that Dan Girardi is a beast! You guys have a really good and young D core that's continuing to grow, with Henrik in net and adding a big piece like Richards and getting rid of some dead weight the future looks bright for you guys. I was rooting for you guys against the Caps..cause I just can't stand them or their bandwagon fans.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:15 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
People gave me **** for saying Lundqvist doesn't have a Richter-like godmode yet for big games.
Richter didn't have a Richter-like godmode until he was surrounded by Leetch, Messier, Kovalev, Graves etc. All of the aforementioned had real offensive abilities. No one, I repeat no one has those kinds of skills on the present team.

Richter also had some real stinkers in the playoffs before 94. And let's not forget the goals he gave up in 94. And let's not forget the crossbars hit by Vancouver in Game 7that had Richter clearly beaten.

If the Rangers don't win, people would still be whining about Richter's failure in the big spot.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Richter didn't have a Richter-like godmode until he was surrounded by Leetch, Messier, Kovalev, Graves etc. All of the aforementioned had real offensive abilities. No one, I repeat no one has those kinds of skills on the present team.

Richter also had some real stinkers in the playoffs before 94. And let's not forget the goals he gave up in 94. And let's not forget the crossbars hit by Vancouver in Game 7that had Richter clearly beaten.

If the Rangers don't win, people would still be whining about Richter's failure in the big spot.
what he said, some revisionist history going on with Richter....loved Richter, but ppl seem to forget a lot of the awful goals he's given up at bad times.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:57 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
what he said, some revisionist history going on with Richter....loved Richter, but ppl seem to forget a lot of the awful goals he's given up at bad times.
Ron Francis...90 footer...all that needs to be said.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:27 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Except it's not, because Hank was the best player on the Rangers every game during the series and the offense laid a big steaming turd on his dreams of advancing.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:47 PM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line Monster View Post
What goalie doesn't stop that? It was shot back into him towards the middle of the crease...

Compare it to the 2 on 1 goal Hank gave up to Semin. Semin shot it top shelf to the opposite side of the net that the pass came from. Thomas wouldn't have stopped that.
That was a ****ing net seeking missile man. Not even Jesus was stopping that.

You can downplay the save all you want, it was a nice stop. Gionta could have lifted it more, but it was a good save.

Also, yes Richter had a better team in front of him. This isn't a comparison of teams though, this is a Richter big game vs. Hank big game comparison. Even with the awesome squad in front of him, Richter still had to make big saves because even the best teams have defensive lapses. So to say because Henrik has less to work with you can't compare the two is dumb.

All I am saying is, when you have a 3-0 lead, you cannot let 3 goals in, in the third period, no matter how bad the team in front of you is playing. Especially when the team scoring the three goals usually can barely score 1.

Henrik is not free from criticism, despite him being the best/most consistent player on the team.

04-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Hank showed big game ability this series. We just didn't get the kind of finishes we needed.

We are now 1-5 in playoff overtime games since the lockout. That, frankly, sucks.

04-24-2011, 01:57 PM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

Quote:

Richter only goalie in 71 years to win a a cup as a Ranger
Richter All star MVP
Richter Gold medal and MVP
Richter silver medal

That's 4 pretty big spots where he performed. When Richter was bad he was bad. When Richter was on he was spectacular to watch. But I always thought of him as inconsistent maybe more so than Hank which is why he is perceived to have a God mode. His lows were a bit lower and his highs a bit higher than Hank's.

And the crossbars and ifs comment is silly. You could use that as an argument against any goaltender or player for that matter.

There some revisions going on here on both sides of the argument. People are just as guilty of trying to tear Richter down a bit to make Hank look better as they are of building Richter up to make Hank look worse.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:42 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheBlue View Post
Richter only goalie in 71 years to win a a cup as a Ranger
Richter All star MVP
Richter Gold medal and MVP
Richter silver medal

That's 4 pretty big spots where he performed. When Richter was bad he was bad. When Richter was on he was spectacular to watch. But I always thought of him as inconsistent maybe more so than Hank which is why he is perceived to have a God mode. His lows were a bit lower and his highs a bit higher than Hank's.

And the crossbars and ifs comment is silly. You could use that as an argument against any goaltender or player for that matter.

There some revisions going on here on both sides of the argument. People are just as guilty of trying to tear Richter down a bit to make Hank look better as they are of building Richter up to make Hank look worse.
Henrik won gold, too. Richter gave up some big ones in 94, including a backbreaker against Jersey. Difference was he had players who could score. No one on this year's team could score, as we all saw.

Old
04-24-2011, 03:44 PM
chosen

I thought Staal was the best Ranger. To me, he is the best defensive defenseman I have ever seen as a Ranger.

Old
04-24-2011, 04:20 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
In Games his team's been faced with elimination, he's 1-5. Richter has a better reputation and track record, even without 1994
You can't compare Richter and Henrik in a vacuum...this isn't fantasy hockey we don't just look at stats we look at what drives the stats. I responded to the OP that Richter wasn't always god-like in the PO's and cited a specific example. So we change it to elimination games, so when do we talk about Richter's leading his team to a DNQ for the PO's his 5 last full seasons?
See I wouldn't blame the last 5 seasons of DNQ for the PO's on Richter alone, but using the line of reasoning you are using then I have to conclude that Richter did not have a good track record leading his team to the PO's.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 05:27 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:

On a period by period basis the Caps most certainly did dominate the series, because the score was low doesn't mean it didn't happen, Game 5 is the perfect example, the Caps dominated the entire 1st period outside the 1st shift...If not for Henrik that game is over in period 1. As I'm typing this the Flyers just scored their 5th goal on Miller....when is he gonna step up?

Old
04-24-2011, 05:31 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Henrik won gold, too. Richter gave up some big ones in 94, including a backbreaker against Jersey. Difference was he had players who could score. No one on this year's team could score, as we all saw.
Totally forgot that about Richter...besides the late goal in Game 7 he also gave up a late goal in Game 1 against the Devils that led to the OT loss.

Old
04-24-2011, 05:33 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

what is this about Torts getting signed to a 3 year extension...OMG nooooooooooooo

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 05:38 PM
NYRangers4Life1994

Send a message via AIM to NYRangers4Life1994 Send a message via MSN to NYRangers4Life1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
what is this about Torts getting signed to a 3 year extension...OMG nooooooooooooo
Why are you opposed to this? Who is a better option in the "free agency for coaches"??

If we get a new coach, we are starting from scratch. New system means learning it for a full year. It's a step back.

NYRangers4Life1994 is offline   Reply With Quote