HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Arthur Staple-Wolski will be bought out

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-25-2011, 06:56 PM
  #226
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,290
vCash: 500
I don't really understand why they'd look at buying him out unless they plan on getting Richards, keeping Drury and filling out the line-up with kids.

WW can play top 6 wing, a position the team currently has little depth in. To bring in another top 6 winger will cost WW cash anyway, plus they'll still incur the buyout rate.

For the sake of 1 more year (which, if nothing else allows someone like grachev to keep developing) I think they are much better off just keeping him...

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:57 PM
  #227
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,186
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
So when he was on the fourth line they even scored? Because I have to tell you in the NHL you only get a + if your on the ice when we score no matter what line your on.

+12 in 37 games kinda blows up your arguement of his being so weak defensively doesn't it?
No it's not, +/- is a near useless stat. People use it when it helps their argument, and ignore it when it doesn't. Tons of marginal players are pluses. Doesn't make them good defensively, like Anisimov is. If you actually watched the game, and took the Wolski blinders off, you'd see this.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:59 PM
  #228
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent
 
Swept In Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country:
Posts: 9,207
vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Nah man, they were BEGGING for Wolski, but the Rangers wouldn't give him up. He's just...too...amazing isn't even the word.
Wolski got the call from Canada, he is going to be on the first line for the next olympics

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:01 PM
  #229
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
So why does everyone keep bringing up his 65 point season like that's his average output? That year was an anomaly.



Oh, you mean the 40+ point seasons from complete players like Callahan and Dubinsky who play well defensive, comprise our top PK unit, and provide grit/toughness and leadership to team? What does Wolski contribute in those categories? Hmmm? Stop looking studying stat sheet like it gives the complete picture of a players contributions & worth and start thinking about what these players contribute on the ice for their team.



Great, what did he do to convince the Rangers he should be retained for his price tag (cap hit)? Was it scoring that 1 goal over his last 18 games while the Rangers are clawing tooth & nail to make the playoffs? Or the shoot-out goals?
What other players did it? No Gaborik didn't even hit 30 on this squad. They have been the worst ofensive team I have seen in blue in a while and thats with surprises along the way like Boyle and Stepan. Imagine how ugly it woulda been without those unexpected goals? Now you wanna remove one of the few players who showed skill, at the age of 25, for another jam, grit, limited players?

No thank you

If we are going by what you posted a lot of guys shoudln't be back next season. If we are going by output to salary Wolski isn't not the first player my eyes turn to when looking to make cuts.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:02 PM
  #230
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,664
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
And Petr Prucha was a 30 goal scorer his first season in the NHL.... Where is he playing these days? Don't put too much emphasis one 1 season when it comes to young players...
Prucha was also playing on a team where Jagr scored 54 goals and had 123 points. Nylander and Straka also had good years. Pruchas numbers were inflated.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:05 PM
  #231
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
No it's not, +/- is a near useless stat. People use it when it helps their argument, and ignore it when it doesn't. Tons of marginal players are pluses. Doesn't make them good defensively, like Anisimov is. If you actually watched the game, and took the Wolski blinders off, you'd see this.
Yes I spend 4,000 + posts on a board for a team I do not watch the games for. I been going back and forth with you and other posters and you are the only one to have degraded to name calling and stupid stuff like I don't watch games. To me that means your not strong in your point because if you were name calling would be useless to you.

Learn how to take another opinions and debate with some class please. Don't try to character assassinate me because my opinion is different than yours, go work at FOX News if thats what your into.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:05 PM
  #232
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
Prucha was also playing on a team where Jagr scored 54 goals and had 123 points. Nylander and Straka also had good years. Pruchas numbers were inflated.
Nylander & Straka skated with Jagr as even strength.... Prucha did not.... They played on PP together at times but in watching Prucha's 30 goals that season, Jagr did not factor into many of them.... Point is, what a player outputs on any given season can be attributed to multiple factors (playing time, teammates, luck or just a strong year)... It isn't necessarily indicative of any average output from said player.

Wolski didn't show me anything this season that would lead me to believe he's even remotely close to returning to the type of player who could hit 60+ points again. He was one of the most inconsistent players of all the forwards and his defensive game and lack of PK ability leaves much to be desired on the other end of the ice....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:07 PM
  #233
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Wolski got the call from Canada, he is going to be on the first line for the next olympics
Yup and Duby is going to USA.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:08 PM
  #234
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,186
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Yes I spend 4,000 + posts on a board for a team I do not watch the games for. I been going back and forth with you and other posters and you are the only one to have degraded to name calling and stupid stuff like I don't watch games. To me that means your not strong in your point because if you were name calling would be useless to you.

Learn how to take another opinions and debate with some class please. Don't try to character assassinate me because my opinion is different than yours, go work at FOX News if thats what your into.
If it bothers you, that's kinda funny. It's just extremely frustrating that you keep using the same strawman arguments over and over again to praise a player who deserves anything but.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:09 PM
  #235
Janerixon
Registered User
 
Janerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
who cares if Staple says he is likely to be bought out..........he doesnt make the call. I agree its dumb to buy out talent.

he is going to stay. Thats my opinion and him going is Staples. Other beat writers do not say its a for sure thing at all
I agree with Vitto.

Staple like most of the beat writers (besides Brooks) refuse to say anything about Drury being bought out and by saying Wolski will be the one to go they can still discuss the possibility of getting Richards, because unless someone with a salary goes there is no way we can get him.

Sather has made plenty of mistakes, plenty of them, but in the last few years he has done a decent job of cleaning them up.

Gomez traded for McDonagh, Higgins, and V-Tank (ridding us of an awful contract)
Kotalik traded for Prust essentially
Brash and Rismiller traded to the Thrashers to get Brash off the books
Redden sent to the minors (a move many people said Sather would never do, well he did it)

The next move is to buyout Drury, there is no purpose in having a 7 million dollar 4th line center who can only take faceoffs and kill penalties. Is there a chance Wolski and Drury both get bought out to get Richards and maybe another UFA player to play with Richards and Gabby and a puck moving d-man? Sure that's very possible, but Wolski has talent, is young and I hate the fact that when Torts doesn't like a skilled young forward they are just disregarded. Sure Zherdev was a dog here but we could have used his offense this year, now Wolski gets the hook after less than a season? I like Vitto think Staple is saying Wolski is gone so he can discuss the possibility of getting Richards otherwise how else do we fit him? I also think Staple is wrong on Prospal as he was not 100% and was probably our best offensive player down the stretch on a nightly basis.

The only way i see Wolski being bought out is if Sather plans to add another top line winger and defenseman. Here are moves I can SEE sather making, not saying I would, but moves I can see him doing. Signing Richards, Gagne, and Pitkanen, buying out Drury and Wolski, bringing back Fedotenko, Eminger, Sauer, Dubi, Cally, Boyle, and Artie, and demoting EC, Redden, and Boogie.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Simon Gagne ($3.000m) / Brad Richards ($7.000m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.900m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.850m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.900m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.662m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Sean Avery ($1.937m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.400m) / Brian Boyle ($1.850m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Michael Sauer ($1.500m)
Steve Eminger ($1.000m) / Joni Pitkanen ($4.400m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

BUYOUT
Wojtek Wolski ($.467m)
Chris Drury ($3.716m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,108,334; BONUSES: $425,000


Last edited by Janerixon: 04-25-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Janerixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:10 PM
  #236
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
If it bothers you, that's kinda funny. It's just extremely frustrating that you keep using the same strawman arguments over and over again to praise a player who deserves anything but.
I have brought nothing but stats and facts.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:11 PM
  #237
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
If it bothers you, that's kinda funny. It's just extremely frustrating that you keep using the same strawman arguments over and over again to praise a player who deserves anything but.
Oh god, don't start with the logical fallacies. There are like one hundred of them. These boards would crumble if we started picking apart every argument with them. I swear those logicians just make **** up as they go.

__________________
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:11 PM
  #238
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
If it bothers you, that's kinda funny. It's just extremely frustrating that you keep using the same strawman arguments over and over again to praise a player who deserves anything but.
Simple answer is to each his own.

While some people like Wolski (maybe comparing him to Dubi is a bit extreme in my view, but I digress) I am one who doesn't want to see him go.

The same can be said for Dubi. He has his fair share of haters.

However, they are two completely different types of players. Dubi is a grind-it-out type of player that gets the dirty goals and his playmaking ability can be called into question. Wolski is a very good playmaker who scores a majority of his goals off creative moves, but he lacks the heart that Dubi has.

I really don't see the comparison of the two.

__________________
New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:11 PM
  #239
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,186
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I have brought nothing but stats and facts.
Yeah that's the problem. Stats aren't an exact science, yet you're acting like his 65 point year makes him a 65 point player. It doesn't.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:12 PM
  #240
Janerixon
Registered User
 
Janerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 500
Something no one talks about here is that to entice Richards to come here Sather and Torts are going to have to add a few pieces and not just go with all kids. Richards isn't an old man, but he isn't a spring chicken either. They are going to have to show him the money and another player to compliment him and Gaborik and probably another solid defenseman. He may love Torts and want to play in NY, but not for a team that isn't going to add some pieces to seriously contend to win the division let alone make some noise in the playoffs.

Janerixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:12 PM
  #241
turcotte8
Registered User
 
turcotte8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Yup and Duby is going to USA.
Actually he probably will be.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:12 PM
  #242
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,186
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Oh god, don't start with the logical fallacies. There are like one hundred of them. These boards would crumble if we started picking apart every argument with them. I swear those logicians just make **** up as they go.
I'm sorry, I'm just one for using actual opinions instead of just stats to make an argument. Because stats are flawed, fatally, at times.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:13 PM
  #243
John Torturella
Registered User
 
John Torturella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
Hmm you'd think they'd at least try to flip him for a 7th round pick before they just outright bought him out. Someone would give him a shot for little such a low price.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:14 PM
  #244
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,186
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
I really don't see the comparison of the two.
I don't either. They are two entirely different players.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:15 PM
  #245
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Michael Sauer ($1.500m)
Steve Eminger ($1.000m) / Joni Pitkanen ($4.400m)
Swap Eminger with Valentenko and that D looks good.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:15 PM
  #246
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
I don't either. They are two entirely different players.
There really is no need for the back and forth then.

Like I mentioned before, to each his own and leave it at that.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:16 PM
  #247
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,186
vCash: 300
Yeah, pretty much.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:16 PM
  #248
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
I agree with Vitto.

Staple like most of the beat writers (besides Brooks) refuse to say anything about Drury being bought out and by saying Wolski will be the one to go they can still discuss the possibility of getting Richards, because unless someone with a salary goes there is no way we can get him.

Sather has made plenty of mistakes, plenty of them, but in the last few years he has done a decent job of cleaning them up.

Gomez traded for McDonagh, Higgins, and V-Tank (ridding us of an awful contract)
Kotalik traded for Prust essentially
Brash and Rismiller traded to the Thrashers to get Brash off the books
Redden sent to the minors (a move many people said Sather would never do, well he did it)

The next move is to buyout Drury, there is no purpose in having a 7 million dollar 4th line center who can only take faceoffs and kill penalties. Is there a chance Wolski and Drury both get bought out to get Richards and maybe another UFA player to play with Richards and Gabby and a puck moving d-man? Sure that's very possible, but Wolski has talent, is young and I hate the fact that when Torts doesn't like a skilled young forward they are just disregarded. Sure Zherdev was a dog here but we could have used his offense this year, now Wolski gets the hook after less than a season? I like Vitto think Staple is saying Wolski is gone so he can discuss the possibility of getting Richards otherwise how else do we fit him? I also think Staple is wrong on Prospal as he was not 100% and was probably our best offensive player down the stretch on a nightly basis.

The only way i see Wolski being bought out is if Sather plans to add another top line winger and defenseman. Here are moves I can SEE sather making, not saying I would, but moves I can see him doing. Signing Richards, Gagne, and Pitkanen, buying out Drury and Wolski, bringing back Fedotenko, Eminger, Sauer, Dubi, Cally, Boyle, and Artie, and demoting EC, Redden, and Boogie.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Simon Gagne ($3.000m) / Brad Richards ($7.000m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.900m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.850m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.900m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.662m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Sean Avery ($1.937m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.400m) / Brian Boyle ($1.850m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Michael Sauer ($1.500m)
Steve Eminger ($1.000m) / Joni Pitkanen ($4.400m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

BUYOUT
Wojtek Wolski ($.467m)
Chris Drury ($3.716m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,108,334; BONUSES: $425,000
Two changes for the same amount of money:

1) Swap Gagne with Jokinen, Jussi Jussi is the better player imo and Gagne is meh

2) Swap Ehrhoff with Pitkanen, I think CE is the more complete player.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:17 PM
  #249
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Yeah that's the problem. Stats aren't an exact science, yet you're acting like his 65 point year makes him a 65 point player. It doesn't.
You said earlier in the thread Moulson is a proven 30 goal scorer, were you wrong? This makes him a proven 30+ assist man. Again how many Rangers had 30 Assists? ONE.

If Moulson to you is a 30 goal guy for doing it twice why isn't Wolski a 30 assist guy for doing is 3 times?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:17 PM
  #250
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,186
vCash: 300
Ehrhoff is an extreme risk, because he was mediocre playing in San Jose, and all of a sudden became a 40+ point defenseman. That's not a coincidence.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.