HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Updated-Drury won't retire. Will soak the Rangers for buyout $

Old
04-24-2011, 01:55 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
It is a puzzle. Beat writers have been rather coy at the suggestion of a Drury retirement.

Also, calling it a "Naslund" is a bit unfair. Marcus was to make only 3 mil in his deferred year with a 4 mil cap hit, and was just coming off of a 20+ goal campaign.

Chris Drury has 14 goals in two years of hockey, where he has occupied a combined 14 some odd million of cap space.
Not sure what you mean by unfair. Naslund was far more deserving of the 3M than Drury is of his 7M. As you pointed out...Drury has been paid over 1,000,000 for every goal scored the past 2 seasons. He needs to go. If we have to buy him out so be it...but I'm still going to hold out hope he does what's in the best interest of the team.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:55 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Not sure what you mean by unfair. Naslund was far more deserving of the 3M than Drury is of his 7M. As you pointed out...Drury has been paid over 1,000,000 for every goal scored the past 2 seasons. He needs to go. If we have to buy him out so be it...but I'm still going to hold out hope he does what's in the best interest of the team.
He's saying it's unfair to Naslund.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
Drury needs to go simple as that. Make it happen Slats

Swept In Seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:58 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
I will pay anyone good money to perform inception on Chris Drury to get him to retire.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Pizza

Probably redundant but, the Rangers either buy him out or he's a fourth liner for us next season.

I don't think he's going to retire. Not after the way he he probably feels he was snake bit this year.

He's a good fit at the right price for somebody's 4th line, just maybe not ours. Veteran leadership, can play either wing or center, and he's still Chris Drury.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:16 PM
NYRSchrute217

4 years of him were enough. Get the hell of this team, Captain Cash

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I will pay anyone good money to perform inception on Chris Drury to get him to retire.
He probably has a gang of Boogaard's protecting his deepest thoughts.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:47 PM
ribbet

Hell I'd pay him the $5m as a coach to teach our kids how to win faceoffs.

ribbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Miller Time NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR ribbet View Post
Hell I'd pay him the $5m as a coach to teach our kids how to win faceoffs.
How is he going to teach kids something he doesn't know how to do consistently?

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:12 PM
McMonster

Please retire so we can give your 7 million to the next failure of a free agent signing!!!!

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Probably redundant but, the Rangers either buy him out or he's a fourth liner for us next season.

I don't think he's going to retire. Not after the way he he probably feels he was snake bit this year.

He's a good fit at the right price for somebody's 4th line, just maybe not ours. Veteran leadership, can play either wing or center, and he's still Chris Drury.
If Drury was unable to play the last game of the season and in the playoffs, I may have really believed retirement was a real option. With a whole summer to heal up and try and test his knee, he will try and play the last year of his deal unless his knee is in fact that badly shot. The fact he played at all tells me it can't be that bad if he is to only play on the PK, take defensive zone faceoffs and be on someone's 4th line. I expect him not to retire and force Sather to buy him out as 7 million for a 4th line center when this team is DYING for a 1st line center is setting this team up to be in the same position as last season. I see him being bought out and signing with a team like the Bruins where he can be properly used on the 4th line and on the PK, with a chance to go deep in the playoffs.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Chris 84

why should he retire? i mean sure, if he doesn't get back to full fitness, maybe it'd be in his interests to retire. and sure, he isn't worth 7mil cap space, but if everyone who wasn't worth their contracts were retiring, then there'd be quite a few guys on the scrapheap.

blame sather for giving him the contract in the first place, not drury.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 05:19 PM
mike14

Misleading thread title - I actually thought someone had written an open letter to Drury and sent it a paper or something, very disappointing.

As many have said, why would he walk away from $5m? He's not worth $5m, and I'd say even he accepts that, but some moron was dumb enough to promise it to him and if it was me I'd certainly make sure that promise was honored.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 05:21 PM
OverTheCap

Drury and Naslund are two different situations.

Naslund was a Ranger for one year and had no emotional attachment to the team. Although he retired from the NHL, he didn't retire from hockey altogether. He was able to go back to his homeland in Sweden and play for Modo.

Drury is the captain of the team he grew up rooting for. If he retires, that's it for him, no more professional hockey. He can't go "home" to play hockey like Naslund because he already is home.

It's become somewhat routine for European hockey players to retire from the NHL and then play professional hockey in their hometown or elsewhere in Europe. North American hockey players don't really have this option, and it's understandable as to why they would prefer to stick it out in the NHL as opposed to playing in Europe where they have no ties.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 05:31 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
Yeah, God forbid should a guy even consider being a provider for his family. How selfish of him.
Yup, multi-millionaires often struggle to provide for their families.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
He probably has a gang of Boogaard's protecting his deepest thoughts.
we will be okay then, one punch will end them

Swept In Seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 05:36 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
why should he retire? i mean sure, if he doesn't get back to full fitness, maybe it'd be in his interests to retire. and sure, he isn't worth 7mil cap space, but if everyone who wasn't worth their contracts were retiring, then there'd be quite a few guys on the scrapheap.

blame sather for giving him the contract in the first place, not drury.
It's called pride and integrity.... He was signed and is currently compensated to be a difference maker for this team.... His body and hockey ability has declined to the degree that he's the equivalent of a marginal 4th liner. Do you think Drury feels deserving of the money he made this season or the money he's entitled to next season? A player's responsibility to perform does not begin and end the day he signs his contract. There is an expectation of performance... If your age & body prohibits you to perform anywhere close to that level of expectation, that's on the player....

