HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Arthur Staple-Wolski will be bought out

Old
04-25-2011, 03:36 PM
NYRandazzo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
I think you're living in a fantasy land.

Tampa does not need to dump cap space, they have a ton of that. St. Louis won't be traded, nor will Hedman, especially for a **** package like MDZ, Grachev, and Biron.
Oops I read an article from 2010 that said they had a cap problem. Sorry about that.

NYRandazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
see now i happen to agree with this.

torts is a love or hate guy. he either loves you or hates you. same with the player. love or hate. no in between.

im afraid that guys like hank, gaborik, mza and wolski fall into the hate category. both ways.

funny, all the euros. i still say torts hates european players.

this is one of the reasons i would not be heart broken to see torts shown the door.
He loves Vinny P and Feds. So I don't think he hates Euros. No one can really say one way or another who he does love or hate, despite the language on the ice, and in the pressers.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:37 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Arthur Staple

http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...gers-1.2836614

Staple wrote the Rangers will attempt to sign Chris Kreider. He is their most ready NHL prospect.

Not really sure where is the room to re-sign Eminger. Adding an offensive D? Where is the $ coming from? Yesterday Staple wrote about the Rangers need to be patient with MDZ.

Not much room after re-signing the group II's and signing Richards. They don't have as much flexibility as Staple makes it out.
This is all pretty early. I'd imagine they're confident in MDZ's ability to battle for a spot at least to make it interesting, and I mean I think McDonagh, Sauer, Staal, and Girardi are secure ont he roster. The problem with re-signing Eminger AND Gilroy is that they'll eat up summer cap space and most likely only take up one roster spot if MDZ makes it.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:37 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury4ever View Post
Wolski strikes me as someone who will sign with Detroit and score like 80 points next year.
i disagree..

but i could see him putting up great numbers on a team that comes nowhere near the playoffs.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:38 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers09 View Post
Why buy-out Wolski? He has gotta be tradable for something. Even if he had an off year.

And also, wtf with Leino. That would be an absolute waste considering we have a million guys who do what he can do.

And curiousity... Are there any veteran defenseman with an offensive punch out there this year?
I think you're really overestimating Wolski's value

Old
04-25-2011, 03:39 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Leino is a good player but his agent wants $4M per. The Flyers want to re-sign Leino but they can't because of tagging. They can't have more money committed for next season which is more than the current upper limit. Leino at $4M put them over.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:39 PM
RangerFan10

the only place Wolski is putting up 80 points is Europe.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Why would you not keep both Prospal and Fedotenko if they can be re-signed cheap? They both make a lot of sense, especially if you're getting Richards.
Also, we would then have 2 tradeable assets come the trade deadline for what is essentially nothing. If something catastrophic were to happen and we find ourselves sellers, we would be able to get some decent picks in return for them.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:40 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
He loves Vinny P and Feds. So I don't think he hates Euros. No one can really say one way or another who he does love or hate, despite the language on the ice, and in the pressers.
loves vinny p..... they have a weird love hate thing. always have.

feds is the prototypical torts type player. he plays a very north american game.

show me a skilled offensive euro that torts is fond of. there arent many if any. they are never around long enough to show anything. they are shown the door quickly.

he trashed gaby last year almost to the day. you dont call out your star player. he did.

hes a tool.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:43 PM
frankthefrowner

I think Fedetenko will be resigned, Prospal Im up in the air about i love his ethusiasm but hes just getting a tad slow.

As far as WW, he reminds me alot of MArcel Hossa, he will have games where you go god damn hes good and then games where he doesnt exist. You could probably trade him for something but it would probably be garbage for garbage and i think the cap space is more valuable than getting someone in return.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:44 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Torts spoke about MDZ today

Quote:
Torts says he's "really anxious" to see Del Zotto in training camp because what DZ can bring if he's right is "something we need."
https://twitter.com/#!/AGrossRecord/...86490559004672

Delly has a $689,919 summer cap hit. He spent 118 days on the NHL roster this season.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:44 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

So.... it comes down to Brad Richards giving Torts new team a deal?

I hope they know what they are doing. This team has some potential, but so clearly needs elite talent to compete vs the contenders.

Brad Richards is a complete elite level hockey player. He's done it on two teams with different players around him. He does pretty much everything exceptionally well. If not for getting concussed this past season pretty much every team takes his agents call.

04-25-2011, 03:46 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
I think Fedetenko will be resigned, Prospal Im up in the air about i love his ethusiasm but hes just getting a tad slow.

As far as WW, he reminds me alot of MArcel Hossa, he will have games where you go god damn hes good and then games where he doesnt exist. You could probably trade him for something but it would probably be garbage for garbage and i think the cap space is more valuable than getting someone in return.
If Prospal is willing to come back around $1m (what he earned in 2009-2010), I definitely bring him back. However, if he's looking for the $2.5m he earned in 2010-2011, then we should part ways.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:48 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
loves vinny p..... they have a weird love hate thing. always have.

feds is the prototypical torts type player. he plays a very north american game.

show me a skilled offensive euro that torts is fond of. there arent many if any. they are never around long enough to show anything. they are shown the door quickly.

he trashed gaby last year almost to the day. you dont call out your star player. he did.

hes a tool.
Ha.

And yet, he was way, way nicer with him this season than Gaborik deserved.

He's not a tool.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GAGLine

Here's an idea that could possibly work to get rid of Drury. Not sure I 100% like it, but it's not an awful option and would clear an extra 3.3 mil this year.

Trade Drury to Florida for Olesz. Olesz has 3 years left @ 3.125 mil, but he is only 25 and his contract is backloaded, making it a very easy buyout:

2011-12: $372,222
2012-13: -$227,778
2013-14: -$477,778
2014-15: $647,222
2015-16: $647,222
2016-17: $647,222

That's not a typo. We would actually get a cap credit in 2012-13 and 2013-14.

Now, I'm sure you're asking yourself, why would Florida do it and why would Drury agree to it?

Drury has 5 mil left on his contract. Olesz has 11.65 mil. Buying out Drury would cost 3.33 mil in actual dollars. Buying out Olesz would cost 3.88 mil.

So Florida would do it because they can save 550k by buying out Drury instead of Olesz and they also get a bigger cap hit this year and next, making it easier for them to reach the cap floor.

Drury will do it because he's getting bought out either way. He'll never play for Florida, so there should be no issue with waiving his NMC.

Thoughts?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Torts spoke about MDZ today

https://twitter.com/#!/AGrossRecord/...86490559004672

Delly has a $689,919 summer cap hit. He spent 118 days on the NHL roster this season.

Hopefully all of the prospects that hit the wall are better next year. There is promise....

MDZ - I believe has yet to realize his potential and take the next step towards bona fide NHL talent

Zucco - I believe has yet to realize his potential and take the next step towards bona fide NHL talent

Stepan - I believe has yet to realize his potential and take the next step towards bona fide NHL talent

Steps really has less to prove, he's a kid who made it through the year despite hitting the wall. Can't wait till he gets faster, bigger and stronger.

Stepan the Man, is going to serve the Rangers well.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
I wish they could keep Wolski another year for less money. I really think he still has the talent with the right line-mates to make up for his sloth at times.
The right linemates? WW has played with any and everyone on three teams now and failed to find the "right" linemates. It's not his linemates that are the issue here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Has Arrived View Post
True, but they ARE arguably our two most skilled offensive players. I'm not saying they'd be a dominant line or anything, but with the right center (ex. Brad Richards), it could be something to worry about.

Wolski has something we really lack: Goal-scoring ability. Maybe he didn't show it that much since he came here, but similar to Gabby, he needs a solid playmaking center with him.
Wolski doesnt' play well with anybody.

A solid playmaking center? He spend significant time on the wing of both Joe Sakic and Paul Stastny, and never got anything going with either of them. He's just a guy who doesn't understand or want to use his teammates properly. He's played with an array of star guys over the last few years, and he has never developed much with any of them.

He's got all the skill, but nothing else.

Buying him out is hands down the right move and the Rangers deserve credit for having the balls to do it.

Helton4Hall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
the only place Wolski is putting up 80 points is Europe.
I'm not making a hard number prediction - just pointing out he seems ripe to be bought low by a team with a good system who will maximize his value. If that were a possession team like DET he could easily surpass his career high 65 points.

I don't think that will happen w/ NYR so this split should help both parties.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:52 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Ranger Boy -- if the Rangers buy out Wolski, can they sign him back for less $? He's not terrible, just badly overpaid. Can't remember if CBA allows this. Thanks
Yes they could, it was only the first buy out period after the CBA was signed you couldn't. That being said I am guessing Wolski would probably hold ill feelings signing back unless the Rangers offered him the most cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
but i could see him putting up great numbers on a team that comes nowhere near the playoffs.
He has toronto written all over him. lol

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Evgeny Oliker

I like it!

I didnt think we could buy out Wolsk so cheaply! I think that if we cannot trade him for a late pick, then this buy-out is a good idea.

Yes, he is young, but he is the opposite of what we need. He is another soft, playmaking winger. What we need are wingers who can actually SCORE. Prospal , although not soft, is again not much of a scorer at this point in his career, so I'm ok with letting him go. Frolov was a failure, so was McCabe. If we can also buy-out Drury, we will save quite a bit of money by getting rid of these 4 players! I dont mind keeping Eminger as the 7th dman if he is cheap.

The big question will remain what to do with Redden, as I heard that we cannot just send him to the minors again this year. Is that correct?

With Wolski gone, Id like to try Boyle on the wing...he does get to the net very well from the wing position, has a hard shot, just needs to improve its accuracy.

My Lineup:
Gaborik - Dubinsky - Callahan
Kreider - Stepan - Boyle
Fedotenko - Anisimov - MZA
Prust - Christensen - Avery
Boogaard

Staal - Del Zotto
Girardi - Gilroy
Sauer - McDonaugh
Eminger

I'm again not sure if we will have the cap room for a guy like Brad Richards. We may however have enough cap room to make some good moves at next season's trade deadline!

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:55 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
Ha.

And yet, he was way, way nicer with him this season than Gaborik deserved.

He's not a tool.
you sure.

hes got an elite goalscorer with perhaps the fastest snap shot in the entire league- a guy who layed a 5 spot on hank a few years back btw, playing on a team of plumbers who counterattack and trap.

gaby always was on the wrong side on the pp this season. always. is that gaby suddenly forgetting how to play or torts and his staff telling him to go there.

his centerman this year were erik freekin christensen, a russian 3c, stepan- a first year rook, a hobbled prospal and dubi playing out of position.

geeez. and we expect him to score goals.

torts called him out last year and that was wrong. period.

not doing it this year shows he learned his lesson to keep his pie hole shut.

hes still a tool though.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:58 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Good, Wolski is/was not a good fit for our system.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Can you prove this or is this just talk and rumors?
You could see it unfold during a few games in March. They had an altercation on the road. I posted about it but I guess I'm the only one who caught it.

But again, he's butted heads with Henke, Gabby, Avery, Drury, and players that are no longer here. Its almost as if he's doing the opposite Renney act just to do it and prove a point that nobody rides for free, which I never thought they were doing in the first place. He's just that kind of coach.

Quote:
see now i happen to agree with this. can you blame him. hes being ''lisin'd '' bad. torts is fairly predictable.

torts is a love or hate guy. he either loves you or hates you. same with the player. love or hate. no in between.

im afraid that guys like hank, gaborik, mza and wolski fall into the hate category. both ways.

funny, all the euros. i still say torts hates european players.

this is one of the reasons i would not be heart broken to see torts shown the door.
Its frustrating. He'll bench ya, but he won't do his own work and find a better mix.

And no I don't think he discriminates, just cocky and arrogant like his boss. And the results have been fabulous !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:59 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
The big question will remain what to do with Redden, as I heard that we cannot just send him to the minors again this year. Is that correct?
We can send Redden to the minors again. The problem is that it can't be done until the end of training camp and he will count against the summer cap until then. The summer cap is 10% higher than the in-season cap, but Redden will eat up all of that and a little more. The cap is currently projected to be 62.2 mil next year. 10% of that would be 6.22 mil. Redden's cap hit is 6.5 mil.

So Redden isn't a problem once we get to the season, but during the summer, his cap hit gives us less flexibility. The possibility exists that he will choose to terminate his contract so that he can play in the NHL again. If that happens, his cap hit is gone and he will be UFA.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

eh not sure how I feel about Wojtek. He has skill no doubt, but he is maddeningly inconsistent. It is the last year so I would hold on to him, and try to sign a big ticket name next season with him and Drury coming off the books

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote