HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Assuming the Bob rumors are true, how do you feel?

Old
04-23-2011, 06:09 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 930
He's a kid, and played more games this season than he'd ever played in the KHL/minors. And he's never experienced something like the NHL playoffs. He got his number called by an elite NHL franchise to start the playoffs and lost a close game...that's a lot of pressure on a rookie, moreso than any of us can understand. I think we can all agree that Bob is putting too much pressure on himself, but that can be expected. I'm not surprised and I don't really feel bad for him.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 06:30 PM
FlyerSithLord

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The coaching staff must have seen something. We aren't privy to what goes on behind closed doors and the fact is, it's a 7 game series and the Sabres got the first win. We knew he was probably on a short leash and Lavy most likely went with Boosh because he's been there before. Bob is very young and has no NHL playoff experience. Unfortunately, Lavi is also saddled with Leighton so he had to make a choice as to who the backup would be.
I get what you're saying. To me, it just seems like it was a bit too short of a leash. You don't name a guy the playoff starter, have him play a really strong game one, have a bad first period and then banish him unless you he really did melt down or they panicked.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Here's an outsider view. How can a guy who was your #1 all year have a bad period and then not just be the backup but go to stands? That makes no sense, unless the coaching had doubts going in or something is wrong with him. And if the coaching had doubts, why would you start the series with him. Something just doesn't add up.
Agreed. Western Conference fan, was shocked to see Leighton coming off the bench instead of Bob in the last game. The fact that he's not even the #2 is without any precedent I can recall.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:42 PM
iamcanadian23

Is there any other quote from Bobrovsky? Everyone on another fanboard seems to think he "flat out" said he wasn't able to mentally handle playing again in the playoffs. Is there something else in another article, or are these fans just over-extrapolating from this quote?

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Granted, I'm not in the locker room etc, but I don't feel they should've scratched him. He should've started game 3.
agreed
i'm sick of 33 and 49.

let Bob play. none of the goals he gave up in game 2 were as GOD awful as Boucher's 2 in game 5, and 49 just looks slow and lost

give the kid a chance ... he led the team in wins this year. 4 periods of playoff hockey is not fair .....

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:04 AM
BernieParent

I was hoping that Bob sitting out game 3 was along the lines of Laviolette saying, "Bob, nobody's blaming you for the loss. We think you're taking this too much to heart, and we need you to be sharp mentally and physically. I want you to be away from the ice for the next game so you can get this out of your mind and come back strong in this series."

That's what I would have done because I have such amazing insight and coaching acumen.

Now, with game 7 looming and little chance of Bob even coming back to be the number 2, I'm at a complete loss as to what has happened behind the scenes.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:32 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro View Post
The fact that he's not even the #2 is without any precedent I can recall.
Which pretty much confirms the reports. Although it is possible that he committed some sort of gross insubordination to get himself scratched, it is overwhelmingly more likely that he just isn't able to play.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't think it hurts his future here. He'll rebound.

It doesn't help the team now, though
This, but realistically he is still a couple years away. It might not even be a bad idea to give him some time in the AHL, bring him up to back up Bryzgalov once he has some confidence, and get him some spot starts.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:53 AM
decadentia

I feel verklempt.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:02 AM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
The Flyers should contact the Isles since they announced they will be tolling Nabokov

Work something out to get Nabokov to serve as a partner and mentor for Bobrovsky next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post

I'd take a good look at Nabokov, though. Despite his issues over in the KHL last year.
i nearly got mugged for suggesting nabby in another thread. surprised these posts went over as well as they did.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:08 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Nabakov and I fear Vokoun are BEEZER redux. We would be getting them too late in their careers. Vokoun is now starting to have back problems and has PTSD from all the shots he's faced over his career. Besides, you know how great we are with enagaging in due dilligence as far as physicals. ASK LEIGHTON!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:01 PM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
hi fellas.

Leaf fan hee who has been cheering for you this series (Mike Richards is one of my favourite players).

My 2 cents on the situation;

IMO it is very similar to the Jose Theodore situation in Washington the last 2 years before this one; goalie carries the team on his back through the regular season yet as soon as things start to go south in the playoffs, they turn on him and never give him a second shot. Only difference is the Flyers took it a step further and sent him to the crowd.

I can't figure out why people like Leighton so much. He's a career minor leaguer who had several chances to show he's NHL capable but never has. If i was coaching against Leighton, i'd practice back door plays and cross ice east/west plays all day (similar to what the flyers are attempting on Miller). Cross ice plays are easily an achilles heel for Leighton; he is extremely shaky if you go up high on one and if you shoot low, you usually get a rebound.

Now in my opinion, Philadelphia has the best set of 18 skaters in the NHL, especially at centre. I was watching the last game with a fellow leaf fan and we agreed that Philly has 4 players who would all be #1 centres if they were in Toronto. So that does make Leighton look a lot better than he is and probably explains why (by his standards) he had a career year last year. Remember how he arrived in Philly; he won the backup job in carolina but was so bad he was waived. I can't see him having an epiphamy on the plane ride to Philadelphia.

I've read Bobrovskys comment and can't help but wonder if it was taken out of context; it's not unusual for a goaltender to have a bad day mentally, there's dozens of causes on that; don't sleep well the night before, equipment issues, minor injuries, mental blocks (you know how authors get writers block? hockey goaltenders get something similar) and quite often it is just a bad day. I mean even Patrick Roy; the strongest mental goalie of our time had some games (his last in montreal and that game 7 blowout in detroit) where he wasn't there mentally.

Look at other goalie controversies around the playoffs and compare it to philly's situation: Los Angeles a lot of people wanted Bernier to start game 5 (pretty sure they went into hiding now!) but the kings came out and said they didn't switch mainly beause it would leave an awful taste in Quicks mouth for the entire offseason. And Vancouver where they did switch goalies, they tried to pretend it was an injury to Luongo to avoid hurting his ego/confidence and throwing him under the bus. Why couldnt Philly pretend Bob had an injury? I'm sure he does of some sort, all goalies who played that many games at this stage do at some point. I don't necissarily believe Bob shouldn't have started game 3 but he should have been on the bench. I think dressing bob for game 3 would have answered a lot of the open questions going on now. Personally I like to follow closesly and see how a goalie reacts after getting demoted to the backup role in the playoffs. Theodore clearly worked hard and wanted to support his teammates and be ready to go if he got a second chance. Luongo last night barely took the net in the warmups and you could tell he looked off. Dressing bob as backup probably would have been a good indicator of him.

sorry for the long post, i am hoping you guys make the second round both due to Richards and for the sake of my hockey pools!

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:13 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
agreed
i'm sick of 33 and 49.

let Bob play. none of the goals he gave up in game 2 were as GOD awful as Boucher's 2 in game 5, and 49 just looks slow and lost

give the kid a chance ... he led the team in wins this year. 4 periods of playoff hockey is not fair .....
I'm with you on 49, I'm perplexed on 33.

Boosh has been better than you could possibly have expected him to be. At this point, he's the goalie I have the most confidence in, and it isn't close.

Bob's game 2 was just as bad as Boosh's game 5. I know that Boosh wants the spotlight, there's serious question whether Bob does right now, and you can't have a goalie out there who's questioning whether or not he's mentally ready.

As for what is fair, Lavy isn't caring about fair. He's caring about winning another hockey game, as he should be.

Regardless, I'd really rather see almost anyone than 49 on the bench tomorrow night.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:15 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Nabakov and I fear Vokoun are BEEZER redux. We would be getting them too late in their careers. Vokoun is now starting to have back problems and has PTSD from all the shots he's faced over his career. Besides, you know how great we are with enagaging in due dilligence as far as physicals. ASK LEIGHTON!
Worse than that, neither tender even had the kind of playoff success that Beezer had.

I've been all for Vokoun, Bryzgalov, & Nabokov in the past. I was willing to deal a first and/or Bob prior to the Versteeg trade. I've begun to question the position league-wide, however. There are way too many Jekyll & Hyde goalies out there. Very few rock-solid guys. VERY few.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:25 PM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

by the way you do realize there's nothing the flyers can do on Nabokov. He will owe the islanders another year and they can't trade him uness he clears waivers.

IMO Vokoun or Bryz should be top priorities with Theodore as the fall back.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:35 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Worse than that, neither tender even had the kind of playoff success that Beezer had.

I've been all for Vokoun, Bryzgalov, & Nabokov in the past. I was willing to deal a first and/or Bob prior to the Versteeg trade. I've begun to question the position league-wide, however. There are way too many Jekyll & Hyde goalies out there. Very few rock-solid guys. VERY few.
Sadly Beezer and his shortside goals against the Leafs with the Flyers wasn't an example of playoff success. This is what I fear with Vokoun and Nabokov especially given their lack of playoff acumen. I can stomach Vokoun for maybe a 1 year deal or 2 but somehow I doubt he'll go for that. I don't want Theodore...Bryzgalov I would go for despite his showing thus far in the playoffs..I consider it an anomaly ..kind of like Thomas' off year with the injury and Rask overshadowing him. I still wish the Flyers had tried to make a move for him with Gagne (notwithstanding the injury risk and all other teams passing) ...looks like Boston is back on track and his numbers are pretty damn solid thus far. The bigger risk was signing Leighton, Shelley and picking up Walker and to some extent Zherdev. Added value in the playoffs has been basically negligible despite all that cap money expended.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:41 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
by the way you do realize there's nothing the flyers can do on Nabokov. He will owe the islanders another year and they can't trade him uness he clears waivers.

IMO Vokoun or Bryz should be top priorities with Theodore as the fall back.
In the end, what is the difference between Theodore and Boucher? Hell, I prefer Boucher.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:46 PM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
In the end, what is the difference between Theodore and Boucher? Hell, I prefer Boucher.

seriously? Boucher has about 2 years starter experience, Theodore has a vezina and a hart. I dont expect to see him capable of that but he is still capable of being a platooning goalie or 1A guy. Boucher is a good backup but thats it.

Old
04-25-2011, 04:09 PM
PPPower

Boosh has played very well aside from about a 3 min span. He's nothing amazing but easily the best of the three right now and is playing above his $925k salary.

He should be the number 1 with Bob on the bench imo, let Bob re-collect his nerves on the pine, not the box. And stop grasping on to Leighton flyers!!, they are really trying hard to justify that salary of his.

PPPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:16 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

My reasoning for wanting Nabokov is because he can mentor Bob. I don't care how old and useless he is, Bob needs an ally. He's alone, in foreign land, with no one to talk to really. That can shatter someone, especially a kid.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:19 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
My reasoning for wanting Nabokov is because he can mentor Bob. I don't care how old and useless he is, Bob needs an ally. He's alone, in foreign land, with no one to talk to really. That can shatter someone, especially a kid.
What you don't like Zherdev?

A mentor is nice but not on a cap strapped team and one that actually needs a decent number one who doesn't crap the bed and go into a lazy slump after a stretch of games.

Old
04-25-2011, 04:20 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
What you don't like Zherdev?

A mentor is nice but not on a cap strapped team and one that actually needs a decent number one who doesn't crap the bed and go into a lazy slump after a stretch of games.
I actually liked Z for that reason. We can do a 1.a/b, not to mention his cap hit is under both Boosh and Leighton's if I'm correct. I know Leighton, not sure on Boosh's numbers.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Richyrich

He's a 22 year old playing for a stanley cup favorite. Not every goalie can be ron hextall in terms of mental toughness as a rookie

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 05:03 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I feel he can still pull himself together, but this is his first year and a lot on his shoulders. He still will grow up more and become better from all this.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 05:15 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

There is a vast difference in being mentally strong enough to play at your best level, and not even being able to practice.

I haven't followed all the practice reports, but after he got pulled IIRC Leighton and Boosh were getting all the practice time.

I wouldn't be too upset if he was shaken and started letting in some weak goals, I'd be worried if he couldn't compete to start games and had to be seated for Boosh, I'd be disappointed in Leighton out performed him in practice, but I'm pissed that he has pretty much just disappeared. (I may be wrong about him at practice though)

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote