HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you want Brad Richards?

View Poll Results: ???
Yes! He kills two birds with one stone. #1 center and PPQB. Plus he is an elite playmaker. 143 61.37%
No! He is 31 and injury prone and our FA history has not been very good. 28 12.02%
Not sure...maybe if it's for a 3-5 year deal but nothing more. 62 26.61%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2011, 11:52 AM
beastly115

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Come on, alph. You're acting like Richards solves everything and then tosses a cure for cancer into the bargain. He's a good player who will cost a ton and a half of money. I'm not as sold on Richards as Savior to be completely comfortable with the type of contract he's going to want. Am I out and out against the signing? No, of course not. But his contract will limit what this team can do. Despite the popular opinion on this board, we're not a player away from contending.
I agree, we're not 1 player away (Richards) from contending. But I do believe that Richards gets us closer. He makes us a better team than we are now. Sign Richards then down the line make a trade for a guy that puts us over the top.

Old
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Of course. I'm not anti-Richards. But can they get rid of Drury? Or rather...will they?
Do you see them signing Richards and keeping Drury? Would they really just trade Wolski instead of buying out Chris? I guess it's possible...but it seems that any roster with Drury on it is likely just a wasted year.

Old
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
That's true, but if you swap Drury for Richards you have to admit the team is significantly better on paper, no?
True. If it were as simple as a paper swap, nobody would argue. But it's not.

Old
04-25-2011, 11:57 AM
OverTheCap

I think most Rangers fans realize that Richards alone isn't going to make us Stanley Cup champions. But you have to start somewhere.

The Rangers don't draft high enough to be able to land top end talent. If we stay the course and refuse to sign talented free agents merely because we aren't one player away from the cup, we'll be stuck where we are now for years. Rebuilding like Chicago and Pitt is the way to go, but we'll never be able to do that so long as we have Lundqvist keeping us competitive.

Sergei Gonchar signed a big contract with the Penguins in 2005 at the age of 31. He didn't put the Penguins over the top immediately, but he helped them win a cup in the 4th year of his contract. I think that's the sort of situation we are looking at here: a player that won't make us immediate cup winners but can help us win a cup sometime during the duration of his contract when our core is older and more experienced.

Old
04-25-2011, 11:57 AM
slipknottin

I guess I just find it amusing that everyone blasts Sather for his FA signings, then every offseason everyone wants a big FA signing.

Frankly, Im tired of aging players who are on the downside of their career. Build young through the draft, even if it does take a season or two for it all to come together.

Old
04-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Do you see them signing Richards and keeping Drury? Would they really just trade Wolski instead of buying out Chris? I guess it's possible...but it seems that any roster with Drury on it is likely just a wasted year.
That's all I'm saying. Whether or not it's PROBABLE is another story hehe. We'll find out either way.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:09 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Sergei Gonchar signed a big contract with the Penguins in 2005 at the age of 31. He didn't put the Penguins over the top immediately, but he helped them win a cup in the 4th year of his contract. I think that's the sort of situation we are looking at here: a player that won't make us immediate cup winners but can help us win a cup sometime during the duration of his contract when our core is older and more experienced.
As long as we tank, win the lottery, and draft Crosby and Malkin to add to him, then I guess we can follow your plan.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:11 PM
NYRangers09

Everyone saying no....
1. Remember that Henrik is getting older, so if we want to win while we have an elite goalie, we have to make some moves now.

2. We have so many great pieces in place and getting Richards fills a 2 huge voids even though he may not put us immediately over the top.

3. He is not Drury or Gomez. He is a consistently great point producer who, like many others have said, relies on smarts more than physical gifts, so he will not decline too rapidly.

Wolski-Richards-Gaborik (Wolski can be replaced by Dubi and a kid can play second or third line)
Dubi-Anisimov-Cally
'AHL'-Stepan-MZA
Prust-Boyle-Avery(I love this line)

This is the time to make a move that could help push us in the right position! Continue to integrate youth while giving us a respectable 2 out of 3 on the top line.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:14 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers09 View Post
Everyone saying no....
1. Remember that Henrik is getting older, so if we want to win while we have an elite goalie, we have to make some moves now.

Hes only 29... He can play at an elite level for at least another 5 seasons.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:20 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
I guess I just find it amusing that everyone blasts Sather for his FA signings, then every offseason everyone wants a big FA signing.

Frankly, Im tired of aging players who are on the downside of their career. Build young through the draft, even if it does take a season or two for it all to come together.
You can't build a team solely on draft picks. Free agents and trades are necessary.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:22 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
You can't build a team solely on draft picks. Free agents and trades are necessary.
Right, lower price free agents and some trades.

Dont need to make a habit out of signing 30+ year old players to huge contracts.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

50-50 if its 3-5 years. Watching Drury, Gomez, Redden & possisbly Gaborik fail I dont think I want to watch another one fail in NY.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:25 PM
McMonster

Quote:
thank you. In 3 years we will probably have a "Brad Richards please RETIRE!!!!" thread. And everyone will be talking about how they knew he wasn't worth the money blah blah blah.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:27 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppp View Post
thank you. In 3 years we will probably have a "Brad Richards please RETIRE!!!!" thread. And everyone will be talking about how they knew he wasn't worth the money blah blah blah.
And if we win the cup 2 years from now it won't matter.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:28 PM
McMonster

Quote:
And if we win the cup 2 years from now it won't matter.
I don't think we have to worry about this.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:34 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppp View Post
I don't think we have to worry about this.
Perhaps, perhaps not. You add Richards this summer and with a little more luck in the injury department next year's squad should be in the post season. Perhaps they even win a round or two. A couple more moves next summer along with the continued development of the kids and there's no reason the Rangers aren't a contender in 2012-2013. I'm not saying the cup is ours...but it could be.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:40 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Look at San Jose in 2006 before the Thornton trade, and look at them since. Granted, zero Cups, but they are an elite team.

The Sharks without Thornton have a nice collection of forwards. Before Heatley, they had one elite 1st liner (Marleau) and a huge collection of 2nd liners.

I think the Rangers are very similar to the pre-Heatley Sharks once they get that legit No. 1 center

Thornton -- Richards
Marleau -- Gaborik
Pavelski -- Dubinsky
Clowe -- Callahan
Setoguchi -- Boyle (I think he should be a RW)

Heatley -- Nobody
Couture -- Stepan

The obvious omission is we have nobody close to Dan Boyle. Still, adding a guy like Richards makes the Rangers a 45/47 win and 100-point team with home ice in the 1st round. That's if you get 2011-type production from the guys who wont be playing with Richards.

What's the worst that could happen if we sign Richards? If 2012 is a failure, you have Drury, Wolski and Avery gone and two tradable years of Gabby left.

Signing Richards wont cripple the organization. The risk is minimal, the rewards are high.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:41 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Look at San Jose in 2006 before the Thornton trade, and look at them since. Granted, zero Cups

pretty much eliminates the rest of the argument, doesnt it?

Old
04-25-2011, 12:46 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Not at all.

If the only measure of success is the Stanley Cup, then there are 29 failures each year. Even the "best" built team in the NHL is not guaranteed to win one, because of the parity in the modern NHL. All it takes is running into a hot goalie, suffering a debilitating injury, etc. to wind up without a Cup for even a great team.

Richards doesn't guarantee the Rangers a Cup. An in the prime Gretzky wouldn't guarantee the Rangers a Cup. Nothing guarantees you a Cup, so all you can do is improve the team as much as possible.

Richards is a huge step in improving this team. No other single move comes close to the impact Richards would have on the Rangers.

Old
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Look at San Jose in 2006 before the Thornton trade, and look at them since. Granted, zero Cups, but they are an elite team.

The Sharks without Thornton have a nice collection of forwards. Before Heatley, they had one elite 1st liner (Marleau) and a huge collection of 2nd liners.

I think the Rangers are very similar to the pre-Heatley Sharks once they get that legit No. 1 center

Thornton -- Richards
Marleau -- Gaborik
Pavelski -- Dubinsky
Clowe -- Callahan
Setoguchi -- Boyle (I think he should be a RW)

Heatley -- Nobody
Couture -- Stepan

The obvious omission is we have nobody close to Dan Boyle. Still, adding a guy like Richards makes the Rangers a 45/47 win and 100-point team with home ice in the 1st round. That's if you get 2011-type production from the guys who wont be playing with Richards.

What's the worst that could happen if we sign Richards? If 2012 is a failure, you have Drury, Wolski and Avery gone and two tradable years of Gabby left.

Signing Richards wont cripple the organization. The risk is minimal, the rewards are high.
Thornton was like 26 years old when he became a Shark. If Brad Richards was 28 or younger I'd be all for signing him to a 5 year contract.

Last edited by klingsor: 04-25-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:

It would, if Richards didn't win a Cup (with Torts) and was the Conn Smythe winner that year.

Richards isn't a choke-artist like Jumbo Joe.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:48 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Thonnton was like 26 years old. If Brad Richard was 28 or younger I'd be all for signing him.
agree. tired of the overpaid old players. they have done nothing for this team, why keep going down the same road.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:49 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Thonnton was like 26 years old. If Brad Richard was 28 or younger I'd be all for signing him.
Quote:
agree. tired of the overpaid old players. they have done nothing for this team, why keep going down the same road.

Remember when Mark Messier showed up one morning at the age of 33, and the New York Rangers won the Stanley Cup?

Old
04-25-2011, 12:50 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
This is the way I feel about the situation.

Honestly, I think a thread where we contemplate potential targets via trade is more constructive than rehashing the Richards debate for another 200 pages. Like nyr2k2 said, there are compelling arguments on both sides. In the end, I just don't think it gets the Rangers where they're trying to go.
Okay, well, then please, start us off. I'm still waiting for someone to provide a reasonable and rational trade proposal that gets us a player that:

a) fills our immense holes as well or nearly as well as Richards does

and

b) can be acquired for an affordable price given our needs/strengths and organizational makeup and depth chart

Other than that one Paul Stastny rumor that was floating around earlier this season (and why the Avalanche would do that, I don't know, since having a one-two punch of Duchene and Stastny is obviously a huge advantage to have in this league), I can't think of a single player that would fit the prerequisites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresthebeef View Post
50-50 if its 3-5 years. Watching Drury, Gomez, Redden & possisbly Gaborik fail I dont think I want to watch another one fail in NY.
You know, last year, I needed a nice pair of loafers, but instead I bought a pair of sneakers. Not only did the sneakers not fill my need for a pair of loafers, but they were poorly crafted and uncomfortable to wear. As a result, I'm never going to buy anything that I need ever again.

Does this make sense to you, or you do you see the inherent logical disconnect there?

If so, perhaps you can see the same thing in your comment. I have a proposition: how about if, going forward, we no longer bring up Drury Gomez or Redden in regards to a potential Richards contract, since the latter have absolutely nothing to do with the former.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:51 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post

Remember when Mark Messier showed up one morning at the age of 33, and the New York Rangers won the Stanley Cup?

remember when that was the pre salary cap era?

Closed Thread