HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Ryder, 1st line player wrinting all over him.

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2003, 07:23 AM
Dynasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund
I would prefer to see this for my first 3 lines.

Ryder Koivu Ward
Bulis Hossa Zednik
Higgins Perrault Audette

My reasoning is as follows.... Ryder and Ward being 6feet + and 200lbs + would provide Koivu with 2 net crashing wingers that can score and at the same time provide Koivu with spaceout there.

Hossa seems to be struggling as a winger and has said himself he would welcome a move to his natural position (centre)

The third line is a good place for Higgins to start with 2 vets in Perrault and Audette. Audette should not be defaulted to the first line just because his name is Audette. He hasn't earned it, let him beat out a couple of young hungry players for the spot. I think this provides Montreal with 3 balnaced lines that could score!
Three games into the season and I think your first line combination should get some very serious consideration!!!

Old
10-15-2003, 07:27 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine Twin
I know, eh?! Most of these people prolly didn't even have Ryder in their projected roster a week ago. I've seen the proposed line-ups here many times and only about 20% of you here even had him on the roster, when I was saying he was a lock. I had him splitting time with Dackell on the 4th, but I'd probably give him the starting job now. Can Ryder play on the left side?

Bulis - Koivu - Audette
Hossa - Ribeiro - Zednik
Sundstrom - Perreault - Ward
Ryder - Juneau - Dackell

Dwyer
My friend, you must have realized by now that Ryder can play any position effectively!!!!That's just another one of his assets - versatility!!!!

Old
10-15-2003, 07:31 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Season Ticket Holder
Ryder needs to learn some puck control before he can make a major impact. Granted, he's probably a bit nervous and excited trying to crack the lineup.

I'd be surprised if he makes it though. Although with people like Koivu and Kilger already in doubt, who knows...

First line, that's a pipe dream, it won't happen. Fourth line, maybe.

But he's gotta handle the puck better. At least from the preseason game I saw that was an issue.

But we'll see in the next few games how he does.

STH
HA!HA!..."Fourth line, maybe."...I really like that, he started the season on the 2nd line and within a game or two will be playing on the first line unless Koivu needs a couple of games to get into the grove!!

Old
10-15-2003, 07:39 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
The point is that Ryder was selected 216th, was sent to the ECHL twice, yet he continues to bounce back and never say die. You have to admire that spirit and work ethic in a player, and he is hardly over the hill at 23. All in all, if he makes the team and gets regular time on the 3rd or 4th line, he will have accomplished his dream, the Habs will have filled a gap, and we fans will see a slightly bigger and more intense lineup. A win-win-win for all of us.

As for his technical abilities like being able to receive passes on the fly, that should come with time and good coaching. It's a lot harder to teach intensity and work ethic, which he seems to already possess.

"A win-win-win for all of us" for sure, but "3rd or 4th line" a big NOT!!!!!!

Old
10-15-2003, 07:43 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTK
Take a look back at the past 20 years. Guys like Brett Hull, Luc Robitaille, Theoren fleury ; they all had something missing...Hull and Robitaille's skating was a concern, Fleury's size. But these guys had so much desire to suceed. Look at Brett Hull..He doesn't have the speed, Size, skills to be a NHL superstar. He must have something the others don't, he's a future Hall of Famer afterall. Maybe superior hockey knowledge, like Wayne Gretzky. Or Maybe they are just winners.

Look at Ryder. Last year he was arguably the best player ( Garon not included ) on the hamilton bulldogs. He's got average size, skills, speed. There has to be something else....

You are very clever!!...and I'm not being sarcastic.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:55 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
Ryder has some nice skills and I always recognized it! But he also has some big flaws that make me highly doubt about his future in the NHL! His hockey sense is very questionnable, he does'nt have a nice first step, not a NHLer one... He has some difficulty to react well and safely when opponents makes a quick pressure on him, makes sometime some big mistakes what result in bad turnovers... Does'nt use his linemates enough, not a nice playmaker and doesnt have a great vision, he prefer to use his shot too much... Does'nt have nice hands and stickhandling ability... I'm hard on him but from all the games I saw last year, he never impressed me and make me think he is NHLer material... I could see Ryder becoming a nice fourth liner of our future (More effective than Kilger, no doubts... but we will be alot stronger on the wings so Ryder does'nt figure on the top 3 lines )

HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!...Don't you feel rather silly now...you were wrong on all accounts...My friend, never jump to hasty conclusions or else you run the rest of looking very stupid!!...But that's okay, it's never too late to learn!...Cheers!!!

Old
10-15-2003, 07:59 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
From what I saw in the two preseason games against Boston and Ottawa (and I had excellent seats in Section 101, about 12 rows behind the Canadiens bench), Ryder played like an NHLer. He was one of the best Habs forwards in those games. He isn't an elegant skater, but he skates well enough, and he plays with passion. He deserves to be on the team, and I predict he will be.
You are a very wise person!!!...Maybe because you base your statements on hard cold facts!

Old
10-15-2003, 08:00 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty
HA!HA!..."Fourth line, maybe."...I really like that, he started the season on the 2nd line and within a game or two will be playing on the first line unless Koivu needs a couple of games to get into the grove!!
Actually Ryder did start out on the fourth line. And the season is only three games old. A couple bad games and he'll be back on the fourth line. Not a time to potentially put your foot in your mouth with bashing others like this.

Old
10-15-2003, 08:02 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20
finnally someone step up!

I saw the games last year at hamilton and he did struggle but he was injured and still wanted to play, this year he is healthy and let me tell you he as been the best player in the training camp so far (montreal) maybe Ribeiro as been more flashy but to say more effective, no.

Ryder imo as already secure is spot.. unless the habs absolutly want to bring a 20 years old to the club.. (perezhogin? higgins?) both need to learn the pro game.. i like both prospect but i wont fool myself, they are not ready. Ryder is.

Once again you're right!!!

Old
10-15-2003, 08:06 AM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty
HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!...Don't you feel rather silly now...you were wrong on all accounts...My friend, never jump to hasty conclusions or else you run the rest of looking very stupid!!...But that's okay, it's never too late to learn!...Cheers!!!
You're jumping to some pretty hasty conclusions yourself.
Give him some time to establish himself before anointing him our savior.

3 pts in 3 games is a great way to start your career, but that's exactly what it is... A start.

I would stay off the "Ryder for calder" bandwagon for at least... 2-3 more games :p

P.S. what do you think would have happened if Marcel Hossa scored those 5 in 5 at the BEGINNING of last season?

Old
10-15-2003, 08:10 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
Ryder seems like a very good overall hockey player....physical, can score, good playmaker, and very skilled for a rookie....this kid has impressed me a lot, I now can see why he made our team so convincingly....huge heart and very determined kid

Ryder for the Calder

Before even the preseason began, I tried to convince everybody that Ryder was not a one dimensional hockey player but rather very multi- dimensional and thank God, only 3 games into the season and 99.9% of the people realize this to be true!!!

Old
10-15-2003, 08:31 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier
You're jumping to some pretty hasty conclusions yourself.
Give him some time to establish himself before anointing him our savior.

3 pts in 3 games is a great way to start your career, but that's exactly what it is... A start.

I would stay off the "Ryder for calder" bandwagon for at least... 2-3 more games :p

P.S. what do you think would have happened if Marcel Hossa scored those 5 in 5 at the BEGINNING of last season?

Your points are all very good and all very well taken...But I'm merely pointing out how far off alot of people were about Ryder to date...I totally agree with you that it is "A start" and that we should jump off the "Ryder for calder" bandwagon...All that I'm willing to predict right now is that the chances look good (with no gaurantees) for Ryder to have a long and successful NHL career, the extent of which can only be determined by time...But I base my predictions on solid facts and observations from having followed Ryder very closely over a 5 year period which began with his 2nd year of major junior in the "Q"...CHEERS!!!

Closed Thread