HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bertuzzi provides a big hint for Holland

Old
04-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I think we've seen comments like this every season and it never is any less hollow. Wanting to see a style of play or player is not the same thing as it being necessary.

A good mix of skill and toughness is needed, Detroit has that mix.
Though part of it's been guys bringing it a bit harder than expected (Bertuzzi, mainly, though Ericsson has upped the grit, too).

04-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Though part of it's been guys bringing it a bit harder than expected (Bertuzzi, mainly, though Ericsson has upped the grit, too).
Right, but it shouldn't be that unexpected seeing as the Wings have routinely upped their physicality down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Right, but it shouldn't be that unexpected seeing as the Wings have routinely upped their physicality down the stretch and into the playoffs.
They do, but I also wasn't sure some players physically had it in them. I figured they either wouldn't (Ericsson) or had bodies that wouldn't allow them to (Bert, Homer, Cleary, Eaves).

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:36 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
So by "loading up on meat and potato players," you mean having Dallas Drake on the roster.

Downey and McCarty did nothing in that run.
Yeah pretty much. Youre going on making it sound like the wings never have tough players after the lockout and that they have some big winning track record without tough guys.

Noone on this Detroit team hits like Drake did on that cup run, he was an absolute beast, he could also fight pretty well. Mccarty was in the lineup, even in the finals that year.

Say what you want about the wings not needing otugh players, but dont go on saying they win with teams that dont have a real bruiser or 2. They never have. People can speculate all they want about how thats not the reason they won but bottom line is that the one time theyve won since the lockout was with a MUCH tougher team than they have had in the last little while.

I would say Drake throwing huge hits and playing tough hockey was a huge part of that cup run.

I agree Mac didn't do a whole lot that playoff, but he was still a physical presence out there and bottom line was in the lineup instead of having guys who provide nothing to the line up like Drew Miller does

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:22 PM
RaySheppard

Quote:
I don't know.. I haven't seen the Wings willing to sacrafice their bodies with the shot blocking etc..we saw in the first round in a few years. I hope guys like Filp and Hud's are committed. With everyone on board..we do have a good shot this year.

RaySheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
I agree Mac didn't do a whole lot that playoff, but he was still a physical presence out there and bottom line was in the lineup instead of having guys who provide nothing to the line up like Drew Miller does
Not really. Miller at least kills penalties. McCarty got pinned in his own zone virtually every time he was on the ice.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:42 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Noone on this Detroit team hits like Drake did on that cup run, he was an absolute beast, he could also fight pretty well. Mccarty was in the lineup, even in the finals that year.
I agree that Drake was awesome in the playoffs that year, but, per usual, you're giving it too much significance.

And of course I recognize there is certainly a quality over quantity component to this game, but here's some food for thought:

2007-2008 Playoffs:

1. Stuart - 59 hits in 22 games
2. Datsyuk - 56 hits in 22 games
3. Drake - 48 hits in 22 games (11.5 minute TOI average)
4. Homer - 45 hits in 22 games

Again, I understand the importance of quality over quantity when it comes to hits, but at what point does quantity become more important?

At this point?

2008-2009 Playoffs:

1. Darren Helm - 118 hits in 23 games. (12 min. TOI average)

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:50 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySheppard View Post
I don't know.. I haven't seen the Wings willing to sacrafice their bodies with the shot blocking etc..we saw in the first round in a few years. I hope guys like Filp and Hud's are committed. With everyone on board..we do have a good shot this year.
Interesting you should say that.

In the 2008 Playoffs, 2 players averaged 1 BS per game or more: Brad Stuart had 28 BS in 21 games; Lidstrom had 23 BS in 22 games.

This year, we had 8 players who averaged 1 BS per game or more in the 1st round. Ruslan Salei and Nik Kronwall both averaged 2+ BS per game.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:14 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
I agree that Drake was awesome in the playoffs that year, but, per usual, you're giving it too much significance.

And of course I recognize there is certainly a quality over quantity component to this game, but here's some food for thought:

2007-2008 Playoffs:

1. Stuart - 59 hits in 22 games
2. Datsyuk - 56 hits in 22 games
3. Drake - 48 hits in 22 games (11.5 minute TOI average)
4. Homer - 45 hits in 22 games

Again, I understand the importance of quality over quantity when it comes to hits, but at what point does quantity become more important?

At this point?

2008-2009 Playoffs:

1. Darren Helm - 118 hits in 23 games. (12 min. TOI average)
That 08 team also had Kronwall killing guys left and right which he never does anymore.

Without a doubt that team was the most physical we have had post lockout and I think there is no coincidence that they happened to win that year.

Anyone can say I'm giving Drake too much credit, but the fact of the matter is they had more tough people (Drake, Mccarty), they had Helm playing with no real responsibilities except to go out there 10 mins a game and run everything that moves with his speed which he doesnt do anymore, Kronwalls highlighht reel from that playoffs alone is probably bigger than all the games combined hes played since, and they overall played a tougher style of hockey because of their personnel. When you have a guy like Drake who was absolutely demolishing guys, or Kronwall it lights a fire under other players ***** to do the same.

Now the wings have always been tops of the league, but the one time they were also pretty tough to go along with their skill they win a cup easily.

People here love to say it has nothing to do with it but wheres all our other cups when we've won the presidents trophy or been near the top of the league with no guys willing to throw the hits, sacrifice the body or wear down the other team with physical play?

Detroit always gets warn down over the course of the playoffs, in 08 they wore down other teams, this has a huge affect on games. Think Robidas was taking as much time with the puck after Drake got ahold of him a few times? I sure dont

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Yemack

Drake was absolutely huge in that run.

Datsyuk can hit guys 10 times but it will have less effect than Drake delivering 1 bone crushing morale buster that's coming at you like a heat seeking missile.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote