HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News and Notes from Breakup Day

Old
04-25-2011, 08:34 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Drury doesn't even need to retire.

Can't he "retire" and find a job in the league with another team after the season starts?
Not sure what you're asking here.

If a player retires, and then returns, they're still bound to the team that held their contract previously. "Retiring" as I think you're suggesting wouldn't void his current contract.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
not much to be happy about:

drury back to torture us more.
prospal still won't give it up and retire.
dubi and cally talking business.
dubi spent playoffs in a spot where he was uncomfortable.
gabby unhappy with current lineup.
gabby has changed game (not sure if excuse or he's happy about current personal style)
christensen still emo.

life as a ranger fan still the same.
The only problems I see are Drury and Christensen.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

If you aint got a knee put ya hand up!

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
He's a pro.... and his teammates are pros. He'll get paid FAT next season for a season he had in Buffalo 5 years ago. His teammates understand. They aspire for the same goals in their career.

Have epic season = sign fat ltc

Thing is Drury really is a Torts kind of guy, unfortunately he's a third liner at this point... or so it seems
pretty much hit the nail on the head in the bolded part

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
"I think everyone should feel pretty good about what's here," forward Chris Drury said.
easy for you to say!

Quote:
"I think everyone should feel pretty good about the majority of what's here," forward Brandon Dubinsky said.
if only!

I can't help but laugh and crack up every time i read this!
HILARIOUS!

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:43 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
If you aint got a knee put ya hand up!

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

Who's the last guy?

Old
04-25-2011, 08:50 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
What a cop out... so Torts was holding you back? Please just say nothing and come back next year and light the lamp and all will be forgiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
I don't really see what he said as a cop out or attacking Torts. He was learning and playing a different style than he ever had before, and it's taken some getting used to on his part. He's trying to find a way of producing within that system, and he's struggling with it
He came from Trap city in Minnesota under Lemaire, hardly an O centric powerhouse.

Besides he was GREAT last season under Torts.

04-25-2011, 08:51 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers4life10 View Post
Who's the last guy?
The Russian Rocket

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:52 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Not sure what you're asking here.

If a player retires, and then returns, they're still bound to the team that held their contract previously. "Retiring" as I think you're suggesting wouldn't void his current contract.
Yea nevermind it didn't make much sense.

They have to buy him out.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
The Russian Rocket
Oh Bure haha, I thought you were referring to guys on the team currently, so i was like who the ***** is that guy? But yea, Bure's knee was terrible for myself

Old
04-25-2011, 09:05 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Oh Bure haha, I thought you were referring to guys on the team currently, so i was like who the ***** is that guy? But yea, Bure's knee was terrible for myself
he'd still probably be the most skilled player on the roster

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
he'd still probably be the most skilled player on the roster
I think he would too. It's a shame his career ended earlier than it could have because of his knee. And didn't it all start because he slipped on a puck during practice?

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:13 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Tortorella is telling it like it is. The Rangers are thin enough on offense. To bring back Prospal in his condition would be a huge question mark again. You can't rely on a player to be a top 6 forward if he can't stay healthy for the season. For Drury, the price is just ridiculous for what you get. He can still play in the NHL but it's as a bottom 6 forward now and it doesn't make sense to pay him his current salary to take faceoffs and kill penalties. Drury's body broke down faster than usual. Maybe because he always played hard but was never a big guy? Not sure. The effort is there so it's hard to watch him struggle to keep up.

You need the horses to go up against the Ovechkins of the league and the time when Drury and Prospal could play at the top level has passed them. If your true aspiration is to compete for the Stanley Cup then you need a roster capable of surviving the two month grind of hockey at its most intense. Is it reasonable to believe that Drury or Prospal can do that at this point in their careers? It's time for more new blood to be integrated into the team and let that develop. There's nothing wrong with moving on. The Avalanche and Flyers parted ways with players to make room for Dru and Vinny, now it's time for the Rangers to do the same thing.

I don't blame Drury for wanting to play again next year because it's the game he loves and it's a good living. It just shouldn't be for this team at what the Rangers owe him. The money saved can be used to re-sign the restricted free agents, like Callahan, who will be asked to take on even more responsibility moving forward.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Tortorella is telling it like it is. The Rangers are thin enough on offense. To bring back Prospal in his condition would be a huge question mark again. You can't rely on a player to be a top 6 forward if he can't stay healthy for the season. For Drury, the price is just ridiculous for what you get. He can still play in the NHL but it's as a bottom 6 forward now and it doesn't make sense to pay him his current salary to take faceoffs and kill penalties. Drury's body broke down faster than usual. Maybe because he always played hard but was never a big guy? Not sure. The effort is there so it's hard to watch him struggle to keep up.

You need the horses to go up against the Ovechkins of the league and the time when Drury and Prospal could play at the top level has passed them. If your true aspiration is to compete for the Stanley Cup then you need a roster capable of surviving the two month grind of hockey at its most intense. Is it reasonable to believe that Drury or Prospal can do that at this point in their careers? It's time for more new blood to be integrated into the team and let that develop. There's nothing wrong with moving on. The Avalanche and Flyers parted ways with players to make room for Dru and Vinny, now it's time for the Rangers to do the same thing.

I don't blame Drury for wanting to play again next year because it's the game he loves and it's a good living. It just shouldn't be for this team at what the Rangers owe him. The money saved can be used to re-sign the restricted free agents, like Callahan, who will be asked to take on even more responsibility moving forward.
Very well said my friend

Old
04-25-2011, 09:38 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Tortorella in all likelyhood isn't just saying things that would undermine the management group that just extended his contract for three years. He's most likely reflecting the general feeling of the organization.

The fact that he specifically names Drury and Prospal is pretty telling.

They want more skill. They want to continue injecting youth into the lineup. They have important players to extend, they have a big fish on the market they want.

Its not about Drury's salary, its about his cap hit. His cap hit is still over 7 million dollars.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:41 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
- Gaborik says he's sure Sather will do all he can to bring in more offensive talent. Would like to click with a center.
lol. Gaborik sounds like a little kid making his Christmas list.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by FultonReed View Post
a successful PP also takes variety in the shooters. having 5 lefties playing on one unit is absurd.
Dumping the puck in on the powerplay is absurd

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:47 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
the thought of another year of drury makes me ill.

watching him look like such a dufus makes my eyes bleed.

he makes slow look fast.

im sure it will be one magic injury after another that keeps him off the ice anyway.
This. Can't we put him on LTIR for next season? No cap hit, no trade, no buyout, just let him hang out at his pizza joint and collect his paycheck.

Old
04-25-2011, 09:55 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghenrik213 View Post
I think he would too. It's a shame his career ended earlier than it could have because of his knee. And didn't it all start because he slipped on a puck during practice?
Damn, I miss Bure. One of my favorite players of all time. So exciting to watch him play.

Old
04-25-2011, 10:13 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Damn, I miss Bure. One of my favorite players of all time. So exciting to watch him play.
Still remember the buzz in the Garden for his first game as a Ranger. Also remember his end to end rush and goal in OT. Too bad his knees were shot...he was a great talent.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Musto

Quote:
I feel so bad for Prospal. The guy loves playing for us and seeing him out there on the ice for a goal, nothing better. You'd think he scored his first goal every time he scores. The guy loves hockey and telling him "NO" to coming back just breaks my heart (NO HOMO) I really wish they would give him a job in the front office. Vinny loves this organization. Best of luck to Vinny!
I could see Vinny coming back to play a bottom six vet role next year. Put him on a line with Avery and you have two guys that are capable of doing some good things together. Nothing amazing but good. I would also LOVE to see Feds back. Thats a very good bottom six with Boyle, Prust and Wolski.

I also think that Anisimov+ could possibly net us a quality PMD. It's got to be right though.

How's this:

Zucc-Richards*-Gabby
Dubi-Anisimov-Cally
Prospal-Stepan-Wolski
Feds-Boyle-Prust
Avery

There's a lot of flexibility with this group to find chemistry with each other. We already know that two of the four lines work well so all that needs to happen is finding the right complimentary forward for that first line. Could be any one of Zucc, Wolski, Prospal or Avery. Maybe some kid kicks ass in camp. Who knows?

All I know is that a lot of our success next year hinges on procuring Richards from the free agent pool.

Last edited by Musto: 04-25-2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: derp
Musto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musto View Post
I could see Vinny coming back to play a bottom six vet role next year. Put him on a line with Avery and you have two guys that are capable of doing some good things together. Nothing amazing but good. I would also LOVE to see Feds back. Thats a very good bottom six with Boyle, Prust and Wolski.

I also think that Anisimov+ could possibly net us a quality PMD. It's got to be right though.

How's this:

Zucc-Richards*-Gabby
Dubi-Anisimov-Cally
Prospal-Stepan-Wolski
Feds-Boyle-Prust
Avery

There's a lot of flexibility with this group to find chemistry with each other. We already know that two of the four lines work well so all that needs to happen is finding the right complimentary forward for that first line. Could be any one of Zucc, Wolski, Prospal or Avery. Maybe some kid kicks ass in camp. Who knows?

All I know is that a lot of our success next year hinges on procuring Richards from the free agent pool.
Its the same lineup as this season just with Richards injected. No thanks. its time for younger more skilled players. Prospal needs to go, he cant handle the full season and id much rather try to go after jussi jokinen. Zucca will never play 1st line minutes with richards and gaborik. Plus i think Wolski is bought out to free up another 3m in capspace that can be used to sign other players.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Musto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
Its the same lineup as this season just with Richards injected. No thanks. its time for younger more skilled players. Prospal needs to go, he cant handle the full season and id much rather try to go after jussi jokinen. Zucca will never play 1st line minutes with richards and gaborik. Plus i think Wolski is bought out to free up another 3m in capspace that can be used to sign other players.
Why cant Zucc find success playing with two of the most skilled guys in the game? Is he not "young and skilled"?

If Prospal proves to be healthy he can play bottom six minutes just fine. I agree that a Wolski buyout wouldn't be the worst idea but how is a Jussi better than a Wolski (who is also young and skilled)?

edit: What's so wrong with the current lineup anyway other than the blatant need for Brad Richards? Do you want to blow up the team? "Stay the course" my friend.

Musto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:40 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post

Nice job.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote