HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

A beer league I wouldn't mind watching

Old
04-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Geico4yoMoney

vCash: 500
A beer league I wouldn't mind watching

http://www.pointstreak.com/players/p...&seasonid=6377

I am going to check them out next season lol. I was looking for local leagues to join and came across this one.

The names I recognize (from the overall player list) are:

Kevyn Adam
Michael Peca
Jay McKee
Grant Ledyard
Lindy Ruff
Rob Ray
Craig Muni

I am interested if anyone here plays in an intense beer league.

Geico4yoMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:09 PM
bradm6125

Wayne Simmonds, and Chris Stewart played last summer in the ASHL A division last year. Everytime I was at the rink and they were playing there were kids at the glass watching. Both seemed to be taking it pretty easy though

bradm6125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:00 AM
goguls

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradm6125 View Post
Wayne Simmonds, and Chris Stewart played last summer in the ASHL A division last year. Everytime I was at the rink and they were playing there were kids at the glass watching. Both seemed to be taking it pretty easy though
Scarborough Canlan?

goguls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Duffman

My boss plays on the Winterbush team in that league with Peca, McKee, and Geoff Peters (brother of Andrew Peters)....that league also has Craig Muni, Daryl Shannon and a couple other pros

Last edited by Duffman: 04-25-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:34 AM
pSoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
My boss plays on the Winterbush team in that league with Peca, McKee, and Geoff Peters (brother of Andrew Peters)....that league also has Craig Muni, Daryl Shannon and a couple other pros
Thats crazy, that would be fun to watch.

pSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Geico4yoMoney

Ha that is cool. I wouldnt be able to play in this league, the best I ever played was AA travel, but I was mostly a career house guy. To add to it, I have probably lost a lot of my skills by not playing during my college years which are about to come to a close this may. Yep, a novice or at best intermediate league is for me

Geico4yoMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Duffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pSoup View Post
Thats crazy, that would be fun to watch.
I knew he played with Peca b/c Peca's wife and my bosses wife were best friends in high school or somethin, but when I walked into the rink to play some pick up with my buddies I decided to check out the league game we were waiting on to wrap up I was surprised to see him there playin with those guys. I watched for a little bit and I must say that is one competative division.

People are always surprised by how many former pros move to the Buffalo area, even players that never played for the Sabres. For example Bob Froese, former Flyers goalie, lives here (it's fresh in my mind b/c of who Buffalo is playin in the playoffs).

Old
04-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Duffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geico4yoMoney View Post
Ha that is cool. I wouldnt be able to play in this league, the best I ever played was AA travel, but I was mostly a career house guy. To add to it, I have probably lost a lot of my skills by not playing during my college years which are about to come to a close this may. Yep, a novice or at best intermediate league is for me
I'm with you on skill level, I stopped playing in leagues in high school because of the cost so I took up another sport 1m & 3m springboard diving. I was able to dive Div-1A in college but hockey was always the sport I loved above all others. On one hand the flexiblity from playing goal helped me while on the other hand I had a lot of good goalie habits that didn't translate so well into the pool.

Now that I am able, I skate twice a week in the summer and spring and up to 5 times a week during the fall and winter.

Old
04-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Nice to know that Adams lit it up for 62pts in 14 games

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:26 AM
pelts35.com

I just heard that Riley Cote will be playing in a beer league in the Philly suburbs this spring.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Killroy*

From an Atlanta winter league in 2005:

http://www.sportability.com/spx/Leag...=9710&Filter=0

Bob Hartley, Billy Jaffe, Darren Eliot, Uwe Krupp, and Scott Pearson stand out. I guess the first 3 had to find something to do during the lockout.

Killroy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:17 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
From an Atlanta winter league in 2005:

http://www.sportability.com/spx/Leag...=9710&Filter=0

Bob Hartley, Billy Jaffe, Darren Eliot, Uwe Krupp, and Scott Pearson stand out. I guess the first 3 had to find something to do during the lockout.
I scorekept some of those games. this is an Over35 league and because this is the Upper level it's some pretty darn good hockey. Bob Hartley was terrible but the others were pretty good. Pearson was by far the best. this league has also had Matthieu Schneider's brother playing at some point. some of the guys in this league have tried to get Tom Glavine to join but word is that he's concerned with some of the younger guys trying to take cheap shots at him so he's been playing in an invite-only sticktime of elite players.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:50 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
some of the guys in this league have tried to get Tom Glavine to join but word is that he's concerned with some of the younger guys trying to take cheap shots at him so he's been playing in an invite-only sticktime of elite players.
Are you kidding me?

"Hey I think imma go cheap shot that old guy because my dad says he used to play baseball or sumpin"

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:38 PM
barnabyrules

A bunch of USA Women's Olympic Team players played in our league for a couple seasons...

http://www.pointstreak.com/players/p...&seasonid=3264

They were terrible (3-6-1).

barnabyrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Sharpshooter101
Rookie User

God Damn Crap! That's an intense beer league...

Last winter, it was really crazy. I often go and play at an outdoor rink for fun and there were actual former QMJHL players skating... Just insane. Sometimes - I really don't know what they're doing in a small place like ours,- you see former Juniors, AAA players, even a pro. Not an NHL pro, but still a pro.

Too accurate, too fast, too many cunning plays... they seem to dominate the entire ice, even when they don't have the puck. You feel more humble afterward; or very proud if you took the puck out of their hands when they've gone for one of too many dekes! (Yes, even very good players do that kind of things!)

Sharpshooter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 01:10 PM
OpenIceHit42

Jay McKee has 30 goals?

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote