HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coaching Discussion

Old
04-24-2011, 06:40 PM
cheap77
Go Kings!

vCash: 500
I hope Murray doesn't get fired. I feel he is a pretty good coach.

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:17 PM
regulate

They should hire John Galt.

regulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:45 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Because it's Winnipeg
Right I forgot, no coaches came the last time Winnipeg had a team either.

I love how some Kings fans get upset that LA gets no respect in the hockey realm, yet have no problems taking shots at other cities.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I doubt very seriously he gets fired and if he is I think the whole staff may go. I could not foresee Stevens stepping in, if he stays it'll be in the same position. Willie Desjardins is in line for a gig. I like how people frustrated with lack of open play and offensive develop would begin to consider championing Hitchcock for the gig. I like Hitch, but if that's what you're after, he won't deliver it.

Bottom line is that players like playing for Murray and he's in tight with the management. So he is not going to get canned.

04-24-2011, 08:52 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post

You have obviously never been to Winnipeg. If you had, that question would have answered itself for you.
I love people who assume, yet can't do the simple task of reading where a poster is from.

I live in Manitoba and frequent Winnipeg regularly as well as having family in the city. I've also attended games at the MTS Centre for the Manitoba Moose so I'm very familiar with what the arena and surrounding landscape can provide for the team and the fans.

So no, the question doesn't answer itself. Winnipeg is a lovely hockey city, just gets quite cold in the winter.

Dumb@$$ comments like these are why the rest of the hockey world thinks Kings fans know zilch about hockey. Sometimes I don't blame them for thinking that.

Old
04-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I think Sutter would jump at the chance to coach a young and talented team. The Kings would be a nice project for him.
Sutter is a helluva coach but I feel like that would be a lateral move. Also, consider momentum, in sum Murray has done a solid job in his tenure here, whereas Sutter is coming off an atrocious bungling of, well, everything in Calgary. Sure, he was solid coaching the club but his time as GM screams "take a little time off" to me. He REALLY muffed those trades last year and wound up assembling a team where none of the pieces up front fit together.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
They left off Manon Rheaume.

I just want to be able to go to a King game flirt with her or try to anyways.

Manon, Je vous respecte en tant qu'un joueur et entraîneur et ai une question pour vous. Si j'avais des quelques plus de dents me donneriez-vous un baiser?

Then I will pull my bridges out of my pocket and pucker up!

Boughner

Tippet

Carbs

and a handful of Russian's.
LMAO, my French is just OK enough to have caught that, pretty funny!

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
Firing Murray after what he's accomplished over the last 2 years would be a slap in the face.
Exactly. Murray has taken the Kings to the playoffs 2 times in the past 3 seasons. I don't see him getting fired. If we miss the playoffs or get knocked out in the 1st round next year, possibly then.

Murray spent almost 5 seasons as head coach in Washington, 3 in Philly, 3 in Florida...this will be his 3rd in LA.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:53 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Exactly. Murray has taken the Kings to the playoffs 2 times in the past 3 seasons. I don't see him getting fired. If we miss the playoffs or get knocked out in the 1st round next year, possibly then.
This, though I would change possibly to probably, especially if we miss the playoffs. Everyone has been saying next year is our year to make a big push, and I think TM gets to at least have a chance next season regardless of what happens this year.

Old
04-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Canucks might have an opening soon.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Fripp

There's tons of great coaches in junior, AHL, college - there's zero need for an NHL retread stuck in the past.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:54 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Canucks might have an opening soon.
I couldn't believe they didn't start Luongo. Two bad games, I agree, but could you imagine if we didn't start Quick in game five because he allowed 12 goals in two games?

We'd be on the golf course right now.

Old
04-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Duc620

Except for some fans who are bored with non flashy defensive system and angry about the perennial ups and downs of power plays (power plays are naturally streaky) - there is no sound reason to fire TM or this staff. They've brought structure and discipline to a historically weak and disorganized franchise. All they've done is make the players on this team play hard for each other and be responsible and successful.

Bad time to be changing coaches and doing it now would be a bad move. Maybe, two, two and half years from now if they lose in first round again and then start the following season flat. Then you'd make the change around Nov / Dec. 2013.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:50 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Except for some fans who are bored with non flashy defensive system and angry about the perennial ups and downs of power plays (power plays are naturally streaky) - there is no sound reason to fire TM or this staff. They've brought structure and discipline to a historically weak and disorganized franchise. All they've done is make the players on this team play hard for each other and be responsible and successful.

Bad time to be changing coaches and doing it now would be a bad move. Maybe, two, two and half years from now if they lose in first round again and then start the following season flat. Then you'd make the change around Nov / Dec. 2013.
With all my complaining about TM I can see the logic in what you are saying and am not completely on the other side of the fence in some ways. I am waiting until the end of the playoffs to discuss it but you are one of the people I look forward to debating the merits of what we should do about our coaching situation.

I am not someone who is bored with our defencive system at all or the Power Play because I see these two things as being effected by a third and more significant set of problems.

It should be a fun debate and I am looking forward to it.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:59 AM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

The only one I want to see fired/reassigned this offseason is Kompon. That PP should have been better with the talent available.

Murray has got another year.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:03 AM
Moses Doughty
Long term bandwagons

Please fire Kompon NOW

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:28 AM
CNS
A World Alone

I think my top 3 would be Stevens, DeBoeur (sp?) and Boughner in no particular order. Hoping like hell though that Murray and Kompon get **** canned. At least Kompon. Please?

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 08:52 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
Please fire Kompon NOW
I don't see an argument why he should be kept as a coach. 5 minute major, carried over to a fresh sheet of ice in OT, still 2 stationary point men who do not have shots capable of making it to the net without a CLEAR lane that doesn't exist in the NHL anymore. Absolutely zero change on the strategy the entire season despite the fact that you have 3 dmen capable of attacking the back door. Kompon has to be fired and Murray has to be talked to Lombardi to ease the offensive restrictions. Like most have said I understand the system and what it's meant to do but there are times of the game where you need to change it up on the other team and the coach. The Kings have to be incredibly easy to coach against, that needs to be changed.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 09:37 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

I would love Kirk Muller, he's going to be a solid head coach. I wouldn't mind John Stevens either but my picks are Boughner, Muller, Tocchet, Granato or Stevens

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:35 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I don't see an argument why he should be kept as a coach. 5 minute major, carried over to a fresh sheet of ice in OT, still 2 stationary point men who do not have shots capable of making it to the net without a CLEAR lane that doesn't exist in the NHL anymore. Absolutely zero change on the strategy the entire season despite the fact that you have 3 dmen capable of attacking the back door. Kompon has to be fired and Murray has to be talked to Lombardi to ease the offensive restrictions. Like most have said I understand the system and what it's meant to do but there are times of the game where you need to change it up on the other team and the coach. The Kings have to be incredibly easy to coach against, that needs to be changed.
Tikkanen,

A few points, a PP carrying over to the next period, absolutely sucks balls!, fresh sheet of ice, yes, but it takes 30sec to a minute just to get back into the flow it, I've always hated the late PPs that split into two periods.

Second, offensive restrictions, there are not offensive restrictions, Murray isn't telling the forwards not to drive the net, not to shoot, not to pass, etc, he is telling them to be defensively aware at all times, that's a huge difference.

The F3 forward is positioned in the high slot for a reason, A) if he gets open, it's prime scoring position, and B) if there's a giveaway, he is in prime defensive position, it's a sound strategy that pays off in the long run.

The PP absolutely needs to be revamped, I like the way it is now, ie, getting shots through from the points and digging, but when it becomes obvious that is covered, they absolutely HAVE to be able to switch it to a down low cycle, where they can attack the net from the corner..

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The only one I want to see fired/reassigned this offseason is Kompon. That PP should have been better with the talent available.

Murray has got another year.
This. A thousand times this. There's no way it should've been as bad as it was.

The Kings don't have a ton of offensive talent, but that power play should've been much better than it was. It was brutal to watch and seemed like they didn't even have set plays out there.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Saving Greiss
Trade Malkin???

As a third party viewer, I see a team that...

Dealt with a severe injury to arguably their best player
Was a 7th seeded Kings losing in 6 (commendable) to a 2nd seeded Sharks.
Was still developing (though that label should be removed next season)
Had Ponikarovsky (not a real reason, but I like dogging him)

Keeping those things in mind, I wouldn't fire Murray... yet.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan2008 View Post
As a third party viewer, I see a team that...

Dealt with a severe injury to arguably their best player
Was a 7th seeded Kings losing in 6 (commendable) to a 2nd seeded Sharks.
Was still developing (though that label should be removed next season)
Had Ponikarovsky (not a real reason, but I like dogging him)

Keeping those things in mind, I wouldn't fire Murray... yet.
I agree. But this loss is tougher to swallow than I thought. I had low expectations headed into this series when Kopitar went down, but they were in these games. It wasn't a lack of scoring like I expected, it was a lack of poise under pressure. They're young, so that'll come in time. But they had great opportunities to win one or two games that they didn't.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Tikkanen,

A few points, a PP carrying over to the next period, absolutely sucks balls!, fresh sheet of ice, yes, but it takes 30sec to a minute just to get back into the flow it, I've always hated the late PPs that split into two periods.

Second, offensive restrictions, there are not offensive restrictions, Murray isn't telling the forwards not to drive the net, not to shoot, not to pass, etc, he is telling them to be defensively aware at all times, that's a huge difference.

The F3 forward is positioned in the high slot for a reason, A) if he gets open, it's prime scoring position, and B) if there's a giveaway, he is in prime defensive position, it's a sound strategy that pays off in the long run.

The PP absolutely needs to be revamped, I like the way it is now, ie, getting shots through from the points and digging, but when it becomes obvious that is covered, they absolutely HAVE to be able to switch it to a down low cycle, where they can attack the net from the corner..
Agree with what you wrote and well written. But, did I read that right? "They absolutely HAVE to be able to switch it to a down low cycle..." Cycle? I thought there was no such thing as a cycle on the PP? I am ****ing with you, don't take it too seriously.

The end result was all but predestined when we didn't score on the 5 minute major, which ironically didn't even think should have been a major.

You could write a script to these things in hockey.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:44 AM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepsts View Post
I agree. But this loss is tougher to swallow than I thought. I had low expectations headed into this series when Kopitar went down, but they were in these games. It wasn't a lack of scoring like I expected, it was a lack of poise under pressure. They're young, so that'll come in time. But they had great opportunities to win one or two games that they didn't.
This touches on the more important question - Is TM the coach that has the ability to take this team to the next level?

IMO, no

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote