HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCQF Game 6 | Sharks @ Kings | Monday, 4/25 @ 7PM | FS Prime, TSN, RDS, CSN-CA

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2011, 01:41 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
For the Kings to have a shot at pulling this off I think Quick is going to have to get into the Sharks' heads a little. Not that he has to be perfect, just has to get San Jose thinking that he is superior to their goaltending and that might not be too tough.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Personally, I think the Kings are going to need to win this game in order to have a chance at winning this series. They lose this game and they probably won't be playing in the second round.

I'm pretty sure this one is a must win. You know, the most important game of the season. If the Kings can manage to score more goals than San Jose, they'll probably end up winning the game. That is the key to tonight: score more than San Jose. I just can't see them winning this game if they don't score the most goals. Hopefully Terry Murray reinforces this tonight before the game.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:49 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Personally, I think the Kings are going to need to win this game in order to have a chance at winning this series. They lose this game and they probably won't be playing in the second round.

I'm pretty sure this one is a must win. You know, the most important game of the season.
Yeah, even TM would be forced to admit TONIGHT is a MUST WIN

Old
04-25-2011, 02:03 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Remember in 2001 vs. Detroit having no doubts they were going to close out the Wings. Kings had all the momentum in the world. Even entering the 3rd down a goal you just knew they were going to win.
... The momentum changed in that series with Yzerman and Shanahan getting injured in the first two games. Detroit won the first two handily, and the Kings were ready to get swept like they did the year before. Without their two leading offensive players, Detroit didn't score any more than three goals in any of the last four games (after scoring nine goals in the first two) and they had to rely on an aging defense (Chelios was 39, Murphy 39, Duchesne 39) while Scotty Bowman was forced to play Lidstrom for a half hour per game. After the Fluke on Figueroa in game 4, it became evident that the stars were aligning for the Kings in that series. Every break was going their way.

Quote:
2001 vs. Colorado. It was a late afternoon start. After a Lakers game. It was festive outside Staples. I was a senior in HS. I was hammered. The whole day was a blur, the only plays I remember are the OT goal and Bourque pulling down Palffy with the Avs on a PP in the final minute to make it 4 on 4. Chanting Paaaaaatrick Paaaaaatrick after Muzz beat him in OT. I really thought the Kings were going to finish it off in Colorado in Game 7. Still a painful loss 10 years later. Because IMO the Kings and Avs were the 2 best teams in the NHL at that point. Kings would have steamrolled the Blues in the WCF's.
... To this day, I don't know how the Kings were able to take Colorado to 7 that season. The Avs outclassed the Kings in every way, and that series was a pattern of "Kings get beat handily, then scrape out a win by one goal, then get beat handily again, then scrape out another one goal win" before finally getting stomped at the end, and in fact the '01 Kings are the only team in NHL history to win 7 games or more in a post-season year with ALL of their wins coming by one goal. To say the Kings were the one of the two top teams in the NHL - well, that's your opinion, so OK. As for "steamrolling" the Blues that year, the Kings were 1-2-1 against St. Louis during the season, so I doubt that would have happened. I saw the Kings as simply a lower-tier playoff team (as so often is the case with the Kings, this season being a perfect example) and their Cinderella run was bound to turn into a pumpkin at some point.

Quote:
2002 vs. Colorado. An earlier start if I remember correctly. I remember the Kings scored early. I remember Brad Chartrand scored a goal, but Allison got hurt and missed the entire 3rd period. Wasn't as optimistic going back to Denver for Game 7, probably because of Allison's injury and the disappointment of the year before. Kings were not nearly as good in 02 as they were in 01.
... Huh??? The Kings were BETTER in '02. Not by much, but clearly they were better. In '02, it was Colorado who was coming up with the one-goal victories until game 7 rolled around and the Kings got pounded again. I saw the Kings as much more of a consistent team than they were the year before.

Quote:
2011 vs. San Jose.........How does everyone feel. I was honestly more confident going into Game 5 because sometimes home teams slip up with 3-1 leads and sure enough the Sharks came out flat. The Kings need to jump on the Sharks early, get a goal to really get the crowd alive. Niemi has been terrible so throw tons of rubber at him. And for the love of god stay out of the box (Matt Greene!)
... If the Kings are able to keep their wits about them at home and play somewhat intelligently, and if Murray can find a way of staying awake for most of the game - they'll have a good chance at taking this to seven. Of course Niemi is beatable, but then, Quick is beatable. As has been the case all series, if the Kings can establish some sort of territorial advantage, they'll make it that much easier on themselves. And, that means winning faceoffs, making safe plays with the puck (i.e. get it in deep) instead of trying to force something that isn't there, and making their shots count instead of blindly firing away. It would be quite humiliating for the Kings to lose all three home playoff games. I'm thinking the "don't get embarrassed" mindset will be a motivator for the team. They can't just take home games for granted, and they can't look ahead to game 7 or the round beyond. The talk in the room should be about being precise, and being efficient - no wasted energy. Make the Sharks BEAT them by not beating themselves. The Kings are due for a one-goal win in this series. It remains to be seen whether they will get that tonight, but I think that they will.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:20 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

If this kidney stone is going to keep me awake tonight like it did last night, I better be watching the best damn home game the Kings have played all season.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:28 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

I don't care if it's a crappily-played home game, so long as the Kings win it.

I sure hope the rest of the Kings D don't expect Quick to activate beast-mode again, but he'll probably have to at least for a period or two. Keep preventing those cross-crease passes of doom, let Quick see the puck and the Kings will win.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:32 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
For the Kings to have a shot at pulling this off I think Quick is going to have to get into the Sharks' heads a little. Not that he has to be perfect, just has to get San Jose thinking that he is superior to their goaltending and that might not be too tough.
That and scoring the first goal or two would also be beneficial.

Perhaps, get into the head of Niemi a bit eh.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Fourth period tweet:
Clifford on line's nickname - Richardson Cell Guard, Simmonds Deputy, and I'm the Sheriff.

Quote:
"You know those old Westerns? Richie's like the cell guard," Clifford said. "He's always leaning back in the chair guarding the prisoners. Simmer's the deputy marshal. I'm the sheriff."

Sounds like something out of the classic TV Western "Gunsmoke," which aired well before any of them was born. Clifford liked the notion.

"That would be a good name," Clifford said, thinking of the hockey tradition of honoring standout trios like the Kings' Triple Crown line, the Philadelphia Flyers' Legion of Doom and the Buffalo Sabres' French Connection.
haha, awesome.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-elliott-kings-20110425,0,1132443.column

Old
04-25-2011, 03:12 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
That and scoring the first goal or two would also be beneficial.

Perhaps, get into the head of Niemi a bit eh.
Lets all get a bit of practice in, starting NOW:

Knee-emmmm-eeee

Old
04-25-2011, 03:13 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Biggest must win of the season so far.

Win or go home.............literally.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:37 PM
lak4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Fourth period tweet:
Clifford on line's nickname - Richardson Cell Guard, Simmonds Deputy, and I'm the Sheriff.

haha, awesome.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-elliott-kings-20110425,0,1132443.column
This made me laugh out loud in class. Haha

Old
04-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Clowe Me

Sharks fan coming in peace. I drove 400 miles in the middle of the night after working a 12 hour shift and still can't take a nap! lol. I'll be the guy in 208 with the black Sharks jersey and a teal sharks flag/banner. Tell your buds to go easy on me.

Old
04-25-2011, 04:00 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

JT.... its obvious ho the '01 kings took Colorado to 7 games. One word: Potvin. He was as stellar as stellar can be in that series.

Ill never forget that double OT goal by Murray. That 0-0 was to this day the most exciting game I've ever watched. Take about stress. Oy.

Old
04-25-2011, 04:00 PM
JR28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... The momentum changed in that series with Yzerman and Shanahan getting injured in the first two games. Detroit won the first two handily, and the Kings were ready to get swept like they did the year before. Without their two leading offensive players, Detroit didn't score any more than three goals in any of the last four games (after scoring nine goals in the first two) and they had to rely on an aging defense (Chelios was 39, Murphy 39, Duchesne 39) while Scotty Bowman was forced to play Lidstrom for a half hour per game. After the Fluke on Figueroa in game 4, it became evident that the stars were aligning for the Kings in that series. Every break was going their way.

... To this day, I don't know how the Kings were able to take Colorado to 7 that season. The Avs outclassed the Kings in every way, and that series was a pattern of "Kings get beat handily, then scrape out a win by one goal, then get beat handily again, then scrape out another one goal win" before finally getting stomped at the end, and in fact the '01 Kings are the only team in NHL history to win 7 games or more in a post-season year with ALL of their wins coming by one goal. To say the Kings were the one of the two top teams in the NHL - well, that's your opinion, so OK. As for "steamrolling" the Blues that year, the Kings were 1-2-1 against St. Louis during the season, so I doubt that would have happened. I saw the Kings as simply a lower-tier playoff team (as so often is the case with the Kings, this season being a perfect example) and their Cinderella run was bound to turn into a pumpkin at some point.

... Huh??? The Kings were BETTER in '02. Not by much, but clearly they were better. In '02, it was Colorado who was coming up with the one-goal victories until game 7 rolled around and the Kings got pounded again. I saw the Kings as much more of a consistent team than they were the year before.

... If the Kings are able to keep their wits about them at home and play somewhat intelligently, and if Murray can find a way of staying awake for most of the game - they'll have a good chance at taking this to seven. Of course Niemi is beatable, but then, Quick is beatable. As has been the case all series, if the Kings can establish some sort of territorial advantage, they'll make it that much easier on themselves. And, that means winning faceoffs, making safe plays with the puck (i.e. get it in deep) instead of trying to force something that isn't there, and making their shots count instead of blindly firing away. It would be quite humiliating for the Kings to lose all three home playoff games. I'm thinking the "don't get embarrassed" mindset will be a motivator for the team. They can't just take home games for granted, and they can't look ahead to game 7 or the round beyond. The talk in the room should be about being precise, and being efficient - no wasted energy. Make the Sharks BEAT them by not beating themselves. The Kings are due for a one-goal win in this series. It remains to be seen whether they will get that tonight, but I think that they will.
I forget but which Avs series, 01 or 02, where Glenn Murray scored, but nobody saw it and play resumed and the Avs scored. Then they counted the Avs goal, but not the Kings. Which series was that, because it was a game the Kings should of won and had they, probably wouldn't of needed to go to game 7. I feel this call changed the series around, as the Kings had the momentum up to that point.

Umm never mind, wasn't Glen Murray traded for Allison, who was in 02...so it was 01 that this event happened.

Last edited by JR28: 04-25-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old
04-25-2011, 04:09 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Kings have never this... Sharks have never that...

http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/20...me-six-numbers

Some hopeful stats in that bunch for Kings fans.

Old
04-25-2011, 04:10 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Our best player tonight needs to be Antti Niemi. He was last game and it worked well.

Old
04-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Orenji

We suck. We lost 20-0. Penner likes cheeseburgers, blah, blah.

Old
04-25-2011, 05:23 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

... and we have terrible goatlending.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=393055

Last edited by TonySCV: 04-25-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old
04-25-2011, 05:24 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
JT.... its obvious ho the '01 kings took Colorado to 7 games. One word: Potvin. He was as stellar as stellar can be in that series.
... Potvin was near-perfect in his wins. In the three victories, he saved 87 out of 90 shots (.966) with two shutouts. In three of his four losses, he played poorly, and his save % in his four defeats was .876. Overall, he was at .918, which was very solid for the time - not great, but close to it. When the Kings were down 3-1 in that series, Potvin was the one who led them back. So, he was there when their backs were against the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Ill never forget that double OT goal by Murray.
... I joked about that with friends for a while afterward, about how all that OT winner did for Murray was get him traded, of course. It was like "apparently he forgot what team he was playing for because he did something good - and the Kings couldn't have that because they're the Kings, after all, so see you later Glen." It was like the Kings could never have nice things.

Old
04-25-2011, 05:25 PM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Lets all get a bit of practice in, starting NOW:

Knee-emmmm-eeee
Er, let's not. Last time Kings fans did that, the Sharks outscored the Kings 5-1 in the following 17 minutes.

Old
04-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Alternate Jersey

ugh, so nervous. is it game time yet?

Old
04-25-2011, 05:53 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

A little something airing in the arena tonight:

http://video.kings.nhl.com/videocent...=731&id=111194

Old
04-25-2011, 05:59 PM
JPFT
Los Angeles Kings

Go Kings Go!!!!

Old
04-25-2011, 06:04 PM
JR28

UGGGH...They are going to have The Briggs sing This is LA again. Come on now it didn't work in games 3 and 4, in fact it hasn't worked in 4 straight games. Why not change things up. Oh well......

Go Kings Go!!!!!!!!

Let's get to game 7 at the Shark Tank where anything can happen. We can do this.

Old
04-25-2011, 06:09 PM
SLang

Never noticed how close the words "damn" and "dman" are. We better see a whole lot more "dman" and a whole lot less "damn" tonight.

Closed Thread