HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Arthur Staple-Wolski will be bought out

Old
04-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
You are correct.

Also, worth noting:

Michal Rozsival buyout from CapGeek.com

* 2011-12: $3,000,000
* 2012-13: $1,000,000

Wojtek Wolski buyout from CapGeek.com

* 2011-12: $466,667
* 2012-13: $666,667

If the plan was to clear up cap space for Richards, Sather was still a genius for trading Rozi for Wolski. Wolski had some boom potential, which we now see is unlikely to be reached, so cutting bait to bring make room f or a big fish makes a lot of sense, imo.

Buying Wolski and Drury to bring in Richards is a huge improvement in the strength of our team.
And it would open up an extra roster spot for someone like Kreider, Thomas, Hagelin, or Grachev to come into camp and earn a spot on the team.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:09 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
You are correct.

Also, worth noting:

If the plan was to clear up cap space for Richards, Sather was still a genius for trading Rozi for Wolski. Wolski had some boom potential, which we now see is unlikely to be reached, so cutting bait to bring make room f or a big fish makes a lot of sense, imo.

Buying Wolski and Drury to bring in Richards is a huge improvement in the strength of our team.
i agree. completely. as long as we get BR. looks like w2 has to go for us to get BR. if so, i can get on board. the thought of moving w2 and keeping drury and not getting BR is tough to imagine.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Eh, Wolski & Gaborik were 2 of our most inconsistent forwards this year... Not exactly the recipe for any long-standing chemistry between the two.
True, but they ARE arguably our two most skilled offensive players. I'm not saying they'd be a dominant line or anything, but with the right center (ex. Brad Richards), it could be something to worry about.

Wolski has something we really lack: Goal-scoring ability. Maybe he didn't show it that much since he came here, but similar to Gabby, he needs a solid playmaking center with him.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
You are correct.

Also, worth noting:

I'm sure this was the plan all along. It's a chess game and Sather had his options:

A) WW plays well and we upgrade offense by trading a vet D-man who doesn't wuite fit on the young roster

or

B) WW plays ok (or crappy) and we buy him out for a ton more savings than if we did it with Rozi

Very smart IMHO

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:11 PM
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!

Let's just buyout everyone!!

Man, this team is getting to be a joke in this regard. The Rangers remind me of JP Morgan. When you make a mistake, just shell out some cash and make it go away.

F You, Sather!

I understand the logic vs. buying out Rozi... but the overall mentality is very flawed.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:12 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
You are correct.

Also, worth noting:

Sather's magic striking again

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TrollololBoyle

I'm more concerned about Redden and Boogaard, any news on them?

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dedalus

Look! Sather's going to make another trade disappear!

What a magician!!!!!

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Buy out Wolski? How about we skip that and keep him and buy out the captain.

Wolski has skill, why would we get rid of him?

There is a better chance Wolski earns his 3 mil next year than Drury earning his 7 mil.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:21 PM
beef 4 lunch

I'd prefer to keep WW and play him in a skill role and play him with other players that play a similar style.

I dont hold him to the same expectation as Boyle, Feds, Cally. He plays a different game and I think he would benefit greatly from players that think the game like him.

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:22 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

A lot of this doesn't make sense.

Prospal should be kept, especially if you can get him for a cheap cap hit. Eminger and Gilroy should be cut loose. I guess you buy out Wolski if you can't trade him for picks and or prospects. Shame to waste ,money on even 1/3 of his cap hit.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:22 PM
NYRandazzo

Here is a thought, maybe a little more of a wish than practical but hear me out.

Tampa Bay needs a goalie and are tight with cap space. Still have to sign Stamkos and Hedman. Smith and Roloson are UFA's and neither are good enough to be a starting goalie. Roloson is 42 so figure he's going to retire. That leaves them with out a starter or back up goalie. The best goalie for them to sign is Bryzgalov. Still only 30 years old. Vokoun is still out there but he's 33 and wants more than or equal to his 5.7 million contract. I don't even think Sather would agree to sign an above average goalie who is 33 at 5.7 million.

Theoretically speaking lets say Bryzgalov gets signed elsewhere and TB isn't interested in any other goalies as a starter for what ever reason. I think we can trade MDZ, Biron, and Grachev for St. Louis, and two other players.Maybe Hedman knowing he's due for a big raise next summer (I'm not familiar with TB depth only their top end guys).

It won't be and equal talent trade but TB has to dump off cap space and we can use a guy like St. Louis. He'll be cheaper than Richards (5.25) and is a 1st line winger. Grachev hasn't impressed me at all in his 8 games up or even with Hartford. 153 games and 66 points. Dump him now before other GM's realize he's not what his potential is. A puck moving defenseman that they wanted in MDZ, and a steal in Biron for 1.25 million a year. Biron is good enough to start on about 15 teams in the NHL or play around 30 games.

We can take advantage of TBs cap dilemma and offer them something they can't refuse. Yes I know we are in our own problem when it comes to cap space but we are not as bad as Tampa.

Thoughts, comments?

NYRandazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:25 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post

There is a better chance Wolski earns his 3 mil next year than Drury earning his 7 mil.
They both should be bought out, because neither is going to contribute as much value as their buyout savings. $3.3m in Drury's case, $3.2m in Wolski's.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post

First, its not either or, why are you freaking out?

Second, Wolski and Torts don't like each other to put it nicely. If he has skill and never gets a chance to really use it whats the point of keeping a player the coach doesn't want to use, and at that cap hit? Shootouts? Our money guy in the shootout is Henke, always has been

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:26 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRandazzo View Post
Thoughts, comments?
I think you're living in a fantasy land.

Tampa does not need to dump cap space, they have a ton of that. St. Louis won't be traded, nor will Hedman, especially for a **** package like MDZ, Grachev, and Biron.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Buy out Wolski?

Okay, I suppose its fine by me. The cap hit is negligible; 466k isn't even enough for another roster player.

We'll see what they do. For being so high on the "core guys" this season, I am hearing a lot of discontent. Prospal and Fedotenko both need to be considered for one year extensions. Richards is a must.

I also like the talk about a defenseman who can bring offense. We are one very good piece away from a complete defensive unit, as opposed to the end of this year, were we were one injury away from shambles.

04-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Fleury4ever

Wolski strikes me as someone who will sign with Detroit and score like 80 points next year.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:29 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
A lot of this doesn't make sense.

Prospal should be kept, especially if you can get him for a cheap cap hit. Eminger and Gilroy should be cut loose. I guess you buy out Wolski if you can't trade him for picks and or prospects. Shame to waste ,money on even 1/3 of his cap hit.
vinny is done. his wheels are shot. its time to retire.

i would keep ftank over vinny. 1 year deal. he played well this year and against wash.

eminger is a waste. torts played girlroy over eminger. both should be gonzo.

w2 should be kept is possible.

capt quaalude is bought out exactly 1 second after he can be. maybe not even wait that long.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:30 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Why would you not keep both Prospal and Fedotenko if they can be re-signed cheap? They both make a lot of sense, especially if you're getting Richards.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:31 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

It's not under 25. It's under 26. 1/3 buyout.

Quote:
(d) If the Club elects to terminate this SPC pursuant to this Paragraph 13, it shall be
obligated to pay to the Player, in equal semi-monthly installments, to be paid in
accordance with the payroll payment schedule applicable to the Club's Act ive
Roster, over twice the remaining term of the SPC (the "Buy-Out Period"):
(i) if the Player is under 26 years of age at the time the termination is
effective, an amount equal to 1/3 o
f, or
(ii) if the Player is 26 years of age or older at the time the termination is
effective, an amount equal to 2/3 of the total fixed amount of the Player's Paragraph 1 NHL
Salary, for the unexpired fixed-term of this SPC, reduced by any advance payment of Paragraph
1 Salary received by the Player prior to the date the termination is effective.
(e) Upon termination, the Player shall immediately be an Unrestricted Free Agent and
shall no longer be obligated to perform under this SPC.

(f) Waiver claim of Player by another Club shall pre-empt and relinquish Club's Buy-
Out obligation, due to failure to clear Waivers
page 251. SPC exhibit.

Wolski can be bought out at 1/3 due to his age

Wolski has to clear waivers before he can be bought out. If another team claims him,Wolski is a member of that team. Obviously no buyout.

He becomes a free agent if he clears waivers and his contract is bought out.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
I'm fully aware that Vinny can't skate.

You also can't ignore the fact that he has put up the best PPG of any ranger player over the past two years save Gaborik, and is the closest thing we have to a first liner and power play guy next to Gabs.

I think if you get Vinny on a line with Richards and Gaborik next year, it will come together. And if he can't make it then, well, we have other options. I doubt it'll take another full 2.1 mil to get Vinny back here next year.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

Second, Wolski and Torts don't like each other to put it nicely. If he has skill and never gets a chance to really use it whats the point of keeping a player the coach doesn't want to use, and at that cap hit? Shootouts? Our money guy in the shootout is Henke, always has been
Can you prove this or is this just talk and rumors?

Old
04-25-2011, 02:34 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

see now i happen to agree with this. can you blame him. hes being ''lisin'd '' bad. torts is fairly predictable.

torts is a love or hate guy. he either loves you or hates you. same with the player. love or hate. no in between.

im afraid that guys like hank, gaborik, mza and wolski fall into the hate category. both ways.

funny, all the euros. i still say torts hates european players.

this is one of the reasons i would not be heart broken to see torts shown the door.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:34 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I'm fully aware that Vinny can't skate.

You also can't ignore the fact that he has put up the best PPG of any ranger player over the past two years save Gaborik, and is the closest thing we have to a first liner and power play guy next to Gabs.

I think if you get Vinny on a line with Richards and Gaborik next year, it will come together. And if he can't make it then, well, we have other options. I doubt it'll take another full 2.1 mil to get Vinny back here next year.
I think you need Dubinsky to be the LW with Richards and Gaborik to open up space, but that's why you bring back Prospal and play him with Artie and Callahan to maintain a solid offensive punch from your second line. Slow as Prospal is, he's still capable of putting up points and he's a better playmaker than anyone on the Rangers, and only Richards would surpass him in that regard if he's on the team.

Fedotenko you keep because he obviously works well with Prust and Boyle. Why break up a good thing?

Old
04-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Radek27

Quote:
They both should be bought out, because neither is going to contribute as much value as their buyout savings. $3.3m in Drury's case, $3.2m in Wolski's.
I think Wolski has 30 goal ability with the right linemates. That isn't worth 3 mil? We just paid Drury 7 mil for 1 goal. If Gabby had a hard time hitting 30 with this group of players why would Wolski fair any better?