HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Flex on wooden sticks

Old
04-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Thresh

vCash: 500
Flex on wooden sticks

After shopping around for sticks a fair bit recently, i've yet to find a single one with a flex rating. So that got me thinking - are all wooden sticks a set flex due to being made of the same material?

Also, seeing as when a stick is cut down it increases the flex rating, making it stiffer, would that make the intermediate wooden sticks even stiffer than seniors? Or are the youth/junior/int sticks made of a more flexible type of wood?

Thresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:21 PM
ponder

Wood sticks come in a wide variety of flexes, sometimes the flexes are marked, often not. You can tell how flexible a wooden stick is just by flexing it. They're not necessarily made just of wood, sometimes they've got some graphite strips to stiffen them up, and they can be made of different types of wood, plus they're laminates regardless so I'd think the type of glue could alter the flex? Also, junior/int sticks have thinner shafts (just like with composites), so that helps make them more flexible.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:56 AM
biturbo19

every wood stick i have has a clearly indicated flex...

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:48 AM
noobman

I recently bought a wood stick with an unmarked flex (Easton SY90) and tried it out tonight.

Talk about bizarro world... my shooting was actually *better* as compared to my 85 flex Easton Stealth S5 (one piece stick) and I could definitely feel the difference while stickhandling, but for some reason I kept losing the puck in my feet while skating forward. It felt like the puck just wouldn't bounce off the blade as far as I was expecting it to every time I pushed the puck forward. The stick was definitely heavier and felt closer to my 100 flex S5 in terms of whippiness.

Anyways, to answer your question... someone told me that wooden sticks never had flex ratings on them until they were introduced with composites. Now that I think of it, I don't recall ever seeing a flex rating on a hockey stick growing up, although I wasn't really looking very hard. Every wood stick I've used has felt pretty comparable to a 100 flex, except this one old Koho stick I used to have that felt like rubber. A lot of current wood sticks have stick flex ratings on them. The difference between the composite and the wood stick will be the flex point. A woodie will more likely have a mid kick point (area of the stick that flexes) while a tapered composite stick will have a low kick point (flex close to the blade). The composite is also going to be a lot lighter.

I haven't seen a wooden stick marked as an 85 flex before, but I'd be surprised if they didn't exist.

Last edited by noobman: 04-24-2011 at 03:54 AM.
noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:18 AM
Hockeyfan68

Wood sticks usually have a flex rating of something like "Stiff" or "Medium" or similar versions like "Pro-flex" which would mean stiff etc.

By nature of organics they are different from one another and most of the flex is from the laminate anyway whether it be fiberglas or carbon fibre. So as mentioned just flex it in the store, most people know what feels good for them I would think.

Too bad wood sticks lose their flex so quickly and the blade breaks by cracking/splitting.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:46 AM
AIREAYE

The reason why the flexes weren't marked in the beginning was because of inconsistencies in each stick's wood grain. Players back then would have to buy a batch of wood sticks and give each a whirl or to give them a little flex in-store. That habit continues on today even with flex marked OPSs even though most people doing that have no idea what they're looking for.

Nowadays with laminate technology and competition with OPSs, companies have been forced to mark their wood sticks and are generally no whippier (in senior anyways) than around an 85 or 90. They do lose their stiffness over time.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:59 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I haven't seen a wooden stick marked as an 85 flex before, but I'd be surprised if they didn't exist.
Sherwood 5030s, one of the most popular wood sticks, are marked with an 85 flex, and honestly feel even whippier than that. They don't have that really quick snap back that you get with composites though - I find my slapper is just as good with wood sticks, but my snap shot is way worse.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:35 PM
backhander

they still sell wood stick .....well, why not get a cheap composite. it has to be better. i know....

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Thresh

Well i've been looking at cheap composites because i've been using a cut down senior CCM Vector 04 wood stick ever since i started inline in october and i can't flex it at all, haha. And i know why that is, but it's just the only stick i could borrow.

The two composites i've been looking at are:

Warrior Bentley (flex 65, lie 5, draper curve)
Bauer Supreme One20 (flex 67, lie 6, backstrom/P92 curve)

But i really can't decide between the two. Any advice on this for a complete beginner? I'm 23, 5'4'' and weigh around 145 lbs. I'd prefer something in the range of a 55-60 flex, but there isn't really anything that whippy that i've been able to find so far, except in junior sticks which, of course, are no good for me.

And to some extent i kind of want a wood stick as a backup but it's so hard to get to the "local" hockey shop and have a browse in this country because it's a 2 hour drive away and i don't get a lot of spare time.

Old
04-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd probably go with the Warrior of those two.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:26 PM
TheOtter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresh View Post
Well i've been looking at cheap composites because i've been using a cut down senior CCM Vector 04 wood stick ever since i started inline in october and i can't flex it at all, haha. And i know why that is, but it's just the only stick i could borrow.

The two composites i've been looking at are:

Warrior Bentley (flex 65, lie 5, draper curve)
Bauer Supreme One20 (flex 67, lie 6, backstrom/P92 curve)

But i really can't decide between the two. Any advice on this for a complete beginner? I'm 23, 5'4'' and weigh around 145 lbs. I'd prefer something in the range of a 55-60 flex, but there isn't really anything that whippy that i've been able to find so far, except in junior sticks which, of course, are no good for me.

And to some extent i kind of want a wood stick as a backup but it's so hard to get to the "local" hockey shop and have a browse in this country because it's a 2 hour drive away and i don't get a lot of spare time.
Why are junior sticks no good for you? Some of them are longer than others - if it fits, wear it! Unless they're all too short, I'd say go for any junior or intermediate stick that has the flex you want.

TheOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:08 AM
Hockeyfan68

It won't matter to some in here but I used wood sticks for 35 years or so until 2 years ago when I switched to a 2 piece compo. I swore uop and down compos sucked until I used a good quality one. I'll never go back to wood again.

I must say the main difference is the flex points between wood and compos. Wood flex point is wherever your lower hand is on the shaft and a compo has a set flex point. I find quick snapshots with a compo to be a much quicker release than with wood.

The feel is not much different from wood and a good quality compo either. buy $50 junk for a compo and you get junk, the same can be said for a cheap woodie. Spend some good money on a wood stick and you will be happy with wood.

If you know how to shoot and shoot hard and make hard redirect passes and are skilled use a compo. Wood is weak and won't last long. If you can't shoot to save your life but can dangle you may prefer wood as they will last you a long time if you are not a shooter.

Why spend $40 on a good woodie when it will only last you sometimes one session if you shoot slapper? A compo lasts me about a year or more when I used to go through 2 woodies a month. I've broken woodies sometimes the first day I used it just shooting slappers at practice.

Old
04-26-2011, 01:09 AM
nyqs81

Sherwood 5030 85 flex. Lefty. Coffey blade.

nyqs81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:11 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyqs81 View Post
They still offer the Coffey? I thought they went Crosby on those. Nice to see the Coffey curve survive.

Old
04-27-2011, 04:51 PM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyqs81 View Post
this is an amazing cheap stick

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Cowbell232

I bought a Sherwood 5030 as a gag stick for stick time. I wanted a crazy curve just to fool around with, and the Coffey blade covers that well. It's mark as an '85 Flex' but when you compared it to an S19 or TotalOne, it feels like a 12 Flex. I can't get a slapshot off to save my life with the Sherwood, but my wristers/snap shots aren't terrible.

After a few times joking around it's going 'soft' already. Definitely like the consistency of the TotalOne I have over a woodie. I'd probably go through a wood stick every 2 weeks or so. I can have a TotalOne or S19 for ~6 months. Not to mention I prefer the feel of the composites...

So all in all, that's why flexes aren't marked. Inconsistency.

Old
04-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For intermediate sized players it's really a waste to get a wood stick...they are so terrible compared to quality wood sticks that you can't even shoot with them. Twice I've tried buying intermediate wood sticks and both times they were twisting and torquing off the weight of the puck alone. If you're 6' or taller you can use a good quality Sherwood 9950, otherwise I'd stick with composite.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:26 PM
KevFist
is best pony

this thread makes me miss Hespeler and Branches.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Thresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'd probably go with the Warrior of those two.
I emailed my LHS and they said it was unavailable until june/july, so that's annoying. I might just get the bauer stick instead or get my friend to bring me back a stick from canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtter View Post
Why are junior sticks no good for you? Some of them are longer than others - if it fits, wear it! Unless they're all too short, I'd say go for any junior or intermediate stick that has the flex you want.
Yeah they seem on the shorter side in length at the shop, but then i wasn't wearing my skates. I imagine i'd be hunching over to use a junior stick then, haha. Not to mention it'd probably break a lot easier too.

Old
04-29-2011, 07:15 AM
SenzZen

Buy a 5030

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote