HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defensive Future

Old
04-25-2011, 01:27 PM
UDnyr92

vCash: 500
Defensive Future

Alright, now that the season is over and we've seen the full progression during a season of some of our young, questionable defensemen... what do you think our blue line will look like next year?

To me, this seems rather simple and self-explanatory, but it shouldn't be so straight up after so many questions going into the season.

Staal/Girardi
McD/Sauer
__/__

I guess thats what it has to look like, with MDZ getting another shot in training camp, Gilroy might be brought back for a cheap 3rd pairing... I don't know there's lots of possibilities. I just hope that the coaches stick with McD and Sauer again next season - they played like shutdown vets out there.

Thoughts?

UDnyr92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:30 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I think McIlrath is a season away from being in the league. Put him in the AHL next year, and groom him to be the PUNISHING D-man we've yearned for since Beuk left.

I pray to god MDZ gets back on pace. If not, we need a PP QB, bad. Oh wait, we need a PP in general. haha

I Eminger AND Gilroy are back, I will be upset. I'd actually like them both gone, and give a shot to V-Tank..

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I think the bottom pair will be Del Zotto and McIlrath. If not, then Kundratek and Valentenko.

But I really think that MDZ and McI will be a great pair, maybe even our best one. It's hard to imagine it right now, but they both have tremendous potential to be our new Leetch-Beukeboom. Maybe MDZ won't be as good as Leetch, but it could be a great pairing. I won't predict it, but it's not something I am willing to discount.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
I think McIlrath is a season away from being in the league. Put him in the AHL next year
McIlrath isn't eligible to play in the AHL next year. Nor is he anywhere near NHL-ready. Are you kidding me? The Rangers were hiding him in the preseason to avoid people seeing how raw he is.

The guy needs to go back to juniors, then spend a couple of seasons in the AHL.

The earliest I see him making the Rangers is sometime midway through the 2013-14 season.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

The future of this defense is set, barring any massive-upgrade trades. Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer, Del Zotto, McIlrath.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:44 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I hope you all eat your words in training camp as Valentenko earns himself the 3rd LD spot. Punishing and SMART defender with a laser slapper.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I hope you all eat your words in training camp as Valentenko earns himself the 3rd LD spot. Punishing and SMART defender with a laser slapper.
Sting, it is like we turned the corner, I agree with you again. I think Vtank makes the team next year. I just hope he doesn't lose his assignment to lay a big hit.

Staal-Giradi
McD - Sauer
Vtank - Gilroy/MDZ

Kundatrek not that far behind.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
I think McIlrath is a season away from being in the league. Put him in the AHL next year, and groom him to be the PUNISHING D-man we've yearned for since Beuk left.

I pray to god MDZ gets back on pace. If not, we need a PP QB, bad. Oh wait, we need a PP in general. haha

I Eminger AND Gilroy are back, I will be upset. I'd actually like them both gone, and give a shot to V-Tank..
McI can not play in the A next year unfortunately

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Sting, it is like we turned the corner, I agree with you again. I think Vtank makes the team next year. I just hope he doesn't lose his assignment to lay a big hit.

Staal-Giradi
McD - Sauer
Vtank - Gilroy/MDZ

Kundatrek not that far behind.
This is what I would like to see but I could see them bringing in a vet on a try out to push Gilroy/MDZ/V-Tank/Kundratek in camp. Like a Nic Wallin or Skrastins type, one year deal.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
I personally would love to see Valentenko on the team next year.

From an organizational standpoint, thought, Del Zotto or a player like him NEEDS to be a part of this future.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

We are set on Defense for like a decade. Staal-Girardi-McD-Sauer-MDZ-McI-Valentenko

Old
04-25-2011, 06:00 PM
ecemleafs

can V play right d?

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:11 PM
NYR Viper

People writing off both Pashnin and Valentenko are going to be pleasantly surprised with both. Both of them are warriors. Thats the only way to describe them. Kasparitis-like warriors. Teams win Stanley Cups with players like that.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
The future of this defense is set, barring any massive-upgrade trades. Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer, Del Zotto, McIlrath.
yea I mean this is pretty straight forward is it not? That is quite obviously our envisioned top 6

DZ should be able to come back next yr and play full time while they fill the other spot with a Valentenko or Gilroy who battle it out in camp for time

Give McIlrath a full yr in Hartford and maybe he can even come up half way through the yr like McD did. No rush though

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:46 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Anyone think that V-Tank and Kundratek will be given all the chances in the world to play on this team next season? Even if that means DZ plays in Hartford?

I think you can get good value for them if they show they can be effective NHL defenders, and turn them into offensively talented forwards.

I find it like in baseball, you draft really talented pitchers over really talented hitters high in drafts. If you can cultivate great pitchers it gives you a great chance to win, and you can trade a great pitcher for 2 really good hitters. If you can trade good defense prospects once you have your future set, you can reap the benefits.

I think eventually Kundratek and Valentenko are those players in the Rangers system that will be the people traded for offensive talent. There is too much invested in McIlrath and Del Zotto being 1st rounders, McDonagh being the biggest piece of the Gomez deal, and Sauer being in the system for many years. Staal and Girardi aren't going anywhere either. This team has so much depth there, it's soon going to be time to cash some of them in for spots the team needs help in. It might be as soon as next season.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
yea I mean this is pretty straight forward is it not? That is quite obviously our envisioned top 6

DZ should be able to come back next yr and play full time while they fill the other spot with a Valentenko or Gilroy who battle it out in camp for time

Give McIlrath a full yr in Hartford and maybe he can even come up half way through the yr like McD did. No rush though
mcilrath can not play for hartford, he is too young

Old
04-25-2011, 07:50 PM
darko

Quote:

I'd like to see him win that 3rd spot. I also hope he's paired up with MDZ who rebounds this season.

Wouldnt mind seeing Eminger back for cheap as a 7th guy and veteran presence.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:55 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

If Vtank or Pashnin could play the right side that would be huge, let them compete with Gilroy, DZ, and Eminger for the bottom pairing.

EDIT - What about Wisniewski? Only 27, we could probably get him on a 3 yr $4mil per deal...although I'm not exactly sure how comfortable I am with that, but he shoots right and could run a PP.

Staal - Girardi
McD - Sauer
DZ/Vtank/Pashnin - Wisniewski

Last edited by silverfish: 04-25-2011 at 08:22 PM.
silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:06 PM
SomE

I'm not quite sold on V-Tank yet. I liked the grit I saw from him the the preseason but that's about it. As for his booming shot.. He clearly doesn't know how to use it.. if he did then he would be putting up points.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:22 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
I'm not quite sold on V-Tank yet. I liked the grit I saw from him the the preseason but that's about it. As for his booming shot.. He clearly doesn't know how to use it.. if he did then he would be putting up points.
He knows how to use it. He isn't shy about pulling the trigger. It's hitting the net thats the problem. But he has an absolute bomb.

To the poster who said they wished Valentenko or Pashnin could play the right side, I believe, and I may be incorrect, that I read Pashnin can play either side.

Also, Kundratek and McIlrath are both right d's.

LD:
Staal
McDonagh
MDZ
Valentenko
Pashnin(?)

RD:
Girardi
Sauer
Gilroy
Kundratek
McIlrath
Pashnin(?)
Parlett

The Rangers should just stop drafting defensemen for the next couple of seasons. The only player who I foresee not having a serious shot at the NHL is Pashnin, and that is only because he isn't in NA.

Ridiculous depth.

Old
04-25-2011, 08:24 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He knows how to use it. He isn't shy about pulling the trigger. It's hitting the net thats the problem. But he has an absolute bomb.

To the poster who said they wished Valentenko or Pashnin could play the right side, I believe, and I may be incorrect, that I read Pashnin can play either side.

LD:
Staal
McDonagh
MDZ
Valentenko
Pashnin(?)

RD:
Girardi
Sauer
Gilroy
Kundratek
McIlrath
Pashnin(?)
Parlett

The Rangers should just stop drafting defensemen for the next couple of seasons. The only player who I foresee not having a serious shot at the NHL is Pashnin, and that is only because he isn't in NA.

Ridiculous depth.
You seem to have forgotten training camp, where everyone fell in love with the kid. I think they'll make a play to have him in NA this coming season

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:24 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

LD:
Staal
McDonagh
MDZ
Valentenko
Pashnin(?)

RD:
Girardi
Sauer
Gilroy
Kundratek
McIlrath
Pashnin(?)
Parlett

Ridiculous depth.
that's what i was meaning.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:31 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
You seem to have forgotten training camp, where everyone fell in love with the kid. I think they'll make a play to have him in NA this coming season
Oh I remember. I am pretty high on Pashnin actually. But he hasn't been able to stay healthy and he isnt in NA YET. I really think he will come over, but until he does he is still a mystery.

Old
04-25-2011, 09:42 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I dont want Gilroy back. Nice of him to finally show up at the end of the season with his contract expiring.

Classic walk-year (walk-week in his case) surge.

No thanks.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:46 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Valentenko-Markov or Babchuk

hpNYR is online now   Reply With Quote