HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Victoria Leaving For WHL? What Would This Mean For The Future of The West/ECHL?

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2011, 02:53 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny8242 View Post
I would take ECHL or WHL over AHL anytime. Too many teams in the AHL are just out there with crappy rosters trying to develop a couple players for the NHL winning takes a back seat at times. ECHL is a developmental league but the teams care about winning because they are only getting a few prospects.
I guess to me the ECHL and AHL isn't all that different anymore in operation or so much in talent. But one real difference is for the most part the ECHL team gets to pick it's roster for the large part while the AHL team i they are lucky get to pick their vets. I think both leagues have become mostly boring to watch, they aren't very physical, etc.

Old
04-12-2011, 07:42 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Days of the ECHL West could be numbered:

http://www.americanjuniorhockey.com/...?news_id=73052

Old
04-19-2011, 07:56 AM
billycanuck

Press conference scheduled for tomorrow to make official announcement of relocation.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/e...285/story.html

Salmon Kings players make plea with fans to show up to show support for last season. Tickets for playoffs are selling for $5, $10, and $15!
http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...#ixzz1Jy6Awr4A

Now the big question: What will happen to the Salmon Kings? I was hoping they would move into Chilliwack, but looks like a WHL team is on the move there.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:15 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

I have a hunch that they will be like the Charlotte Checkers(without the AHL move up) in the sense nothing happens with the franchise and it returns to the league.

I wonder if they won it all if they could find a way to stay in the league?

Old
04-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post
Press conference scheduled for tomorrow to make official announcement of relocation.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/e...285/story.html

Salmon Kings players make plea with fans to show up to show support for last season. Tickets for playoffs are selling for $5, $10, and $15!
http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...#ixzz1Jy6Awr4A

Now the big question: What will happen to the Salmon Kings? I was hoping they would move into Chilliwack, but looks like a WHL team is on the move there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalsfan1 View Post
I have a hunch that they will be like the Charlotte Checkers(without the AHL move up) in the sense nothing happens with the franchise and it returns to the league.

I wonder if they won it all if they could find a way to stay in the league?
Reminds me of Major League:

Old
04-20-2011, 03:32 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Apparently they are VERY BORED people in Victoria. They held a poll on whether fans wanted them in the WHL or ECHL thinking that it would have an impact on the decision!

http://www.cfax1070.com/

The poll is no longer on there, but here were the results:

A WHL team - 34.6%
An ECHL team - 65.4%
Total votes: 462

Old
04-20-2011, 11:30 PM
billycanuck

I guy at work mentioned this idea so I cannot take claim for it... but he mentioned that with all the possible team shuffling we could see with the Coyotes moving to Winnipeg, how about this:

Phoenix (NHL) -> Winnipeg
Manitoba (AHL) -> Saskatoon
Saskatoon (WHL) -> Chilliwack
Chilliwack (WHL) -> Victoria
Victoria (ECHL) -> Phoenix

Old
04-21-2011, 12:04 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I guy at work mentioned this idea so I cannot take claim for it... but he mentioned that with all the possible team shuffling we could see with the Coyotes moving to Winnipeg, how about this:

Phoenix (NHL) -> Winnipeg
Manitoba (AHL) -> Saskatoon
Saskatoon (WHL) -> Chilliwack
Chilliwack (WHL) -> Victoria
Victoria (ECHL) -> Phoenix
Can't the Manitoba AHL franchise stay in Manitoba?

Phoenix in the ECHL? With how the ECHL West looks so uncertain I wouldn't bite for that AND Phoenix had ECHL hockey awhile back and it wasn't a draw.

Old
04-21-2011, 01:11 AM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Can't the Manitoba AHL franchise stay in Manitoba?

Phoenix in the ECHL? With how the ECHL West looks so uncertain I wouldn't bite for that AND Phoenix had ECHL hockey awhile back and it wasn't a draw.
Rumblings out here about Victoria maybe going to Fresno. We'll see what happens.

Old
04-21-2011, 06:51 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
Rumblings out here about Victoria maybe going to Fresno. We'll see what happens.
Fresno coming BACK? I thought that city was kind of dirt poor and thats why the Falcons left town?

Old
04-21-2011, 09:12 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

I doubt a minor league team in Phoenix would survive; there have been two ECHL/similar league incarnations in Phoenix that didn't succeed.

Especially if the City of Glendale thinks they can have a minor league team as their major/anchor tenant at Jobing.com

Old
04-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
I doubt a minor league team in Phoenix would survive; there have been two ECHL/similar league incarnations in Phoenix that didn't succeed.

Especially if the City of Glendale thinks they can have a minor league team as their major/anchor tenant at Jobing.com
I disagree; I think they could sell an AHL team here.

A lot of people seem to think that Phoenix was a hockey desert before 1996. Those people have never heard of the original Phoenix Roadrunners, apparently...

Old
04-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post

A lot of people seem to think that Phoenix was a hockey desert before 1996. Those people have never heard of the original Phoenix Roadrunners, apparently...
I agree but I don't think it would work at Jobing.com. It would need to go back downtown. I think the AHL would work better than the ECHL would. I would actually like to see the AHL in Boise rather than the ECHL as well. I think in the non-traditional hockey markets there needs to be a closer link to the NHL. Fans want to be able to follow their players to the "big leagues" but don't have the commitment to follow them through another few years in another minor league. They lose track of them and then don't follow them when they do finally reach the NHL. I notice here that when a Boise State football player goes to the NFL people instantly become fans of that NFL team. They follow them and talk about them and whine when they aren't on local tv. Casual fans need more of an instant gratification and the ECHL just doesn't give them that.

Old
04-21-2011, 12:23 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post

Even with $1-2m extra in travel charges from the league?

(BTW, if you have links to "reopen" a thread, PM them to me.)

Old
04-21-2011, 12:26 PM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

Move the Suns into Jobing.com, move the new ECHL team into US Airways Center. OR move the Moose franchise to Phoenix to take up either arena.

If the Coyotes do come to Winnipeg, I doubt they team would remain in Manitoba (definitely not in the same rink). Brandon has a facility that could house a pro team, but I doubt the Wheat Kings would move.

Victoria won in OT, now lead the series 3-0. Could move on with a victory Friday. Would be interesting if they won the league!

Old
04-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Fresno coming BACK? I thought that city was kind of dirt poor and thats why the Falcons left town?
Falcons major issue was getting into an arena contract they couldn't afford. Fresno has had some sort of minor league hockey at Selland Arena since the mid 70's. When they tried to upgrade their facilities by moving to Save-Mart Center they couldn't afford the lease increase and folded mid-season. Selland certainly isn't plush but they might be able to make it fly there again. A lot may depend on how the ECHL West shakes out however. Victoria going dormant may put a real dagger in the whole thing and open the west up to the AHL. The next 2 years may see a whole lot of changes to the hockey landscape in the west.

Old
04-21-2011, 01:52 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Move the Suns into Jobing.com, move the new ECHL team into US Airways Center. OR move the Moose franchise to Phoenix to take up either arena.

If the Coyotes do come to Winnipeg, I doubt they team would remain in Manitoba (definitely not in the same rink). Brandon has a facility that could house a pro team, but I doubt the Wheat Kings would move.

Victoria won in OT, now lead the series 3-0. Could move on with a victory Friday. Would be interesting if they won the league!
11 seconds in too, I wonder if thats a record?

But anyway, my knowledge of the US Airways is minimal, i'll grant you that, so that leads me to pose the question....do you think the Suns would want to move? would it be beneficial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
Falcons major issue was getting into an arena contract they couldn't afford. Fresno has had some sort of minor league hockey at Selland Arena since the mid 70's. When they tried to upgrade their facilities by moving to Save-Mart Center they couldn't afford the lease increase and folded mid-season. Selland certainly isn't plush but they might be able to make it fly there again. A lot may depend on how the ECHL West shakes out however. Victoria going dormant may put a real dagger in the whole thing and open the west up to the AHL. The next 2 years may see a whole lot of changes to the hockey landscape in the west.
replied to the wrong post of yours by accident, but I could definitely see the Steelheads going to the AHL if the ECHL West were to disappear.

Old
04-21-2011, 03:02 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

So this is why Chilliwack had to relocate:

http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/news/...362/story.html

Old
04-21-2011, 06:20 PM
billycanuck

Quote:
Gaetz said that Bruin president Darryl Porter came to city council in December with the request for $175,000 a year "to help the team exist."

Read more: http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/City+...#ixzz1KCd1RyBj
I probably would have told Porter to take a hike too. The Bruins attendance wasn't terrible, but could've been improved. But what were they expecting? Sellouts every game? Porter was just looking for an excuse to sell the team.

Old
04-23-2011, 12:29 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Victoria Wins 2-1 in 2OT.

Adam Taylor 48 seconds in. They are going to the Western Conference Finals to face Alaska, both teams swept this round.

Old
04-24-2011, 06:59 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Closed until there's a mainstream news article.

Closed Thread