HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Brayden Schenn: Does he disappear in the big games?

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2011, 12:45 AM
ZJames

vCash: 500
Brayden Schenn: Does he disappear in the big games?

Ive heard him labled as an albatros. Someone who disappears in the big time. Both last year and this year his teams(which at least on paper, seemed to be loaded) were knocked out of the playoffs. Then last year he lost in the Memorial Cup(not saying this one was his fault. That Windsor team was dynamite, and i think I remember hearing that Schenn was hurt during the memorial cup tourny, along with the WJ Tourny where canada was upset last year)

Then this year Schenn had a fabulous showing at the WJ tourny, tying a record for points, while playing with a separated shoulder. But his team blew a 3 goal lead to lose in the gold medal game. At this point I had no doubts about whether or not Schenn was a guy who could come up big for a team in the big moments.

But for me, I started to doubt when the Blades got swept by Kootenay and Schenn only contributed with 1 goal. Then he goes to manchester and, from what i have heard from other people, that Schenn was invisible in the last two games. And he was on the ice for 5 of the Sens goals in game 7.

Im not trying to say that Schenn is a bust, or that he was the wrong pick. And I realize that Schenn overall had a great year( played for LA, MAN, Canada, Brandon, and SAS all in one season), and that because of all the traveling he did he was probably exhausted, he had a very busy year. Im just trying to get some perspective and point of view from some of the other fans out there, and some of the people who have actually seen schenn play.

Last edited by ZJames: 04-25-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old
04-25-2011, 01:33 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

In many ways you answered your own question when you pointed out that he played in three different league's and three different championships this season at three entirely different levels of play. What can you really expect from the kid?

That said you could make an argument either way I suppose but then again, you should also factor in his own age and experience. Also, I think that it depends on what type of player you are expecting BS to end up becoming. If you are looking for a guy to be your leading scorer then you might be disappointed. If you are looking for a guy who does everything at a very high level of play including a solid D game then you will like BS allot.

He is a character guy who scores his goals as a result of hard work more so then as a result of uber talent imo. When you get to the playoffs things tighten up and therefore players like BS tend to score less but that doesn't mean that he isn't an exceptional player and extremely valuable in many other ways in those games.

He has had a few stinkers throughout his career but they are grossly overshadowed by his massive successes.

In the NHL I see him being a very valuable two way player who in time will develop into exactly what he has been projected to become.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:43 AM
bobafettish*

youre right lets trade him.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:53 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

He's just mentally and physically tired. Our management has not handled his situation properly.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:54 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Schenn to Toronto(e5)

Old
04-25-2011, 01:59 AM
Fangio

vCash: 50
FYI, Kootenay Ice are up 2-0 over Medicine Hat in the Eastern Conference final. Excellent goaltending, terrific team defence, and timely goals are taking them a long way. They shutdown Hamilton-Schenn, they just came off an impressive shutout win over MH in which they contained Etem-Vey, and judging by their play they can win it all.

Tonelli covered most of it. But that minus 5 really did it for me. Schenn for Kessel, pull the trigger Deano!

Old
04-25-2011, 02:21 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
He's just a kid. All there is to it. He wasn't really prepared to handle this kind of workload as very few kids are. At some point during a season for most everyone that age, they will peter out, and given the role he is depended upon to play, there is no time for him to relax or take a game off or do anything less than play the most minutes in every single situation. It wore on the kid and that just happens, there's not much to analyze about it.

Old
04-25-2011, 08:14 AM
reset
Puck Luck

hockey is a TEAM GAME

And like everyone else had said, he's still a kid

Old
04-25-2011, 10:55 AM
ZJames

Thanks for the input tonell. Im not expecting him to be a ppg player like Kopitar, more of a 30-30 guy who can get back and play some D as well.

And I realized he is still just a kid, and in no way am I wanting the organization to trade him away. Just playing the sharks, and seeing how they have choked in big games in the past, and seeing how the Kings have choked at times in this series just made me a little paranoid. I do not want this team to turn into what the sharks have been over the last few years.

Old
04-25-2011, 11:13 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
In many ways you answered your own question when you pointed out that he played in three different league's and three different championships this season at three entirely different levels of play. What can you really expect from the kid?

That said you could make an argument either way I suppose but then again, you should also factor in his own age and experience. Also, I think that it depends on what type of player you are expecting BS to end up becoming. If you are looking for a guy to be your leading scorer then you might be disappointed. If you are looking for a guy who does everything at a very high level of play including a solid D game then you will like BS allot.

He is a character guy who scores his goals as a result of hard work more so then as a result of uber talent imo. When you get to the playoffs things tighten up and therefore players like BS tend to score less but that doesn't mean that he isn't an exceptional player and extremely valuable in many other ways in those games.

He has had a few stinkers throughout his career but they are grossly overshadowed by his massive successes.

In the NHL I see him being a very valuable two way player who in time will develop into exactly what he has been projected to become.
Our Team Captain and leader into the promised land???? (a man can dream, right?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
He's just mentally and physically tired. Our management has not handled his situation properly.
No, its actually part of the larger NHL conspiracy with AEG and the Canicks organ-eye-za-shun.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

He will be fine, don't overthink the situation.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:05 PM
tantrum4*

Waaaaay too early to be discussing this

Old
04-25-2011, 01:10 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJames View Post
Ive heard him labled as an albatros. Someone who disappears in the big time.
... Wow. Talk about getting an early start on bashing players. Honestly, I'd quit watching sports if I hated players so much that I couldn't wait until they made the big club permanently before I ripped them apart.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:13 PM
razzy

Can't believe Morris left that line of Schenns matched up against Potulny's for the whole game. Maybe he was thinking they were due. I don't know, but when one line is that overpowering they feel good and get on a roll and it is up to the coaches to realize that and adapt. Not worried at all about Brayden, but he will have to have the defensive system of Murray under wraps though until he contributes like we expect.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:19 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

People are expecting way too much out of this guy.

Old
04-25-2011, 02:46 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

No lol, no one is expecting too much. I see him as a Jeff Carter kind of player, or Jordan Staal. 3rd line C, shut down line with Clifford and Simmonds but can definitely move up if he has to. Eventually will be our #2C but next year he should take Handzus' spot. I just hope his stint with the Monarchs wasn't his audition for a spot next year because that would mean 'Zus is getting re-signed lmao.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:24 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Yeah, not worried about Schenn in the least. Not at all and I think this question is a little silly, no offense to the original poster.

Every player who has played in enough playofs has had a bad series, so I don't think he choked in the WHL post-season. The fact Saskatoon was swept shows it was a team collapse, not one player.

Schenn also bounced from the NHL to the AHL, back to the NHL, to juniors, to the WJC, back to juniors, got traded to a different juniors team and then back to the AHL after the juniors playoffs were over. Dude likely had to wear three watches due to being in so many different time zones.

He still had 11 points in 10 games in the WHL playoffs and four points in five AHL playoff games. Don't forget he joined the Monarchs right in the middle of the playoffs, not an easy task. Ask Scott Parse.

Last thing to remember, he's 19 still. I'm not sure what we expected of him, but I'd call this season a huge success. he's handled adversity with great character and in some cases, like the WJC, thrived under it. There's a reason he's the top prospect in the NHL and the best prospect we've had since at least Kopitar (I don't count Doughty since he jumped to the NHL immediately after the draft).

Old
04-25-2011, 03:40 PM
ZJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Wow. Talk about getting an early start on bashing players. Honestly, I'd quit watching sports if I hated players so much that I couldn't wait until they made the big club permanently before I ripped them apart.
If your saying that I am bashing schenn, I am in no way doing that with my comments. All i said was that I had heard other people say that about him. I never said anything to bash him. I just wanted to know what other people thought about this.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:53 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
If your saying that I am bashing schenn, I am in no way doing that with my comments. All i said was that I had heard other people say that about him. I never said anything to bash him. I just wanted to know what other people thought about this.
I get it, but you are talking about one year and you didn't give a reference point where he did bad individually. Even saying he was on the ice for five of the seven Senators goals... so were four other players and the goalie was on for all of them (unless he was pulled, I forget). Hard to say if all or none of those goals were his fault. Yu can put Bob Gainey out there with Alexandre Daigle and Randy Jones and I bet his +/- would be pretty bad.

The teams Schenn was on did have some tough finishes, but the argument can be flipped around to state that his teams also got farther than most others (Mem. Cup, WJC gold medal game, etc).

If you were to site an example where he didn't show up individually, then your question would have more validity I think.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
He's already the second coming of Joe Thornton before his 10th NHL game

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
04-25-2011, 04:30 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
If your saying that I am bashing schenn
... I wasn't. Never referenced you in particular at all.

Old
04-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I'm disappointed he hasn't turned water into wine yet.

Old
04-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Kingjordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
People are expecting way too much out of this guy.

You mean he is not the next Gretzky? WTF?

Old
04-25-2011, 06:10 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Has someone counted up the total # of games he played this season counting tournaments? It's got to be way up there.

Old
04-25-2011, 06:31 PM
ZJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Has someone counted up the total # of games he played this season counting tournaments? It's got to be way up there.
65 games between 5 different teams if im not mistaken. Crazy year.

Closed Thread