HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryzgalov to the Flyers

Old
04-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Devonator

vCash: 500
It's a fair question...I know overall Bryz has been solid...you could right off this performance perhaps due to the situation with the yotes as a whole...the fact is right now, is the best choice out there for us....and he will only be 31 this year as opposed to Vokoun who is 35.....put Bryz on our team with our defence and he would likely prosper!

Regardless, he is a far superior alternative to anything we have now....and perhaps he could also be a positive mentor to Bob!!!

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:12 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Does anyone think, even though Bryz really is good, that he might pull the same kind of performance he did this post-season?
It's possible he might pull that again, but Phoenix's defense was horrid, as many of the Coyotes fans have been saying on their board. You're not going to be in a good position when you're team is giving up odd man rushes to the likes of Pavel Datsyuk. With a stable defense in front of him, I could see him being excellent here. Don't forget that in '06 with the Ducks, he went 6-4 in 11 games with a 1.46 GAA and .944 SV%. I wouldn't be too concerned by his performance this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Please tell me you're joking.
Wish I could say I was...

"It's a tough situation. The D-man has to go up and block the puck, and he puts a little screen on me. I just caught it through him. The D has to do that, and it was just a lucky bounce right on the guy's tape."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'd add Toronto to that list, and possibly the Islanders, right after DiPietro's groin/back/leg/hand/appendix/earlobe injury in the pre-season. Long-shots are NJ, depending on what Brodeur does, and Anaheim, depending on if Hiller can shake his vertigo.
Brodeur sounds like he's going to retire after the 11-12 season, judging from his interviews. Makes sense for him to go out on a likely good note, as I expect the Devils to be back in the playoffs next year.

Islanders could possibly make a play for him, but I'd be surprised, given that they pretty much have to start DiPietro, as he's signed until 2021 and is healthy (for now). Plus they just extended Montoya for a year, and they still have Poulin on his ELC. If Bryzgalov gets to the preseason and DP gets injured, then we already know that we're not in the picture anyway.

Toronto could also make a play, but I fully expect them to throw everything they have at Brad Richards and go with Reimer in net with Gustavsson backing him up. Doesn't mean they couldn't trade Gustavsson and go for Bryzgalov as a contingency plan, but it's just a feeling I get.

Anaheim again could, especially if Hiller continues to struggle from vertigo, but I don't know if they'd be willing to go after a legit #1 on a multiyear deal when they are already paying their #1 now $4.5 million per year. Vertigo, to my knowledge, isn't really the type of injury that you get a clearcut diagnosis and recovery time estimate.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:44 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Does anyone think, even though Bryz really is good, that he might pull the same kind of performance he did this post-season?
With his track record you would hope not. He did not have a good series against Detroit and at 30 he may be looking for that last big contract and be to expensive for us. No matter where they play next year, I cannot see the yokes just let him walk. However I would like to see him in Black and Orange.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:15 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
Wish I could say I was...

"It's a tough situation. The D-man has to go up and block the puck, and he puts a little screen on me. I just caught it through him. The D has to do that, and it was just a lucky bounce right on the guy's tape."
Oh sweet Jesus. If it weren't for the defensemen saving his ass the rest of the time, the game wouldn't have gone to OT.

He needs to be kept away from this team. He doesn't deserve the chance he's been given, and then he ***** on his teammates? What a jerk.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:34 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Oh sweet Jesus. If it weren't for the defensemen saving his ass the rest of the time, the game wouldn't have gone to OT.

He needs to be kept away from this team. He doesn't deserve the chance he's been given, and then he ***** on his teammates? What a jerk.
He's never come across as a guy who would live and die for his teammates. Maybe it's because he's had to fight for a place in the league for so long but he's not someone I see in a mentor role, he hid his injury this summer and he blames his dman for the screen. Who kicked the rebound out?

I don't want Bryzgalov, either. He sucked in the playoffs and immediately said he wouldn't go to Winnipeg if the team moved there. If it's the KHL he wants, go for it! Bob will be just fine for next season and for the time being, we have a 2-3 goalie carousel. Bob has the right attitude and athleticism to do well and came a long way in such a short time. When you think back to September it really is amazing to see how far he's come.

In the grand scheme of things, look at all the goalies who have faltered in the playoffs: Luongo, Fleury, Thomas, Niemi have all either been pulled or have given up big goals. Yet everyone makes jokes about our goalies!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
He's never come across as a guy who would live and die for his teammates. Maybe it's because he's had to fight for a place in the league for so long but he's not someone I see in a mentor role, he hid his injury this summer and he blames his dman for the screen. Who kicked the rebound out?

I don't want Bryzgalov, either. He sucked in the playoffs and immediately said he wouldn't go to Winnipeg if the team moved there. If it's the KHL he wants, go for it! Bob will be just fine for next season and for the time being, we have a 2-3 goalie carousel. Bob has the right attitude and athleticism to do well and came a long way in such a short time. When you think back to September it really is amazing to see how far he's come.

In the grand scheme of things, look at all the goalies who have faltered in the playoffs: Luongo, Fleury, Thomas, Niemi have all either been pulled or have given up big goals. Yet everyone makes jokes about our goalies!
He definitely did nothing in the playoffs this year, but I can't really blame him for saying he wouldn't go to Winnipeg. He's always been brutally honest with the media; I doubt Doan and half of their free agents would stay on if the team moved to Winnipeg. Bob has been great for a rookie this year and has bailed the team out on more than one occasion, but he's still young, and he still needs to learn things. I don't want to risk him having a Steve Mason slump because this team needs to win in the next few years. Pronger's going to start going downhill at some point, and Kimmo (while still being the Flyers best defenseman in my eyes) will probably retire after this contract. We can't afford to be developing someone right now. If Bryz comes in and plays 50-60 games and Bob plays 20-30 while learning from Bryz, I think that'd be a great scenario, especially as Bob gets his conditioning up and gets taught to play a little bigger by Reese.

Luongo, Fleury, and Thomas have all been pulled, but they also are all capable of going on blistering runs. Our goalies aren't right now. Plus Luongo actually has a career GAA of around 2 against non-Blackhawks in the playoffs.

Those Thomas rumors last year just bug me now. That scenario would've been absolutely perfect.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
They'll be quicker to get after Giguere, I think. They want Bobrovksy to be the #1, which means they don't want someone else to be the #1.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:38 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
They'll be quicker to get after Giguere, I think. They want Bobrovksy to be the #1, which means they don't want someone else to be the #1.
I don't know if they wouldn't mind a 1A and 1B though.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

1A and 1B they can live with, because they always do. If you're signing Bryzgalov of Vokoun, you're doing it because you one goaltender to start 60 games.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:44 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
1A and 1B they can live with, because they always do. If you're signing Bryzgalov of Vokoun, you're doing it because you one goaltender to start 60 games.
I still think Versteeg for Schneider should be on the table. Frees up some cap in the process and maybe try to drive for Vrbata or something.

Got a few ideas in my head right now, that's all.

Old
04-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
I still think Versteeg for Schneider should be on the table. Frees up some cap in the process and maybe try to drive for Vrbata or something.

Got a few ideas in my head right now, that's all.
Doubt the Nucks take on the additional salary for Steeger

They need to resign Erhoff and will be putting there money towards him

If as GKJ says the Flyers plan to bring in a vet to be backup would Turco be an option?

Doesn't have alot left in tank IMO but his work with Crawford and Smith show him to be a great mentor.

I mean Giguere is pretty washed up so why not go for the guy who has proven track record helping young goalies

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:00 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Doubt the Nucks take on the additional salary for Steeger

They need to resign Erhoff and will be putting there money towards him

If as GKJ says the Flyers plan to bring in a vet to be backup would Turco be an option?

Doesn't have alot left in tank IMO but his work with Crawford and Smith show him to be a great mentor.

I mean Giguere is pretty washed up so why not go for the guy who has proven track record helping young goalies
If Turco was our backup, I'd rather have Boosh back.

Old
04-24-2011, 04:12 PM
7ytluom

Another goaltender that Philly might consider is Nabokov. He is in some kind of messed up situation between Detroit and NYI but he might become available. Also, maybe Turco from Chicago as he will become a free agent and could also play a solid backup role for Bobrovsky.

The cap situation is the only obstacle. Next season their cap hit is 44.1 mil. Not including Boucher, O'donnell, Leino, Powe, Nodl, Carcillo, and Zherdev.
They may not need to re-sign O'donnell because Syvret, and other guys coming up. They likely won't re-sign Zherdev and they don't really need to bring in anyone else with Rinaldo, and Wellwood coming up. If they go after a legitimate starting goalie they will most likely move someone if they get a cheaper goalie who will play 20-30 games they can probably fit him under the cap.

7ytluom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:46 PM
dats81

NO to Turco. He has nothing left in the tank.
Giguere might be available for cheap + he has won a cup and will not claim the Nr1 spot. He would not be much of an improvement over Boucher but I just can't stand Boosh any longer.

dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:09 PM
dookie88

Anyone else thinking that Minnesota might be ready to trade Backstrom?
If we could get him for Carle and Versteeg (which would roughly even out the cap-hits) would anyone do that?
Out of Bryzgalov, Vokoun and Backstrom, I like Backstrom the most.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Anyone else thinking that Minnesota might be ready to trade Backstrom?
If we could get him for Carle and Versteeg (which would roughly even out the cap-hits) would anyone do that?
Out of Bryzgalov, Vokoun and Backstrom, I like Backstrom the most.

Vokoun. He's played in the East for a while now and he's been a starter in the West. I like him the best of that list.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:18 PM
six sigma
Thank you Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ytluom View Post
Another goaltender that Philly might consider is Nabokov. He is in some kind of messed up situation between Detroit and NYI but he might become available.
If Bob is to be the man down the road, this is the way to go in my opinion. Makes a lot of sense from a "mentoring" standpoint, and the salary would be much easier to deal with.

And if Bob's not the guy, it will be interesting to see how the FO makes the cap space they need.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

am I the only one who doesn't understand why everyone wants bryz?

seriously, did anyone watch the phoenix/detroit series? he gave up goals as bad as any of the current flyers goalies let in.

Example: Goal by Franzen in game 1 (Skip to 2 minutes and 40 seconds for the goal).

Look at his playoff stats, too:
SV%: .879
GAA: 4.36

Now let's compare his stats to Boucher:
SV%: .929
GAA: 2.32

His stats during the regular season are okay at best but Ilya Bryzgalov played like absolute garbage which is why phoenix got swept. So can someone PLEASE tell me why so many people want him in net for the Flyers? Because I honestly can't understand why.

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:31 PM
six sigma
Thank you Kimmo

I watched some Yotes games during the season, and he usually looked great. Sometimes spectacular. Like I said in the other thread, the Wings series isn't indicative of how well he plays.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

I think it shows what kind of a goalie he is under pressure facing a good team, which is what playoff hockey is all about. Honestly, I'd take the chance on Bob's being a better goalie in the future over the chance on Bryz.

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:06 PM
MsWoof

I have no use for players who aren't team players or who are concerned with only themselves. He's made it quite well known that he won't go to Winnipeg if the Yotes move so who knows what else he's going to demand?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:12 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I was never a really BIG Bryz fan, and being honest, depending on pricing, I'd take a look at Vokoun first this summer. But you really cant compare Boosh's stats vs Bryz stats. Boosh is playing on a ALOT better overall team, vs a not as good team, when Bryz is playing on a average Yotes team vs a really good Wings team.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Flyerfan808

Holmgren will sign Michael Ryder instead.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:56 PM
FLYERSFAN18

I dont want him. If i remember correctly he and nabokov didnt play well in the olympics and that is another high pressure environment.

I really want vokoun. Has played well on a horrible team in the panthers. Trust me i live like 10 minutes from the panthers rink. And he did play well in the olympics czech republic.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:59 PM
hof2120

Why can't we just find our Fleury/Howard/Rinne? Is it honestly that ****ing hard.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote