HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Roster thoughts for the 2011-2012 Season

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2011, 12:26 AM
sjmay*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Schenn has to be part of the kings next year imo.

I'm so sick and tired of how he HAS to prove himself down in ahl or develop more down there. That's just utter nonsense. The kid is ready. Let the kid play!!!
The kid is ready? Are you sure? What makes him so ready?

Old
Fangio

vCash: 50
After the Kovalchuk fiasco and Dean's track record, I'm not even thinking about Richards.

Hate to say it..the Kings are too short on overall talent. Dean already blew his wad on the wrong player, Dustin Penner, in my opinion. They needed a player with speed, a Justin Williams clone.

Hell, maybe the roster will be set before training camp like it was this year. No chance for Bernier to challenge Quick, no chance for Brayden and Andrei to challenge a top 9 spot. And where does Slava Voynov fit in all this?

Penner - Kopitar - Williams
Smyth - Stoll - Brown
Clifford - Richy - Simmonds
Parse - Lewis - Westgarth

Willy - Doughty
Scuderi - JJ
Martinez - Greene

Old
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

^ While I do agree that the team was better, mainly due to Mitchell. Be prepared to be hammered by stats saying they were worse.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:27 AM
Orenji

Right now, with this team and system, they could probably make it in for years to come as a 4 seed to 8 seed. If they want to become contenders as soon as next season, they need a player like Brad Richards and a big year from someone like Schenn.

If Doughty can revert back to how he was a year ago, this team could be really, really good.

Old
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

If Kopitar has a long ways to go in his recovery, they have to target Brad Richards. They can't rely on Schenn to be that #2 at this stage of his career, and Stoll has proven that he's nothing more than a checking line center.

Old
damacles1156

Would not surprise me to see Schenn spend the Entire Year at Manchester. Unless he lights the world on fire down there.

Old
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's not like first year pros never succeed either.

Any big move is going to have to be by trade. Unless Alex Tanguay excites you.
I don't know who we would trade in order to land a worthy forward. I guess perhaps someone like JJ or Scuds MIGHT be an option since we're so deep on defense.

Losing Poni and Zeus and adding the likes of Schenn and Lokti / Holloway would be a plus. Lose a ton of experience but gain speed and talent.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:28 AM
Nose of Sutter

Id like to go after Tanguay, bring some speed and scoring into the 2nd/3rd lines

Old
04-26-2011, 12:29 AM
eleventy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
even if the kings stand pat in the off season
I'm still emotional after our season just ended, so everything coming out of my brain may be as a result of that, but I'm not willing to accept standing pat this off-season. There needs to be a significant upgrade to this team's overall skill. If Dean was willing to "reward" the players for pulling through their massive road trip earlier in the season, how will he "reward" the massive amount of heart his team just showed in this series? I don't know the answer myself, whether it comes from within, trade, or free agent, but I do know that the speed/skill gap was pretty damn evident in this series with the Sharks.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:30 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

GUYS, no more Handzus or Poni next year! OH MY GOSH! On the other hand, it'll be awesome to see another Center with skill on the Kings next year, may it be Loktionov, Schenn, or some guy named Richards.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:31 AM
KingsFan7824

After last season, we had one picture. After this season, at least we know Doughty is very young. Very young.

Richards isn't coming to the Kings. The Kings will have to overpay any overpayment from the Rangers, Leafs, whoever. It's not going to happen. It's not just a Kings thing, or a Lombardi thing. Big name players, the vast majority of the time, sign with teams the further east you go. It's just the way it is.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:32 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

the transformation of the team D has been very successful over the past 2 seasons. this offseason needs to be all about adding offense.

penner should be better next year. Williams made a lot of fans this year. Clifford is very likeable, but needs to improve his skating. Lewis is looking more and more like draper. Richardson should not be a healthy scratch next year.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:33 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
GUYS, no more Handzus or Poni next year! OH MY GOSH! On the other hand, it'll be awesome to see another Center with skill on the Kings next year, may it be Loktionov, Schenn, or some guy named Richards.
Dream on. They would have to buyout Smyth to have enough cap space to make a serious offer.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:33 AM
Youngblood93

Biggest need for the Kings is Speed. They need more speed in that top 6.

Some questions to all Kings fans.

If the Kings sign Richards could you see Schenn dangled for a top line winger?

If Richards signs with NYR (many people think will happen) Would you look to deal for Gaborik? Could he be had for picks and prospects considering NYR would have to clear cap space?

Old
04-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngblood93 View Post
Biggest need for the Kings is Speed. They need more speed in that top 6.

Some questions to all Kings fans.

If the Kings sign Richards could you see Schenn dangled for a top line winger?

If Richards signs with NYR (many people think will happen) Would you look to deal for Gaborik? Could he be had for picks and prospects considering NYR would have to clear cap space?
no because Richards would be the top line winger. Richards playing alongside Kopi is the dream, but if schenn nad loki both fail or get injured or whatever, Richards can move to the #2 C spot as insurance

Old
04-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Interesting dilemma at center.

Kopitar
Stoll
Richardson
Lewis
Schenn
Loktionov
(Handzus??)

Old
04-26-2011, 12:37 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post

Kopitar
Stoll
Richardson
Lewis
Schenn
Loktionov
(Handzus??)
Kopitar
Stoll
Schenn
Lewis (with richardson on his wing)

I imagine Loki will be given another year to develop with the intention of bringing him up to replace Stoll in the future

we need a thank you Zeus moment aswell. The guy left everything on the ice the last 2 playoffs. Really played his heart out

Old
04-26-2011, 12:38 AM
KillerKampfer*

Penner to NYI, Florida, etc any team looking to get to the cap floor.

Smyth to Manchester until the playoffs if there isnt cap room or until someone gets hurt.

Richards in. Doughty gets a reasonable number but big raise.

3/5 of Tifoli, Schenn, Kozun, Loktionov, Weal filling in for Smyth, Penner, and another spot.

I take Zus and Poni back for 4 mil combined, my guess is these guys want to stay in LA. THey will be in the bottom 6 next year and bring some continuity. I think the youngsters are ready to replace them but I think the Kings can load up and dump older guys guys in Manchester if need be and chances are Zus and Poni don't clear waivers if Tifoli or Weal or Loktionov out play them.

Richardson and Lewis are probably back, the number isnt a huge deal and one can always be traded if those youngsters eclipse them. I keep them over Simmonds though, I think he is the odd man out in favor of the kids.

Lombardi or whoever must be aggressive. One California team just peaced his team from the playoffs in a series the Kings should have won and the Ducks are maybe the best team in hockey next year if they get good goaltending and replace garbage third liners Marchant and Ruuttu with guys like Laich or Talbot. If he doesn't man the hell up make a run at Richards and give the kids a chance LA will be the #3 team in California. One just beat them and the other has two lines of guys as good as Kopitar.

On D I might trade Martinez or not tender him, he isn't bad but I think the Kings will need to sign someone who can seriously throw down for the #6 D spot. Go find another McSorley Lombardi your going to need scoring third and fourth lines with kids like Schenn, Kozun, Weal, etc playing with Stolls or Smyths. Westgarth will be in the press box 60 nights. Hickey probably gets a look at 6/7 and pushes Drewskie for the spot. I maybe trade Greene.

Future is bright but Lombardi can seriously ffreak it up and have the team fighting for the 8 spot instead of making a run at top seed. I don't want to see any **** treatment of the stud young forwards trying to farm them out to save a year on thier ELCs the time is now for Schenn, Tifoli, Kozun, Loktionov, and Weal to get a game. Ownership needs to fire his ass if those 5 kids arent given a shot next year. All are great options to play on Kopitar or Richards lines and better options than anyone on the Kings right now Brown included who I probably put on the third line.

My team looks something like this.

Schenn-Kopitar-Kozun
Lewis-Richards-Tifoli
Brown-Richardson-Clifford
Zus-Stoll-Poni

Parse/Smyth, Westgarth

DD-Mitchell
JJ-Scudeiri
New third pairing with someone who can fight
Hickey

No confidence in Lombardi to do the right thing and give the amazing forward talent a chance to shine with Kopitar to be honest, I probably look for a new GM.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post

Kopitar
Stoll
Richardson
Lewis
Schenn
Loktionov
(Handzus??)
Yeah, I've thought about that a lot the past few weeks.

I know Lewis can play RW and I believe Lokti played some wing as well but can't remember LW or RW. If it's the former, I would love to see:

Lokti/Schenn/Lewis or (Holloway).

I say there's a chance that Richie can walk. Hopefully we'll match any reasonable offer sheet but there is that chance.

Old
TonySCV
One More Time

Please keep the discussion in this thread focused on the roster for next season just to help us keep the the forum tidy. There are other threads to talk about the playoffs or coaching.

Gracias.

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
Old
sjmay*

First,

Fire Kompon, and have Luc go have a lunch with his old buddy Wayne, and say hey, you are in LA, do you mind helping us out, no pressure, we need some PP help, you remember the last game you saw in LA, yea, the one where had a 5 min major PP to close the game out and we **** the bed...yea, that's the one...well, we want you to help us out, here's some great money, the PP is all yours, do what you want, what, you want to sit Doughty and play Martinez and Johnson, fine, done, next?

Then,

I would take a long serious look at Samsonov, Michael Ryder, Alex Tanguay, Jussi Jokinen, Tomas Kopecky, Steve Sullivan, Ville Leino,

Sign one of those player to a 1 or 2 year deal.

Look into trading Greene, package Stoll if needed to possible get in the 1st round or get a higher end prospect, and go after a C in UFA, you have Brooks Laich, Jason Arnott, Eric Belanger, John Madden, etc.

If you think Schenn is gonna make the team, resign Handzus, if not, let him walk.

Lines coming in next year..

Penner - Kopitar - Williams
Smyth - Stoll/UFA - Brown
Simmonds - Richardson - Simmonds
UFA - Lewis - Westgarth/Parse

Doughty - Mitchell
Johnson - Martinez
Scuderi - Muzzin/Voynov

Quick
Bernier

Old
04-26-2011, 12:40 AM
KillerKampfer*

*I forgot Williams, put him on the first line instead of Kozun who probably needs some time but I think you need to give guys like him a look with Anze. Sorry I can't edit threads b/c of misbehavior.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:40 AM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
no because Richards would be the top line winger. Richards playing alongside Kopi is the dream, but if schenn nad loki both fail or get injured or whatever, Richards can move to the #2 C spot as insurance
good point, If Richards plays in LA and is a center could you see the Kings moving Schenn to LW?

Old
04-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Orenji

Best case scenario: We sign Brad Richards somehow. That gives us the option of either an elite center or an elite winger. If Schenn isn't ready for the 2nd line center role, then Richards could fill that easily. If Schenn is ready, or Loktionov for that matter, Richards can play with Kopitar on the wing.

But for that to happen, Doughty can't be getting a lot more than Johnson and we would probably have to trade Penner or Smyth.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:41 AM
outofrange

The thing with Terry Murray hockey is that even with a more talented lineup next year they still might be in trouble and certain fans still won't put it on the coaching staff. Having guys like Schenn, Loktionov playing hard gritty games is only going to stifle creativity so as long as this regime remains I don't see us doing much.

Anyway....

*Guys like Schenn and Loktionov need to be given real chances because we severely lack skill.

*Guys like Voynov and Muzzin fight it out with Martinez for the last dman spot, and if there are a lot of takers for Greener then trade him.

*Fire Kompon.

*Get Doughty a therapist or something because he's ****ing talented but he's got some issues he needs to work through.

*Quick is great, but if he ***** the bed I hope Bernier is given a chance.

.....Or stick with what we've got. Definition of insanity but darn tootin' Murray is gonna try to make it work a third time around.

Closed Thread