HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Arthur Staple-Wolski will be bought out

Old
04-25-2011, 03:02 PM
SML

vCash: 500
Wolski has Islanders written all over him. He would no doubt come back and break one off in us every time we play. I just have that feeling about him.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Give him another year. I'm not about to give up on a guy, who has demonstrated that he could produce at a solid level in the past, after one down year.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:03 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Here's an idea that could possibly work to get rid of Drury. Not sure I 100% like it, but it's not an awful option and would clear an extra 3.3 mil this year.

Trade Drury to Florida for Olesz. Olesz has 3 years left @ 3.125 mil, but he is only 25 and his contract is backloaded, making it a very easy buyout:

2011-12: $372,222
2012-13: -$227,778
2013-14: -$477,778
2014-15: $647,222
2015-16: $647,222
2016-17: $647,222

That's not a typo. We would actually get a cap credit in 2012-13 and 2013-14.

Now, I'm sure you're asking yourself, why would Florida do it and why would Drury agree to it?

Drury has 5 mil left on his contract. Olesz has 11.65 mil. Buying out Drury would cost 3.33 mil in actual dollars. Buying out Olesz would cost 3.88 mil.

So Florida would do it because they can save 550k by buying out Drury instead of Olesz and they also get a bigger cap hit this year and next, making it easier for them to reach the cap floor.

Drury will do it because he's getting bought out either way. He'll never play for Florida, so there should be no issue with waiving his NMC.

Thoughts?
That's actually an interesting idea, you should post it on the trade and rumors board

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:04 PM
pld459666

Gilroy didn't prove crap in the PO's other than he played well for a 5 game spurt, something he had done a few times during his 2 years with the team.

He's brutal defensively.

for all the fluff regarding his offensive capabilities, he didn't create much.

Soft as babycrap.

I do not like losing assets for nothing, but he's someone I would be more than happy watching leave for zip.

horrible.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Wolski has Islanders written all over him. He would no doubt come back and break one off in us every time we play. I just have that feeling about him.
He does have that air about him. I hope he goes to Russia to chase the big bucks

Primetime Powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:11 PM
XLJ

I like Wolski but buying him out makes sense. Torts is not going to play him. We were an offensively challenged team and Torts still wasn't playing him. He didn't even get much powerplay time. Paying 3.8 million to a player who is only going to play 10 minutes a night is not worth it.

Stay away from Ville Leino. Nice player but he plays on a very talented team. We dont need to overpay him. We need more impact type of players. Sign Richards and try to trade for a puck moving defensemen. We shouldn't be wasting cap room this summer on 2nd tier guys. And please do not give a silly contract to another 4th line goon this summer.

If we buyout Drury and Wolski and get rid of Boogaard contract we have plenty of cap room. Hopefully Sather spends the money on the right players.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

I'd prefer to keep Wolski next year, but if his cap space is needed for Richards, then I'd understand buying him out. That buyout hit is tiny.

Wouldn't mind a team next year of something like:

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Avery? - Stepan - Zuccs
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McD - Sauer
DZ - ?
Gilroy

Lundqvist
Biron

I'd rather chuck Avery and pick someone more useful and offensively gifted. Maybe Scottie Upshall? His cap hit right now isn't too dissimilar from what we pay Avery. Wouldn't be terrible to have on a 3rd line with Stepan and Zucc. As for a veteran Off. Defenseman, I'd still love to have Pitkanen or Ehrhoff, but I doubt we could afford either of them. Babchuk is still an option.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:24 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
I'd prefer to keep Wolski next year, but if his cap space is needed for Richards, then I'd understand buying him out. That buyout hit is tiny.

Wouldn't mind a team next year of something like:

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Avery? - Stepan - Zuccs
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McD - Sauer
DZ - ?
Gilroy

Lundqvist
Biron

I'd rather chuck Avery and pick someone more useful and offensively gifted. Maybe Scottie Upshall? His cap hit right now isn't too dissimilar from what we pay Avery. Wouldn't be terrible to have on a 3rd line with Stepan and Zucc. As for a veteran Off. Defenseman, I'd still love to have Pitkanen or Ehrhoff, but I doubt we could afford either of them. Babchuk is still an option.
agree on wolski.

chris kreider will not be a first line player next year. he may make the team but first line, no way. not happening.

give vtank a shot next year. hes a sleeper dman.

were we to sign BR, well need some low cost value guys like vtank and kreider to play alot of minutes.

dont count on mza as long as torts the clown is the coach.

must buy out capt quaalude too. must.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:30 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
you sure.

hes got an elite goalscorer with perhaps the fastest snap shot in the entire league- a guy who layed a 5 spot on hank a few years back btw, playing on a team of plumbers who counterattack and trap.

gaby always was on the wrong side on the pp this season. always. is that gaby suddenly forgetting how to play or torts and his staff telling him to go there.

his centerman this year were erik freekin christensen, a russian 3c, stepan- a first year rook, a hobbled prospal and dubi playing out of position.

geeez. and we expect him to score goals.

torts called him out last year and that was wrong. period.

not doing it this year shows he learned his lesson to keep his pie hole shut.

hes still a tool though.
It would have been nice for Gaborik to:

1. Have just 1 prolific game against anyone other than 3 of the worst defensive teams in the league in Toronto, Edmonton, & the Isles. Just 1 was all I was looking for.

2. His supporting cast was worse last season on the whole. Explain that.

3. He couldn't get his shot off cleanly the whole year no matter how he was positioned on the ice except for those 3 hat tricks. Explain that too.

And for the record, I'm someone who doesn't want Gaborik gone from this team at all. He had a career high season followed by one of his worst. So until he makes it 2 bad years in a row I'm not concerned about how he will bounce back next season.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:39 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Buying out Wolski would be the most stupid thing Sather has done since the Drury and Gomez contracts. Buy out one of the few guys on the team that show even a semblance of offensive skill? Yeah, ok.

No one would seriously give up at least a draft pick for him? Come on.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:42 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
see now i happen to agree with this. can you blame him. hes being ''lisin'd '' bad. torts is fairly predictable.

torts is a love or hate guy. he either loves you or hates you. same with the player. love or hate. no in between.

im afraid that guys like hank, gaborik, mza and wolski fall into the hate category. both ways.

funny, all the euros. i still say torts hates european players.

this is one of the reasons i would not be heart broken to see torts shown the door.
i don't see it this way at all. I know for a fact I've never defended Torts here, but making it out to be a love/hate thing is kind of ridiculous. It's a trust issue.

Look at the Euro's that Torts has benched or healthy scratched or that you assume Torts hates: Lisin, Kotalik, Wolski, MZA, Gaborik (Hank excluded because it wouldn't even make remote sense, especially since he was a big supporter of Khabby, who is a head case compared to the even-keeled Lundqvist)

Lisin, Kotalik, and Wolski, were talented players. But they were talented players that played their position in a style that doesn't always fit into the NHL game. They can do good stuff with the puck on their stick, but they can't be trusted to do the non-offensive stuff that lines need to not sink into a goal differential nightmare. MZA is a talented player that's in the process of adjusting to the NA game, and is going to be overcoming his physical stature to do so. I don't have a doubt MZA can play in this league, but with your season on the line, you can only put out so many players that play in highly irregular ways.

Prospal and Fedotenko are both Euro, as are Kubina and Modin. Those guys received tons of playing time under Torts, and 2 of them were highly skilled forwards. Why did he "love" those guys? because he could trust them. They played in all three zones, and they worked hard.

This reminds me of how people fell in love with Kasparaitis as being a physical d-man, but nobody bothered to pay attention to how bad his game was. He was always out of position, always going for the physical play, and would just walk away from players down low for damn near no reason over and over. The NHL game for a physical defender isn't to run around hitting people. It was to make smart decisions consistently. It was to be a force down low physically, and positionally sound. The big hits come to those type of players. Kaspar played defense in a highly irregular way that no coach could trust.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
agree on wolski.

chris kreider will not be a first line player next year. he may make the team but first line, no way. not happening.

give vtank a shot next year. hes a sleeper dman.

were we to sign BR, well need some low cost value guys like vtank and kreider to play alot of minutes.

dont count on mza as long as torts the clown is the coach.

must buy out capt quaalude too. must.
He won't belong there, but I can bet with Torts juggling the lines every 5 games, he'll end up having a chance there eventually. You're right though, he won't be inked for the 1st line. Not sure where he'd end up, or who'd end up on the 1st line instead. I guess Dubi? So maybe Kreider will play with Ani and Callahan.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:51 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
loves vinny p..... they have a weird love hate thing. always have.

feds is the prototypical torts type player. he plays a very north american game.

show me a skilled offensive euro that torts is fond of. there arent many if any. they are never around long enough to show anything. they are shown the door quickly.

he trashed gaby last year almost to the day. you dont call out your star player. he did.

hes a tool.
Ever think that's because most Euro's he's played with have been enigmatic?

Give him Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, or Ruslan Fedotenko (like has been said already) and I bet you he doesn't complain.

Give him Nik Zherdev and i'd complain too.

You forget that Henke is European, he's just not an enigma.

I would think Tort's hating Euro's would make sense if Vinny Prospal, Artem Anisimov and Fedotenko didn't play big roles for this club this year.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:55 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Buying out Wolski would be the most stupid thing Sather has done since the Drury and Gomez contracts. Buy out one of the few guys on the team that show even a semblance of offensive skill? Yeah, ok.

No one would seriously give up at least a draft pick for him? Come on.
Not even close. The Kotalik and Brashear contract are far worse, just for example.

This is a guy who is 25, a former 1st rounder, and has been on 3 different teams in just over a year, with a 3.8 cap hit, coming off a 13 goal season. I highly doubt anyone would give up anything for him at this point, as he's more of a problem than a positive.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:59 PM
iamaranger

Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
i hope we decide to keep prospal, ESPECIALLY if we play the same style next year...injuries are gonna happen and having a guy like prospal steping in will really help

iamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:07 PM
EEDAWGZ

well i guess it makes sense, being that he was the only one who scored in our most important game of the season. just like Shelly did the year before. way to reward hard effort and actually giving a rats ass Ranger management, just send em packing

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:09 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
well i guess it makes sense, being that he was the only one who scored in our most important game of the season. just like Shelly did the year before. way to reward hard effort and actually giving a rats ass Ranger management, just send em packing

Wolski?? Hard effort? Are you serious? Because he scored a late goal in an elimination game that was long over he deserves to be rewarded for "hard effort"?

Old
04-25-2011, 04:16 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Not even close. The Kotalik and Brashear contract are far worse, just for example.

This is a guy who is 25, a former 1st rounder, and has been on 3 different teams in just over a year, with a 3.8 cap hit, coming off a 13 goal season. I highly doubt anyone would give up anything for him at this point, as he's more of a problem than a positive.
I electively choose to forget those contracts ever happened

Hyperbole aside, I find it hard to believe we can't get at least a draft pick back for him.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:16 PM
EEDAWGZ

at least he scored , which is more than i can say about other expendable assets on this team. glad I gave you a good laugh
Steven Mastrione

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:17 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
I electively choose to forget those contracts ever happened

Hyperbole aside, I find it hard to believe we can't get at least a draft pick back for him.
Maybe we could get a 7th from a desperate team, but his contract is not attractive in the least at this point, nor is his attitude.

Old
04-25-2011, 04:18 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
at least he scored , which is more than i can say about other expendable assets on this team. glad I gave you a good laugh
Steven Mastrione
He scored a meaningless goal, with no pressure on him. Pretty much what he'll be doing in Europe.

And honestly, it's not that hard to spell.

Old
04-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

Quote:
He scored a meaningless goal, with no pressure on him. Pretty much what he'll be doing in Europe.

Shut-up, Steve Mantisalami!

04-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Wolski is a guy who traditionally has stepped up his game in the playoffs.

Its the 82 games it takes to get there that I have a beef with.

04-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:

Yeah seriously, its spread around this board to the point of lunacy, how could anyone not know you by now, you use this place like its your personal blog

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:22 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Shut-up, Steve Mantisalami!
It's Tortellini!