HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Notes: Carter frustrated with scoring slump

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The goaltending we got during the regular season was a push with Quick.

Hell, outside of one period Boucher has been good in the playoffs. Biggest problem in this series in some ways has been Lavy.
It is about timely goaltending, it is also about not getting owned on the boards and the ability to play at both ends of the ice. Blaming Laviolette for this teams inability to be better prepared for the playoffs and a lack of consistent goaltending are the issues.

Quick stole a game the other night, he has also faced 60 more shots than Boucher.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Cartsiephan*

I agree, bad luck, poor guy. Maybe he can try his luck in another city?

Old
04-25-2011, 01:44 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I do not understand why people make a distinction between defense and offense... throwing out special teams (and the weak PP neutered the value of a few guys on our team), if you have a guy that creates 60 goals at even strength and gives up 50 goals at even strength, then he has the same exact value to the team winning games as a guy that created 20 goals and gives up 10.

One of the reasons we ended up in the 2 as opposed to the 1 seed slot is because the HBL line lost its mojo in the 2nd half, as well.
Are you referring to Briere b/c in the regular season this year he was a +20..the other years he was -2 and -1. His first year he was -22..he was def horrid that year but produced in the playoffs. Playoffs he's -2 with 5 goals this year..last year +9 and the years before that -1 and -3. His goal to minus differential hasn't exactly been that lopsided as you make up with your hypothetical..

Old
04-25-2011, 01:48 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Three years in a row with injuries...it's hard to judge his performance when he has terrible luck.
Guess we'll have to wait another year..unless we can advance and his knee is better and doesn't inhibit him like his own frustration...

Old
04-25-2011, 01:51 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Three years in a row with injuries...it's hard to judge his performance when he has terrible luck.
Quit making excuses for him Beef. Pronger just played in a game with a broken hand.

Carter should be rehabbing. Do you know what he was doing on Good Friday?

He was in Mad River Bar on Chestnut Street with a buddy drinking.

This was reported on 950 ESPN Friday on the Mike Missanelli show.

How many more excuses are people going to make for the playoff failure that is Jeff Carter?

Old
04-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
Quit making excuses for him Beef. Pronger just played in a game with a broken hand.

Carter should be rehabbing. Do you know what he was doing on Good Friday?

He was in Mad River Bar on Chestnut Street with a buddy drinking.

This was reported on 950 ESPN Friday on the Mike Missanelli show.

How many more excuses are people going to make for the playoff failure that is Jeff Carter?
Multiple problems here.

Pronger played in a game with a broken hand: 1) he couldn't really do a hell of a lot; and 2) a hand injury is a lot less of an issue than a leg/foot injury.

Carter can't really do rehab until the knee calms down... for starters. Secondly, is he incapable of grabbing a beer after doing rehab? Finally, talk radio is a bastion of accuracy when it comes to such things.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Are you referring to Briere b/c in the regular season this year he was a +20..the other years he was -2 and -1. His first year he was -22..he was def horrid that year but produced in the playoffs. Playoffs he's -2 with 5 goals this year..last year +9 and the years before that -1 and -3. His goal to minus differential hasn't exactly been that lopsided as you make up with your hypothetical..
Briere was +14 after the first 35 games. That line he wasn't nearly as effective from January on. Leino was -3 from January on, and Hartnell was -1.

Briere is the same player he's always been, and that's not a very strong one in his own zone. Hartnell is the key to that line working.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
It is about timely goaltending, it is also about not getting owned on the boards and the ability to play at both ends of the ice. Blaming Laviolette for this teams inability to be better prepared for the playoffs and a lack of consistent goaltending are the issues.

Quick stole a game the other night, he has also faced 60 more shots than Boucher.
Not exactly shocking given that Boucher has missed an entire game, and been pulled in another... and came in relief of yet another.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:11 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Briere was +14 after the first 35 games. That line he wasn't nearly as effective from January on. Leino was -3 from January on, and Hartnell was -1.

Briere is the same player he's always been, and that's not a very strong one in his own zone. Hartnell is the key to that line working.
Well Leino is mainly the one this year for that line having a falloff (turnovers)..possibly because of his bad hip so again he's another one we can use the "injury" trump card with but yesterday despite almost being a goat with a turnover he actually buried a shot to win the game because he beared down on the shot..something Carter needs to learn again by his own admission...

Old
04-25-2011, 02:12 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Multiple problems here.

Pronger played in a game with a broken hand: 1) he couldn't really do a hell of a lot; and 2) a hand injury is a lot less of an issue than a leg/foot injury.

Carter can't really do rehab until the knee calms down... for starters. Secondly, is he incapable of grabbing a beer after doing rehab? Finally, talk radio is a bastion of accuracy when it comes to such things.
Multiple problems here.

Pronger's presence alone had a positive effect on the team.

How do you know Carter isn't yet capable of rehab? Are you his doctor?

The Carter sighting was reported into the show by an eyewitness who was at the bar and could plainly see him.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:13 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
The Carter sighting was reported into the show by an eyewitness who was at the bar and could plainly see him.
Personally I hope he got lucky that night..to alleviate some of that self-induced frustration....

Old
04-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
Multiple problems here.

Pronger's presence alone had a positive effect on the team.
No doubt, but he couldn't do much... and a guy who can't bend his knee isn't exactly capable of skating. Do you want Carter sitting on the bench in uniform acting like a cheerleader?

Quote:
How do you know Carter isn't yet capable of rehab? Are you his doctor?
Ah, if the knee is still swollen (entirely in the realm of possibility) then there isn't much you can do until that begins to go down. Additionally, he very well may hae started rehab... as said, how do you know he didn't do rehab AND go to a bar in the same day?

Quote:
Yes, because folks calling in from BARS are reliable WITNESSES. And, as noted, even if he was in Mad River... I don't really care, the dude is allowed to have a life.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Well Leino is mainly the one this year for that line having a falloff (turnovers)..possibly because of his bad hip so again he's another one we can use the "injury" trump card with but yesterday despite almost being a goat with a turnover he actually buried a shot to win the game because he beared down on the shot..something Carter needs to learn again by his own admission...
It wasn't just Leino. Briere slowed down as well... line as a whole was struggling.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:18 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
It wasn't just Leino. Briere slowed down as well... line as a whole was struggling.
True but thus far they've picked it up..hopefully it continues..again if our goaltending allows it!

Old
04-25-2011, 02:25 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
No doubt, but he couldn't do much... and a guy who can't bend his knee isn't exactly capable of skating. Do you want Carter sitting on the bench in uniform acting like a cheerleader?

Ah, if the knee is still swollen (entirely in the realm of possibility) then there isn't much you can do until that begins to go down. Additionally, he very well may hae started rehab... as said, how do you know he didn't do rehab AND go to a bar in the same day?

Yes, because folks calling in from BARS are reliable WITNESSES. And, as noted, even if he was in Mad River... I don't really care, the dude is allowed to have a life.

1) How do you know he can't bend his knee? Not trying to be a smart ass in any way Jester but where are you getting your info. from?

2) How do you know his knee is still swollen?

3) Yes he may very well have started rehab but then again he may not have. Either way, why spend your spare time drinking when you could be trying to get better?

4) Yes, because we all know the Flyers don't drink. I mean, all the times I have seen them drunk in bars in the city or down the shore was a mirage.

Carter never drinks. He is allergic to alcohol. So is Richards. In fact, they spend their free time in the summer in Church and helping old ladies cross the street.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Jester

Quote:
1) How do you know he can't bend his knee? Not trying to be a smart ass in any way Jester but where are you getting your info. from?
Ah, have you ever dinged your knee? A week removed, I doubt Carter has full flexibility.

Quote:
I don't. I didn't say it was. I said it wasn't outside the realm of possibility that it was.

Quote:
3) Yes he may very well have started rehab but then again he may not have. Either way, why spend your spare time drinking when you could be trying to get better?
So basically you want him working out 24 hours a day? Sorry, getting better doesn't work that way... rest is just as important to recuperation as rehab.

Quote:
4) Yes, because we all know the Flyers don't drink. I mean, all the times I have seen them drunk in bars in the city or down the shore was a mirage.

Carter never drinks. He is allergic to alcohol. So is Richards. In fact, they spend their free time in the summer in Church and helping old ladies cross the street.
WTF are you talking about dude? Who said they don't drink? Richards had a bottle of vodka in his locker... here's the real point: I don't care that they drink, and you shouldn't either. Does Carter strike you as someone out of shape?

In all seriousness, I think there is a decent chance Carter's season is going to be ended by surgery soon based on how quiet they've been about the thing outside of simply leaking that he was done for the series.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:

How is this supposed to work out? Sit around, and yell "GET BETTER" at your knee?

In all seriousness though, there's only so much rehab you can do in a day before it gets harmful. Trying to "get better" with every waking second of your day is probably going to aggravate the issue. Let the guy have a couple beers at night, geez.

edit: slower than Jester.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Jester

Part of the problem is that this isn't a musculature problem... the word is he has a MCL sprain (who knows how true that is). You can't do much to make that better... you need the swelling to go down around the joint, and the body to naturally heal itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medial_collateral_ligament

Old
04-25-2011, 02:40 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

I find it amusing to see all of you whiners complaining because young guys drink. I was drunk a lot when I was in my 20s and I was still able to get to work at 7 am and by evening I was ready for more. I still look back on those days fondly because I can't handle booze like that anymore!

Remember when Pronger had knee surgery really late in the off season? They waited because they weren't sure he'd need it. It's not uncommon to wait and see what happens because doctors would rather not operate if there is a chance the injury can heal on its own. All we know from the Flyers' brass is he has an MCL injury. The writers all said he was limping badly the night of the injury and that's it.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:44 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Part of the problem is that this isn't a musculature problem... the word is he has a MCL sprain (who knows how true that is). You can't do much to make that better... you need the swelling to go down around the joint, and the body to naturally heal itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medial_collateral_ligament
If it's ligament damage the only thing you can really do is work the surrounding muscles, so that it takes some of the load off the ligament.

If it is a tare, then the only thing he can do is weight for the swelling to go down and brace it for support, and wait till surgery.

I damaged my MCL, and I tried to train through it... worst idea ever. Took 2 years to fully recover, and even know and then if I go to hard there is some pain.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
If it's ligament damage the only thing you can really do is work the surrounding muscles, so that it takes some of the load off the ligament.

If it is a tare, then the only thing he can do is weight for the swelling to go down and brace it for support, and wait till surgery.

I damaged my MCL, and I tried to train through it... worst idea ever. Took 2 years to fully recover, and even know and then if I go to hard there is some pain.
Yeah, they can work on the joint a bit, but as far as actually "healing," working out isn't going to do much for his MCL itself. I imagine they're doing some stuff to get the inflammation out of the joint, but after that it's just a matter of the stability he has in the joint.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Not exactly shocking given that Boucher has missed an entire game, and been pulled in another... and came in relief of yet another.
Which is making my point, this team has lacked a consistent #1 goalie for @20 years.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:52 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post

It took me 12 weeks to get back to normal from mine. Stability is one issue but it also hurt like hell and for the first couple of weeks I had to go down stairs on my butt or take them one step at a time.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Which is making my point, this team has lacked a consistent #1 goalie for @20 years.
...right, but Boucher could have posted quite good numbers in Game 1... you don't know. So citing that Quick has faced 60 more SOG doesn't really phase me. He's also allowed 6 goals twice in that series.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
I have not read any reports about his knee, but there are forms of rehab which cna be done to help with all the above issues you have brought up, unless it is a tear in which case he would have been in surgery. Still trying to figure out exactly what is keeping him out.

Quote:
IF he is rehabbing and is suffering from swelling the last thing he should be doing is going out and being in a standing/sitting position, the proper care it to stay off the knee at all times, no weight bearing, a tens unit, ice, and elevation. So if he is serious about getting back to play the answer would be that going out is not the answer.

Quote:
He can do whatever he wants during the offseason, but once the post-season hits it is all about business where a game can make the difference between a Cup and going home. Even being sighted in a place where he should not be is going to raise speculation, remove yourself from any possible situation that could raise any doubt.

Closed Thread