HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster thoughts for the 2011-2012 Season

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2011, 01:39 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Herby,

You keep mentioning 2nd line, 3rd line etc....

It feels the Kings, and the league itself are getting away from calling it 1st line 2nd line 3rd line etc,

If you have trouble with Smyth as a 2nd line LW over 82 games, why wouldn't you have trouble with him as a 4th line LW over 82 games?

I know minutes are scarce etc, and you do have to match up production and salary to minutes, but with the exception of Westgarth and Parse at times, this series, Murray rolled a good 4 lines etc, not sure how they watched the minutes or how close they watched them.....but if are "4th" line,

Consists of Smyth - Lewis - Lotkionov, how many minutes would you expect them to get?
Fair enough. Certainly some teams mix it up and there is a thin line between a 1st-2nd and 3rd-4th lines. But this is Terry Murray and Dean Lombardi we are talking about, no way is that going to be the Kings 4th line. Westgarth is going to play, and going to play a lot. And no matter what line Westgarth is on, that is the 4th line.

Also, Kopitar's line is by default the #1 line because he is by far the Kings best forward and it's not even close. We don't have the luxury a Chicago, Pittsburgh or Detroit has of splitting up two superstars to make a Line 1A and Line 1B. Coaches game plan against Kopitar, period.

I think based on what we have seen recently we all want to see Clifford-Richardson- Simmonds stay together, what line would that be? To me it would be an excellent 4th line. And it would let Lewis skate with Brown and Smyth as a stopper line that could also create some offense but not be counted on to create offense. Obviously using the name Smyth and "stopper" may give some people reservations, but defensively that line was very solid. A lot more solid than when Stoll was centering them, and that's because Lewis is just so much better defensively than Stoll and it's not even close.

Obviously based on your lines you would rather see the return of what was one of the worst lines in the NHL this season as our 2nd line. I really don't understand why, but look forward to hearing why.

I just do not see this team competing when Ryan Smyth and especially Jarret Stoll are going to be expected to produce offensively. As they are in your lineup.

The play of Richardson and Lewis as well as the need to get quality Top 6 icetime for Loktionov or Schenn should make Stoll expendable.

Old
04-26-2011, 01:40 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Put Lewis in the middle of Clifford and Richardson,

I had a post up there, Simmonds full of energy, his hockey sense is brutally lacking,

would look to trade him, package him with Greene and a prospect, see what kind of scoring winger we can get....
Neither Clifford or Richie play RW.

Simmonds is fine. Just had a lackluster year much like DD.

Greene led the team in hits and I believe block shots as well. He was a leader off and on the ice. One poor series doesn't mean he gets traded.

You need to stop with this "what have you done for me nonsense" mentality.

Old
04-26-2011, 01:41 AM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Oh my, this team is only getting younger.

I can already see it....

"Schenn sucks....should have gotten Kadri"

"Uhh I hate Russians...Loki reminds me of Frolov"

"We can't SCORE GOALS!"

Old
04-26-2011, 01:42 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Oh my, this team is only getting younger.

I can already see it....

"Schenn sucks....should have gotten Kadri"

"Uhh I hate Russians...Loki reminds me of Frolov"

"We can't SCORE GOALS!"
You talk too much. Just post a gif, sista!

Old
04-26-2011, 02:00 AM
kingdoughty

zeus will be gone...and i say we trade stoll for a speedy LW. sign a veteran center for SH and 4th line duties

Penner - Kopi - Williams
(speedy LW) - Schenn - Brown
Smyth - Lokti - Simmonds
Clifford - (veteran C) - Westgarth/Parse/Moller

year after next, Smyth will be gone and we will have room to sign Semin!

Penner - Kopi - Semin
(Speedy LW) - Schenn - Williams
Clifford - Lokti - Simmonds
no idea for 4th line

Old
04-26-2011, 02:00 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Fair enough. Certainly some teams mix it up and there is a thin line between a 1st-2nd and 3rd-4th lines. But this is Terry Murray and Dean Lombardi we are talking about, no way is that going to be the Kings 4th line. Westgarth is going to play, and going to play a lot. And no matter what line Westgarth is on, that is the 4th line.

Also, Kopitar's line is by default the #1 line because he is by far the Kings best forward and it's not even close. We don't have the luxury a Chicago, Pittsburgh or Detroit has of splitting up two superstars to make a Line 1A and Line 1B. Coaches game plan against Kopitar, period.

I think based on what we have seen recently we all want to see Clifford-Richardson- Simmonds stay together, what line would that be? To me it would be an excellent 4th line. And it would let Lewis skate with Brown and Smyth as a stopper line that could also create some offense but not be counted on to create offense. Obviously using the name Smyth and "stopper" may give some people reservations, but defensively that line was very solid. A lot more solid than when Stoll was centering them, and that's because Lewis is just so much better defensively than Stoll and it's not even close.

Obviously based on your lines you would rather see the return of what was one of the worst lines in the NHL this season as our 2nd line. I really don't understand why, but look forward to hearing why.

I just do not see this team competing when Ryan Smyth and especially Jarret Stoll are going to be expected to produce offensively. As they are in your lineup.

The play of Richardson and Lewis as well as the need to get quality Top 6 icetime for Loktionov or Schenn should make Stoll expendable.
I see it differently, I see it as being able to roll 4 lines out at any time and still be productive, be it offensively or defensively.

I am fine with this as well...

Penner - Kopitar - Williams
Clifford - Lewis - Richardson
Smyth - Schenn - Brown
XXXXX - Stoll - Westgarth

I think the key is balance throughout the lines and the ability to roll them out will give them an advantage.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:03 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Neither Clifford or Richie play RW.

Simmonds is fine. Just had a lackluster year much like DD.

Greene led the team in hits and I believe block shots as well. He was a leader off and on the ice. One poor series doesn't mean he gets traded.

You need to stop with this "what have you done for me nonsense" mentality.
Sorry, disagree, Simmonds is fine with skating, energy, etc, he isn't a smart player, he plays on reactions etc, if we are gonna make a move, he is the guy to go,

Greene leads the team in hits and block shots, that's great, it is. He also leads the team in asinine penalties and blown coverages....I would rather limit the asinine penalties and blown coverages, make room for the young D coming up, and let the remaining 5 D, absorb the block shots and hits...

Old
04-26-2011, 02:25 AM
SMoneyMonkey

1. Get Rid of Smyth
2. Replace him with Kitsyn
3. ?????
4. Score ze goals.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:28 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Another great season for Kings' fans. Happy that this team made the playoffs 2 years in a row . . we're only going to get better.

Carry on

Old
04-26-2011, 02:31 AM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
You talk too much. Just post a gif, sista!

Old
04-26-2011, 02:38 AM
KingLB

I know I'm going to get attacked for this stance, but I didn't like Richie at center. While the offense that lined produced was great, Richie really isn't defensively responsible enough or strong enough to defend most centers in the league. There were many times in this series where the Sharks took advantage of that.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:42 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
I know I'm going to get attacked for this stance, but I didn't like Richie at center. While the offense that lined produced was great, Richie really isn't defensively responsible enough or strong enough to defend most centers in the league. There were many times in this series where the Sharks took advantage of that.
why would you get attacked? it's completely accurate...

Old
04-26-2011, 02:44 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
why would you get attacked? it's completely accurate...
Richie's line is sexy right now.....

Old
04-26-2011, 02:48 AM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Dustin Penner ($4.250m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Ville Leino ($2.500m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.140m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Andrei Loktionov ($0.816m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Trevor Lewis ($1.000m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Brad Richardson ($1.000m) / Wayne Simmonds ($2.000m)
Scott Parse ($0.900m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)

DEFENSEMEN
Willie Mitchell ($3.500m) / Drew Doughty ($4.500m)
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.400m)
Hal Gill ($2.000m) / Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.816m)
Alec Martinez ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,725,475; BONUSES: $2,602,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,674,525

Ship Smyth and Greene to Edmonton
Drewiske to i dont care

I want to keep Smyth, but his 6.2M cap hit is going to kill us after we give Doughty and Simmonds raises...

If we keep Smyth, we are going with virtually the same lineup we had this year, except swap Zus with Schenn, and Poni with Loktionov.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Dustin Penner ($4.250m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Ryan Smyth ($6.250m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.140m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Andrei Loktionov ($0.816m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Wayne Simmonds ($2.000m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Trevor Lewis ($1.000m) / Brad Richardson ($1.000m)
Scott Parse ($0.900m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)

DEFENSEMEN
Willie Mitchell ($3.500m) / Drew Doughty ($4.500m)
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.400m)
Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.816m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Alec Martinez ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,425,475; BONUSES: $2,602,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $574,525

The 2nd lineup is most likely.

Last edited by Cook24: 04-26-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old
04-26-2011, 02:59 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

I really don't think we can do into next season with the only changes being letting Zus and Poni walk and replacing them with kids. Sure Schenn needs his chance, but we need to address the lack of scoring and speed in our top 6. Also, Stoll should not be centering a line consisting of any combination of Smyth, Williams , or Brown. He needs to be a 3rd/4th line guy where he belongs and will excel.

Old
04-26-2011, 03:02 AM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
can't really start talking topically about this thread just yet, but that gif made me lol.

Old
04-26-2011, 03:10 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Who wants to bet Drew's contract is announced on July 1st when Deano strikes out?
I agree with this 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Richards isn't coming to the Kings. The Kings will have to overpay any overpayment from the Rangers, Leafs, whoever. It's not going to happen. It's not just a Kings thing, or a Lombardi thing. Big name players, the vast majority of the time, sign with teams the further east you go. It's just the way it is.
Why can't LA be the team to overpay for a player they need, for once?

Old
04-26-2011, 03:12 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Ship Smyth and Greene to Edmonton
Drewiske to i dont care

I want to keep Smyth, but his 6.2M cap hit is going to kill us after we give Doughty and Simmonds raises...

If we keep Smyth, we are going with virtually the same lineup we had this year, except swap Zus with Schenn, and Poni with Loktionov.
I would love to trade Smyth to the Oilers, but what are the chances of that happening? Realistically.

Old
04-26-2011, 03:14 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
I see it differently, I see it as being able to roll 4 lines out at any time and still be productive, be it offensively or defensively.

I am fine with this as well...

Penner - Kopitar - Williams
Clifford - Lewis - Richardson
Smyth - Schenn - Brown
XXXXX - Stoll - Westgarth

I think the key is balance throughout the lines and the ability to roll them out will give them an advantage.
Is Simmonds the XXXXX?

Old
04-26-2011, 03:35 AM
ManiacMatty

Penner Kopi Brown

Smyth Stoll Williams

Clifford Schenn Simmonds

Parse Lewis - Richardson

Old
04-26-2011, 03:44 AM
JR28

Why I think Dean will go after Brad Richards hard. Not only will it drive Bob Miller crazy (Brad Richardson - Brad Richards) but seriously. Just look at who Dean has brought to this team through trades and free agency, since he became GM.

Trades

Justin Williams
Jarett Stoll
Matt Greene
Dustin Penner
Ryan Smyth

Free Agents

Rob Scuderi
Sean O'donnell
Rob Blake (I know I know)

Then there are the free agents he has gone after, ones at least we know of and not just mentioned by bloggers/analysts

Marion Hossa
Chris Drury
Martin Havlat

There may be more but it is late and my brain isn't working well right now. Anyway my point is, there is one thing in common amongst all these names I mentioned. That is that they have either won a Stanley Cup Championship or have played in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Brad Richards fits the type of player Dean goes after to a T. He is the perfect DL prototype player. When it comes to the perfect DL prototype player, he is willing to open the wallet and pay them, as he said the contract he offered Hossa was similar to the one he actually singed in Chicago. The fact that he didn't open the wallet for Kovalchuk is not a shock as he isn't a prototype DL player. There is no doubt in my mind that he didn't want to go after him, but ownership had him do it, so he obliged. He wasn't going to go overboard into getting him.

Now I don't know what Brad Richards will be after, money wise, or if his true intentions are to go to NY to be with Tortorella. If that is his choice then so be it. I sincerely doubt he will go to Toronto, unless all he cares about is the money. If he cares about winning the Stanley Cup again, then his best option would be the Kings. If DL were to ring him in, the Kings would jump up to the top of the list, as contenders for 2011-2012. I sincerely doubt he alone would make NY into a contender, as they have all kinds of trouble scoring and although he will help with that, I just cant see them spending all that money on one guy, when they have a lot of other areas need fixing. Of course this is the Rangers we ar talking about so who knows.

If we were to get Richards, I sincerely doubt that Stoll will be with this team much longer. As our Centers will go like this.

Kopitar
Richards
Schenn/Loktionov
Lewis/Richie

There is no use for a guy making close to 4 million to be on the 4th line. Trading Stoll and possibly one of the many defenseman prospects can net us a scoring winger. I know a lot of youare talking about trading Matt Greene, but he is loved by his teammates and I believe by TM and DL. Plus he carries an A and was the Unsung hero. I sincerely doubt at this time he will be traded.

Anyway those r my thoughts as to why I feel DL will go after Brad Richards. Basically we get him and we will be the favorites to win next season. I also hope that TM finds someone who can replace Jamie Kompon. Before you say that with better skilled players our PP will be better, sure doesn't look that way to me with the Blackhawks. I watched there PP the other night and they truly looked like the Kings out there. They had a 5 on 3 and they were passing it around, afraid to shoot and only ended up with like 2 shots. Anyway after that 5 minute major meltdown tonight and the lack of any success on the PP in the series, which had we done better we would of been victorious, or even the season. This tells me this needs to be fixed immediately.

Oh I also think Simmonds could be traded with the emergence of Clifford in these playoffs. He was a beast and basically everything I thought Wayne would be, but has not turned out to be. He has regressed. Kyle is stronger and it be nice to have both, but there are a bunch of wingers in the pipeline that can come in and help (1-3 yrs.) Whether he is traded this offseason, while his value is semi high (after this poor season I think his value has dropped some.)

Old
04-26-2011, 03:50 AM
ManiacMatty

If we get Richards, I think we'd let Stoll and Simmonds go. But what about resigning Doughty? Is that going to affect anything if we do go after Richards?

Old
04-26-2011, 06:02 AM
SuperAlmeida

I hope we trade something like Bernier + 1st 2012 evt. + for Avs 1st (2nd overall). Then we draft Gabriel Landeskog. That would be great! I'm also open to trade Alec Martinez, since we have Voinov.

Another option is to go after Jussi Jokinen. I think he would fit well into our team.

Last edited by SuperAlmeida: 04-26-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old
04-26-2011, 08:08 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Is Simmonds the XXXXX?
No,

I would actually look to trade Simmonds, two reasons, A. he is the one easily moved, and B. I think this series exposed his lack of hockey sense

I think teams will pay for his youth/energy and hope to work on his hockey sense, package him and Greene for a solid winger...

Old
04-26-2011, 08:37 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Why can't LA be the team to overpay for a player they need, for once?
They do, just not the big name players. Those guys sign in the east, with few exceptions. If the Kings somehow sign the Richards, great. I just wouldn't expect or anticipate it. Unless Richards really wants to be a King, it's probably not going to happen.

Closed Thread