HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Sharks Series/Season Postmortem

Old
04-26-2011, 01:20 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
What matters?

I will tell you what matters

IT MATTERS that we made a series of this without Kopitar when our entire offence for what it is worth was built around his skill carrying us for the most part.

IT MATTERS that we had LEWIS CLIFFORD MARTINEZ BERNIER WESTGARTH AND MOLLER ALL SEE CONSIDERABLE ICE TIME THIS SEASON.

We had 5 FIVE count em F-I-V-E rookies on our team four of which saw considerable ice time during the playoffs and WE STILL made a series of this.

IT MATTERS that we overcame some questionable coaching at times.

IT MATTERS that we had a few veteran players who flat out died towards the end of the season and we STILL made a series of it.

IT MATTERS that a couple of our "TOP PLAYERS" struggled throughout this series and yet again WE STILL MADE A SERIES OUT OF IT.

I make no secret out of my absolute disdain for TM's "system" but granny got us here and did his best to get us past the sharks who were %100. THAT F ING MATTERS.

We have Schenn Loktionov Kozun all ready to join the team next season and that is to name only 3 of possibly more fresh young legs to join our team. THAT MATTERS.

Schenn alone is going to be a pretty nice bit of help towards our having more talent and grit up front and if you haven't watched the game that Kozun plays then you will LOVE this kid.

We found a 3rd line that was EXCEPTIONAL during this series and they are ALL KIDS and THAT MATTERS TOO!

We may have lost and I predicted/believed that we would make it a 7 game series and the fact that it was 6 games and it took OT to eliminate us is good enough for me.

Finally to me it also MATTERs that we had so many great people here on the boards show so much passion for the team and that is absolutely so cool for me that I honestly thank each of you for making these playoffs fun so much fun for me.

Even through some personal garbage you guys kept my mind on this series and this game and helped me find that joy that I used to have when I was a kid when cheering for my team so again, you guys rock for giving me that back again.

WAY TO GO HF BOARDS AND WAY TO GO KINGS!!!!!

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:21 AM
Riposte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Wow.... So what's the point? Do us a favor.

Just go jump on someones bandwagon.

I've been a Kings fan for a long time and I will continue to come out and root for them next year.

Riposte! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:22 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
How are the burgers in SJ? You'll need to answer that before Doughty decides to come over.
We have plenty of Diet Coke/Pepsi.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:22 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... I'll just say this.

For those of you who derided Thornton before the series, I guess that goal is for you? For all of the times the Kings have come up short as the perpetual underdogs in the playoffs, I'm also guessing that by now you'd learn to respect your opponent. It's embarrassing.
Let's see him do it in game 7 of the finals C'mon, it is a heated series, of course we are going to make cracks on their history, especially since the Kings and Sharks don't have a cup so we are in the same boat.

You have to tip your hat to the Sharks, they fought their their defensive and goaltending problems and got the job done. I'm not necessarily rooting for them, but I can't say I am vehemently against them going all the way. It will be an astronomically hard road though, as they retain those problems going up against teams that will not be as forgiving, and will not give them as many opportunities that the Kings do.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:23 AM
edgeicator

Quote:
How are the burgers in SJ? You'll need to answer that before Doughty decides to come over.
What kind of burgers are we talking about?

edgeicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:23 AM
West Coast Bias*

Send a message via ICQ to West Coast Bias* Send a message via AIM to West Coast Bias* Send a message via Yahoo to West Coast Bias*
Quote:
He'll be right at home with Wallin. And thanks for being so classy, Kings fans. You guys are set up to be a force for a long time.

West Coast Bias* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Granted, I only saw the last 5 minutes of the 2nd, and the 3rd and OT...

But 2 PP goals, and you are blaming the PP? The last 3 minutes, they had some solid chances, the bounces didn't happen....

I agree, Kompon needs to go, but guys, **** happens, there is no blame in this one game, from what I saw it was an exciting, entertaining game by both teams.
Come on. Yes they scored 2 PP goals, but every damn power play is friggin ugly. They can not carry the puck in, they can not set the damn thing up. The Power Play for a LONG time, even with Kopi, has SUCKED.

Scoring isn't the only indication of a successful power play, and anyone who thinks the kings PP is fine is delusional.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Orenji

Jeez, stop with the flaming of members. People handle things differently. Some are pessimistic. Some are optimistic. It's okay to be down on your team and not believe they can win 100% of the time. It's also okay to never be down on your team and always believe they can win even down 7-0 with 3 minutes left in the 3rd.

I think everyone here is at least proud that the Kings tried their hardest and didn't just roll over and die after Game 3. They showed a lot, and I really hope they can get past the first round next season.

Lombardi really needs to step up and help this team. They need high end talent to go along with their good core. Kopitar and someone like a Richards or Semin could make this team a legit contender in the West.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:25 AM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
We have plenty of Diet Coke/Pepsi.
Ah, that's no es bueno then. Doughty is a Double-Double Animal style kind of guy.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
David Krejci
STANLEY CUP CHAMPS

You guys would've won if you had Kopitar.

David Krejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shellz

I really am proud of this team. But, that last PP just hurts.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:26 AM
ShattStar03

I ain't proud of this team, they've just proven they're nothing but a bunch of chokers.

**** this team.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:27 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Jeez, stop with the flaming of members.

You're the guy who should be flamed. Walking talking piece of negativity.

You're loving this.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:27 AM
milkmandan

sad. so sad that they can't *** win at home. one win in six home games the past two post-seasons.

doughty better take a page out of quick's book and commit to not being fat next season.

milkmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:28 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Bias View Post
He'll be right at home with Wallin. And thanks for being so classy, Kings fans. You guys are set up to be a force for a long time.

Freakin' ROFLMAO. That cheered me up a little bit

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:28 AM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
I ain't proud of this team, they've just proven they're nothing but a bunch of chokers.

**** this team.
You mad bro? wtf is this? chokers? LOL they had far less talent and took SJ to OT in game 6. That is far from choking.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:29 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Oh and a big center ice handshake for each of the great Shark fans who came here and shared these playoffs with us.

I hate that it isn't us but as they say when shaking hands at center ice after losing "YOU GUYS GO OUT THERE AND WIN THE CUP! REDEEM US!"

You gotta go win the cup now and I will be pulling for you to do so. Losing to the cup champs is an easier pull to take I guess.

Thanks for being good opponents.

Old
04-26-2011, 01:29 AM
Leo W

andddd I'm over it. We should've won that game but we were expected to get swept. Didn't have Kopitar that obviously hurts, Quick shined, and we have Schenn coming up. I think Penner will be able to get it done next year and Doughty will take this off season more seriously and realize he's this team's backbone going forward. Our young guys made the hardest push they can especially Clifford, Richardson, and Simmonds. Let's sign another winger and get this **** done and make a playoff push finally, go kings go!

PS Fire Terry Murray

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:30 AM
mtylerjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
3 home game losses. the fans deseve better.
I went to game one. I just realized that that was the only game in the series the home team won.

What a weird series.

mtylerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Franchise13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Freakin' ROFLMAO. That cheered me up a little bit
You can have Wallin if you like. Cheer yourself up 82+ games a season!

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Bias View Post

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
MxK1NGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post

**** this team.
You forgot this sign? I hope so, because then, what fan are ya. You gotta consider what the Kings had worked with against a stacked team like San Jose. That team is DEEP while we are DEEP with ROOKIES. I mean come on....

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:31 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Krejci View Post
You guys would've won if you had Kopitar.
We would have won if we had David Krejci too!

AndenBray EnSchay + orfay AvidAy RejciKay?

Old
Orenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
You're the guy who should be flamed. Walking talking piece of negativity.

You're loving this.
Loving what? Losing in the first round? Of course not. But I was a realist. I was very high on this team until we lost Game 3. Yes, I was negative, but it was a pretty gigantic choke by there part. I thought we probably would lose in five, but the kids showed a lot of heart and won a game on the road.

Flaming members is silly and stupid. If you want to take out your anger on the team losing, go punch a wall or something. People handle being a fan in a lot of different ways. I watched most games and saw parts of every single game this season. I might have gotten down on the team, but that's just me. People handle losses and wins as a fan.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Herby
Culture Changer

Some season ending thoughts

- Kings fought hard, some guys like Richardson, Lewis, Quick and Simmonds really stepped up. Other guys like Doughty (outside of Game 2) and Greene were nothing short of abysmal.

- Murray will return but Kompon should not. All year we talked about the PP, and sure enough it does us in. Yes we scored a couple tonight on broken plays, but when the game was on the line we could barely even set it up. You just look at how much SJ gets their point men involved. If Drew or Jack were on the Sharks they would score 15-20 points more a year. Unfortunately the Kings lowest common denominator PP system of throwing pucks at the net totally goes against their strengths. The Kings employ a PP that a low level ECAC or CCHA team would use. Even though they have 2 dynamic offensive d-man.

- The Kings need to add a couple of top 6 forwards to take the next step. The Kings still have a gaping hole on the LW and more importantly a gaping hole up the middle on the 2nd line. Lewis looks the part to be the 3rd line center for years to come. He even showed some offensive flash this series. Handzus is likely off to Europe and Stoll just doesn't fit, not skilled enough to be a scorer, nowhere near the defensive level of Lewis and to expensive for a 4th line roll. The Kings will miss Stoll in the circle, but they can't justify his salary for what he brings elsewhere. The bigger question is do the Kings add from UFA, trade or the system. Best guess is Loktionov is given a chance to be the 2nd line center and they add a skilled winger or someone capable of playing the wing in FA. Smyth and Penner both return with a combined cap hit of $10.5. Smyth was excellent in the playoffs but lets not forget there were long stretches where he was one of the worst players on the team. Penner is a total enigma but just might be one of those guys who can only produce with a star center on his line, something he certainly never had with Handzus and Stoll once Kopi went down.

- Sometime between now and the deadline next season the Kings need to commit to one goalie and trade the other one for an asset that will improve the team. The Kings have to many holes to fill to keeping two valuable goalies.

- Lets hope Drew Doughty had his sophomore slump in his junior year because he was disappointing for a good chunk of the season and in the playoffs.

- The Matt Greene experiment just has to come to an end. This is Case #1 that I would use in why Murray/Lombardi hockey is bad. Why is this guy wearing an A? And where was the accountability for his play in this series? Matt Greene was without question the worst player on either team and TM just continually went to him time after time. No matter how many times he was burned on the ice or how many dumb penalties he took. Matt Greene may have served a purpose as a class clown type on a young, bad and growing team. But if this team wants to contend next season they cannot afford to have Greene's awful plays and dumb penalties in the lineup.

- Johnson, Scuderi and Mitchell were very steady in this series for the most part. Almost everytime you looked up and a mistake was being made it was by #2, #8 or #53.

- Kyle Clifford and Brad Richardson. What can you say about these two guys. I really hope they can carry it over to next season. But knowing TM he will break up this line and/or make Richardson a healthy scratch. Richardson must have won 80% of his board battles this series, it was a joy to watch.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote