HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

$64.3M Upper Limit for '11-'12

Old
04-25-2011, 10:47 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
New NBC/Versus deal is slated to pay the NHL $200m per year for the next 10 years. The old deal paid the NHL $77m per year.

This won't affect the 2011-2012 cap, but will affect 2012-2013. The player's share of hockey related revenue is 55%.

200-77 = 123

123 x .55 = 67.65

67.65 / 30 = 2.255

So in addition to other factors that have driven the salary cap up each year, the cap should go up an additional $2.255m in 2012-2013.

Note: The current CBA expires on September 15, 2012 and the players don't have the option of extending the CBA this time, so the playing field may change entirely.
You are assuming that the current cap structure will stay in place. Not so fast...probably the number one objective in the next negotiation for the owners will be reducing the cap to a percentage closer to 50.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:51 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Sent: Apr 25, 2011 11:06a

Game 7's mean great news for players and big market teams? Why because more games reduce escrow amount/ increase the CAP the following yr.

sent via web
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/brianlawton9/stat...32884015218688

More game 7s this week. Two so far. Gotta figure there will be at least 1 more. Could be three more game sevens.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:56 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Sent: Apr 25, 2011 11:49a

Dubinsky on contract: I want the Rangers, they want me. Let's not waste each other's time.

sent via HootSuite
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/NYDNRangers/status/62543756288729088

Old
04-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sent: Apr 25, 2011 11:49a

Dubinsky on contract: I want the Rangers, they want me. Let's not waste each other's time.

sent via HootSuite
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/NYDNRangers/status/62543756288729088
i like to see that

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:56 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
If we buy out Drury and Wolski's contracts and the cap goes up to $62.2M, how much cap space will we have in the summer, with Redden going against the cap? I got about $25M but I'm not sure if that's right.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:29 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
You are assuming that the current cap structure will stay in place. Not so fast...probably the number one objective in the next negotiation for the owners will be reducing the cap to a percentage closer to 50.
More than likely is that we will see a greater spread between the upper limit and the floor.

I doubt that the league will look to take even more from the players after beating them down in the last round of negotiations.

Additionally, with Fehr at the helm, the NHLPA will be ALOT more unified in it's stance and I would highly doubt that there are going to be MORE concessions to the NHL after giving them the sun, moon and stars in the last round.

NHL revenue has been going up on a global scale every year, they will have a hard time crying poverty this go around.

The same markets that suffered before the lockout are suffering now, that says more about those markets and front offices than it does about the state of the game or the money problems they are having, real or imagined.

50% of the gross revenue is not going to happen.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 06:40 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
If we buy out Drury and Wolski's contracts and the cap goes up to $62.2M, how much cap space will we have in the summer, with Redden going against the cap? I got about $25M but I'm not sure if that's right.
We have to add all AHLers that played this year and are resigned, (we may have some overage from this years bonuses - numbers unknown - to add on here (plus ev scrapping Avery + Boogaards contracts) and resigning our) RFAs (Dubi, Cally, Boyle, AA, Sauer & Gilroy?)

But these are the numbers:

APGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS (7 - at least 5 more to sign - I would say 10 dumping Christ & The Boogeyman)
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Derek Boogaard ($1.625m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Erik Christensen ($0.925m) /

DEFENSEMEN (3 - 4 more to sign)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m)

GOALTENDERS (2 - OK)
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS
Drury BUYOUT ($3.716m) / Wolski BUYOUT ($0.466m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $35,945,834; BONUSES: $1,275,000
CAP SPACE (12-man roster): $26,254,166

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
We have to add all AHLers that played this year and are resigned, (we may have some overage from this years bonuses - numbers unknown - to add on here (plus ev scrapping Avery + Boogaards contracts) and resigning our) RFAs (Dubi, Cally, Boyle, AA, Sauer & Gilroy?)

But these are the numbers:

APGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS (7 - at least 5 more to sign - I would say 10 dumping Christ & The Boogeyman)
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Derek Boogaard ($1.625m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Erik Christensen ($0.925m) /

DEFENSEMEN (3 - 4 more to sign)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m)

GOALTENDERS (2 - OK)
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS
Drury BUYOUT ($3.716m) / Wolski BUYOUT ($0.466m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $35,945,834; BONUSES: $1,275,000
CAP SPACE (12-man roster): $26,254,166
But also don't we add that (15%?) summer increase and also have to include Redden?

Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
But also don't we add that (15%?) summer increase and also have to include Redden?
Redden is 6.5 over the summer, and if the cap is like 63 mil, the bonus cushion will be 6.3 mil.

Of course, the main problems on our summer cap then become guys like Del Zotto. We won't be able to spend to the exact limit until camp, which is why we may want to look at our 6th defenseman being a rookie or a tryout player.

04-26-2011, 09:08 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The summer cap is on page 201 of the CBA. A few pages before that tells you the cap increases by 10% from July 1-last day of training camp. MDZ,McD and Zucca have lower summer cap hits. Redden can't come off until the last day of camp even when he has been placed on waivers 12 days before the season starts. Why would MDZ be a problem with the summer cap?

Old
04-27-2011, 10:33 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Redden spoke about his future yesterday. Has not spoken with Don Meehan yet.

http://www.ctwhale.com/default.asp?c...=59&objId=1360

Old
04-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If Redden terminates, then the summer cap no longer becomes a limiting factor.

We could bury guys like Avery, Wolski without a problem.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:24 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
If Redden terminates, then the summer cap no longer becomes a limiting factor.

We could bury guys like Avery, Wolski without a problem.
I don't think Redden can terminate during the offseason. He can't simply say, "I'm not coming back." If he says that he'd be essentially retiring and couldn't join another team next year (upon his return, he would still be under contract with the Rangers). He needs to physically breach (ie: not show up to camp at which point the Rangers would terminate the contract). Of course, this is speculation, as I can't recall any precedent.

He could decide to retire from hockey altogether by filing his retirement papers, but I think he probably wants to try to find another NHL team to join with a lower cap hit.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:24 PM
mike14

Quote:
I don't think Redden can terminate during the offseason. He can't simply say, "I'm not coming back." If he says that he'd be essentially retiring and couldn't join another team next year (upon his return, he would still be under contract with the Rangers). He needs to physically breach (ie: not show up to camp at which point the Rangers would terminate the contract). Of course, this is speculation, as I can't recall any precedent.

He could decide to retire from hockey altogether by filing his retirement papers, but I think he probably wants to try to find another NHL team to join with a lower cap hit.
But could he not announce it as his attention and thus let other teams know that he will be becoming a FA so if there's interest in him those teams can keep some cap space?

I have to think that there would be a few teams interested in redden at the 1.5-2m mark

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:11 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
But could he not announce it as his attention and thus let other teams know that he will be becoming a FA so if there's interest in him those teams can keep some cap space?

I have to think that there would be a few teams interested in redden at the 1.5-2m mark
How would him making this announcement help our cap over the summer though?

If I'm following what you're saying, he would still be on the roster until training camp when he breaches.

Old
04-28-2011, 02:07 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Rangers are going to qualify John Mitchell

Quote:
Mitchell is a restricted free agent, but Schoenfeld said he would be qualified and given a chance to make the Rangers in training camp.

I was really happy with him, Schoenfeld said. Heres a guy that had a knee injury and missed seven weeks and then broke his foot (in Hartford), so one thing that was hurt was his conditioning. And yet hes a big body (6-foot-1, 195 pounds) with skill, and hes competitive and intelligent. So this is a very important summer for him in terms of his commitment to conditioning. Hell get a real good look as far as becoming a Ranger.
Quote:
The Rangers will have organizational meetings in mid-May in La Quinta, Calif., and some difficult decisions will include whether to qualify restricted free agents such as Johnson, forwards Weise, Dupont, Justin Soryal, Devin DiDiomete and defenseman Stu Bickel.
Quote:
Other top prospects who could be signed by the Rangers and join the Whale include goalie Scott Stajcer and forwards Ethan Werek, Roman Horak and Jason Wilson. Like the Whale and Rangers, Stajcer and Werek battled injuries this season.
http://www.ctwhale.com/default.asp?c...=59&objId=1363

Old
04-28-2011, 02:11 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Mitchell spent 126 days on the Leafs roster so he'll count on the summer camp. His QO is $761,250. Maybe the Rangers can get him for the league minimum of $525,000 in a two way deal in exchange for more AHL money.

Old
04-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
How would him making this announcement help our cap over the summer though?

If I'm following what you're saying, he would still be on the roster until training camp when he breaches.
This is what I'm wondering as well. Is it possible for both sides just agree to terminate the contract?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 02:33 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
This is what I'm wondering as well. Is it possible for both sides just agree to terminate the contract?
From my (quick) reading of the CBA, no. They can terminate the contract, but only if Redden breaches the contract first.

Redden has no team obligation until training camp, so he cannot be in material breach until then.

But again, there's really not much precedence, so I could be wrong.

Old
04-28-2011, 02:57 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Doesn't sound like the Rangers will re-sign Chad Johnson

Quote:
Goaltender Chad Johnson is also up for restricted free agency after leading the Wolf Pack/Whale in wins two seasons in a row. The University of Alaska-Fairbanks product backed up New York Rangers starting netminder Henrik Lundqvist for the latter part of the season, but the net appears to be very full for the Whale next season. With Martin Biron returning from injury, there would appear to be no room in New York for Johnson, who would potentially have to compete with Dov Grumet-Morris (if he is re-signed), Cam Talbot, Jason Missiaen, and possibly 2009 fifth-round Ranger pick Scott Stajcer, for playing time with the Whale next year.
http://www.ctwhale.com/default.asp?c...=59&objId=1361

The Whale's PR/media relations guy Brian Ring wrote the article. Sounds like Chad Kolarik will be re-signed as a group 6. Looks like Brodie Dupont will not be qualified.

Old
04-28-2011, 03:03 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Redden needs to breach the contract for the Rangers to terminate.

Quote:
14. The Club may also terminate this SPC upon written notice to the Player (but only after obtaining Waivers from all other Clubs) if the Player shall at anytime:

(a) fail, refuse, or neglect to obey the Club's rules governing training and conduct of
Players, if such failure, refusal or neglect should constitute a material breach of this SPC.

(b) fail, refuse or neglect to render his services hereunder or in any other manner
materially breach this SPC.

In the event of terminat ion under subsection (a) or (b) the Player shall only be entitled to
compensation due to him to the earlier of the date such notice is delivered to him or the date of
the mailing of such notice to his address as set out below his signature hereto.

In the event this SPC is terminated by the Club while the Player is "away" with the Club
for the purpose of playing games the installment then falling due shall be paid on the first week-
day after the return "home" of the Club.
SPC exhibit of the Standard Player Contract. Page 252

Failing to report for training camp qualifies as a breach. Walking away from the team. Failing to report to the AHL.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:34 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Redden needs to breach the contract for the Rangers to terminate.

SPC exhibit of the Standard Player Contract. Page 252

Failing to report for training camp qualifies as a breach. Walking away from the team. Failing to report to the AHL.
So to clarify, he can breach at any time by just walking away?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:12 PM
azrok22

Quote:
I think it's debatable, and there's really no comparable precedence.

The key language for Redden is "fail[ing], refus[ing] or neglect[ing] to render his services hereunder or in any other manner materially breach this SPC." Facially, telling the team that he won't report to camp could qualify as "refus[ing] to render his services", but his services aren't required until camp.

Essentially, the issue would be: can he refuse to render his services during the summer when he is not obligated to perform any services until October (training camp).

I'm not so sure how an arbitrator would come out, but honestly, I'm not even sure how such an issue would get before an arbitrator, because assuming Redden want's the contract terminated, neither he nor the Rangers would be filing a grievance. So I suppose it would be up to Bettman or Daly's discretion whether we can do it. Of course, this is all moot if Redden decides to come back and collect his pay check.

Old
04-29-2011, 04:56 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Walking away from the team is leaving the Whale during the season and refusing to play.

Old
04-29-2011, 05:35 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

OR....

The Rangers and Redden can mutually agree for him not to follow the teams training regiment laid out for him (bogus I know).

Thus Redden is in breach and the Rangers can terminate.

Obviously this would be a mutual understanding and there would be no appeal to fight the contract termination from the NHLPA.

If both parties want to move on, it can get done well before training camp.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote