HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Gaborik.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:24 PM
slipknottin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
never heard of a sample size have you? 5 games in the playoffs and now Simmonds/Clifford are super clutch playoff performers. Yes they're better than Gaborik now.
Lol, never said they were super clutch. But yes, I would rather have them than Gaborik.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:37 PM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
As great as it sounds to put them together, Gaborik had Mikko Koivu in Minnesota and he could NOT play with him for ****. He is a very odd player in the fact that he plays best with a player who can set him up, and yet he likes to have the puck quite a bit.

Its a real assumption that Richards and Gaborik would have chemistry.
IMO, I don't really care if Richards and Gabby have "chemistry". If they do, we have our most talented first line in years. If they don't, then it will create match up problems for teams. I would think a line of Gaborik-EC/Step-Prospal could produce a lot more goals going up against the 2nd defensive pairing.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:41 PM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
You don't EVER EVER EVER trade when someone's value is low.

Now is not the time to trade him.
Pffft! Phsaw. What?!

Oh wait...so what DR did with him here isn't the way to do it?

Honestly, sorry you guys got saddled with that lazy, injury prone floater. But, Wild fans did try and tell you.

Last edited by MK9: 04-25-2011 at 01:01 PM.
MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
I want Gabby traded to the Kings for Simmonds + Clifford and/or Penner.

More like Schenn+Toffoli. Both have first line potential, and both are young. The players you are mentioning won't help this team.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
More like Schenn+Toffoli. Both have first line potential, and both are young. The players you are mentioning won't help this team.
"More like???" Gaborik just came off one of his worst seasons ever and he's signed for 3 more years at $7.5 M a year. Unless Darryl Sutter gets a GM gig over the summer, Gabby isn't going to be traded anywhere, much less for one of the top prospects in hockey.

Ranger fans better hope he was playing with an undisclosed injury and that Richards and Gabby will gell.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:08 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
ugh relax.

no where did i say you said that. i said you make it sound like. you work on your reading comprehension.

in your own words you said ideally we trade gaborik and then sign richards. to me that means you think we need to get rid of gaborik in order to sign him. if i interpreted that wrong oh well i dont really care. be more clear.

if you reply, i know its difficult but try to speak about the topic instead of trying to get nasty and fail.
Lets do some thorough examination of the comment that you mistook.

Quote:
You really cant factor Richards into whether or not you trade Gaborik. There are too many factors involved. Ideally, you would like to trade Gaborik at the draft, before you could sign Richards.
I said you would trade Gaborik at the draft. Clearly the draft is prior to the period where you are able to sign UFAs, which Brad Richards would happen to be. The more you know...

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:17 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Lets do some thorough examination of the comment that you mistook.

I said you would trade Gaborik at the draft. Clearly the draft is prior to the period where you are able to sign UFAs, which Brad Richards would happen to be. The more you know...
if you want to break down your comment lets start at the beginning.

1st, you have to factor richards into whether or not you trade gaborik. just having richards on his line already means he is better because anybody is better than what gaborik has now.

2nd, gaborik does not have to be traded at or before the draft. this is simply something you made up and since you are not a beat writer or analyst means nothing. in fact it would be stupid to trade gabby draft day when this draft is not showcasing any great talent. would rather keep gabby than get some ****** player and a better pick.

3rd, saying gaborik has to be traded draft day because it is prior to when richards becomes available can be easily interpreted as we cant have richards if we have gaborik.

4th, your not good at this.

also, please explain why it is ideal to trade gaborik at or before the draft, besides the fact that free agency starts afterwards. what do you expect to get for him draft day? what pick in a bad draft could possibly be better than a guy 1 season removed from a 40+ goal year?

Last edited by chip chipperson*: 04-25-2011 at 07:25 PM.
chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
You might as well go ahead and trade Lundqvist if this is what you want to do.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Gaborik for Brian Campbell

or

Gaborik for Gonchar, Neil, 2nd

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Wasn't Sather able to trade Gomez when his value was low? Gaborik can't be that low.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:03 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
I'm done with this guy as a Ranger. I know a good amount of posters may disagree. I had been pretty supportive of him all season. I understand he hurt his shoulder which may have had some effect. But its time for him to go before its too late.

His injury history is deeply concerning. You have to get rid of him when you can get value for him. Now is the right time because everyone thinks he just had a down year. Was it a down year or is his body so broken down that we may never see the superbly talented player we had last year? He floated around the ice all season. If that was due to injury, this is just bad. If he can not play hard now, what is he gonna be like in 2 years?

We have an injury prone, big contract player, who floats around, doesnt fit the system we play, didnt show up in the playoffs or down the stretch, who in all likelihood will only break down even more as time goes by.

It would be a good decision to at least see what you can get for him this summer. If we can get a fair offer for him, Id say pull the trigger. What would it take for you guys to trade him?
Just give it the summer. With mounds of Super hard paper glue, Sather will find a way to get his 7.5 million dollar ball of paper mache rolling by October.
Keenan would have wanted him gone faster than you can say Mike Gartner and/or Tony Amonte.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:05 PM
John Torturella

Quote:

1st, you have to factor richards into whether or not you trade gaborik. just having richards on his line already means he is better because anybody is better than what gaborik has now.

2nd, gaborik does not have to be traded at or before the draft. this is simply something you made up and since you are not a beat writer or analyst means nothing. in fact it would be stupid to trade gabby draft day when this draft is not showcasing any great talent. would rather keep gabby than get some ****** player and a better pick.

3rd, saying gaborik has to be traded draft day because it is prior to when richards becomes available can be easily interpreted as we cant have richards if we have gaborik.

also, please explain why it is ideal to trade gaborik at or before the draft, besides the fact that free agency starts afterwards. what do you expect to get for him draft day? what pick in a bad draft could possibly be better than a guy 1 season removed from a 40+ goal year?
Lets use logic here. If you were to trade Gaborik, you would get what for him? I would assume that a 1st round pick is in line. So you would want to wait a year to get that player in the system? Logic dictates that you trade him at the draft, get your first, pick a player and get him in the system ASAP.

And also you calling the draft bad means nothing because you arent a beat writer or analyst.

Your bad at this. haha

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Gaborik is not the problem. Ovechkin has Semin and Backstrom as TOP TIER support. We need to surround him with atleast one more pure offensive forward, not take him away and then isolate the next guy.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:16 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:

All good legit points. The only thing is that no one is questioning his ability to score goals. He can probably score 50 if he can stay healthy. Every time you get injured and have to rehab, start skating again, then practicing with the team, it takes its toll.

Old
04-25-2011, 10:18 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Gaborik is not the problem. Ovechkin has Semin and Backstrom as TOP TIER support. We need to surround him with atleast one more pure offensive forward, not take him away and then isolate the next guy.
I totally agree.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:25 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Guy is a tank and hits hard. Ovi initiates physical play. Probably the most difficult player someone like m.staal will be assigned to contain.

Combine his physicality with his skill level and absence of a laundry list of ailments, he's a completely different player than Gaborik at this point. imo

Old
04-25-2011, 10:30 PM
Musto

He may get hurt again but he and Richards will still each put up 30 goals next season playing on a line together.

Musto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:50 PM
gravytrain6t

No doubt Gabby needs a legit number one center. He did score a goal in the po's. I just think at this point in his career he should be able to get the best of Boudreau's 2 shutdown guys, Carlson and Alzner. The 2 are actually rookies and still developing and learning. I don't mean to disrespect them (they have bright futures) but at this point In Gaborik's career, (again imo) they should be having a real difficult time keeping Gaborik off of the score sheet in the post season with everything on the line.
IDK, not unless I expected too much out of Gaborik in the playoffs (with who he had to work with). Actually Alzner does have more experience than I thought. He did play all of last season.

Last edited by gravytrain6t: 04-25-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old
04-25-2011, 10:59 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
Pffft! Phsaw. What?!

Oh wait...so what DR did with him here isn't the way to do it?

Honestly, sorry you guys got saddled with that lazy, injury prone floater. But, Wild fans did try and tell you.
I did enjoy his 84 points last year. Very, VERY much so.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:03 PM
tpb209

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
No doubt Gabby needs a legit number one center. He did score a goal in the po's. I just think at this point in his career he should be able to get the best of Boudreau's 2 shutdown guys, Carlson and Alzner. The 2 are actually rookies and still developing and learning. I don't mean to disrespect them (they have bright futures) but at this point In Gaborik's career, (again imo) they should be having a real difficult time keeping Gaborik off of the score sheet in the post season with everything on the line.
IDK, not unless I expected too much out of Gaborik in the playoffs (with who he had to work with). Actually Alzner does have more experience than I thought. He did play all of last season.
I really don't think that the need for Gaborik is a #1 center. I just think that he needs space to move and find voids in the defense. Last year, he played well with Prospal because Prospal was a legitimate offensive threat. He created space for Gaborik to move and shoot. This year, Prospal was hurt and lost what little speed he had left.

Once Torts put Gaborik on a line with two players that could create space by holding the puck to draw the defense(Dubi and Feds), that line had a great game.

A #1 center would be great with Gaborik, but it is not essential. Look at the crap he played with in Minnesota. He scores goals when he has the space to shoot. When he carries the puck all the way from the red line, the defense can get up on him and prevent him from shooting.

tpb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:55 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Lets use logic here. If you were to trade Gaborik, you would get what for him? I would assume that a 1st round pick is in line. So you would want to wait a year to get that player in the system? Logic dictates that you trade him at the draft, get your first, pick a player and get him in the system ASAP.

And also you calling the draft bad means nothing because you arent a beat writer or analyst.

Your bad at this. haha
its no secret this draft is lacking superstar talent. so lets trade a 40+ goal scorer for some guy (probably at best a 2nd liner) and a draft pick (because we all know how great our 1st round picks turn out). your trading him just to trade him. terrible.

not only is this idea of trading him at the draft terrible but you didnt even answer the question i asked. why does it have to be at the draft if at all? why not get players back that have proven themselves? you dont trade a guy like gaborik for draft picks unless there is a sidney crosby to be had.

you wont outwit me. dont recycle my lines.

Old
04-25-2011, 11:59 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
All good legit points. The only thing is that no one is questioning his ability to score goals. He can probably score 50 if he can stay healthy. Every time you get injured and have to rehab, start skating again, then practicing with the team, it takes its toll.
i think scoring goals and producing is exactly what people are questioning. his injury history has become a moot point with the rangers since he has only missed what, less than 15 games in 2 years? its even more of a moot point because we just found out he was healthy this year.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:22 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I'm really down on him but I'm willing to give him another year with a legit center like Richards. We can't go and trade him after signing Richards, defeats the purpose.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:42 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
You don't EVER EVER EVER trade when someone's value is low.

Now is not the time to trade him.
And no fan ever wants to trade a player when his value is high, so trades can never be to a fan's satisfaction.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Stepanformayor*

I still tend to disagree with many of the poster's. I'm a partial season ticket holder and also saw several games via the ole "boob tube" as well. Although i do agree that most players play better when they are supported by better talent..That's a given, but I also saw, as i'm sure many of you others saw this year AA-Stepan and others set this guy up many times and then to see him shoot that pathetic wrister from the top of the circle, or shoot it 5 feet over or 3 feet wide of the net..
He's not a playmaker, and he has no sack or work ethic. IMHO i do beleive he is just one of those players that hit the skids faster than most.. He could skate and he could shoot. He had the benefit of being faster than most other players when he first came into the leauge, but everyone has him figured out now. He's easy to defend. I don't think it's going to matter who you bring in to support him. He's a Primo and he doesn't want to be here, so he's going to pout.. He's alway's been about about Gabby and he always will be about Gabby.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote