HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News and Notes from Breakup Day

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-25-2011, 02:43 PM
  #26
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,450
vCash: 500
Torts was a bit subtler, but reading between the lines, his message to Drury is the following:


azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:43 PM
  #27
bmw2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,472
vCash: 500
I personally think Drury will be back next season simply because his contract is still in effect. Sather has no rights to ask him to retire. He will be a Ranger next season unless he is injured and not capable of staying on the ice with his skates on. 7 mil dollars is a lot of green to turn it down. He can't be blamed for Sather's mistakes.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:44 PM
  #28
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,450
vCash: 500
Sather has every right in the world to buy Drury out.

Which he should.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:45 PM
  #29
lJuicel
Registered User
 
lJuicel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Drury does sound like hes coming back..........sadly.
I'm not sure what to think of Cally, he was great.....but what is a fair price for him ?

lJuicel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:48 PM
  #30
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,528
vCash: 500
http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord

Quote:
Torts said Drury's future with team is something that needs to be discussed.
Quote:
Torts says "intangibles" that a player like Drury brings has to be considered but "you can't let intangibles override other things."
Quote:
Torts on Drury: "Dru is getting older. That's why he has a chronic knee."
Quote:
Torts also said future roles for veterans Prospal and Fedotenko needs to be discussed.
Quote:
Torts not bubbling over Avery's role next season. Says he needs to play consistently but will get opportunity in training camp.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:56 PM
  #31
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,564
vCash: 500
When Avery plays like he did in the playoffs you can tell that Torts had no issue using him quite a bit. It's about consistency and with Avery's quote, you can tell he has been scared of taking too many penalties. It'll be interesting to see how it works out.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:57 PM
  #32
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
When Avery plays like he did in the playoffs you can tell that Torts had no issue using him quite a bit. It's about consistency and with Avery's quote, you can tell he has been scared of taking too many penalties. It'll be interesting to see how it works out.
My gut says Wolski and Drury are bought out/traded, and Avery is brought back for his final contract year.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:00 PM
  #33
Ke11y96
Registered User
 
Ke11y96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
To me its still a matter of being in a cap world and getting the most for your money and I wouldn't be surprised if Drury, Wolski, and Avery are all bought out...

Their cap damage is 12.788

Bought out their damage is 4.7875

The difference is 8.0005 in cap dollars

The three gave us 1 goal and 4 assists in the playoffs..

In reg season it was 1 goal 4 assists in 24 games for Drury
Wolski was like 6 g 13 a in 37 games pace for roughly 40 pts
Avery 3 g 21 a in 76 games

48 points for almost 13 million in cap dollars I think if they can't move Wolski by the end of buyout period he's toast as is the other two because clearly Torts has moved on from the usage of Avery and Drury...

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:08 PM
  #34
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,564
vCash: 500
You have to remember that you get a two year cap hit. Considering the Rangers would have to buyout Avery's full cap hit, and are only paying him $2M... you're talking about taking a cap hit of 2.5M over two years instead of 2M over one year.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:10 PM
  #35
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
To me its still a matter of being in a cap world and getting the most for your money and I wouldn't be surprised if Drury, Wolski, and Avery are all bought out...

Their cap damage is 12.788

Bought out their damage is 4.7875

The difference is 8.0005 in cap dollars

The three gave us 1 goal and 4 assists in the playoffs..

In reg season it was 1 goal 4 assists in 24 games for Drury
Wolski was like 6 g 13 a in 37 games pace for roughly 40 pts
Avery 3 g 21 a in 76 games

48 points for almost 13 million in cap dollars I think if they can't move Wolski by the end of buyout period he's toast as is the other two because clearly Torts has moved on from the usage of Avery and Drury...
It's a no brainer that Drury cannot come back next year. Retirement would've been preferable, a trade would've been second best, but buying him out still is a net positive for this team.

Wolski's a bit tougher of a question, because there's definitely potential there, but I trust in Torts judgment, and I honestly don't think Wolski is ever going to figure it out. Of course Sather will try to trade him, but due to the favorable buyout rules for him, buying out Wolski makes a lot of sense.

Wojtek Wolski buyout from CapGeek.com

* 2011-12: $466,667
* 2012-13: $666,667

Avery's the toughest decision, imo. He showed some value in the playoffs, which, I believe, redeemed himself in Torts eyes a bit. Brining him back to play with Boyle and Prust as a 3rd/4th line makes sense to me, because the value of buying him out isn't as big as Drury/Wolski. Avery costs us 1.93m against the cap. If we buy him out, the cost is split between us and Dallas:

* 2011-12: $1,208,333
* 2012-13: $1,333,333

Even at only half of that buyout cost, the savings for Avery are not enough to buy him out, imo. Even though I don't expect Avery to contribute significantly next year, I don't think you can replace him with $1.3m. In the case of a Drury ($3.3m in savings) and Wolski ($3.2m in savings) buyout, the savings outweigh their expected contributions to the team. Most importantly, the impact on our cap in 2012-2013 would be minor.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:13 PM
  #36
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,564
vCash: 500
Do you split the buyout with the other team? I'd figure you'd take the whole hit.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:14 PM
  #37
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
You have to remember that you get a two year cap hit. Considering the Rangers would have to buyout Avery's full cap hit, and are only paying him $2M... you're talking about taking a cap hit of 2.5M over two years instead of 2M over one year.
We would split the buyout with Dallas, so it would be less, but what it comes down to for me is the following:

1) Can you replace Avery with $1.3m? Possibly, but not a guarantee. Is it worth a $700k cap hit in 2012-2013 to try? Probably not.

2) Can you replace Drury with $3.3m? Absolutely. Is it worth a $1,666,667 cap hit in 2012-2013 to try? I say yes.

3) Can you replace Wolski with $3.2m? Almost certainly. Is it worth a $666,667 cap hit in 2012-2013 to try? I say yes, again.


Therefore, Drury and Wolski get bought out, Avery comes back for his final year.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:18 PM
  #38
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
We would split the buyout with Dallas, so it would be less, but what it comes down to for me is the following:

1) Can you replace Avery with $1.3m? Possibly, but not a guarantee. Is it worth a $700k cap hit in 2012-2013 to try? Probably not.

2) Can you replace Drury with $3.3m? Absolutely. Is it worth a $1,666,667 cap hit in 2012-2013 to try? I say yes.

3) Can you replace Wolski with $3.2m? Almost certainly. Is it worth a $666,667 cap hit in 2012-2013 to try? I say yes, again.


Therefore, Drury and Wolski get bought out, Avery comes back for his final year.
I agree...assuming Wolski can't be traded for a bag of pucks. A trade should obviously be explored before he is bought out.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:18 PM
  #39
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I agree...assuming Wolski can't be traded for a bag of pucks. A trade should obviously be explored before he is bought out.
Definitely.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:23 PM
  #40
Revelation
Reanimated
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers4life10 View Post
Quote:
Glad to see Dubinsky doesn't want to be a ****** this time around. Hopefully it'll get done very smoothly and quickly.
How was Dubi a ***** last time around? Sather tried to bend him over a barrel with his stubbornness and lowball offers. In the end he got a whopping $1.85M, what a *****! And he was our leading scorer while Drury and Gaborik (and Redden... lulz) laughed all the way to the bank.

Just because a player holds out does not mean it's always their fault. I'm not saying that Dubi was completely in the right last time, but the salary he ended up with certainly wasn't ludicrous (and he actually earned it unlike some players on our team).

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:25 PM
  #41
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,388
vCash: 500
the thought of another year of drury makes me ill.

watching him look like such a dufus makes my eyes bleed.

he makes slow look fast.

im sure it will be one magic injury after another that keeps him off the ice anyway.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:26 PM
  #42
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,272
vCash: 500
I want to see Torts' exact quotes on Drury and Avery not paraphrases. I hope Gross or Staple or someone puts them up on their blogs.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:26 PM
  #43
SomebodySaveKreider
Registered User
 
SomebodySaveKreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
How was Dubi a ***** last time around? Sather tried to bend him over a barrel with his stubbornness and lowball offers. In the end he got a whopping $1.85M, what a *****! And he was our leading scorer while Drury and Gaborik (and Redden... lulz) laughed all the way to the bank.

Just because a player holds out does not mean it's always their fault. I'm not saying that Dubi was completely in the right last time, but the salary he ended up with certainly wasn't ludicrous (and he actually earned it unlike some players on our team).
Apparently Dubinsky was asking for $4 million. He definitely didn't deserve it at that time.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:26 PM
  #44
Revelation
Reanimated
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
We would split the buyout with Dallas, so it would be less, but what it comes down to for me is the following:

1) Can you replace Avery with $1.3m? Possibly, but not a guarantee. Is it worth a $700k cap hit in 2012-2013 to try? Probably not.

2) Can you replace Drury with $3.3m? Absolutely. Is it worth a $1,666,667 cap hit in 2012-2013 to try? I say yes.

3) Can you replace Wolski with $3.2m? Almost certainly. Is it worth a $666,667 cap hit in 2012-2013 to try? I say yes, again.


Therefore, Drury and Wolski get bought out, Avery comes back for his final year.
Good post. I agree.

It's sad to see us give up on Wolski so soon, as I really think he may be able to get better given a good offseason and training camp with Torts. But, if the choice is Wolski, or being able to fit Richards in AND resign all of our RFAs, the choice is easy.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:31 PM
  #45
Revelation
Reanimated
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
Apparently Dubinsky was asking for $4 million. He definitely didn't deserve it at that time.
Of course he was asking for more. That's the way negotiations work. All I'm saying is that Sather is notoriously shrewd with all of our RFAs. Seeing him throw a blank check at mercenaries like Gomez, Drury, Redden, Gaborik, etc., and then try to lowball and job the guys that have come through our system just rubs me the wrong way.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:33 PM
  #46
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Any quotes about Fedotenko??? With Torts here It seems like he might be back...I wouldn't mind him on next years team

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:35 PM
  #47
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,528
vCash: 500
It seems like JT wants Drury gone, kinda, dosen't it?

Work your magic Glen.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:41 PM
  #48
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
How was Dubi a ***** last time around? Sather tried to bend him over a barrel with his stubbornness and lowball offers. In the end he got a whopping $1.85M, what a *****! And he was our leading scorer while Drury and Gaborik (and Redden... lulz) laughed all the way to the bank.

Just because a player holds out does not mean it's always their fault. I'm not saying that Dubi was completely in the right last time, but the salary he ended up with certainly wasn't ludicrous (and he actually earned it unlike some players on our team).
Because when you are negotiating your first contract after your entry level contract, you should not be the one playing boss. I love Duby, don't get me wrong, but who the hell does he think he is holding out all the way until September for his first real contract, demanding 4 million?

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:41 PM
  #49
SomebodySaveKreider
Registered User
 
SomebodySaveKreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Of course he was asking for more. That's the way negotiations work. All I'm saying is that Sather is notoriously shrewd with all of our RFAs. Seeing him throw a blank check at mercenaries like Gomez, Drury, Redden, Gaborik, etc., and then try to lowball and job the guys that have come through our system just rubs me the wrong way.
And he also missed a lot of camp while holding out.

I agree that you should take care of your own first, but you can't throw a blank check at them either.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:43 PM
  #50
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
It seems like JT wants Drury gone, kinda, dosen't it?

Work your magic Glen.
For all the **** we give Sather around here he does have an uncanny ability to make guys disappear.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.