HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eller

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-24-2011, 07:03 PM
  #26
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
So because a guy plays 3rd or 4th line as a rookie he's now "rotten"...

I guess most NHL are now rotten because other than guys like Crosby and Ovechkin, most NHLers spend 1-2-3 years on lower lines.
easy bro ...my point is last night he looked very good and Pleks and Gomy didn`t

why not give him a few extra shifts with lets say Cammy and Gio who were flying ?

why not double shift him and give the kid some confidence and praise after the way he played

For Pete`s sake Darche played on the top 2 lines ...Moen who has about as much skill as a statue played on the top line for his size only

is a few ****fs on the second pp going to kill JM on his line changes ?

cmon thats all I ask ... DD who played like crap down the stretch got his due with extra minutes when he played ok why not Eller ? who truly has a future with us ?

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:50 PM
  #27
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,189
vCash: 500
Well he is looking like a guy that could be a big time playoff performer in his career and I like that !

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:08 PM
  #28
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
easy bro ...my point is last night he looked very good and Pleks and Gomy didn`t

why not give him a few extra shifts with lets say Cammy and Gio who were flying ?

why not double shift him and give the kid some confidence and praise after the way he played

For Pete`s sake Darche played on the top 2 lines ...Moen who has about as much skill as a statue played on the top line for his size only

is a few ****fs on the second pp going to kill JM on his line changes ?

cmon thats all I ask ... DD who played like crap down the stretch got his due with extra minutes when he played ok why not Eller ? who truly has a future with us ?
Have you considered the fact that the team needs to roll three lines, and Eller is instrumental to the third?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:09 PM
  #29
Dekar
Registered User
 
Dekar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bound Kingdom
Posts: 5,075
vCash: 500
You do realise that if Martin is setting Eller up to succeed by giving him the matchups that suit his strengths and hide his weaknesses? If anything, martin's making Eller look more rounded than he is yet.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:48 PM
  #30
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Well he is looking like a guy that could be a big time playoff performer in his career and I like that !
I agree, I think Eller is showing that he has the intangibles to be one of the leaders of this team down the line.

As for his upside, I think he can be a 70 point per season, #1 two way center in his prime. He may not ever be a superstar, but he'll be a great player for a long, long time. Think a bigger Plekanec.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:25 PM
  #31
compile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,888
vCash: 611
I said this at the start of the season.

He makes these small little passes in close quarters that I have not seen any player in the NHL make since Wayne Gretzky (i'm not saying Eller = Gretz). He just makes these little passes with ease. Only problem is there are about a handle of players that can anticipate his passes in this league.

He's going to progress slowly for a couple of seasons, but them blossom into a gem. He already shows that he has the urge to win every night and gets pissed when he doesn't play more minutes. He has the size and grit. He needs to increase his size to around 205-215lbs and work slightly on his balance and shot (learning to shot is a lot easier).

I project him to be a 70-80pts center man with a good-great RW (i've noticed he tends to dish it to his right more which is natural for a left handed player).

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:32 PM
  #32
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I agree, I think Eller is showing that he has the intangibles to be one of the leaders of this team down the line.

As for his upside, I think he can be a 70 point per season, #1 two way center in his prime. He may not ever be a superstar, but he'll be a great player for a long, long time. Think a bigger Plekanec.
Exactly, but he is already showing he will be a physical two-way center (hitting, boards battles, front of the net, high work rate) and I think from what we have seen he could very well end up been anything between a 80-90 pts center and a 50-60 pts two-way center.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:40 PM
  #33
compile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,888
vCash: 611
Has anyone noticed that it seems like he has an abundant amount of endurance? I don't think I've seen him tire out on an over extended shift.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:50 PM
  #34
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,616
vCash: 500
I don't want to project points total but he definitely reminds me of Mikko Koivu who was also nothing special points wise in his first NHL season (He had a better pace than Eller but was also older).

Of course you never know, he could end up not improving at all but he's very talented and seems to work hard so I'm more than happy to consider him our 2nd centre (or maybe even 1st) of the future.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:52 PM
  #35
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,616
vCash: 500
Next season I'd like to see this as our Top 6.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gionta
Cammalleri-Eller-Kostitsyn.

Line 1 has already proven to be very effective, Eller-Kostitsyn already have great chemistry and putting Cammalleri out there with those big bodies is going to give him room to get his shot off.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:53 PM
  #36
pine
Registered User
 
pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,813
vCash: 50
Gomez ?









pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:02 PM
  #37
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Next season I'd like to see this as our Top 6.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gionta
Cammalleri-Eller-Kostitsyn.

Line 1 has already proven to be very effective, Eller-Kostitsyn already have great chemistry and putting Cammalleri out there with those big bodies is going to give him room to get his shot off.
I agree. Bury Gomez and toughen up our 3rd and 4th lines plus add a better 5th and 6th D.

Target guys like S.Obrien, K.Bieksa and L.Smid (restricted).

Up front: C.Glencross, Z.Konopka, P.Dupuis, T.Kopecky, M.Bradley

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:02 PM
  #38
Gainey#1*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa/Calgary
Posts: 2,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
You do realise that if Martin is setting Eller up to succeed by giving him the matchups that suit his strengths and hide his weaknesses? If anything, martin's making Eller look more rounded than he is yet.
If you want to successfully develop a player, that's what must be done. You don't put a young kid in positions to fail right off the bat.

You ease him in and help him gain confidence, so eventually he will be ready to play top line minutes in top situations.

You don't just develop into a trusted player overnight.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:05 PM
  #39
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post
Gomez ?








No way in hell Eller couldn't produce similar numbers Gomez produced this season with that much ice-time and those line mates. I guarantee that, he just needs the linemates and the confidence and he'll be that much better than Gomez.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:07 PM
  #40
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
If you want to successfully develop a player, that's what must be done. You don't put a young kid in positions to fail right off the bat.

You ease him in and help him gain confidence, so eventually he will be ready to play top line minutes in top situations.

You don't just develop into a trusted player overnight.
Which is what this season is all about, IMO.

I hope Eller is given the opportunities next season, because I think if anything these playoffs are showing he is just about ready for them. I also think he could be more productive than Gomez with proper line mates.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:15 PM
  #41
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Which is what this season is all about, IMO.

I hope Eller is given the opportunities next season, because I think if anything these playoffs are showing he is just about ready for them. I also think he could be more productive than Gomez with proper line mates.
There is a tendency to rush players as soon as they have a couple of goods games. I have been an Eller supporter from the very beginning but I believe he is another full NHL season away before we can count on him for our top two.

He can play defense and is strong enough to compete along the wall. He does need to improve his shot, which is rather under-developed to be a scorer.

He also does well in tight areas but not when he is close to the net. Needs to improve his hockey IQ around the net to become a point producer.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:43 PM
  #42
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,026
vCash: 500
just imagine what Eller's game would look like if he had actually been used consistently during the regular season, and given even just occasional opportunities with top-6 wingers and/or on the PP.


Credit to him that he was able to keep his attitude/ego in check all year, and his confidence at a good level, despite playing for a coach who refused to show him any trust all year long.


It's not about forcing him into a top-6 role too early, but it should have been about recognizing that Gomez was not giving the team anything, so whatever growing pains might have to be endured by giving the kid an extra 3-4 min/game (14-15min instead of 10-11) would have been well worth the opportunity to push his development along by exposing him to situations/challenges (playing in 3rd periods when down or tied, getting some PP reps, playing with some linemates that can actually put the puck in the net).

it's one thing to "rush" a player, by forcing them into a role they aren't ready for, it's quite another to gradually expose a young player to more intense game opportunities when the stakes aren't quite as high as a game 5 double overtime situation, in order to let him "learn on the job".

aside from the obvious desire for the habs to play deep into the playoffs, beating the Bruins is SOO importante b/c if Martin has finally figured it out, and will get Eller on the ice regularly for the duration of the playoffs, every game he gets will only make him that much better come next september.

but man alive, we need to get rid of Gomez.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:50 PM
  #43
Dont Poke Subban
Registered User
 
Dont Poke Subban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,033
vCash: 500
Can't wait for the Maxpac Eller Gionta line next year.

Gomez can play on the 3rd line. We would prolly get more from him playing bottom 6 mins. Forget the money he makes. God knows he'll be a Hab for another 3 years.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:35 AM
  #44
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I agree. Bury Gomez and toughen up our 3rd and 4th lines plus add a better 5th and 6th D.

Target guys like S.Obrien, K.Bieksa and L.Smid (restricted).

Up front: C.Glencross, Z.Konopka, P.Dupuis, T.Kopecky, M.Bradley
It would be so funny if we could bury Gomez and then call him up in the playoffs when the roster size expands and he shows up like he does most years in the post-season it's like a free $7m player

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:48 AM
  #45
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,904
vCash: 500
I like this kid, he has come a long way since the start of the year and is playing some really good hockey, very young and will only get better

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:53 AM
  #46
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,667
vCash: 500
So what if Gomez hasn't scored since the leafs won the cup, we gotta keep him in top 6 minutes and on the powerplay. NO EXCEPTIONS

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:27 AM
  #47
MtlSportsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St-Lazare
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
He's a tremendous stickhandler, he has a chance to become a bigger version of Plekanec. Did anyone notice that he made a brilliant little pass to Halpern on the tying goal Saturday ? They didn't seem to pick up on it during the broadcast.

MtlSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:39 AM
  #48
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,107
vCash: 500
We know he can play, doesn't mean he has to play on the first 2 lines. Face it, we're stuck with Gomez and there's always hope that he grows a pair and starts playing like a decent 2nd line center. There is no need to push Eller into that position, he'll eventually do it himself when his line (whoever he ends up playing with) starts outscoring the Gomez line.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:46 PM
  #49
Erika
Registered User
 
Erika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ville Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Why give a rookie a chance when this team already has the 8 Millions dollar man superstar Scott Gomez ?

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:00 PM
  #50
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
We know he can play, doesn't mean he has to play on the first 2 lines. Face it, we're stuck with Gomez and there's always hope that he grows a pair and starts playing like a decent 2nd line center. There is no need to push Eller into that position, he'll eventually do it himself when his line (whoever he ends up playing with) starts outscoring the Gomez line.
He still needs ice time, it's going to be hard to ever outproduce anyone when they are playing 6-7-8 minutes more a game. It's a lot to ask of Eller, but at the same time it's hard to imagine most any player playing 20 minutes a game as a 2nd line C, getting primo PP minutes and still failing to put up 40 pts in a season. This season from Gomez was very much so an Epic Fail. Dominic Moore put up more pts as a 2nd line C in Toronto a couple years back, and if you ask anyone 4-5 years ago who was better Gomez would have won that poll by everone except Moore's immediate family.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.