Old
04-24-2011, 05:38 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Yup, multi-millionaires often struggle to provide for their families.
The problem with this line of reasoning is that Drury was even half-way smart with the amount of $$ he's made, most of it will be in investments rather than just lying around. It's quite possible that a lot of those investments will have been made based on the fact that he would earn $5m next season. If he no longer gets that $$ it could affect him and his family quite a bit.

Old
04-24-2011, 05:42 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
The problem with this line of reasoning is that Drury was even half-way smart with the amount of $$ he's made, most of it will be in investments rather than just lying around. It's quite possible that a lot of those investments will have been made based on the fact that he would earn $5m next season. If he no longer gets that $$ it could affect him and his family quite a bit.
Yeah I don't buy that one year of pay is the difference maker for his financial well-being one bit.... He also has a business venture outside of hockey that provides income and if he was a smart guy, he would have managed his finances well throughout his career.... I don't take Drury for a dummy.

Old
04-24-2011, 05:47 PM
mike14

Quote:
Yeah I don't buy that one year of pay is the difference maker for his financial well-being one bit.... He also has a business venture outside of hockey that provides income and if he was a smart guy, he would have managed his finances well throughout his career.... I don't take Drury for a dummy.
I don't take him for a dummy. If you are referring to the pizza venture then I believe it further strengthens my point. Restaurants are almost certain to lose money short term, a GUARANTEED $5m would make a huge difference short term to something like that.

I'm not suggesting that walking away would make Drury destitute, but I can't see any reason why he would.

Old
04-24-2011, 05:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
I don't take him for a dummy. If you are referring to the pizza venture then I believe it further strengthens my point. Restaurants are almost certain to lose money short term, a GUARANTEED $5m would make a huge difference short term to something like that.
There's the pizza restaurant. There's smart investing... After hockey, there's coaching opportunities, there's broadcasting. Look at Kevin Weekes... The guy was a marginal back-up goalie and now he's doing very well for himself working for the NHL as a commentator and doing an excellent job at it....

Quote:
I'm not suggesting that walking away would make Drury destitute, but I can't see any reason why he would.
Because he's old and injured and his play has deteriorated to the point where his contributions aren't even worth a 25% of his cap hit. Does he feel deserving of that money just because he signed the contract despite not being able to play anywhere close to not only external expectations, but also his own expectations for himself as a professional hockey player? Does he want to be remembered as that guy who limped through the last 2 years of his contract when it's been evident he can't compete anymore?

Last edited by wolfgaze: 04-24-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old
04-24-2011, 06:01 PM
mike14

Quote:
There's the pizza restaurant. There's smart investing... After hockey, there's coaching opportunities, there's broadcasting. Look at Kevin Weekes... The guy was a marginal back-up goalie and now he's doing very well for himself working for the NHL as a commentator and doing an excellent job at it....

Because he's old and injured and his play has deteriorated to the point where his play isn't even worth a 25% of his cap hit. Does he feel deserving of that money just because he signed the contract despite not being able to play anywhere close to not only external expectations, but also his own expectations for himself as a professional hockey player? Does he want to be remembered as that guy who limped through the last 2 years of his contract when it's pretty evident he can't compete anymore?
Yeah still can't see the good reason. Both parties knew the dangers of signing a player to a long term contract and yet both parties still signed, so yes I'd say he feels he deserved the money. I also don't think he cares all that much about how people he's never met remember him. It will come down to him and his family and I think they'll be proud of him regardless and he'll remember the good times and championship teams.

Of course there are other revenue streams available, but maybe his big plan is to never work again after retiring from hockey....

Old
04-24-2011, 06:05 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

Because he's old and injured and his play has deteriorated to the point where his play isn't even worth a 25% of his cap hit. Does he feel deserving of that money just because he signed the contract despite not being able to play anywhere close to not only external expectations, but also his own expectations for himself as a professional hockey player? Does he want to be remembered as that guy who limped through the last 2 years of his contract when it's pretty evident he can't compete anymore?
You seem to be assuming that Drury himself believes he can't compete anymore. Of course he doesn't want to be remembered for awful play at the end of his career, which is why he's probably going to do everything in his power to try to prove he can still play. Like you said...it's called pride.

I've seen nothing that indicates Drury feels he is done. This idea of him retiring is just wishful thinking, there is no way it actually happens.

NHL contracts are guaranteed. When a guy signs a deal, all you can then ask him to do is try his best. The Drury deal has proven to be a disaster for the team, but I don't think anyone can accuse Chris of not giving it 100%. He doesn't owe anything else to the organization or the fans. I'm so sick of the "integrity" crap I keep reading. The NHL is a business, the Rangers signed a stupid contract and got burned. Drury wouldn't and shouldn't walk away from the last year of his deal.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:08 PM
mike14

nyr2k2

I'd like to thank you for saying far more eloquently what I was trying to say....

Old
04-24-2011, 06:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Yeah still can't see the good reason. Both parties knew the dangers of signing a player to a long term contract and yet both parties still signed, so yes I'd say he feels he deserved the money.
No, he's entitled to the money.... How can he be deserving of it if he can't keep up and compete? Do you believe a player's responsibility to perform ends the day the contract is signed? If so, I guess every player in the league is deserving of their salary regardless of what they do on the ice.... That's a tough concept to grasp.

Quote:
I also don't think he cares all that much about how people he's never met remember him. It will come down to him and his family and I think they'll be proud of him regardless and he'll remember the good times and championship teams.
People he never met? We're talking about his image and reputation in professional hockey. Not some fans on a message board. You don't think these athletes pay any attention to their images/reputations within professional hockey outside of what their friends & families think?

Quote:
Of course there are other revenue streams available, but maybe his big plan is to never work again after retiring from hockey....
Doubtful considering he's already involved in running a business outside of hockey.