HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News and Notes from Breakup Day

Old
04-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
It seems like JT wants Drury gone, kinda, dosen't it?

Work your magic Glen.
It sure does.

I wonder how that dynamic will unfold in the coming weeks/months... I'm sure we're not the only ones who heard those words.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Pizza

What else is Dru supposed to say:

"Yeah, all you guys are right. It's over for me. Think I'll just retire and forget about any money I still have coming...."

C'mon. He's gotta do what he's gotta do at this point.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers4life10 View Post
Because when you are negotiating your first contract after your entry level contract, you should not be the one playing boss. I love Duby, don't get me wrong, but who the hell does he think he is holding out all the way until September for his first real contract, demanding 4 million?
Players have negotiating rights. If he felt Sather was trying to pay him way less than he was worth, then he had every right to hold out until they could agree on a fair offer. I don't hold that against him at all.

None of us would accept a lowball offer to do whatever it is we do for a living, just for the sake of not rocking the boat. I don't think it's fair to expect that from our players either. Sure, I don't like it because it hurts my team, but who am I to tell another person "Sit down, shut up, and take what we're gracious enough to give you."

Revelation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:50 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
The guys were cleaning out their lockers today. Some tidbits... http://twitter.com<!-- BEGIN TEMPLAT...code_quote -->Quote:
- Gaborik says he bought into Rangers grinding, defensive system. Trick, he says, is to find balance between that and producing more.

What a cop out... so Torts was holding you back? Please just say nothing and come back next year and light the lamp and all will be forgiven

04-25-2011, 02:53 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
What else is Dru supposed to say:

"Yeah, all you guys are right. It's over for me. Think I'll just retire and forget about any money I still have coming...."

C'mon. He's gotta do what he's gotta do at this point.
He's a pro.... and his teammates are pros. He'll get paid FAT next season for a season he had in Buffalo 5 years ago. His teammates understand. They aspire for the same goals in their career.

Have epic season = sign fat ltc

Thing is Drury really is a Torts kind of guy, unfortunately he's a third liner at this point... or so it seems

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
What a cop out... so Torts was holding you back? Please just say nothing and come back next year and light the lamp and all will be forgiven
I don't really see what he said as a cop out or attacking Torts. He was learning and playing a different style than he ever had before, and it's taken some getting used to on his part. He's trying to find a way of producing within that system, and he's struggling with it.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

Revelation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:59 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Players have negotiating rights. If he felt Sather was trying to pay him way less than he was worth, then he had every right to hold out until they could agree on a fair offer. I don't hold that against him at all.

None of us would accept a lowball offer to do whatever it is we do for a living, just for the sake of not rocking the boat. I don't think it's fair to expect that from our players either. Sure, I don't like it because it hurts my team, but who am I to tell another person "Sit down, shut up, and take what we're gracious enough to give you."
You don't want to out price yourself either.

Of course you wouldn't want to be low balled, but when your dealing with Restricted Free Agency its different. RFA DO NOT have the negotiating rights of UFA. Dubinsky wasn't dealing from a position of strength.

I love Dubi too, but lets be honest and really think about the situation at the time.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post

He was an RFA and it was his first real contract, not wanting to give you 4 million for your first contract and giving you 2 million, is not being low balled. When you are a UFA it is different, but an RFA has no right to demand money on his first real contract. Not giving the guy 4 million is hardly low balling him.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:28 PM
XLJ

Love Torts quote about Drury that sounds like he is done here.

Sather was trying to screw over Dubi. They were offering him 700,000 for 1 year. Anisimov right now is in the same position Dubinsky was. It will be interesting to see if Sather tries to do the same thing.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:39 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
No "grinding" on the PP Gabs. Didn't get it done their either.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
No "grinding" on the PP Gabs. Didn't get it done their either.
The Powerplay was also a disgrace in general. A successful PP takes 5 guys doing it right. It's pretty hard for Gaborik to make it happen there by himself.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:48 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
The Powerplay was also a disgrace in general. A successful PP takes 5 guys doing it right. It's pretty hard for Gaborik to make it happen there by himself.
He had plenty of chances....
He admitted that himself. He rang posts, he buried pucks in logos, and shanked one timers all year.

He talked about "the grinding system", and I'm saying that "system" wasn't there to stifle his talents on the PP.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:51 PM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
a successful PP also takes variety in the shooters. having 5 lefties playing on one unit is absurd.

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Tiki Talk
Oh Baby

I am delighted & surprised with Torts candidness on Drury and his spot with this team. I guess it shouldn't surprise me considering it is Tortorella, but usually everyone on the team & in management will kind of tip-toe around issues like this regarding a respected veteran. Torts though is saying exactly what needs to be said.

Tiki Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 05:25 PM
kovazub94

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersRising View Post
I am delighted & surprised with Torts candidness on Drury and his spot with this team. I guess it shouldn't surprise me considering it is Tortorella, but usually everyone on the team & in management will kind of tip-toe around issues like this regarding a respected veteran. Torts though is saying exactly what needs to be said.
Everyone can read between the lines and that includes Drury. So if you are trying to do what's best for the team, Torts is not helping anyone with his statement.

Torts should keep his mouth shut and let Sather approach Drury (and his agent) and explain that there are only two options: be bought out of his contract or Drury should retire (with full blown honor ceremony etc) and then get a cushy job within organization that would get him his money in a two-three years. That would cost nothing against the salary cap and everyone would be happy.

If Drury is someone who cares about his legacy I don't think it would be difficult for him to make the right choice. On the other hand, Torts public comments could make a guy like Drury "unreasonable" and in the end hurt the Rangers progress.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 05:47 PM
NYROrtsFan

I really can't imagine why any of you actually thought Drury would retire. Either way, this just lets us know the obvious. Happy that Torts intends to get rid of him.

And we need talent on this team... Just hoping these younger guys will turn into 1st liners is not good enough. You have to prepare for the idea that they won't, but hope that they do. Not just expect it to happen.

Consider me one of the people who want Richards.

And why some of you people want Prospal gone is beyond me. He had 23 pts in 29 games on a team that doesn't score. If he didn't come back like many of you wanted, we wouldn't have even made the playoffs. Throw in the fact that he is busting his ass out there constantly, while producing offensively, and it's great that we have him. He doesn't cost much either.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 05:56 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
"I think everyone should feel pretty good about what's here," forward Chris Drury said.
easy for you to say!

Quote:
"I think everyone should feel pretty good about the majority of what's here," forward Brandon Dubinsky said.
if only!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:18 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
I really can't imagine why any of you actually thought Drury would retire. Either way, this just lets us know the obvious. Happy that Torts intends to get rid of him.

And we need talent on this team... Just hoping these younger guys will turn into 1st liners is not good enough. You have to prepare for the idea that they won't, but hope that they do. Not just expect it to happen.

Consider me one of the people who want Richards.

And why some of you people want Prospal gone is beyond me. He had 23 pts in 29 games on a team that doesn't score. If he didn't come back like many of you wanted, we wouldn't have even made the playoffs. Throw in the fact that he is busting his ass out there constantly, while producing offensively, and it's great that we have him. He doesn't cost much either.
If you read the full comments by Torts,he thinks Drury and Prospal are done. Knee injuries. Drury should retire. Their knees are not going to get better over the summer.

Quote:
“Well, you start with Vinny. I never thought Vinny would come back from the injury. He did. Very inconsistent and he readily admits that. His leg, I think his knee, at least talkng to him—and they’re going to do the MRI and all that stuff—but I think it’s structurally sound inside but he wasn’t able to develop the muscles around (it). And he struggled. He played really well at times and really struggled. He was very inconsistent. You have to think, you’ve got to make sure—Vinny’s getting older. He adds a tremendous quality to our team in just the way he is as a pro. These are things we have to talk about, and you don’t want to get into a situation where it’s a mistake and it takes the spot of another (player). He’s a skilled guy, but that’s something that we really have to talk about and assess and listen to what the doctors say about him and all.

“Same thing with Dru. Dru’s a guy that has a knee, and high marks for him, because I didn’t even expect him back. I was so happy for him when he scored the goal (vs. the Devils) and who knows? Because of that stupid rule we may not have even gotten in if Dru didn’t score a goal. Who knows what would have happened?

“But then as I watch him in playoffs, it was a bit of a struggle for Dru, honestly. He tried like hell, but he slowed down as it went on. I thought he did a great job in the role that he did as a killer and a faceoff guy. But again, this is something, honestly, that we have to look at, as far as, where does he fit now? Because we are going young. And we’re trying to build it up again. And with older guys, those are conversations that we have to have, as we continue here for the next few months.”
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2011/0...rella-part-ii/

Quote:
“Intangibles always come into evaluating. You just can’t let the intangibles override other things, too. Dru and I have a great relationship. We’ve been very honest with one another. Dru is getting older. That’s why he has this chronic knee, and it’s amazing that he was able to come back when he did. But we have to make decisions based on what’s best for the organization moving on, and I’m not saying—don’t get me wrong—but we have to be careful with all this stuff here. And it’s certainly not my total decision, but I have my thoughts, so these are all conversations we have to have.”

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
If you read the full comments by Torts,he thinks Drury and Prospal are done. Knee injuries. Drury should retire. Their knees are not going to get better over the summer.

Writing on the wall right there.

It's not all Torts decision, but I think Torts has had a lot of pull in his tenure here.

Vinny is great, it will suck to see him go.

04-25-2011, 06:27 PM
NYR Viper

I really love the fact that Torts really backs up his words. He has called for wanting youth and energy. From everything he is saying, he really means it.

Get rid of Drury and Prospal.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:27 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

From Tortorella's comments, its seems as if he doesn't feel having Drury back is what's best for the team's progression.

And he didn't sound thrilled about Prospal or Avery returning.

He sounds like he wants more skill, too.

They definitely need to buy out Drury, cut fat, and go after Richards.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:28 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Enough, guys. If you want to whine about Drury and insult each other for being selfish or whatever other crap, go do it in the "Please Retire Drury" thread. There's other things of substance to discuss here without you guys getting all high and mighty on one another.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:29 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Drury doesn't even need to retire.

Can't he "retire" and find a job in the league with another team after the season starts?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:31 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Only it's not 7M, it's 5M.

Drury signed a 5 year, 35.25M contract. 30.25M is paid off. Drury has more money than he probably knows what to do with. Countless athletes have walked away from $$$ for this or that. They have their reasons.

I think Drury wants to return, not to collect his paycheck. I think he wants to return because he loves the game and feels he can still contribute somewhere.
7mil or 5 mil is nitpicking but he will collect it and in no way is it an indictment of his character or his moral fiber that some are making it out to be.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:32 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I don't know how LTIR works but it seems Mike Rathje has been on it for years. Landing place for Drury?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote