HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Arthur Staple-Wolski will be bought out

Old
04-25-2011, 07:19 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
You said earlier in the thread Moulson is a proven 30 goal scorer, were you wrong? This makes him a proven 30+ assist man. Again how many Rangers had 30 Assists? ONE.

If Moulson to you is a 30 goal guy for doing it twice why isn't Wolski a 30 assist guy for doing is 3 times?
He didn't do it 3 times. He did it twice.

And I consider Moulson a proven 30 goal scorer because, from what I have actually witnessed, not just using numbers, I don't see him disappearing like Wolski. He doesn't rely on skill like Wolski does. He's a very consistent player.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Ail
k.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
Two changes for the same amount of money:

1) Swap Gagne with Jokinen, Jussi Jussi is the better player imo and Gagne is meh

2) Swap Ehrhoff with Pitkanen, I think CE is the more complete player.
Agree with both of those, if they could make the money work.

04-25-2011, 07:20 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Ehrhoff is an extreme risk, because he was mediocre playing in San Jose, and all of a sudden became a 40+ point defenseman. That's not a coincidence.
I personally prefer him over Pits because I just really don't like the way Pits plays defense.

I think Ehrhoff fills this teams need more because he has a cannon of a shot, which is something that I really don't see much from Joni, to me he's more of a finesse offensive d-man.

04-25-2011, 07:21 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
He didn't do it 3 times. He did it twice.

And I consider Moulson a proven 30 goal scorer because, from what I have actually witnessed, not just using numbers, I don't see him disappearing like Wolski. He doesn't rely on skill like Wolski does. He's a very consistent player.
Wow, scoring 30 goals without skill is an awesome achievement. Imagine what he could do if he did rely on skill

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:21 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Agree with both of those, if they could make the money work.
I think, assuming that the above calculations were right, that the salaries could swap (JJ won't get more than 3-3.5 imo) while anything more than 4-4.5 would be crazy for CE.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
Two changes for the same amount of money:

1) Swap Gagne with Jokinen, Jussi Jussi is the better player imo and Gagne is meh

2) Swap Ehrhoff with Pitkanen, I think CE is the more complete player.
I would love to get Jussi Jokinen over Gagne, but I am trying to think like Sather. Gagne has Sather written all over him... Same goes for Pitkanen. This is not my fantasy lineup, this is what I honestly can see Sather doing.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Swap Eminger with Valentenko and that D looks good.
Wolf
I really like Valentenko as well, but I feel that he really only gets love from this board and not the people who make decisions. Honestly I really believe (especially after seeing the incentive laden deal he got based on games played) that McIlrath and his monster shot will get every chance to win a spot in preseason probably at the cost of V-tank or Kundratek.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Wolf
I really like Valentenko as well, but I feel that he really only gets love from this board and not the people who make decisions. Honestly I really believe (especially after seeing the incentive laden deal he got based on games played) that McIlrath and his monster shot will get every chance to win a spot in preseason probably at the cost of V-tank or Kundratek.
I did not watch any Wolfpack games this year but Valentenko has gotten excellent feedback this season from fans and in hockey media write-ups and his +/- on the season in relation to the other players is very telling... I think his shot-blocking ability and his physical play would make him a shoe-in to earn a spot on the 3rd pairing if he has a good camp. You could see a similar situation play out like with Sauer, where he quietly earns a spot on the team and then takes off from there and proves throughout the course of the season that he belongs at the NHL level... I could definitely see Tortorella deferring to an aggressive defensemen like Valentenko over a player like Gilroy who, while he improved his defensive game, really didn't provide much offense at all during the regular season.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
This is not an OT thread folks, lets keep it on topic

And I'm beginning to understand where the "phile" in the name comes from.

Lets get Wolski, Drury, and Avery gone.

04-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
This is not an OT thread folks, lets keep it on topic

And I'm beginning to understand where the "phile" in the name comes from.

Lets get Wolski, Drury, and Avery gone.
Haha, hey! There was in that post!

Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:54 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Here's an idea that could possibly work to get rid of Drury. Not sure I 100% like it, but it's not an awful option and would clear an extra 3.3 mil this year.

Trade Drury to Florida for Olesz. Olesz has 3 years left @ 3.125 mil, but he is only 25 and his contract is backloaded, making it a very easy buyout:

2011-12: $372,222
2012-13: -$227,778
2013-14: -$477,778
2014-15: $647,222
2015-16: $647,222
2016-17: $647,222

That's not a typo. We would actually get a cap credit in 2012-13 and 2013-14.

Now, I'm sure you're asking yourself, why would Florida do it and why would Drury agree to it?

Drury has 5 mil left on his contract. Olesz has 11.65 mil. Buying out Drury would cost 3.33 mil in actual dollars. Buying out Olesz would cost 3.88 mil.

So Florida would do it because they can save 550k by buying out Drury instead of Olesz and they also get a bigger cap hit this year and next, making it easier for them to reach the cap floor.

Drury will do it because he's getting bought out either way. He'll never play for Florida, so there should be no issue with waiving his NMC.

Thoughts?
Pretty clever.

Also have thought about Calgary as a potential trade/then buyout partner for Drury -they have a lot of dead wood (i.e Kotalik) that could be bought out or buried in the minors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
why trade him???

he is only 25. and since he is a good passer, why not try him at center. i believe Wolski was drafted as a center..

he has played center in juniors...

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...ki-center.html

there is the proof.

he does have some talent. and id rather have him getting ice time over Christensen
Part of the problem with Wolski this year is that Phoenix tried exactly that. He came off a pretty good playoff and a strong end to last season. They moved him to center this year and he **** in the bed. He never recovered. Center is not an option.

Last edited by bobbop: 04-25-2011 at 08:03 PM.
bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
I did not watch any Wolfpack games this year but Valentenko has gotten excellent feedback this season from fans and in hockey media write-ups and his +/- on the season in relation to the other players is very telling... I think his shot-blocking ability and his physical play would make him a shoe-in to earn a spot on the 3rd pairing if he has a good camp. You could see a similar situation play out like with Sauer, where he quietly earns a spot on the team and then takes off from there and proves throughout the course of the season that he belongs at the NHL level... I could definitely see Tortorella deferring to an aggressive defensemen like Valentenko over a player like Gilroy who, while he improved his defensive game, really didn't provide much offense at all during the regular season.
I didn't watch any pack games either, but I remember before January there was talk of Vtank coming up and a bunch of people who follow the pack said his shot was not getting through and he was not the best d-man on the pack by a long shot. I always saw him as a meaner Kasper with a bomb, he is not afraid of playing a physical game, blocks shots, and has a bomb. I would love for him to make the team next season and I agree he could be Saueresque once he made the team and got comfortable, that I can see. I just personally think if they buy out Drury and Wolski, Sather is not just going to get Richards... he is going to get him some expensive friends to show Richards he is serious about winning the division and with guys like Gagne, Cole, Ryder, Jokinen, Pitkanen, Erhoff, and Ian White available he will be able to buy Richards some friends for sure.

Old
04-25-2011, 08:08 PM
NYR Viper

Didnt Rangerboy at one point recommend Jason Blake from Anaheim?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:24 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Didnt Rangerboy at one point recommend Jason Blake from Anaheim?
Yes. Blake has 3 mil left in actual salary with a 4 mil cap hit for 1 year. Drury is 5 mil actual salary at 7.05 mil cap hit.

I'm not really sure what the benefit would be to Anaheim. Blake at least had 16g and 16a this year in 75 games. Anaheim would be getting a less healthy, less productive player who is owed more money and carries a bigger cap hit. Drury's buyout cap hit is only slightly less than Blake's non-buyout cap hit.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:29 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Yes. Blake has 3 mil left in actual salary with a 4 mil cap hit for 1 year. Drury is 5 mil actual salary at 7.05 mil cap hit.

I'm not really sure what the benefit would be to Anaheim. Blake at least had 16g and 16a this year in 75 games. Anaheim would be getting a less healthy, less productive player who is owed more money and carries a bigger cap hit. Drury's buyout cap hit is only slightly less than Blake's non-buyout cap hit.
Blake + Sutton maybe? Or maybe Blake + Ellis if they like Emery and can get him cheaper? Then they buy-out Drury as they can't buy-out Sutton as he is a 35+.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:02 PM
dogfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
LOL Thats what you say budd. Too bad the numbers don't agree.

Wolski is one year older and has three 30+ assist seasons, Duby just reached his first BARELY. But yes he is way better because he has JAM. How that JAM work out during the playoffs?
I dont see how you can compare the
two bottom line wolski had a really bad year and should not be judged based on 1 year

wolski gp393 246 points regular season +21 0.62 per game
gp27 17 points -3

average ice time this season 12:16
great passer
faster skater
way more creative
sees the ice better
can actually create chances and make a pass
harder more accurate shot
finishes
can play point on pp
desoent try hard every game
is not in the right position sometimes

dubinski gp316 179points regular season +8 0.56 points per game
gp22 15 points playoffs 0
average ice time per game this season 24:56
very strong on the puck
hits
trys hard every game
can kill penalties
not afraid to go to the net
plays a gritty game
poor vision
cannot create plays
horrible offense awareness and finishing capabilities
lacks skill

bottom line wolski had a bad year. and everyone is judging him on that 1 year rather then seeing all his years and forget that last year playing on the coyotes reached 65 points in 80 gp. lets look at alex tanguay on average scores 70 points a season last year scored 30 something. is everyone that scored over 30 points last year beter then tanguay. ofcourse not he had a bad year. this year he had 69. players have a bad year.has wolski given a hard effert every game. I agree he has not. but lets be honest near the end of the season torts didnt play him eventhough he was playing hard and playing well defensively. I dont think he got the ice time. gee how a bout looking at it without biases and emotions. wolski out produces dubinski in every offensive category points plus minus shootouts goals assists. thats not my opinion or anybody elses those are facts. and not to mention dubinski plays around double the ice time that wolski gets. if you do the math dubinski would have to be on the ice for 47 percent more ice time then wolski to equal wolski production.take about there is no way dubinski will ever reach 70 points because he simply doesent have the talent. although he can be a consistent 50 point guy. wolski has been a consistent 55 point guy if u minus this season. dubinski has not. wolski can potentially produce a point a game a way beyond.

dubinski is a great player but wolski is a different player and if he actually gets a kick in the ass and decids to actually try and shows some confidence and actually gets some frekin ice time hecan be a great player......

dogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:06 PM
dogfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Wolski is not the answer for competing with guys like Semin, Ovechkin, Backstrom.
and boyle dubinski prust are

Old
04-25-2011, 09:11 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

This team doesnt make the playoffs this season if they dont trade for Wolski. Plain and simple. You guys can hate or frown on the shootout all you want, but I would roll a 4th line of Wolski-EC-MZA for the shootouts alone.

This team has enough blood and guts. They need skill, and Wolski has it. He's also on a walk year, so you will get a bigger effort.

In all honesty, I want Avery and Drury gone. Those two have no business on a team looking to make the jump from bubble team to contender.

And I'd pair MDZ with McIlrath at some point next season. Screw it. They hit a home run gambling on Sauer-MacD (Turnover notwithstanding). Why not try it again, only this time have MDZ and Richards run the point.

Prospal-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-AA-Callahan
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust
Wolski-Stepan-MZA

Staal-Girardi
Sauer-MacD
MDZ-McIlrath

Retire, Chris.

Pretty please?

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:14 PM
dogfox

Quote:
So if we sign Richards, which one of Stepan or Anisimov is being shifted to wing?

BTW, for anyone touting Wolski's 1 goal and 3 points in the playoffs, don't forget he finished the regular season scoring 1 goal over his last 18 games (6 points during that stretch). Is that the kind of contribution you think is acceptable for a guy with a nearly $4 mil cap hit?
dont forget he played the least ice time out of everyone and played about half the ice time dubinski did and tied him in scoringh points

Old
04-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
This team doesnt make the playoffs this season if they dont trade for Wolski. Plain and simple. You guys can hate or frown on the shootout all you want, but I would roll a 4th line of Wolski-EC-MZA for the shootouts alone.

This team has enough blood and guts. They need skill, and Wolski has it. He's also on a walk year, so you will get a bigger effort.

In all honesty, I want Avery and Drury gone. Those two have no business on a team looking to make the jump from bubble team to contender.

And I'd pair MDZ with McIlrath at some point next season. Screw it. They hit a home run gambling on Sauer-MacD (Turnover notwithstanding). Why not try it again, only this time have MDZ and Richards run the point.

Prospal-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-AA-Callahan
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust
Wolski-Stepan-MZA

Staal-Girardi
Sauer-MacD
MDZ-McIlrath

Retire, Chris.

Pretty please?
I agree McIlrath will get a serious chance to make the team next season, Stepan is not going to get 4th line minutes. I said it before, I will say it again, in order to land Richards we are going to have to get some other key players as he isn't going to come here just for the money. He is going to want to know that there will be a mix of legit top 6 talent and kids, and if Sather buys out Dru and the cap goes up to 62.2 Million, he will not be afraid to spend on a top 6 winger over the age of 30 or a puck moving d-man so MDZ can continue to develop in Hartford and log a ton of minutes as opposed to becoming a 3rd pair d-man and only getting PP time. He will possibly go after both and Richards if he buys out both Dru and W2.

Old
04-25-2011, 09:24 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfox View Post
I dont see how you can compare the
two bottom line wolski had a really bad year and should not be judged based on 1 year

wolski gp393 246 points regular season +21 0.62 per game
gp27 17 points -3

average ice time this season 12:16
great passer
faster skater
way more creative
sees the ice better
can actually create chances and make a pass
harder more accurate shot
finishes
can play point on pp
desoent try hard every game
is not in the right position sometimes

dubinski gp316 179points regular season +8 0.56 points per game
gp22 15 points playoffs 0
average ice time per game this season 24:56

very strong on the puck
hits
trys hard every game
can kill penalties
not afraid to go to the net
plays a gritty game
poor vision
cannot create plays
horrible offense awareness and finishing capabilities
lacks skill

bottom line wolski had a bad year. and everyone is judging him on that 1 year rather then seeing all his years and forget that last year playing on the coyotes reached 65 points in 80 gp. lets look at alex tanguay on average scores 70 points a season last year scored 30 something. is everyone that scored over 30 points last year beter then tanguay. ofcourse not he had a bad year. this year he had 69. players have a bad year.has wolski given a hard effert every game. I agree he has not. but lets be honest near the end of the season torts didnt play him eventhough he was playing hard and playing well defensively. I dont think he got the ice time. gee how a bout looking at it without biases and emotions. wolski out produces dubinski in every offensive category points plus minus shootouts goals assists. thats not my opinion or anybody elses those are facts. [B]and not to mention dubinski plays around double the ice time that wolski gets. if you do the math dubinski would have to be on the ice for 47 percent more ice time then wolski to equal wolski production.take about there is no way dubinski will ever reach 70 points because he simply doesent have the talent. although he can be a consistent 50 point guy. wolski has been a consistent 55 point guy if u minus this season. dubinski has not. wolski can potentially produce a point a game a way beyond.

dubinski is a great player but wolski is a different player and if he actually gets a kick in the ass and decids to actually try and shows some confidence and actually gets some frekin ice time hecan be a great player......
Impressive s###! You might get my Calder vote just yet!!

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Good as he should be off this team. Not the right skill guy to keep around.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:41 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
I agree McIlrath will get a serious chance to make the team next season, Stepan is not going to get 4th line minutes. I said it before, I will say it again, in order to land Richards we are going to have to get some other key players as he isn't going to come here just for the money. He is going to want to know that there will be a mix of legit top 6 talent and kids, and if Sather buys out Dru and the cap goes up to 62.2 Million, he will not be afraid to spend on a top 6 winger over the age of 30 or a puck moving d-man so MDZ can continue to develop in Hartford and log a ton of minutes as opposed to becoming a 3rd pair d-man and only getting PP time. He will possibly go after both and Richards if he buys out both Dru and W2.
Sorry, my bad. Swap Boyle and D-steps lines.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:42 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Drury must go...I dont care about Ranger homerism, as a fan he does not belong. He is terrible and does not belong with this nucleus of a team.

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Sorry, my bad. Swap Boyle and D-steps lines.
It's all good, I just really think Hagelin will win a spot in camp and the fact he is a Callahan type player with a lot of speed should open things up for Stepan. I would like to put Fedotenko on the other wing for defensive responsibility and to create another line that will grind and do the board work to wear teams down. Or maybe we try Avery on the RW and put Feds back to the 4th line for shut-down purposes. There are many options if Richards and a top line LW are signed.

UFA LW-Richards-Gaborik
Dubsinky-Anisimov-Callahan
Hagelin-Stepan-Fedotenko
Avery-Boyle-Prust

There is also the chance the Prospal is back, I thought he earned another 1 year deal, but I can see Sather letting him go to bring in someone else and open a spot for Hagelin.