HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Artem Anisimov

Old
04-24-2011, 03:31 PM
3Four3

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
60-70. Calling Anisimov a 50 point way center, while valuable, is an insult. His problem is one that every center wishes they had, he needs to bulk up. I love the Mikko Koivu comparisons, and I think Anisimov will be similar once he gets stronger.
Then what is that Russian anorexic cow waiting for?

Give him steak and eggs and let him do some squat thrusts.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:35 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
He gets 44 points his sophomore year on a horrible offensive team and his upside is 50-60 points?
Where do you see his upside?

EDIT: Didn't see your next post.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:37 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
out of curiousity... who do you think are our 50-60 point 2-way players?
Callahan, Dubinsky, Stepan, and hopefully Kreider in the next couple years.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Anisimov was fantastic in his own zone just about all season long.

His deep play in his own zone complements Dubinsky and Callahan well, as they are both deep forecheckers.

If we're picking between Anisimov and Stepan as to who will have the better NHL career I still take Artem.

04-24-2011, 03:50 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Where do you see his upside?

EDIT: Didn't see your next post.
Most Russian players have the talent but lack the mind. Anisimov has both, in flying colors. He's extremely talented and extremely smart. Physically he is behind, but let's not forget how tall he is. Big players always have trouble filling in. The Anisimov we saw after the trade deadline was a very good top 6 center, as a sophomore.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:50 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I want to keep Anisimov unless we are getting a 1st line player in return. He's shown good strides in his development and I think he's only getting better. I guess if we were to trade him, I'd want his value to at least keep rising like I think it will. Artie can be a slick player at times. I'm confident he will find his consistency. It's still recent enough that his previous success at the AHL level is encouraging.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:57 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post

Someone who would really benefit from a Gary Roberts summer!

(Not that anyone doesn't, except for MDZ of course... )

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:43 PM
coz21
Skrillllllz

I like both AA and Step. I honestly think that they'll both end up producing 60-70 pts a year, possibly more for Stepan if he goes back to his playmaking ways from Wisconsin and ends up playing with Gaborik

coz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 05:46 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

If it comes down to keeping one of Stepan or AA, The choice is very easy for me. Stepan all the way. Quicker learner, better rookie season, better hockey IQ IMO. He can be a captain down the road as well.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 05:51 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
The way he plays defense, and the way he tries to bull his way to the net, I'd hesitate to say he plays "scared." That's just hyperbole.

He is weak on the boards. Fortunately, that is something that can potentially be addressed as he continues to develop. He's 22; as a professional hockey player, you definitely haven't hit your physical peak at 22. He has plenty of time to continue to add strength. He was much stronger on the puck and in the corners this year than he was last year, where a deep breath could knock him off the puck.
Not sure what you're saying. He doesn't bull his way as much as he should and can. When he has the puck in the offensive zone along the boards he has a tough time holding onto it. He is always hesitant in a dump and chase forecheck scenario.....trying to shy away from contact.

Arty is a positional hockey player who doesn't like getting his nose dirty. Below average sturdiness along the boards. Maybe the worst on the team. He's still talented enough to be a 50+ point player, but unless he has drastic changes in strength and engagement along the boards then he is going to hurt his club when it matters most.

Last edited by hpNYR: 04-25-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old
04-25-2011, 06:05 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

You can change the name on the thread title to Brandon Dubinsky or Ryan Callahan and this is the same thread from 2-3 years ago. People fall in and out of love with players too much. One day the player is untouchable and then he is available for the right deal. Whatever.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:08 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
You can change the name on the thread title to Brandon Dubinsky or Ryan Callahan and this is the same thread from 2-3 years ago. People fall in and out of love with players too much. One day the player is untouchable and then he is available for the right deal. Whatever.
Good post. AA is still young 23 years old. He has great size and some skill.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:17 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
You're comparing apples and oranges. Dubinsky and Callahan never had issues of strength, grit, or engagement. They didn't struggle along the boards.

What is being pointed out about Anisimov is 100% true. He shies away from contact along the boards and isn't as engaged as he should be for someone his size.

He needs a page out of the Brian Boyle book. But time will tell if he ever gets that page. Some players just play the game a certain way.

Old
04-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
You're comparing apples and oranges. Dubinsky and Callahan never had issues of strength, grit, or engagement. They didn't struggle along the boards.

What is being pointed out about Anisimov is 100% true. He shies away from contact along the boards and isn't as engaged as he should be for someone his size.

He needs a page out of the Brian Boyle book. But time will tell if he ever gets that page. Some players just play the game a certain way.
Brian Boyle still needs a page out of the <insert any player who plays like they are 7 feet tall> book. He improved, but he doesn't always play like he's that big.

So Arty could use a page out of a different book for now. I agree about him being engaged more. Actually if he could learn a thing or two from Dubi about puck control and using his body to protect it, that would even be nice.

04-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post

Hahaha nice motivational speech

Primetime Powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:57 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Not sure what you're saying. He doesn't bull his way as much as he should and can. When he has the puck in the offensive zone along the boards he has a tough time holding onto it. He is always hesitant in a dump and chase forecheck scenario.....trying to shy away from contact.

Arty is a positional hockey player who doesn't like getting his nose dirty. Below average sturdiness along the boards. Maybe the worst on the team. He's still talented enough to be a 50+ point player, but unless he has drastic changes in strength and engagement along the boards then he is going to hurt his club when it matters most.
Anisimov loves to take the puck to the net when he gets a chance...I can't count how many times he's driven to the net and stickhandled directly into the goalie at the last second

his problem is basically that he's a little too light to be as effective along the boards as he should be, his skating is a bit too slow (mainly his first step), and he doesn't have the top notch skills to totally ignore those first two problems.

I think he also has some maturing to do mentally. I feel like I've read comments from coaches or himself that he gets out of his game and not as aggressive as he needs to be sometimes, but maybe I'm making that up. At any rate, he can work on getting stronger and faster

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:27 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Anisimov loves to take the puck to the net when he gets a chance...I can't count how many times he's driven to the net and stickhandled directly into the goalie at the last second

his problem is basically that he's a little too light to be as effective along the boards as he should be, his skating is a bit too slow (mainly his first step), and he doesn't have the top notch skills to totally ignore those first two problems.

I think he also has some maturing to do mentally. I feel like I've read comments from coaches or himself that he gets out of his game and not as aggressive as he needs to be sometimes, but maybe I'm making that up. At any rate, he can work on getting stronger and faster
During the season Michelletti did mention how easily Arty loses confidence; and how Dubinsky and Callahan try to help him with that.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Levitate

Quote:
During the season Michelletti did mention how easily Arty loses confidence; and how Dubinsky and Callahan try to help him with that.
Yeah, and in my mind, that's a key reason for why he can be ineffective along the boards. You've got to be ready to battle in those spots and if you're not confident in your game things are probably gonna go against you. Hopefully it's just a maturity issue. Sometimes he is pretty good along the boards and makes things happen that way, but he's not consistent enough yet

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:55 AM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah, and in my mind, that's a key reason for why he can be ineffective along the boards. You've got to be ready to battle in those spots and if you're not confident in your game things are probably gonna go against you. Hopefully it's just a maturity issue. Sometimes he is pretty good along the boards and makes things happen that way, but he's not consistent enough yet
gotta give him time to grow though. Remember he is only 22, and entering his third year. He improved from a fourth line center to a solid second line center in one season. The kid has skill, just relax, sit back, and watch him grow

Old
04-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

I'll never understand why people feel like every player over 6'2 is required to be physical. Artie has shown tremendous improvement in his willingness to get to the dirty areas of the ice and his ability to protect the puck. His on-ice awareness has also improved, and he's not skating around with his head down so much.

He's a potentially tremendous asset. Offensive upside in the ~60 point range, defensively responsible, and he's a great kid that the coaches really like. I truly hope to see him as our #2C for a long, long time.

No problem with what he showed me this year.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:59 AM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'll never understand why people feel like every player over 6'2 is required to be physical. Artie has shown tremendous improvement in his willingness to get to the dirty areas of the ice and his ability to protect the puck. His on-ice awareness has also improved, and he's not skating around with his head down so much.

He's a potentially tremendous asset. Offensive upside in the ~60 point range, defensively responsible, and he's a great kid that the coaches really like. I truly hope to see him as our #2C for a long, long time.

No problem with what he showed me this year.
Do all big players need to be physical? No, but if you are not going to use your size to your advantage you better have a lot of dancing abilities to make up for it. So far Anisimov has not shown consistently enough (keyword: consistently) that he has that ability. I hope he does eventually though. Realistically why can't he do both? That's how Ovechkin plays. Obviously Arty isn't Ovie, but that doesn't mean he can't play a similar game.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:02 AM
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!

Dear Levitate or Inferno.. (I forget which one I had the bet with)

The bet was that AA wouldn't have 20 goals and 20 assists.

He had 18 goals, so I win that won, buddy

I'm pleased with his progress, so far. Hopefully next year he can take the jump to 60+ points, although I'm not overly optimistic.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Do all big players need to be physical? No, but if you are not going to use your size to your advantage you better have a lot of dancing abilities to make up for it. So far Anisimov has not shown consistently enough (keyword: consistently) that he has that ability. I hope he does eventually though. Realistically why can't he do both? That's how Ovechkin plays. Obviously Arty isn't Ovie, but that doesn't mean he can't play a similar game.
Of course he hasn't shown it consistently. He's a 22 year old, 2nd year NHLer for cryin out loud. He's showing improvement in every part of his game, except for faceoffs. Why are we harping on the one that would require an adjustment to his personality in order for it to come to fruition?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

Anisimov tore up the AHL and scored over 80 points and was slightly above a ppg. That is after scoring somewhere near 43 (may be off) points the year before in the A. He increased again after his rookie season, by nearly double, just like in the A. The kid has shown that he is consistently improving, and that is what makes him such a nice piece of the puzzle.

Old
04-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Of course he hasn't shown it consistently. He's a 22 year old, 2nd year NHLer for cryin out loud. He's showing improvement in every part of his game, except for faceoffs. Why are we harping on the one that would require an adjustment to his personality in order for it to come to fruition?
I agree, he is improving, and that's great. I'm just saying if you have an advantage of any kind over the opposition you should use it.

People were getting on Boyle last year about his size, I don't think it is unfair to comment on Arty's use or lack thereof, or his strength.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote