HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your Roster next Season

Old
04-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Exactly. I'm focusing on the latter part. How close were we to the cap (excluding all the player bonuses), how many bonuses were met, and how Versteeg throws a wrench into all of this.

I know a lot of us followed the cap pretty closely throughout the year, and it seemed the way Capgeek totaled it; it included the bonuses (as if they were already meet), but also gave a secondary cap projection, which allowed the use of the bonuses.

For the most part it seemed we had a good cushion, but the deadline deal confuses things.
I didn't realize capgeek dropped the info for last year already... that's annoying. I know we were quite close, and given that we kept Z around and eventually had Leighton on at the very end, we are going to end up right at the top.

The real problem is that we don't know the bonus structures for Bob and JVR... they definitely do not have all bonuses because they'd have higher potential bonus numbers. I would expect a bit of overage though, as Bob definitely earned a couple for sure.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:24 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Here is what we currently have going into next season:

Quote:
FORWARDS
Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Jeff Carter ($5.272m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Kris Versteeg ($3.083m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Ian Laperriere ($1.166m) / Jody Shelley ($1.100m)
Blair Betts ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Matt Carle ($3.437m)
Braydon Coburn ($3.200m) / Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m) / Michael Leighton ($1.550m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000;
CAP PAYROLL: $58,969,155;
BONUSES: $1,700,000

CAP SPACE (18-man roster): $3,430,845
Now time to do some editing. With 3,430,845 in cap space we are still going to need to fill out some positions. Being honest, and this isnt just my prospect side, I think we need to start trusting some prospects a little more. Guys who can play on the 4th line or last pairing, instead of overpaying older guys who do the same thing, but cost more. There is 0 way to keep the defensive deph if we want a goalie, and I can see Homer trading one of them (I personally see Carle).

Two guys, I think that make pushes for a roster spot are Erik Gustafsson, and Matt Read. Gus for obvious reasons. He costs 900k, can play on the pp, and didnt look bad at all the games he played for us.

Matt Read is based off of what I have seen/what others have seen/ what the organization people have said. From what some (including PSPhantoms) have said, Matt Read, in just the 11 games he payed for the phantoms, is the most offensively ready prospect on the Flyers. Tim McManus said he hasnt seen anyone offensively talented as Read in the two seasons they have been in Adirondack. They signed read to a 1 way contract. He is also 24 years old. He played on top pp, 2nd line, and 2nd pk the first game he went to the phantoms. Obviously their team sucked, but for a guy straight out of college... not bad at all. This then comes into play, of us grabbing a goalie. Saving some of this money, should then allow us to spend some money on a goalie.

Now after we add in Read, Gustafsson, and another older defender for around 1 mil

Quote:
FORWARDS
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Kris Versteeg ($3.083m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jeff Carter ($5.272m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / XXXX ($2.000m)
Darroll Powe ($0.750m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Jody Shelley ($1.100m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Braydon Coburn ($3.200m)
XXXXX ($1.000m) / Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)
XXXX

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000;
CAP PAYROLL: $57,764,988;
BONUSES: $1,700,000
CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $4,635,012
Now we have 4,635,012 for a goalie, not including a bench guy. Now, how does much the Byz, Vokoun or Nabakov ask for? Personally, I'd go for Vokoun, and try getting him for around 4 mil. That might be pushing it though, since his current caphit is around 5.7, and I can see him asking around 5.0m ish. Bryz's current caphit is 4.25 mil. I can see him asking for a 250-500k raise to 4.5/4.75m mil.

Getting a goalie is going to be tricky depending on the price. I personally dont see them sending Bob down to the AHL. I see a 50/50 split between both goalies. One solution would be keeping Nodl, instead of the 2.000mil guy, saving about 1 mil. This would allow us to then spend the 4.5 or alittle under 5 mil for a goalie, while then having some space to have a 13 forward/7th defender. The only problem there is that you have a Nodl and a unknown Read (well unknown in the sense that we dont know how he will play, even if they think he can do it) in the top 9.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:40 PM
SolidSnakeUS

People keep adding Read. Is he even ready or ever considered NHL caliber?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:53 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
People keep adding Read. Is he even ready or ever considered NHL caliber?

He is considered the most offensive ready out of all the prospects. That including the high remarks he keeps getting from the Flyers brass, getting called up to the Black Aces when he doesnt have a contract this season, and including the kinda crazy contract he got. I was just adding a guy who I thought could have a chance of making it. In the end, I wouldnt be surprised if 0 prospects make it.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

1. Thanks so far.

2. Use Capgeek and think about it - there will be no bonus cushion next season.

3. What do you think about Versteeg + pick for Schneider? You get a Goalie that will battle it out with Bob and you get Cap Space for Leino

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:03 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
He is considered the most offensive ready out of all the prospects. That including the high remarks he keeps getting from the Flyers brass, getting called up to the Black Aces when he doesnt have a contract this season, and including the kinda crazy contract he got. I was just adding a guy who I thought could have a chance of making it. In the end, I wouldnt be surprised if 0 prospects make it.
I can say the 3 guys that probably will be signed this off season are Leino, Powe and Nodl. Pretty much guaranteed if you ask me. Read... I say he will only crack the line up if Versteeg is gone. What kind of player is Read anyways?

Old
04-25-2011, 03:35 PM
JVR21
G

I just want to point out that Asham is one of the best players on the Pens right now. We got rid of him for Shelley, whom is not even dressed for the playoffs and is paid a couple hundred thousand more than Asham. Nice move....

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
I just want to point out that Asham is one of the best players on the Pens right now. We got rid of him for Shelley, whom is not even dressed for the playoffs and is paid a couple hundred thousand more than Asham. Nice move....
The Shelley contract was, is, and always will be atrocious... and that's independent of the Asham decision (which I didn't like either).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
I was thinking about this on Saturday. It really pisses me off.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:31 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The Shelley contract was, is, and always will be atrocious... and that's independent of the Asham decision (which I didn't like either).
Asham was an okay third liner, he just did not play defense/floated a lot.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:45 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I can say the 3 guys that probably will be signed this off season are Leino, Powe and Nodl. Pretty much guaranteed if you ask me. Read... I say he will only crack the line up if Versteeg is gone. What kind of player is Read anyways?
Kinda reminds me of Danny Briere, but can actually play defense. As some pretty good vision, including a drop pass goal and a Giroux like saucer pass to Ryan. He scores a good amount of his goals being in the right spots, whether that be crashing the net or waiting in the slot.

Old
04-25-2011, 04:53 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Kinda reminds me of Danny Briere, but can actually play defense. As some pretty good vision, including a drop pass goal and a Giroux like saucer pass to Ryan. He scores a good amount of his goals being in the right spots, whether that be crashing the net or waiting in the slot.
Sadly, the only video I've found of Read is him being boarded by the dumbass Leblanc.

Old
04-25-2011, 06:38 PM
SolidSnakeUS

On a personal level, I'd still LOVE, LOVE to have Gagne back. But that's wishful thinking.

Old
04-25-2011, 06:44 PM
iamcanadian23

Would be so nice if Shelley and Walker retired.

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:48 PM
phillyfanatic

No to bryzgalov!!! He just fired his agent and hired the guy who gets goalies the most money. They say, he is going top bidder and could care less about winning. Sounds like Roman, no thanks!

If we spend, Vokoun. I proposed bernier because i think he is the next great goalie not starting in the nhl. Still an rfa after this contract. We dont have the cap room to just sign big name ufas.

If we do trade versteeg or other top 9 forwards, please get prospect/picks back.

I love LA!! They will overpay with postseason failure abd have great prospects. I like Jeff Carter, but i am also OK with the forwards if he isxnot there.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:49 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Sadly, the only video I've found of Read is him being boarded by the dumbass Leblanc.
Go to AHL Live. If you go to ahl.com and see what games Read has played just watch those videos. Some nice passes/goals.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:54 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I didn't realize capgeek dropped the info for last year already... that's annoying. I know we were quite close, and given that we kept Z around and eventually had Leighton on at the very end, we are going to end up right at the top.

The real problem is that we don't know the bonus structures for Bob and JVR... they definitely do not have all bonuses because they'd have higher potential bonus numbers. I would expect a bit of overage though, as Bob definitely earned a couple for sure.
Here is last years information:
http://www.capgeek.com/tracker/index.php

Old
04-25-2011, 07:58 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
I would not count on Read for next year. He was a point per game player in college the past couple of years, no playoff experience and a point per game guy in the AHL, no playoffsm, zero international experience. I would say REGARDLESS of if he is going to be a good player for us, we plan on him starting in the AHL next year.

Old
04-25-2011, 08:08 PM
phillyfanatic

Capgeek shows us with 79,000 in cap space and has the following quote

"When the bonus cushion is in affect, teams can exceed the salary cap in performance bonuses by up to 7.5 percent of the salary cap's upper limit. Should performance bonuses actually earned at season's end push them past the salary cap's upper limit, the excess bonuses earned will be carried over as a penalty to the team's cap payroll the following season."

So, we can go to 63.855 million.

JVR and Bob bonuses CANNOT take us past that number, so no penalty next year.

Jester is correct on next year, there is no "cushion", as in....there is no 7.5% at the end of the year bonuses are allowed to go over the cap, so next year.....we have to think of JVR and Bob/whomever as true numbers and not their before bonus number.

Old
04-25-2011, 08:32 PM
BringBackStevens

I would look to move Timonen for picks and prospects since he is going downhill and we need more prospects.

Carle will step up to be this teams #2 defensemen.

I would look into getting Randy Jones back for the third pair. He would be a fantastic fit with the rest of these guys out there.

This might be from out in left field but I would look into getting back Pyorala. He would really help our lackluster bottom 6.

For a scoring winger upgrade I would throw Patrick Thoreson a nice offer. He's torching the league he's in now, somewhere over seas my buddy told me

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:35 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
I would look to move Timonen for picks and prospects since he is going downhill and we need more prospects.

I would look into getting Randy Jones back for the third pair. He would be a fantastic fit with the rest of these guys out there.

This might be from out in left field but I would look into getting back Pyorala. He would really help our lackluster bottom 6.

For a scoring winger upgrade I would throw Patrick Thoreson a nice offer. He's torching the league he's in now, somewhere over seas my buddy told me
Mr....Stevens?

I've always been a huge fan of Kimmo, but after watching these playoffs I'm now convinced his cap hit would be better spent on an elite goaltender. Getting nice picks and/or prospects for him would be nice if we were guaranteed a great goalie.

Old
04-25-2011, 08:39 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Mr....Stevens?

I've always been a huge fan of Kimmo, but after watching these playoffs I'm now convinced his cap hit would be better spent on an elite goaltender. Getting nice picks and/or prospects for him would be nice if we were guaranteed a great goalie.
Yes agreed. I would look to trade him to Tampa for Riku Helenuis, their 2nd next year, and maybe if we are lucky a guy like Panik

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:06 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Yes agreed. I would look to trade him to Tampa for Riku Helenuis, their 2nd next year, and maybe if we are lucky a guy like Panik
I'd be looking for much more than that.

Old
04-26-2011, 03:08 AM
dats81

Quote:

We don't need prospects, we need a goalie for a serious cup run! We are not in rebuilding mode (yet).

Haven't seen Randy Jones, Pyorala or Thoreson being mentioned on this board for a long time. Are you living in the past? Just kidding...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote