HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Gaborik.

Old
04-24-2011, 12:17 PM
NikC

vCash: 500
Gaborik stays. We all saw what he could do last season. He needs to be complimented with other players that can set him up. There needs to be an increase in overall offensive talent to help Gaborik out!

he showed us what he could do last season. There has to have been a lingering issue with his shoulder/groin this season that hampered him, because he just wasn't the same player. He was afraid to push himself.

One player, regardless of how good he is, should not have to shoulder the entire offensive burden of a hockey team. i don't believe management set out to create this scenario, but nevertheless it exists, and he needs this support.

We relied far too much on younger players to be go to guys, because we had no other alternatives. Sather is going to have to be creative in finding ways to sign and trade for additional talent to play with Gaborik.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:00 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

A healthy Gaborik + Richards will = career year for Gaborik. I don't think he's ever played with anyone as talented as Richards in his entire career including the Olympic games.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:02 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
A healthy Gaborik + Richards will = career year for Gaborik. I don't think he's ever played with anyone as talented as Richards in his entire career including the Olympic games.
As great as it sounds to put them together, Gaborik had Mikko Koivu in Minnesota and he could NOT play with him for ****. He is a very odd player in the fact that he plays best with a player who can set him up, and yet he likes to have the puck quite a bit.

Its a real assumption that Richards and Gaborik would have chemistry.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Not only that possibility, but I always believed to succeed your most important position is to have a solid 1st line center. I'm not trying to sound like a broken record and be obvious of the Rangers needs.

Gaborik wouldn't be the only one benifiting. The other winger on those two's line would reap the open space and set-ups by Gaborik and Richards. I'd love to see Dubi on the left wing with those two.

When you have a playmaking center, it makes the whole team better. It relieves the responsibilies of what other players might have to do that aren't yet fit for the job. It makes the rest of the lines dangerous.

Give Gaborik one more year, with or without Richards.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Fair enough.

48 points in 62 games is not well-over a PPG. In fact it's much less. 1 goal in his last 55 shots which includes games down the stretch and the playoffs when the team needed him most and, most importantly, when the light shines the brightest.

I have no problem with people trusting their gut and not looking at the facts, but don't tell me he's a force at $7.5mil when he's an absolute no show for the last month of the season.
For someone who accuses people of ignoring the facts, you certainly ignore a considerable amount of them.

Even with a lousy year offensively, he's still at nearly a point-per-game in his tenure here. He's an elite offensive talent, but there's a vast difference between elite offensive talent, and the player who can put the team on their shoulders offensively in the post-season. Gaborik can't do it all alone.

You want to criticize him for 6 weeks of poor play, that's fine -- that's your prerogative and we all know how you love to harp on the team when they're down -- but some of us realize that the worst sample you can find, isn't necessarily the best way to measure a players worth. I think we'll just leave it at that.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:19 PM
John Torturella

You really cant factor Richards into whether or not you trade Gaborik. There are too many factors involved. Ideally, you would like to trade Gaborik at the draft, before you could sign Richards.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:47 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
You really cant factor Richards into whether or not you trade Gaborik. There are too many factors involved. Ideally, you would like to trade Gaborik at the draft, before you could sign Richards.
incorrect. ideally you free up room and have gaborik play with richards.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:54 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
incorrect. ideally you free up room and have gaborik play with richards.
obviously my comment was made assuming we trade him. if you trade him, its before/at the draft.

Old
04-24-2011, 09:08 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
obviously my comment was made assuming we trade him. if you trade him, its before/at the draft.
you make it sound like in order to sign richards, gaborik has to go. which is not the case

Old
04-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Vitto79

so gabs is playing for Slovakia. must not be hurt in any way........I guess he just sucked it up being healthy, no exuses

pretty confident he will bounce back especially with Richards at C. Getter done

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

We can't trade Gabby because he CAN be the player we need. No one like him, with his scoring potential will be available for awhile.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:52 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
you make it sound like in order to sign richards, gaborik has to go. which is not the case
No where did I say that. Stop making things up or work on your reading comprehension.

Old
04-24-2011, 11:10 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
We can't trade Gabby because he CAN be the player we need. No one like him, with his scoring potential will be available for awhile.
Yeah I agree. Players of that caliber are not easy to get your hands on, even after a down year.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so gabs is playing for Slovakia. must not be hurt in any way........I guess he just sucked it up being healthy, no exuses
Good point... I guess that squashes that rumor about him planning on having knee surgery once the off-season started...

I agree with you that he was likely healthy and slumping for us and that he could bounce back to last season's form. We really need him to.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:22 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
No where did I say that. Stop making things up or work on your reading comprehension.
ugh relax.

no where did i say you said that. i said you make it sound like. you work on your reading comprehension.

in your own words you said ideally we trade gaborik and then sign richards. to me that means you think we need to get rid of gaborik in order to sign him. if i interpreted that wrong oh well i dont really care. be more clear.

if you reply, i know its difficult but try to speak about the topic instead of trying to get nasty and fail.

Old
04-25-2011, 10:34 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
He may have had some good years but hes been finished for a few years regardless of points.
so you'd rather have a guy who skates fast, has a great shot but doesnt produce anything vs. the guy who actually puts up points?

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Good point... I guess that squashes that rumor about him planning on having knee surgery once the off-season started...

I agree with you that he was likely healthy and slumping for us and that he could bounce back to last season's form. We really need him to.
When I first read that he was playing for Slovakia I was upset but maybe if he performs well, it will boost his confidence.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:54 AM
slipknottin

I want Gabby traded to the Kings for Simmonds + Clifford and/or Penner.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
I want Gabby traded to the Kings for Simmonds + Clifford and/or Penner.
Simmonds and Clifford just add to our log jam of 2nd line players. You need to target a guy like Brown and a prospect if dealing with LA. Brown would fit this system and while he isn't Gaborik he brings more to the table than the players you mentiond.

I have to agree with Fitzy in that this Rangers system really stifled Gaboriks production. If this team plans on staying with this style of play then he should be moved.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:01 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Simmonds and Clifford just add to our log jam of 2nd line players.
Id rather have a bunch of 2nd liners than a 1st liner who doesnt score for months.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:15 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Id rather have a bunch of 2nd liners than a 1st liner who doesnt score for months.
Simmonds and clifford are 2nd liners? With their combined 44 points in 156 games?

Oh and if you hate disappearing acts you're gonna LOVE dustin penner

Old
04-25-2011, 12:16 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
So Gaborik has one great year with us where people laud him and he has one down year and people want him gone.

You don't trade Gaborik. First of all who the hell is NYR going to get for him? Who wants him? Theres no doubt that if Gaborik were on the block that Sather would be asking for a return that very few, if any, teams would be willing to pay. Making a trade in the NHL can take awhile to develop and when a high profile player like Gaborik is involved, it takes even longer to do anything. Gaborik is going no where, nor should he.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:18 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
Simmonds and clifford are 2nd liners? With their combined 44 points in 156 games?

Oh and if you hate disappearing acts you're gonna LOVE dustin penner
Considering one is 22 and the other is a 20 year old rookie... they will be.

Guess who has more points in the playoffs? Gaborik or Simmonds? Gaborik or Clifford?

Simmonds at least works hard every game.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:20 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Considering one is 22 and the other is a 20 year old rookie... they will be.

Guess who has more points in the playoffs? Gaborik or Simmonds? Gaborik or Clifford?

Simmonds at least works hard every game.
never heard of a sample size have you? 5 games in the playoffs and now Simmonds/Clifford are super clutch playoff performers. Yes they're better than Gaborik now.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:20 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

As much as I can't stand Gaborik, we can't trade him.

We NEED scoring, and unless Sather pulls out a miracle trade for some serious up and coming-scorer(s), then we need him here to attract Richards. Otherwise, who is Richards going to pass to?

If we do sign Richards and it doesn't work out with Gaborik, well, then...you might as well trade Lundqvist, also, because the whole $hithouse is going up in flames.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote